• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

^^^ The Photoshop demo is kind of leggy, but usable. If you don't use the brush tool is entirely usable. Photoshop is not that demanding.

I problem is with the Samsung pen, I just don't think its accurate and responsive enough to draw human face. This is based on my experience with Galaxy Note phone.

Tino Tino Tino... How many time do I have to explain the same thing?

I'll do a special video just for you soon (tonight?) comparing the same S-Pen on Quad core on Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), dual core Atom on Windows 8 (Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T), and full voltage dual core Core i5 on Windows 7 (Fujitsu T900).

It should be enlightening for you.

I'll do a special video just for you soon (tonight?) comparing the same S-Pen on Quad core on Android (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1), dual core Atom on Windows 8 (Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T), and full voltage dual core Core i5 on Windows 7 (Fujitsu T900).

Looking forward to this

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I wonder if running an older version of photoshop would be better? I own CS4, not sure if that'd run faster. It doesn't look too bad in that video.

tino

Banned

Are you saying drawing accuracy rely more on the processing speed than the technology that pen uses? OK show me your video.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Hey guys, I received some messages requesting that I run photoshop and some games on the Ativ, so I made a second, short video so that you guys can judge the performance yourself. Needless to say, people who would like to game on the device are better off getting the pro version, but to reiterate, the pro version has its own set of caveats, such as heavier weight, heat and battery life.

Thx for taking the time to do this, its much appreciated. The wait for this to get delivered Here is such a pain in the ass.

Do you perhaps have anyother light steam games you could run..something that has video options?

Something like Torchlight..which lets you pick detail and even has a netbook mode..

If not no worries...just limbos such a weird game it has zero configure options to tweak so can't really see why that other game ran great, but Limbo ran like crap

With my luck Mine won't even be hear for christmas LOL

tino

Banned
Some of the Black Friday ads are out. I checked out Dell, Radioshack, Target, none of them have any W8 tablet deal.

Only Best Buy and Newegg can save me now!

Some of the Black Friday ads are out. I checked out Dell, Radioshack, Target, none of them have any W8 tablet deal.

It's so shitty! It seems OEMs are phoning this shit in! Either their deliberately shooting themselves in the foot to kill off this market or they're wholly incompetent. The only press outside of MS I'm seeing is Acer coming out and shitting on stage. I'm particularly saddened by Lenovo since I need their devices in me :(

popeutlal

Don't have confidence in best buy, they only have two Win 8 devices listed, one you can't buy. They had the Acer W510 listed...but it was actually removed from their site.

Are you saying drawing accuracy rely more on the processing speed than the technology that pen uses? OK show me your video.

Accuracy depends on screen size vs digitizer DPI. 500DPI (Wacom UD digitizer's approximate resolution rounded down) @ 5" LCD = ~2500 dots diagonally for the entire screen. At 10.1", you have ~5000 dots diagonally. At 13.3 like my T902, it's 6600+ dots diagonally. With the same digitizer tech, my T902's screen is almost 3 times as precise as the Galaxy Note phone.

My video will be focusing on slightly different topic. Tune in.

moowear

Accuracy depends on screen size vs digitizer DPI. 500DPI (Wacom UD digitizer's approximate resolution rounded down) @ 5" LCD = ~2500 dots diagonally for the entire screen. At 10.1", you have ~5000 dots diagonally. At 13.3 like my T902, it's 6600+ dots diagonally. With the same digitizer tech, my T902's screen is almost 3 times as precise as the Galaxy Note phone.

My video will be focusing on slightly different topic. Tune in.

Looking forward to your rundown man. Was following your thread on tablepcreview. Good stuff.

Was able to pic up the 500t sans keyboard launch day. Called Staples directly and they've no idea when they'll be getting the keyboards or additional 500ts in.

Demand seems high at my work place as everyone is going bonkers at the lack of availability between this and the Yoga 13. :|

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Anyone know how much free space is available on a 64GB Windows 8 Tablet x86 (non-RT).
How much does the OS take up?
Out if the box, the ativ has 30 gigs free. You may squeeze out more if you do a fresh install yourself, but Samsung did not add a lot of bloatware to the system.

gogogow

Out if the box, the ativ has 30 gigs free. You may squeeze out more if you do a fresh install yourself, but Samsung did not add a lot of bloatware to the system.

That's not a lot and with the regular Windows updates, it's gonna be worse. At least with the Ativ you can use a MicroSD, but other tablets don't even have a memory expansion slot. Thanks for answering my questions.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
That's not a lot and with the regular Windows updates, it's gonna be worse. At least with the Ativ you can use a MicroSD, but other tablets don't even have a memory expansion slot. Thanks for answering my questions.
most if not all of the tablets I have seen have a sd slot.

gogogow

most if not all of the tablets I have seen have a sd slot.

Acer W700 (Core i3, I think the i5 also doesn't have it) doesn't. It's the only reasonably priced Windows 8 tablet imo (€699), with 1080p IPS screen, 64GB SSD, but doesn't have a MicroSD slot, only their Atom version has one, doesn't make sense at all....

