• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Homeboyd

Need some help picking out a tablet/convertible:

Would prefer an 11" but 13" is ok. Want a convertible. Want full Windows 8, not RT. Want it for work as well as home. Like the Lenovo yoga 11s and 13, but the 11s only has RT and the Windows 8 version doesn't come out til June so I'm told. I LOVE the Helix but god damn at that price (and it's not out yet; Feb I think?). Dell XP12 is nice but I'm not sure how I feel about the moving parts with the screen flip and it's pricey as well.

The transformer is nice as well but pricey and I'd prefer a convertible that keeps the keyboard/tablet attached while using it like a tablet. I know it's heavier, but I don't like separating the two for several reasons (won't get in to here).

Suggestions? Other options I'm not considering? Is Helix up there as one of the better convertibles?

Would prefer an 11" but 13" is ok. Want a convertible. Want full Windows 8, not RT. Want it for work as well as home. Like the Lenovo yoga 11s and 13, but the 11s only has RT and the Windows 8 version doesn't come out til June so I'm told. I LOVE the Helix but god damn at that price (and it's not out yet; Feb I think?). Dell XP12 is nice but I'm not sure how I feel about the moving parts with the screen flip and it's pricey as well.

The transformer is nice as well but pricey and I'd prefer a convertible that keeps the keyboard/tablet attached while using it like a tablet. I know it's heavier, but I don't like separating the two for several reasons (won't get in to here).

Suggestions? Other options I'm not considering? Is Helix up there as one of the better convertibles?

Surface Pro

Full Windows 8, 10.6" 1080p screen, pen input, and both the touch and type covers are great. I have the touch cover for my Surface, and it's great, but I recently tried the type cover and it really does feel like a great, normal keyboard and barely thicker than the touch cover. It should be releasing soon, and it's reasonably priced IMO ($899 for the tablet, and $120 for either touch or type cover, so about $1,020 total).

Homeboyd

Surface Pro

Full Windows 8, 10.6" 1080p screen, pen input, and both the touch and type covers are great. I have the touch cover for my Surface, and it's great, but I recently tried the type cover and it really does feel like a great, normal keyboard and barely thicker than the touch cover. It should be releasing soon, and it's reasonably priced IMO ($899 for the tablet, and $120 for either touch or type cover, so about $1,020 total).
I do like the Surface, but I absolutely hated the Touch Cover when I tried it. For work purposes, I don't think I could handle it. Haven't tried the Type Cover though... isn't that closer to the typical keyboards (i.e. has keys)? Could be better that way.

I also like the other convertibles for the fact you could set multiple angles vs surface only having one option. Pen input is nice too though.

I do like the Surface, but I absolutely hated the Touch Cover when I tried it. For work purposes, I don't think I could handle it. Haven't tried the Type Cover though... isn't that closer to the typical keyboards (i.e. has keys)? Could be better that way.

I also like the other convertibles for the fact you could set multiple angles vs surface only having one option. Pen input is nice too though.

type cover feels great

Samsung has all kinds of Windows 8 machines. Slates, transformer-style, with an Atom, with a Core i5, with pen, without pen. And none of them come with Windows RT, because Samsung ditched that OS.

Yup, when typing it feels similar to a mobile Bluetooth keyboard. I'm really considering getting one since typing feels fantastic on it, and it's not that much thicker than the touch cover. I just wish it would come in colors instead of only black.

Spasm

Surface Pro

I check this page just about every day for a preorder/purchase link.

Homeboyd

Yup, when typing it feels similar to a mobile Bluetooth keyboard. I'm really considering getting one since typing feels fantastic on it, and it's not that much thicker than the touch cover. I just wish it would come in colors instead of only black.
You guys like the Spro over the Lenovo line?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Pen to text in windows works pretty damn well. Only had a minor error when writing this message.

