• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
How exactly would one tablet be impressive to you?
I ment design wise. In terms of hardware its kinda weird that it can capture 1080p but displays the bare minimum.
Judging by the majority of windows 8 tablets/hybrids I am not surprised MS decided to develop the surface.
Kinda makes you wonder what the hell Asus was talking about when they said MS doesn't have enough experience making hardware when they themselves can't seem to make a product worth a second look.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
RT just looks DOA to me, no interest from OEMs, seemingly priced out of the Android and iOS market this holiday, developers seem to be showing up (mainly for W8 pro, but that was the plan) but it will be a good 6-12 months before it has a half decent store.

MS could be risking a lot putting so much behind Surface RT, if it's a stinker it could drag the whole Windows 8 brand down with it.

I don't think anything bar the rumoured subscription subsidy pricing could save it.

Wiktor

Couldn't you use the Surface Pro as a laptop inside and then pull it out and use it outside as well?

I don't think Surface will make a really good laptop replacement. It seems designed as tablet first that in a huge pinch can double as sort of netbook, not a real good laptop. For now MS seems to be leaving true hybrids for other OEMs.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't think Surface will make a really good laptop replacement. It seems designed as tablet first that in a huge pinch can double as sort of netbook, not a real good laptop. For now MS seems to be leaving true hybrids for other OEMs.

If you don't need the extra power/storage I would just dock the tablet inside to a monitor, keyboard & mouse. Save a lot of money and no annoying syncing of devices.

PG2G

RT just looks DOA to me, no interest from OEMs, seemingly priced out of the Android and iOS market this holiday, developers seem to be showing up (mainly for W8 pro, but that was the plan) but it will be a good 6-12 months before it has a half decent store.

Microsoft has limited the number of OEMs for the launch RT devices. I forget when those restrictions will be lifted. HTC was denied, pretty sure Acer has complained about not being able to make an RT device as well.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Microsoft has limited the number of OEMs for the launch RT devices. I forget when those restrictions will be lifted. HTC was denied, pretty sure Acer has complained about not being able to make an RT device as well.

I don't think they'll be complaining once the sales numbers start coming out.

Azih

The iPad mini is going to really shake up the tablet scene. It won't be as devastating to other tablets as the iPod shuffle was to the Mp3 player market, but it won't be far off.

The iPad mini is going to really shake up the tablet scene. It won't be as devastating to other tablets as the iPod shuffle was to the Mp3 player market, but it won't be far off.

I dont think iPad mini will affect windows 8 and rt all that much. Mini will kill the 7" niche that android started to carve itself, but I dont see it having an effect on larger tablets that can be used productively

tino

Banned
It's a bit of a stretch to lump the Kindle in with the rest of the Android devices.

It was Android 26% Kindle 22%. But the survey was taken before the release Nexus 7. So assuming the Nexus 7 is half as successful as the Amazon Kindle. The total of Android and Android like device can easily surpass 50%.

I really don't care if you count Kindle as Android device, but if you don't then you have to face the possibility that W8 and RT tablets will have to rank 4th and distant 5th.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I ment design wise. In terms of hardware its kinda weird that it can capture 1080p but displays the bare minimum.

Kinda makes you wonder what the hell Asus was talking about when they said MS doesn't have enough experience making hardware when they themselves can't seem to make a product worth a second look.
Surface for Windows RT will have a 1366x768 display as well.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Surface for Windows RT will have a 1366x768 display as well.

i am honestly treating the Surface as a template for other OEMs to build upon. its more of a dev device/comparison tool if anything imo. keyboard and pen aside, surface isn't really anything that special. it really comes down to pricing at this point.

jonremedy

I just pre-ordered the Acer W510.

The only one being sold currently in my country is the 32GB w/keyboard dock. Delivery is supposed to be Nov. 7th.

Troll

Banned
I had a chance to use W8 on a touchscreen today, it was pretty cool. Even after using the CP I came away impressed.

I think it's going to be a really big hit.

Troll

Banned
Samsungs lineup

Here is the full list of prices:

-

Samsung ATIV Smart PCs (hybrid laptop/tablets)
ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T — $1,200
ATIV Smart PC 500T — $750 (with keyboard) / $650 (without keyboard)

Samsung Mobile PCs (laptops)
Series 9 Premium Ultrabook — $1,400 (15 inch), $1,300 (13 inch)
Series 7 Notebook — $1,100 (15 inch)
Series 5 Ultra Touch (13.3-inch touch screen laptop) — $860 (Core i5), $810 (Core i3)
Series 3 Notebook — $450 – $900 depending on configuration

Samsung All-in-One PCs (desktops)
Series 7 All-in-One — $1,700 (27 inch); $1100 (23.6 inch)
Series 5 All-in-One — $800 (21.5 inch)

Ah, that's a shame. Earlier previews said the device had 256GB rather than 128GB.

