• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

I wouldn't pay attention to engadget's battery tests, they rated Transformer Infinity with 9+ hours of battery, in reality it only gets 5 to 6 hours, even less with 3d games.

Now you can pre order the Lenovo Thinkpad 2, but with this price, you will not.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4910027&sku=T71-101400

It's 30 dollars less expensive on the Ms store:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...goryID.44066900/categoryID.60424800/list.true

But in neither says if it is the model that comes with cellular network or not :(

tino

Banned
So the Dell 10" doesn't have keyboard and the HP's keyboard doesn't have mousestick. I just realize Motorola's bt keyboard (w/ stick) for Xoom is a good replacement. You can get them for about 30 on ebay.

Just picked up the Samsung ATIV Smart PC (500T) from Staples. I'm going to review it and return it probably, but I am VERY impressed with it's inking ability from the pen. Atom is not slowing it down. MUCH smoother ink than with the Sony VAIO Duo 11.

tino

Banned
Just picked up the Samsung ATIV Smart PC (500T) from Staples. I'm going to review it and return it probably, but I am VERY impressed with it's inking ability from the pen. Atom is not slowing it down. MUCH smoother ink than with the Sony VAIO Duo 11.

Can you use the Android Note pen on it?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

AWESOME! thats the one I want to get ..been waiting for any kind of review of the clovertrail systems.

Can u run it through its phases using Photoshop

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
OOoooo cool. I have been waiting to hear about the new Atom performance. sounds good.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Not THAT great.

seems pretty good. Slowdown while doing windows updates aren't really a realworld test of performance.

The real question is..does it in anyway run worse then or only equal to windows RT?
Thats what I want to know..I know it won't run as good as an i5 ultrabook

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
for example this issue.

I have to revisit the issue of 1080p MKV playback. The first set of clips that I created were from the "extras" on the Bluray disc to save some space (the main movie was huge), and they may not have been at full resolution. This time I converted the main movie using MakeMKV (ended up around 20GB) and transferred it to the tablet via USB. Even though VLC player opens the file, after few frames the video playback stops (audio continues without any interruptions). Cyberlink Power DVD opens the file and plays it, but there is no audio. In addition, if you move the slider to a different location in the movie, it starts stuttering and plays part of it in slow motion. Note that the exact same file plays perfectly fine on my desktop computer using Cyberlink Power DVD and VLC player.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to MKV movies. Let me know if I needed to compress this further from 20GB down to something else, especially since the tablet is not able to handle it in its current form.

I use MakeMKV extensively with Handbrake to rip all my Blurays. It does not compress video so what you end up with is an MKV with video at a bit rate of around 20,000 to 24,000 and audio streams that are DTS-HD not AC3

No one should expect any tablet to play that stream..but a full fledged i7 PC? sure..ya it will.

I don't' want to turn into the intel defender guy ( if it benches out shit...its shit) but the impressions from that thread need to be taken with a grain of salt.

dLMN8R

So I went by the Microsoft Store in Seattle's University Village today, and was disappointed by how few laptop models they had sitting out. They basically had a huge amount of the Acer Aspire S7, the same amount of asus vivobook x202e, and that's about in in terms of 11-13" notebooks.

The Acer Aspire S7 is a wonderful-looking machine, though my wife wants the 11.6" version. The only one they had was 13.3".

The ASUS VivoBook x202e was pretty unspectacular. The screen was incredibly reflective with tons of glare, and the brightness was so weak that it was actually hard to see in the store.

Note 10.1 pen works on it since it's just a Wacom UD series pen.

I'd love to, but Samsung doesn't have a Wacom driver for it yet on their website.... Wacom's W7 Penabled driver is not working either. For now, I'll have to test it with none WinTab apps like Sketchbook Pro 6.
That sucks. I guess i will hold off until things settled

tino

Banned
Note 10.1 pen works on it since it's just a Wacom UD series pen.

I'd love to, but Samsung doesn't have a Wacom driver for it yet on their website.... Wacom's W7 Penabled driver is not working either. For now, I'll have to test it with none WinTab apps like Sketchbook Pro 6.

Not sure what you mean. Does it work with drawing application like Corel Painter at all?

If you can draw a picture, can you draw somthing more demanding. My Galaxy Note, is not accurate enough for me to draw detail stuff like face features (nose, mouth). I wonder if I can do it in a bigger screen, even if the technology is the same.

Not sure what you mean. Does it work with drawing application like Corel Painter at all?