Anony

i hope the surface pro is launching in the next 2 weeks because my friend is going to be in seattle during this time

i hate canada:
samsung ativ (atom) has not pen/digitizer + costs 50 more
thinkpad2 is 1180$ and does not even come with a pen (60+ more) where in us it cost 650$

the fuck man, our dollar is stronger than us

You guys like the Spro over the Lenovo line?

I haven't played with the Lenovo's in person, so can't say for sure.

I have a Surface RT and I love it. Having essentially the same thing, with a Wacom-esque pen, higher res screen and full Windows 8 just makes it that much better.

Personally, I would go for the Surface Pro over the Lenovo Yoga. It has amazing build quality, thinner, lighter, higher res screen, and a pen. You can also do most of the positions of the Yoga on the Surface (laptop, tablet and stand mode, not tent mode though which isn't a big deal). The one benefit the Yoga would have is that it would likely sit more stable on your lap since it's an actual laptop. I use my Surface on my lap a lot though, and I think it's fine though.

thundr51

Anybody that's picked up a Win8 tablet tried out any games yet? I tried MTG 2012 and Endless space and surprisingly I could get them work. I had to do short swipes as clicks, but otherwise worked ok. I've heard Civ5 and Plants vs Zombies (steam) work great, but haven't got around to trying them yet.

Wiktor

Lenovo is your best bet, either with Yoga 13 or Thinkpad x230t. If you're going to be using the devce a lot as a laptop Surface Pro is a terrible idea, because as far as comfort of work, it is essentially like netbook..ie petite screen and cramped shallow keyboard.

I might be looking for a tablet I can use at work as well as play, and i know i would be getting the type cover if i got it, but i guess my main concern is this: Can i really get rid of my laptop if i buy this? the screen should be big enough, but what about being able to hook it up to my HDD? What about having that solid weight and the adjustable viewing angles? what about the sheer lack of storage capacity in comparison?

I feel like it is inevitable that my laptop will become obsolete, but is this really the device to do it?

MCD

USB HDDs are a must nowadays.

As for watching, you can always hook it up to an HDTV or a PC monitor for maximum comfort.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Any chance the Surface Pro will ever come with built-in LTE ala the iPad?

I love the idea of the SPro - honestly, I think it's going to be pretty great. But without built-in cellular data, it's useless to me considering how much travel I do :(

Homeboyd

Lenovo is your best bet, either with Yoga 13 or Thinkpad x230t. If you're going to be using the devce a lot as a laptop Surface Pro is a terrible idea, because as far as comfort of work, it is essentially like netbook..ie petite screen and cramped shallow keyboard.
Yeah this is what I was thinking too :/ Screen quality a significant difference in the Yoga 13 vs Spro? Love the Helix but yeah, too expensive for an 11" screen.

Wiktor

Yeah this is what I was thinking too :/ Screen quality a significant difference in the Yoga 13 vs Spro? Love the Helix but yeah, too expensive for an 11" screen.

There shouldn't be a huge difference. Yoga is slightly lower res (1600x vs 1920x on Surface), but it will still give you plenty of work space and 1920x will pretty much unusable on touchscreen in desktop mode with fingers on 10 inch device like Surface anyway, so you would have to scale everything up anyway.

Homeboyd

There shouldn't be a huge difference. Yoga is slightly lower res (1600x vs 1920x on Surface), but it will still give you plenty of work space and 1920x will pretty much unusable on touchscreen in desktop mode with fingers on 10 inch device like Surface anyway, so you would have to scale everything up anyway.
Are there any other 13" convertibles worth looking at? The asus transformer looks nice but I'm betting it will be pricey and there's no release date yet. (Thanks for your help btw)

Heading to Costco this morning to purchase a Windows 8 All-In-One or tower & display. What's the word on the Dell or HP models currently out? Anything I should be cautious of?

