• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Quick question: Why does it seem (to me) like the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge Twist is completely ignored? Is it because the name is so long?

It seems to me that the specs hang out at least near the top of the W8 laptop pile, and starting at $849 its not that badly priced. Certainly better than some of the other similarly priced machines. Being Lenovo, I trust the reliability, and it'll fall in price even faster. Buying it through your company, I know Lenovo does a LOT of business discounts.

Choice of i5 or i7, 12.5 inch screen, convertible form factor, and a ton of options.

Actually... it seems like a lot of Lenovo offerings are being ignored here...

Quick question: Why does it seem (to me) like the Lenovo Thinkpad Edge Twist is completely ignored? Is it because the name is so long?

It seems to me that the specs hang out at least near the top of the W8 laptop pile, and starting at $849 its not that badly priced. Certainly better than some of the other similarly priced machines. Being Lenovo, I trust the reliability, and it'll fall in price even faster. Buying it through your company, I know Lenovo does a LOT of business discounts.

Choice of i5 or i7, 12.5 inch screen, convertible form factor, and a ton of options.

Because it's an outdated form factor and doesn't come with a pen. The Transformer Book got an i5 or i7.

Because it's an outdated form factor and doesn't come with a pen. The Transformer Book got an i5 or i7.

I like the form factor (I have a convertible now), and its a Wacom. Who doesn't have a wacom pen? I think in screens I did see one, though. Most of these other tabs dont have a pen. Do you even know if the Transformer book has a pen? How does a form factor for PCs become outdated?

The Transformer book also has a smaller screen, and while next to nothing has been announced for it, you can assume it'll have a price premium to it.

We know the Lenovo release date, prices, and features.

So based on the OP, we still don't know if the Transformer Book has a pen?

Also, regarding the Slate 7...it's using a lastgen i5?

It says "HD3000 graphics" on Samsung's website????

The fuck, even the Acers that are like half the price are offering the current CPU that features HD4000 graphics. It matters.

edit: oh I found the better one. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0098O9TRO. odd that it's less than the Series 7, which has an older CPU and a lower screen res?

edit2: nope, all of these websites are showing different shit. totally confused about the samsung's.

So based on the OP, we still don't know if the Transformer Book has a pen?

Also, regarding the Slate 7...it's using a lastgen i5?

It says "HD3000 graphics" on Samsung's website????

The fuck, even the Acers that are like half the price are offering the current CPU that features HD4000 graphics. It matters.

There's been a misunderstanding. The Slate 7 you're looking at, is actually Samsung's last years model. Microsoft gave them out at the Build 2011 conference.

GUILg.jpg

This years model is the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T and comes with a keyboard dock (and a pen?).

A2D3z.jpg

Specifications
Operating System
Windows 8 (64-bit)

CPU/ Processor

Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Processor

Display
Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Storage
128GB SSD

Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Dimensions
11.6" (W) x 7.2" (D) x 0.5" (H)
http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1C-A01US-features

ATIV = Samsung's new brand for Windows devices.

aren't these the new Atoms not the old slow netbook versions

so u should be able to run Photoshop fine but don't expect to run 1400x1080 and 10x layers smoothly

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
aren't these the new Atoms not the old slow netbook versions

so u should be able to run Photoshop fine but don't expect to run 1400x1080 and 10x layers smoothly

Well those are sort of just nebulous conjecture. I really wish someone could get a hand on one and do some real world tests.

From the tablets themselves lenovo seems the best suited to my tastes (the second lightest, one of the thinnest, pen, 10" screen, 3g/4g)... But the dock has no battery :/

All the others have something i don't like too (Dell and Samsung is a bit heavier than i'd like an atom tablet to be, Hp is heavier and also have no extra battery on the dock, and the others have no pen support XD)

There's the Asus tablet, but i still don't know the price, and this thread got me a little worried about the internals quality Asus uses for their tablets...

Why it is so hard to choose?

There's been a misunderstanding. The Slate 7 you're looking at, is actually Samsung's last years model. Microsoft gave them out at the Build 2011 conference.

GUILg.jpg

This years model is the ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T and comes with a keyboard dock (and a pen?).

A2D3z.jpg

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/XE700T1C-A01US-features

ATIV = Samsung's new brand for Windows devices.

ooooh okay.

and no pen on these either, I think. It's not listed as an input device on Sammy's website. I assume that means capacitive display tech.

EekTheKat

Is it weird that I have a Duo 11 on pre order because it potentially has the one of the most powerful config on paper specs and has some proper full sized ports?

Battery life thing might come back and bite me though, but hopefully there's some internal tweaking you can do to stretch things out a bit more.