If you can draw a picture, can you draw somthing more demanding. My Galaxy Note, is not accurate enough for me to draw detail stuff like face features (nose, mouth). I wonder if I can do it in a bigger screen, even if the technology is the same.

Without a WinTab driver, there is no pressure sensitivity support for apps like Painter or Photoshop. So I can run through those apps for you, but you won't get pressure.

AFAICT so far, 500T feels a lot like my other Penabled Tablet PCs (Core i5), except when the brush size gets big, you can see that it slows down. But we are talking 50+ pixels, which is beyond our usual drawing brush sizes.

I'm in the market for one of these. I need a "laplet" for engineering school next semester. It looks like the Surface Pro is the clear choice, I'm guessing it won't be out by christmas? :(

Mairu

I'm in the market for one of these. I need a "laplet" for engineering school next semester. It looks like the Surface Pro is the clear choice, I'm guessing it won't be out by christmas? :(

I was at the MS Store on Friday, I asked when the Surface Pro was coming out and they said 'exactly 90 days' which would put it at launching at the end of January

rodvik

Me too, or I think I am, at allegedly $600 for one with a keyboard (which i would want) and $500 for one without its a bit pricey imho.

Still a tablet that can use my windows programs is pretty damn attractive...

surface pro won't be out but the other OEMs are going to making their own pro models. One or two of them is bound to be worth buying.

Windu

I wouldn't really call the surface a laptop replacement since you can't use it....in your lap.

Ahhh, I didn't even notice that I couldn't put it in my lap. I've only started looking today. I'll definitely be in this thread towards christmas. Money isn't a problem cause my rents are combining my grad gift/birthday/xmas all in one with this, and I've saved money up as well. I just want to get something powerful, durable, and reliable.

You can put it on your lap it'll just be wonky/potentially unstable/not ideal.

Better off buying one of the models that dock and then work as actual laptops if it's important to you. And then can be transformed into tablets or removed from the dock.

Esiquio

I have Windows 7 Pro N right now (32-bit) and want to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit. It seems the only way to do this is by buying the DVD. That said, I'm the kind of guy that likes to fully wipe a HDD every couple of years, and it's definitely time for that. Newegg has what I'm looking for at $140. It looks like there's no cheaper option for me, unless someone here knows better...

Edit:

This is $70, but I'm not sure if it can do what I want:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbpage.Windows_8_Pro

plasmasd

I bought the i7 256GB Sony Duo 11 on launch day. Amazing screen, perfect form factor for my work. Battery seems to last 5 hrs if just using it for surfing the web.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the i7 256GB Sony Duo 11 on launch day. Amazing screen, perfect form factor for my work. Battery seems to last 5 hrs if just using it for surfing the web.

That thing looks pretty damn cool.

If only it had a MacBook-like trackpad, I'd be all over it (I guess that would kill ability to make it a tablet, though).

Is anyone making Windows 8 laptops with trackpads that are actually good? Does Windows 8 even have good gesture support?

plasmasd

Does having a nipple not really matter since it has a touch screen?

I've been a fan of nipples since I've never been able to get used to a trackpad. The nipple is optical, so its like sliding your finger over the bottom of a mouse. I mean you have the pen input already, and touch input. The only thing I'm using it for is precise pinpoint forms, since the screen has such a high resolution.

Parham

Banned
Is any retailer, other than Staples, currently selling the Samsung Smart PC (500T)? Every online retailer lists the release date as mid-November.

Blackhead

Redarse
Asus Taichi – Stylus, Touch, Screens, Specs and Price | Trusted Reviews
Asus Taichi Stylus
While we’re very stoked to find that the Taichi supports a pressure-sensitive stylus for drawing and handwriting, it’s a shame that Asus went for an N-Trig solution. Unlike Wacom’s digitizer and stylus, the N-Trig ‘only’ offers 256 pressure levels, and needs a battery to run the pen.
HJVWN.jpg

That stylus in the image above is actually a Wacom one, which doesn't work with the Taichi. It's there for illustration purposes only, as the Taichi's own N-Trig pen was unavailable.
:(

Any reviews yet on the Samsung 700T?

Edit: I can't find solid information on release dates and prices for the various models. Very frustrated :(

Esiquio

I think I answered my own question about doing a clean install AND going from 32-bit to 64-bit for the cheapest price. Basically what I'm planning on doing is doing a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on another partition of my HDD, then upgrading it to Windows 8. This way it will only cost me $40 and is a well, fresher install.

