• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Oops! My mistake. I am referring to device driver it uses to detect the S-Pen. I have been running into the exact same problem as you; sometimes it doesn't recognize the pen when I wake the tablet up from sleep. Usually, I have to bring up the device manager and uninstall / re-detect the hardware to get the pen working again.

I only had the Penabled driver couple of days before I returned it, but I don't remember it having wake up problem with the Penabled driver, so try installing that, even if you don't care about having pressure sensitivity for Win Tab apps. Penabled driver takes over the MS driver for the pen.

http://cdn.wacom.com/U/drivers/TabletPC/ISD_DualTouch_710-8.zip

Since Acer decided not to let us know when their i5 W700 releases, I need to reconsider my strategy.

My budget is €1000.

What I want to do:

- Play Team Fortress 2
- Surf the Web
- Edit Word Documents

So because of TF2 I need at least an core i processor, otherwise a Microsoft Surface would suffice. But now, I am not so sure. Maybe I buy a Mid-Range ultrabook and a surface? I really want a Windows Tablet, so iPad or Android is no option

Hmmmm what do you guys recommend me?

Jado

Banned
Over the weekend, the Samsung Smart PC showed up in stock at several Staples stores in the city. I go to their site this morning and it has a $600 in-store sale ($50 off). Check availability... out of stock everywhere. Honestly think that's bullshit and they're just fucking with us; either there were none in the first place or they're withholding supply until after this little sale (jack price back up and hoard stock for Black Friday?).

This is the sort of infuriating shit that would've led the average person to just say fuck it and get an iPad or Android tablet. Only thing keeping me from doing so is that I specifically want x86 compatibility and Wacom-enabled screen in a compact size.

Does anyone know when Haswell tablets are out?

Over the weekend, the Samsung Smart PC showed up in stock at several Staples stores in the city. I go to their site this morning and it has a $600 in-store sale ($50 off). Check availability... out of stock everywhere. Honestly think that's bullshit and they're just fucking with us; either there were none in the first place or they're withholding supply until after this little sale (jack price back up and hoard stock for Black Friday?).

This is the sort of infuriating shit that would've led the average person to just say fuck it and get an iPad or Android tablet. Only thing keeping me from doing so is that I specifically want x86 compatibility and Wacom-enabled screen in a compact size.

Does anyone know when Haswell tablets are out?
Yeah, between the prices, availability, consumer information it sounds almost as they don't want us to purchase their products XD

No wonder why Apple is kicking everyone else in the butt right now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This is unfortunate, it seems like there aren't any windows 8 hybrids in stock anywhere, and dates are getting pushed back left and right. I imagine it won't be until December until things are regularly in stock and also being released. This sucks because I am in the market for a new laptop and I want it to be hybrid.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Yeah, between the prices, availability, consumer information it sounds almost as they don't want us to purchase their products XD

No wonder why Apple is kicking everyone else in the butt right now.

sales of apple are down relative to android in 2012
by end of 2012 android will have more then 50% of the tablet market..

MS's partners are really dropping the ball. If they couldn't get any hardware in the retail channel till later they should have just came out and said so

popeutlal

I'll blame MS more than OEMs, MS decided not to release the RT tab at retail - they decided not to release an atom tab. MS should've know these companies will screw it up...just look at every single shitty Andoid tablet they have released. Why did MS think they do better for them?

Totakeke

Hahah, I guess MS should be proud that now it's their fault that everyone else is screwing up.

There's very little reason to believe Intel is not the bottleneck here. Unless OEMs has always been this way all the while and people only cared this time because it's exciting new form factors.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Hahah, I guess MS should be proud that now it's their fault that everyone else is screwing up.

There's very little reason to believe Intel is not the bottleneck here. Unless OEMs has always been this way all the while and people only cared this time because it's exciting new form factors.

ya i feel like your right and this has more to do with production yields on intels end. man would be a great story for some journalist to dig into tho

Laekon

It's also not an Ivy Bridge processor so it has the 3000 GPU. While it doesn't matter on a desk top on an ultra book it's noticeably better performance with longer battery life. For the price it's still a great deal except for any Asus quality or track pad issues.

PSGames

Sooo I was one of the lucky few to purchas a Samsung Smart PC yesterday when a couple stores in Atlanta mysteriously got one in stock. Called the store and had them hold it for me. a good 40 min drive later i get there and some guy is arguing with the manager and pissed that they held it for me. Dude was being a total ass but anyway i got the tablet and im going to do a video comparison between it and the Tegra 3 tablets tomorrow. In the meantime theres been a new benchmark app released in the Windows store. Here are the results:

Asus Vivo Tab (1.3ghz Tegra 3)

S4lkJl.jpg

Samsung ATIV Smart PC (1.8ghz Atom z2760)

QyPG2l.jpg

Jado

Banned
On the Surface RT
Screenshot%20(7).png

God someone needs to make a working imgur app.