For Samsung, Asus, for around the same price, you can probably only get the RT versions or Atom versions with a 1366x768 screen. I think i'll hold off and wait for the 2nd generation of Windows tablet or when the 128GB versions gets cheaper.

strata8

Acer W700 (Core i3, I think the i5 also doesn't have it) doesn't. It's the only reasonably priced Windows 8 tablet imo (€699), with 1080p IPS screen, 64GB SSD, but doesn't have a MicroSD slot, only their Atom version has one, doesn't make sense at all....

For Samsung, Asus, for around the same price, you can probably only get the RT versions or Atom versions with a 1366x768 screen. I think i'll hold off and wait for the 2nd generation of Windows tablet or when the 128GB versions gets cheaper.

At the W700 price both of those would include a $150 dock.

gogogow

At the W700 price both of those would include a $150 dock.

150? Isn't it just a piece of plastic with a USB hub?

7620-11037-Acer-Iconia-W700-Windows-8-tablet-dock.jpg

Jado

Banned
I played around with the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T at Staples. Feature-wise, everything seems good and makes sense... except the resolution. Why 1366 x 768? That's underwhelming given the price, 11.6 inch screen size, and in comparison to similar devices pulling off 1080p and up. Worse yet, many RT and Win 8 devices (all the Atom tablets?) are popping up with this res. I bought a tablet PC in mid 2008(!) that was 1280 x 800, roughly the equivalent of this. This is as bad as the continuing prevalence of gigantic PC monitors at the unnecessarily subpar resolution of 1920 x 1080.

If the iPad 4, Nexus 10, and even the months old Transformer can pull off nice pixel densities, why not these brand-new devices? Are the internals too underpowered to manage it? Note that I'm not referring to i5/i7 devices which are much more expensive, have vents, run hotter and have diminished battery life.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I played around with the Samsung ATIV Smart PC 500T at Staples. Feature-wise, everything seems good and makes sense... except the resolution.

They are just offering different pricing options for differently specced machine. If you want 1080p, get the smart pc pro, they all belong to the same lineup of tablet pcs from Samsung. Also, I did a side by side comparison of the pen performance at the store. The Pro version running the i5 actually has slightly more lag when using the pen in S-note. Since the non-pro version running the atom is using a slower processor, I can only attribute this discrepancy in performance to the increased screen resolution on the pro, so if the Atom variant is going Full HD, the performance will be seriously impacted. IMO, the choice not to use a Full HD screen is probably for performance reasons.

Windu

The ativ looks much better in person imo.

The bezel did seem a little too big though when holding it in my hands.

Windu

OEM's are really sucking hard, its like they didnt' expect anyone to actually want a windows 8 tablet.
yeah I went to staples earlier and saw the ativ smart pc and that was the only windows 8 tablet there and you couldn't buy it. There were a few laptops there though (the trackpads were ok, only gestures they seemed to support were the swipe from the left for the charms).

tino

Banned
yeah I went to staples earlier and saw the ativ smart pc and that was the only windows 8 tablet there and you couldn't buy it. There were a few laptops there though (the trackpads were ok, only gestures they seemed to support were the swipe from the left for the charms).

I went to Staples a second time and there was still no Samsung tablet. It was on the flayer though. The clerk tried to sell me a stupid Lenovo convertible (the type you can twist the screen). Hilariously he discovered it had no touch screen.

Jado

Banned
Think I'm gonna bite on the Samsung tablet, resolution be damned. Hopefully still in stock at the nearby Staples.

The situation with these tablets seems really bad. At that Staples store, a French guy on vacation was dissatisfied with his RT Surface purchased elsewhere (something to do with Flash support), and was looking for a tablet with full Windows 8. I was messing with the Samsung Ativ and the store rep pointed the guy to it... but erroneously claimed it only had RT on it! I butted in and showed him otherwise. Dude was grateful and ended up purchasing it after testing it out, but I wonder how many others have been led astray by confused or misinformed store reps.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Dad just got shipping notification from bestbuy.ca (hamilton ontario)that the Samsung SmartPC has shipped from their warehouse ..he should have it in friday or monday.
so some shipments are trickling out.

Jado

Banned
Shit. Sold out and the listing for it is now gone from the Staples website. Strange. What's the deal with these devices? There aren't even any reviews from tech sites.

popeutlal

Shit. Sold out and the listing for it is now gone from the Staples website. Strange. What's the deal with these devices? There aren't even any reviews from tech sites.
Only think I can think off is manufacturing issue for Samsung. Others haven't even come to the market yet.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
ya know there was some grumblings a month or so ago that intel wasn't ready for windows 8 launch..maybe its a lack of chips holding OEM's back.

maeh2k

Looks like everyone is still trying hard to sell what's left of their Windows 7 stock.

I went to one big electronics store and one notebook store this week. Didn't seem like they want to sell new Windows 8 devices. There were some, but they were just sitting somewhere surrounded by Windows 7 systems, devices with touchscreens weren't marked in any way, and all the exciting new devices were nowhere to be found. Haven't seen any tablets or convertibles (apart from a couple of Asus Android tablets and the transformer).

Jado

Banned
If you're actually interested in the $650 Samsung Ativ Smart PC and bother to look it up on Google, you mostly get hits for the upcoming $800 AT&T version, mixed in with websites about the i5 version that costs $1200.

Between the scarcity, RT vs Win8 confusion, lack of general info and reviews, and potential price mix-ups, this has to be one of the worst launches for a line of products I've encountered.

Top Bottom