I just got out of a chat with a Lenovo representative...

She said that the Tablet 2 will launch on 16th november, but she couldn't tell me about the prices...

She said she was not 100% sure, but she thinks that the model available for preorder on other stores, is the basic SKU with no pen no 3g/4g and no NFC. I guess she said that based on the price the tablet has on those other stores, which makes me believe that the Sku wth those optionals are going to be more expansive...

SteveWD40

Is anyone making Windows 8 laptops with trackpads that are actually good? Does Windows 8 even have good gesture support?

Word is, yes. Windows 8 plays very well with large multitouch trackpads and I heard lenovos yoga 13 one is very nice indeed, macbook nice in fact.

Workers at MicroCenter are telling their customers that Intel-based Windows 8 tablets can't run "real" Windows software.

MS has no IDEA how badly the odds are stacked agaist them! I'm talking misinformation at the frontlines. YIKES!

tino

Banned
Workers at MicroCenter are telling their customers that Intel-based Windows 8 tablets can't run "real" Windows software.

MS has no IDEA how badly the odds are stacked agaist them! I'm talking misinformation at the frontlines. YIKES!

I don't know what were they thinking. Even the MS sales people don't know the difference between RT and Atom tablets from that Verge article.

Windu

Is it just me or does metro google chrome really suck ass at the moment? hideous colours and windows 95 era scrollbars.
Its not just you. Metro Chrome shittiness and metro IE awesomness made me switch to IE10.

EekTheKat

As a test, out of curiosity :

0rQZRl.jpg

Beat the tutorial mission as a test entirely in tablet mode. It's playable, though touch isn't as good as using the stylus on this one. Stylus is much more accurate and some of the UI elements are a bit small.

X-Com is largely already tablet friendly, the touch interface is still emulating a mouse - but there are on screen buttons for most of the key actions. With a few minor tweaks X-com can be easily a very touch friendly game.

Game is passable at 720p (intel integrated HD4000), I tend to not crank up the settings so the tablet doesn't stress out + overheat too much. Ironically I think this matches the settings found on the console version of the game.

One issue is map navigation, since the touch interface is emulating a mouse more or less you have to drag your finger to the edge of the screen to move it.

thank god you posted that because i was seriously considering the vaio :eek: now that's off my list. so i think the Samsung 500T is the tablet for me, but the only thing that worries me is the Atom processor

i want to run toon boom studio on this, do you think that it will be a capable enough machine? the thought of having a small cintiq-like tablet excites me!

500T's Atom CPU is too slow for something like Toon Boom. Get 500T's bigger brother: Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T. It's same price as that Sony ($1200), but with Wacom like 500T. Core i5 and 1080p IPS LCD like Sony, 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD.

500T's Atom CPU is too slow for something like Toon Boom. Get 500T's bigger brother: Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T. It's same price as that Sony ($1200), but with Wacom like 500T. Core i5 and 1080p IPS LCD like Sony, 4GB of RAM, 128GB SSD.

ah! that seems to be just what i was looking for. I was trying to find the 700T but all i was finding was a tablet that i think was released last year (think it was an older version of the 700T?) Anyways, awesome! thanks so much! i've been a mac user for years, but i always wanted a capable tablet for drawing on, and these seem to be exactly that.

ah! that seems to be just what i was looking for. I was trying to find the 700T but all i was finding was a tablet that i think was released last year (think it was an older version of the 700T?) Anyways, awesome! thanks so much! i've been a mac user for years, but i always wanted a capable tablet for drawing on, and these seem to be exactly that.

Yes, that's the last year's model. Older Core i5 and much lower resolution LCD are the main differences (and Win 8 vs Win 7 of course). Great machine if not for the LCD resolution.

Mairu

Considering the similarity between the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 700T & the Surface Pro - is it safe to assume the price is gonna be the same around $1200?

How's the 700T faring in reviews? Not sure if I'll be able to hold off until January/February for a Win8 laptop/tablet after I return the Surface.

Considering the similarity between the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 700T & the Surface Pro - is it safe to assume the price is gonna be the same around $1200?

How's the 700T faring in reviews? Not sure if I'll be able to hold off until January/February for a Win8 laptop/tablet after I return the Surface.

LOL, I have a ban bet with someone who think Surface Pro will be less than $800. I told them it will be $1200. That was few months ago.

No 700T out in the wild yet so no reviews. I personally think 700T will be better art machine than Surface Pro because of the bigger screen size. 10" is too small. 11.6" is better.

Top Bottom