Totakeke, put your image in a quote tag. It's way too big.

I managed to get the Samsung Smart PC after calling five Staples stores with "low stock" (e.g. sold out). One store had a single unit left and the guy wouldn't hold it for me because it was a promo item. It was the end of the workday anyway, so I went over immediately and nabbed it while a seemingly interested guy was messing around with the display unit. One store clerk said that if there was only one unit left, then it had to be the display unit. I walked away from him.

The guy who got me the unit was very aggressively trying to sell me their shitty store warranty and I repeatedly insisted I would be fine without it. When he wouldn't let it go, I decided to just annoy him by saying I would get a far less expensive SquareTrade warranty if necessary (which he stupidly claimed was "the worst"). By the end of the checkout process he said I would regret my decision, have only 14 days to return it, and expected to see me back within that time.

Anyway, I haven't had much time to mess around with the tablet. Youtube audio/video was very clear in fullscreen HD, the auto dimming was annoying so I turned it off, Sketchbook Pro ran well. I installed Steam and will test out some adventure games; can't see myself playing any other kind of PC game that needs a full keyboard and quick reflexes.

I'm inclined for sony vaio duo 11 (i7) version, but it's not using wacom digitiser.

So now I'm a bit torn between it and samsung ativ smart pc pro... never a big fan of transformer... a bit of hassle having the two bits...

I'm inclined for sony vaio duo 11 (i7) version, but it's not using wacom digitiser.

So now I'm a bit torn between it and samsung ativ smart pc pro... never a big fan of transformer... a bit of hassle having the two bits...

If you want it to do art, avoid Sony. It's NTrig digitizer is shit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW0AAHhQrbk

Also, having two bits give you freedom to leave the keyboard at home and make it lighter for you to carry. Sony will always be a 3 lb fatty...

Wait, tegra 3's RAM speed access is actually lower than accessing the disk? That makes no sense XD

OMG that can't be right... But then again, Atom's 260MB/s (can't read the image) or whatever ain't close to the bandwidth or the RAM either, so it must be some kind of specialized situation test.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanna get the Ativ Smart PC (500T) but can't find the white version anywhere. Does anyone know where the fuck to buy it from?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member

maeh2k

So, worth getting or not?

I don't know. It probably is a pretty great deal. Don't think you can really go wrong at that price. However, I recommend reading some UX31E reviews and also some UX31A reviews that highlight the improvements over the E. Maybe some of the early issues (touch pad) have been fixed by new drivers by now.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I have an online retailer in the UK saying they can deliver me a Samsung ATIV PC Pro (i5 64gb SSD, no keyboard) by 10:30am tomorrow!

Waiting to see how far down the process I'll get before they tell me they don't have any. But they were open about having no keyboards (which is why I ordered this one)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Wow looks like I'm really getting one I've got delivery instructions from the courier!

No Keyboard is a bit of an arse but I'm sure I'll be able to pick one up after market before too long, I'll have to fashion a stand of some description and get a usb hub.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Where the hell are the white ATIVs? I don't want the damn mystic blue model.

Today I played around with some RT tablet, I think VivoTab? Was allright, does not feel different from W8 at all and the tablet felt well made. the price is much too high though, more expensive than iPad for some third party RT tablet? no way.

I also toyed around with a Sony Touch-Desktop all in one device, but the screen was not responsive enough. especially the charm and task-switch gestures needed one or two tries to work.

Jado

Banned
Where the hell are the white ATIVs? I don't want the damn mystic blue model.

Never seen one in store displays or unboxing videos on Youtube. Good guess is that there are no white ATIVs out in retail yet. All websites I've seen that list this tablet show only the regular model as an option (and it's usually sold out anyway).

I installed the Comixology app on the tablet. It's a preview app without in-app purchases and it runs a little buggy when navigating, but the comics themselves look very nice in portrait mode.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I wonder why. Now debating if I should wait for the Lenovo Lynx or just pick up the ATIV.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
just a warning to my fellow Canucks

It appears the 699. Samsung ATIV Smart PC sold at bestbuy.ca does NOT come with the S-Pen.
It sounds like its the stripped down version they're selling at AT&T minus 4G

shitty

Top Bottom