Was asking about this up-thread. The Smart PC was supposed to have 128GB and the Pro 256 (or at least the option to have either 128 or 256) according to the reports. Now the Smart PC only appears to have 64GB and the Pro 128GB. No idea if there will be upgrades down the line.

Looks like it's back to the Dell Latitude for me. Unless the Surface Pro is less than £7/800 (pie in the sky).

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
Surface RT Pricing

Looks like pricing is finally out for the Surface RT:

$499 32gb, no touch cover
$599 32gb w/ touch cover
$699 64gb w/ touch cover

Touch covers by themselves are $119 & the Type cover is $129

Not too bad of a price point IMO for the RT version. If the MSFT store can gain traction & support from developers, I definitely see windows 8 rt tablets putting up a fight.

Now about that Surface Pro.....

kuroshiki

Surface RT Pricing

$599 32gb w/ touch cover
$699 64gb w/ touch cover

Not too bad of a price point IMO for the RT version. If the MSFT store can gain traction & support from developers, I definitely see windows 8 rt tablets putting up a fight.

?

It seems like RT was dead on arrival, sent to die. No way they can competing against Ipad at that price.

Surface RT Pricing

$599 32gb w/ touch cover
$699 64gb w/ touch cover

so... $499 for RT or $499 for Acer 510 with Atom... yeah, it looks like MS bent to 3rd parties.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Ya looking at the pricing of the Surface RT.its DOA no way you sell that at same price as an ipad 3.
The atom's i expect abit of a premium since its a full O/S with printing,external usb peripheral support, domain membership support and full x86 compatibility.

But windows RT at same price ...might as well be ablackberry playbook

Parham

Banned
My apologies if this has already been addressed, but what is the consensus on the Samsung 500T and ThinkPad Tablet 2?

moowear

My apologies if this has already been addressed, but what is the consensus on the Samsung 500T and ThinkPad Tablet 2?

I would like to know this as well since I've narrowed it down to those two for the release date purchase.

So it's either one of those with some accessories or shell out a few more for the samsung 700t.

tino

Banned
I would like to know this as well since I've narrowed it down to those two for the release date purchase.

So it's either one of those with some accessories or shell out a few more for the samsung 700t.

Wait for the detail of the Samsung keyboard before you make a decision.

moowear

Wait for the detail of the Samsung keyboard before you make a decision.

True. Though I've yet to have any issues the with samsung kb's in the past. All in all, I'm leaning towards the lenovo. Had a chance to try out the yoga 13 at BB a few days ago and I loved the screen and keys. Even entertained the idea of the yoga but the back flipping nature doesn't seem durable at all.

Not the summer anymore:

PCs with Intel's Haswell chips coming in first half of next year

Laptops and desktops with Intel's next-generation Core processor, code-named Haswell, will be available in the first half of next year, Intel CEO Paul Otellini said during a financial conference call on Tuesday.

The Haswell chip will succeed current Core processors code-named Ivy Bridge, which became widely available in April. Intel has said that Haswell will deliver twice the performance of Ivy Bridge, and in some cases will double the battery life of ultrabooks, which are a new category of thin and light laptops with battery life of roughly six to eight hours.

Intel shed some light on Haswell at its Intel Developer Forum trade show in September, saying its power consumption had been cut to the point where the chips could be used in tablets. Haswell chips will draw a minimum of 10 watts of power, while Ivy Bridge's lowest power draw is 17 watts. Intel has splintered future Haswell chips into two families: 10-watt chips for ultrabooks that double as tablets, and 15-watt and 17-watt chips designed for other ultrabooks and laptops.

Haswell will be "qualified for sale" in the first half of 2013, said Stacy Smith, chief financial officer at Intel, during the conference call. Chips go through a qualification process internally and externally, after which Intel can put the chip into production.

Those Surface RT prices are ridiculous.

The Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T is kinda tempting me, but I think I'll wait and see how good its pen functionality is (that Atom processor does sound weak to this uneducated pleb). Is there any other Windows tablet at that price (or a lower one) with wacoom pen support?

Everdred

Posted in the Surface thread and realized this would probably be a better spot:
Well, I hope I don't regret it but I cancelled my Surface pre-ordered and opted for the Samsung 500T instead. Total price for Surface was $535 after tax. Bought the 500T online, which has Windows 8 Pro, 64GB memory and an inch larger screen. For $449. So for $115 more I get Pro, more memory, more screen and the ability to run all Android apps as well.

Samsung 500T
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131397&name=Tablets

What are you guys going with?

tino

Banned
I had the Galaxy Note 10.1 and never needed to use the pen, the pen idea sounded great before I bought the device...turned out to be fairly useless feature for me.

As a Galaxy Note owner, I agree. But I also want something nice. To me its either Tablet 2 or HP mediapad depend on the keyboard bundle. Or I can go w510 if Acer go nuts on Black Friday.

IMO this generation Atom made significant improvement in low power computing, that's why I am staying with 10" tablet and take advantage of it.

Top Bottom