• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Duo 11 is pretty tempting, seems like the best Surface Pro alternative to me, don't particularly like the form factor though and that battery life number seems waaay low.

Many devices are now preorderable now Microsoft opened up preorders for Windows 8:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/st...0151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644884501

Sony Duo has all the pricing on the site now. (for the higher models).

While I like power, the battery time is ridiculous for something like that for every day use. So no thanks Sony Duo.

There is one thing I was wondering about with Windows 8. Isn't it prone to get viruses and ad/malware due to it being a Windows OS. Because I know with desktops/laptops people have always been raving about the safety with using Ubuntu/Mac OS. Is this something to be concerned with when having a Win 8 tablet?

maeh2k

Duo 11 is pretty tempting, seems like the best Surface Pro alternative to me, don't particularly like the form factor though and that battery life number seems waaay low.

I'd take the Dell XPS 12 over the Duo. I don't like the slider design much. The XPS seems like it works way better as a notebook (the Duo has no trackpad and it seems like the display only has one angle).

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want an Asus Transformer Book because I've always liked the design of the android tablets and the Zenbook ultrabooks and this seems like a cross between the two.

But you guys are scaring me with the Asus tablet bashing. :(

I want an Asus Transformer Book because I've always liked the design of the android tablets and the Zenbook ultrabooks and this seems like a cross between the two.

It will be terrible.

Buy it and report back.

popeutlal

Asus had four chances to improve their tablet products, I'm some ways it actually got worse. Oh and if you ever RMA an Asus device it'll go to a 3rd party company in Texas and will come with issue not fixed with scratch and oil fingertips. Everything about Asus tablets is terrible, from the pricing to the tech support.

tino

Banned
I want an Asus Transformer Book because I've a lways liked the design of the android tablets and the Zenbook ultrabooks and this seems like a cross between the two.

My Asus EEE 900 was rock solid. Plus Asus has more transformer keyboard experience than anybody else. Its possible other OEM will botch the keyboard even more.

Cyrillus

I'm not going to discount what Magic Ovaries or others have said because I've read plenty of reviews online of people having issues with the various Transformer tablets, but I've got to say I've had my TF101 since release and I love it, it's been rock solid through all the upgrades and while the processor is showing its age at this point, I haven't had any hardware or software issues. I ended up selling the keyboard/dock because I didn't end up really using it, but it worked very well when I did have it.

Wiktor

But theifr x86 ultrabooks are pretty damn good now. So the question is which will Transformer book resemble more? Zenbooks or Transformers. I'm hoping the former.

I think I might go for the W700 now. €699 for an i3 windows tablet with 1080p is great value.
The cradle is ugly, but the setup Gould just bring me through my thesis.

And if Surface Pro offers a better value for the price, then I might just sell the w700 again and go with the pro.

acer-iconia-tab-w700.jpg

damn is the cradle ugly.

LQX

To me these prices are scary. MS seems to want to go Apples way full tilt and it will bite them and their partners in the ass. Prices should be going down not up. Google will show them the way.

To me these prices are scary. MS seems to want to go Apples way full tilt and it will bite them and their partners in the ass. Prices should be going down not up. Google will show them the way.

Microsoft has no control over the OEM prices. If OEMs think they can charge that much for a tablet that isn't the iPad, then let em bomb.

Microsoft has no control over the OEM prices. If OEMs think they can charge that much for a tablet that isn't the iPad, then let em bomb.
pretty much. The price of the Surface and Surface Pro will say a lot about how serious Microsoft is about taking charge of this shit. Guess we wait and see.

tino

Banned
All the influence will come from surface. When that price comes out for both the RT and the PRO someone is gonna "lose". I am just hoping its not the consumer.

Why would the consumer "lose", nobody force them to buy a RT tablet.

Its up to MS to make effort to grab a piece of the tablet market pie. If they don't somebody else will.

I will tell you who is going to be the "winner" this year, nVidia thats for sure.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Why would the consumer "lose", nobody force them to buy a RT tablet.

Its up to MS to make effort to grab a piece of the tablet market pie. If they don't somebody else will.

I will tell you who is going to be the "winner" this year, nVidia thats for sure.
Its true no one forcing anyone to buy a MS tablet. But to say its not some kind of loss to the consumer would be kind of wrong. If the surface price is high then oems will follow suit. Where as if its low then OEMS will just complain a lot. Also I thought the real winner was Intel.