Is it weird that I have a Duo 11 on pre order because it potentially has the one of the most powerful config on paper specs and has some proper full sized ports?

Battery life thing might come back and bite me though, but hopefully there's some internal tweaking you can do to stretch things out a bit more.

If it was weird, they wouldn't sell it, bro.

An S-Pen is included with both the 500T and 700T.

ah yes I see it now. they should really list that under "input devices". how does S Pen work? is it capacitive? resistive?

The Twist and Yoga aren't ignored by me, they are my fav's. I prefer a traditional tablet notebook. I currently have an X220, so in the future I will be looking at the future X240T/Twist/Yoga's (preferably an X series with upgradeable parts and a full non ULV processor), or an MBP 13" w/ Retina...

popeutlal

So when is bestbuy going to put up pre orders for the win 8 tabs, Canada bestbuy already has the pre orders up. And when are we getting relies for these tabs, hopefully it's before they are released.

Micro SD slot is on the bottom of the HP Envy X2 tablet... full SD slot is on the keyboard dock.

tino, it's ime to update that chart again.

Full specs of the HP Envy x2.

eYFOz.jpg

vwakx.png

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/envy-x2/specs.html

New: beats audio, 1080p FFC, USB 2.0 (not 3.0), full SD card slot (not mSD), optional stylus and NFC. Still no info on the battery.

Date: December 2012.

I love how they describe on-board RAM as a good thing.
"Starts at 2 GB 533MHz LPDDr2 SDRAM. On-board to unleash your creativity."

Time to unleash that creativity, guys.

Oh man the pen option seals the deal.

The HP Envy X2 is definitely the Atom-based tablet to get. 8.4mm thin 1.5 lbs and full Windows 8 plus great build quality. Sucks that it comes out in December though.

Unknown pricing aside you cannot do better than the Envy X2 thus far in terms of design.

popeutlal

The HP Envy X2 is definitely the Atom-based tablet to get. 8.4mm thin 1.5 lbs and full Windows 8 plus great build quality. Sucks that it comes out in December though.

Unknown pricing aside you cannot do better than the Envy X2 thus far in terms of design.
Whats special about the design? Looks very similar to the Samsung Smart PC.

Whats special about the design? Looks very similar to the Samsung Smart PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVQLr1NpW_E

The Samsung is thicker and made of cheap feeling plastic. The build quality of the Samsung looks/feels very cheap from hands-on reviews. The HP is solidly built made out of aluminum, not plastic.

Also Samsung ATIV 500 is not IPS display like the HP Envy X2. The HP is going to be expensive, the Samsung is going to be cheap.

Samsung ATIV Smart PC: 9.9mm 750g
HP Envy X2: 8.4mm 680g

Cnet weren't too fond of the Sony Vaio Duo 11: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-duo-11/4505-3121_7-35477656.html

I think he Dell XPS 12 and the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 are way better. I liked the Yoga a lot in this video: lenovo unboxing: yoga 13
At the end they use the sleeve in tablet mode so that it covers the keyboard at the bottom. Seems like they thought this through.

Damn it! Why do people keep stealing my Ps!
1600x900 display :(

I don't want anything less than 1080 Full HD if it has a Core series processor :'(

Edit: ...but damn if that ain't a sexy hybrid <3

Micro SD slot is on the bottom of the HP Envy X2 tablet... full SD slot is on the keyboard dock.

That looks actually really nice... Except for the part that the tablet itself has no ports apparently XD

Official prices for the i3 Acer W700 according to Acer's websites.

Acer US: $799
Acer Australia: $1299
Acer Netherlands: &#8364;699
Acer Germany: &#8364;599
Acer NZ: $1799
Acer Croatia: 5899 kn
Acer Serbia: &#1044;&#1080;&#1085;. 69999

No official prices for other countries yet.

popeutlal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVQLr1NpW_E

The Samsung is thicker and made of cheap feeling plastic. The build quality of the Samsung looks/feels very cheap from hands-on reviews. The HP is solidly built made out of aluminum, not plastic.

Also Samsung ATIV 500 is not IPS display like the HP Envy X2. The HP is going to be expensive, the Samsung is going to be cheap.

Samsung ATIV Smart PC: 9.9mm 750g
HP Envy X2: 8.4mm 680g
Its thicker because of a huge ass battery, 8000+mAh battery and actually has ports, unlike HP device. Samsung tabs do not use IPS displays, they have their own display tech called PLS, its essentially IPS, its not a regular lcd like suggested in that video.