Zeth

Do we have any idea when we might get Surface pricing? Is $500 still possible?

Edit: there's a thing in a couple weeks, forgot.

Ydahs

Downloading Windows 8 off Dreamspark now. I need a DVD to burn it on, don't I...

Anything I should be aware of when I upgrade? All my current applications should be functional, right?

Jzero

Do we have any idea when we might get Surface pricing? Is $500 still possible?

Edit: there's a thing in a couple weeks, forgot.
The Surface RT maybe, but no way in hell the Pro is going to be that low unfortunately (comparing it to the other companies pricing)

You never know though.

tino

Banned
Its true no one forcing anyone to buy a MS tablet. But to say its not some kind of loss to the consumer would be kind of wrong. If the surface price is high then oems will follow suit. Where as if its low then OEMS will just complain a lot. Also I thought the real winner was Intel.

Tablets in the $100-400 range will be running ARM, so ARM soc makers (nVidia, Apple) are going to make money. $500-700 range will be running the Atom soc. Beyond $800 will be i3 and i5. Intel has moved the Atom platform up market and will be selling more i5 chips so Intel will be making money.

The main loser is AMD because the new cpu market reshuffle leave no room for AMD. I don't expect AMD to survive that much longer. In the old days Intel keep throwing AMD a bone from time to time to maintain the illusion of competition in the CPU market. Now Intel gets real competition from ARM so they won't be doing that anymore.

MS won't be able to make money from the RT OS. The ARM tablet market is too competitive. There is zero room to charge OS licensing fee. MS will have to reimburse most of its OS licensing fee back to the OEMs in the form of advertising money if they want to move any RT tablet.

MS won't be making much money from the app stores either. First of all appstore is not the major source of iPad's profit, the hardware is. And for the Android tablets, google doesn't care if it make any money from the tablet appstore, they don't care if you put google's appstore on it. They just want your eyeballs.

Cynar

I was excited for this until I saw the prices. The specs don't justify a lot of what we are being offered. Sad.

strata8

I was excited for this until I saw the prices. The specs don't justify a lot of what we are being offered. Sad.

Er, which ones in particular? I see this thrown around a lot but as far as I can see they mostly line up with similar specced ultrabooks.

Ydahs

This OS is good... very good. Start menu is a non-issue. Also, never knew you can actually right-click the start icon in the bottom left corner for extra options. It will take a while to adapt and Microsoft will undoubtedly look to improve on its usability, but overall I'm very impressed.

I am noticing some slowdowns though. Might be because I upgraded instead of opting for a clean install. Besides that, I'm glad I made the jump since this really does feel like the evolution of an OS.

edit: some of my Lenovo tools aren't working properly. Can't change the brightness using function keys. Hope drivers fix this :/

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
650 seems fair for 64GB version, and it has pen, is the pen a wacom one everyone wants?
and 750 including the keyboard sounds good.
Hows Samsungs Build quality been for the Galaxy Note? this might be the one to get if the CloverTrail Benches out well.

is there any CloverTrail spec'd machines that let you upgrade to 4GB ram? its to bad that 4GB isn't the standard.

tino

Banned
So the Samsung atom laptop has USB 3.0 instead of micro USB. Thats interesting.

Also where does it say its 750 with keyboard. I can't find any keyboard spec.

And there are 4 SKU for Acer W700? WTF! Somebody sort this out for me.

Gaspode_T

I was going to post a big post with impressions of all the games I am playing on the slate I have here with me, but since people seem super sensitive about this sort of thing I hope to leave the job to the journalists etc out there...

All I can say is, Taptiles <3 <3 <3 and 4 Elements II Special Edition <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 The latter one is so relaxing to play in a Popcap sort of way.

Even the Arkadium Mahjong game is pretty awesome, you have to like casual games for all of these to ring true.

For someone who doesn't like casual games, hmm...the Hexage games from WP7 have been ported and the look gorgeous http://www.hexage.net/

Also some weird things like Judge Dredd vs Zombies popping up on the store, the flood of iOS ports is already starting...I think the overall feel of 99% of the games on the store is basically like iPad, I think it is going to be interesting how people on normal PCs pick up on it - if they like some of them like the hidden object games, it essentially doubles or more the market size for those games...people like my mom would probably suddenly be buying games, or maybe she will continue playing them on Facebook...time will tell

Top Bottom