That looks actually really nice... Except for the part that the tablet itself has no ports apparently XD

Don't see myself ever buying a miniHDMI cable or adapter so I don't really care too much about that feature on tablets especially when most apps in Windows 8 support wireless streaming of content via the Devices charm. If I'm going to hook up to an external monitor for a second screen then I'm going to use the full sized HDMI on the dock.

Having 2 USB on the dock also seems like enough to make up for the limited scenarios where you'd need to move files via USB stick or hook up a game controller or something. If moving the HDMI and USB off the tablet to the dock is what enabled them to get the device that thin then it was the right design decision in my opinion. There are definitely scenarios where you're going to want HDMI and USB, but those seem mostly like docking scenarios rather than on-the-couch or in-bed media consumption tablet use.

The big problem is really going to be the price. HP went for the highest quality build and design possible so I'm expecting MacBook Air pricing which a lot of people will balk at.

Its thicker because of a huge ass battery, 8000+mAh battery and actually has ports, unlike HP device. Samsung tabs do not use IPS displays, they have their own display tech called PLS, its essentially IPS, its not a regular lcd like suggested in that video.

I don't care what you call it, the viewing angles, color and quality on that Samsung ATIV 500 are absolute garbage. I'm sure the price will be very attractive, but you get what you pay for.

popeutlal

I don't care what you call it, the viewing angles, color and quality on that Samsung ATIV 500 are absolute garbage. I'm sure the price will be very attractive, but you get what you pay for.
Not true. Its the same screen thats in Galaxy Note 10.1, which I owned. Angles, colors and quality is not garbage at all, its the same as an IPS display, you can't tell the difference the two.

A complete spec sheet for the Lenovo Tablets:

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/

The Tablet 2 have:
- one full size usb 2.0
- one micro hdmi
- one micro SD reader.
- up to 10 hour battery
- 3g/4g/nfc/pen as optionals
- Gps
- Optional bluetooth keyboard + stand
- Enterprise dock which adds a few usbs ports, a full sized hdmi, ethernet...

The Lynx is almost the same with the following differences:
- only a micro usb 2.0 (but the dock it has two full sized ports)
- 8 hour battery (But it's dock has battery and can double that to 16)
- None of the optionals from the tablet 2 (no 3g,4g,nfc nor pen)
- No gps
- No rear camera
- Doesn't support the accessories (the keyboard and the enterprise dock)

A tablet 2 with the lynx dock would be very nice... But of course they are not compatible XD

To paddle its $600 TF300^H^H^H RT Tablet.

LOL

Edit:

Don't see myself ever buying a miniHDMI cable or adapter so I don't really care too much about that feature on tablets especially when most apps in Windows 8 support wireless streaming of content via the Devices charm. If I'm going to hook up to an external monitor for a second screen then I'm going to use the full sized HDMI on the dock.

Having 2 USB on the dock also seems like enough to make up for the limited scenarios where you'd need to move files via USB stick or hook up a game controller or something. If moving the HDMI and USB off the tablet to the dock is what enabled them to get the device that thin then it was the right design decision in my opinion. There are definitely scenarios where you're going to want HDMI and USB, but those seem mostly like docking scenarios rather than on-the-couch or in-bed media consumption tablet use.

The big problem is really going to be the price. HP went for the highest quality build and design possible so I'm expecting MacBook Air pricing which a lot of people will balk at.

I don't mind hdmi too, like you said, it's one of the things that makes more sense when docked... Usb on the other hand, i can see being useful... for quickly copying files using pen drives... It would be kind of a pain to dock the tablet just so you could stick a pen drive in it... For general accessories, then having ports on the dock really is the way to go.

But i didn't see a sd reader. That would be really nice to have on the tablet to cheap expand it's memory... There are one covered port, but i'm not sure whether it's for a sim card or for a sd card.

&#8364;100 difference holland/Germany must ne a mistake? Or so Rhode Marketa differ greatly?

edit:

what happened there? weird auto correct, or something.

"or do thise markets differ greatly" :D

strata8

LOL. Acer expects us to pay more than the 128GB i5 Macbook Air for this thing? Sounds like a mistake.

edit: Apparently the 128GB i5 model is $1199. Still a really unacceptable premium at 20%, especially since Microsoft and Apple only charge ~10% (eg, the Surface is $500 in the US, $559 in Australia).

moowear

Damn the Tablet 2 pen is optional.

And how heavy is the keyboard. I need to know.

At Lenovo's site, you can scroll through the accessories and a pen is not one of them which gives me hope that it's included in the tablet 2. But if it is a separate purchase, any guesses as to how much it'll actually cost?

edit: also for anyone interested in buying at a bm microsoft store, they are offering a $25 voucher if you do the bing vs google in store test. did it and received the voucher.

Top Bottom