Windu

Heading to Costco this morning to purchase a Windows 8 All-In-One or tower & display. What's the word on the Dell or HP models currently out? Anything I should be cautious of?
Unless Costco is different I doubt you will find anything good at retail. Most retail stores sell shitty PCs, its better to look online.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate

The Vizio all in one is a nice machine with a great track pad. I'm shocked that MS hasn't made their own track pad and pushed that as a solution for desktop users. Much better than a mouse.

maeh2k

I've heard a lot of good things about Dell's 27" all-in-one. In a the verge comparison between a handful of all-in-ones it got the best score.
But I've heard some negative comments about the 23" model; specifically about the color reproduction of the screen (too little saturation or something).

I've heard a lot of good things about Dell's 27" all-in-one. In a the verge comparison between a handful of all-in-ones it got the best score.
But I've heard some negative comments about the 23" model; specifically about the color reproduction of the screen (too little saturation or something).

I did, indeed, end up with Dell's 27" AIO. Excellent piece of hardware, and after a couple of hours, I'm coming around to the software. The display is gorgeous.

Homeboyd

When's the Spro come out? Do we have a definite date yet? Thinking of going with it after long debate and research. That helix is what I really want but I'd prefer not being bent over for $1500. Good God.

If there's another 1080p screen, convertible tablet with pen input and decent performance/battery life, I'm all ears.

Just got back from CES. Broke and tired, but was fun. Here a quick overview of what I have learned using Windows 8 slates shown at the show:

1. Atom slates were out in force at the Intel booth, and was the most compelling of all the form factors shown; iPad form factor with iPad battery life capable of running X86 apps. It made everyone who doesn't follow this sector go OOH~ AH~. Convertible had many interest as well, but mostly from those who are in the know. The Lenovo Helix was popular just because they only had ONE unit at the show (stlll prototype that didn't have all the parts working properly, such as the Waocm pen) and was a rare beast, but clearly public is more interested in getting something close to iPad form factor.

2. Of all the Wacom enabled Atom slates, I was most disappointed with the Dell Latitude 10 and most impressed with the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 2.

Dell was my most anticipated of the Atom Wacom slates because of the removable battery. What I didn't know before I tried it is that Dell F'd up the firmware for the Wacom digitizer. Both of the units at the show had same problem of initial pressure detection of the pen being much much higher than the normal 3 grams. It felt like it require at least twice the pressure level of the other Wacom slates to detect pressure, if not three times. At first, I thought the pen was somehow turned off. That's how hard you have to press on the tip to get the pen to click on a button, or make ink markings. This is absolutely unacceptable and Dell must fixed this ASAP.

Lenovo's Thinkpad Tablet 2 on the other hand totally won me over. It's design and build quality is absolutely gorgeous. The rubberized material felt great in my hand and my god it's a lovely looking slate. I think I might have to bite the bullet and replace my Samsung Note 10.1 with this.

Other Atom Wacom slate felt good as well. The Asus and the Sammy had no problem like the Dell. But the size and the design of the Lenovo is just a step above the others.

3. Panasonic won my bipolar product designs award of having one of the worst and the best Windows 8 slates at the show: The 4K 20" slate was a DISASTER, while the 10.6" Toughbook Core i5 slate was quite compelling for those who have the need and the dough.

The 4K tablet is basically a 20" Windows 8 slate with LV Core i5 and 4GB of RAM like all other high end W8 slates. It even has a battery. But mating those parts with a giant (for portable) 20" 4K display with a beyond crappy optical pen digitizer make for a horribly useless professional device. The tablet i tried BTW was over heating like crazy. Photoshop CS5 was choking under the stress. And that pen. HOO boy.... It is a POS. It's optical, and hardly has enough X/Y accuracy for a 20" 1080p screen, let alone a 2160p one. And it's has a pathetic 75Hz refresh to boot. Also, NO PRESSURE SENSITIVITY. What's the f'n point? I don't know either. It was clearly designed by bunch of marketers and will crash and burn HARD.

The Toughbook slate on the other hand, was VERY nice. It's running your typical 1.7GHz Ivy Bridge LV Core i5, but can be upgraded to 8GB of RAM (only other slate around 2 lbs other than the nowhere to be seen Kupa Ultranote with that distinction), SWAPPABLE BATTERY, water resistant rubber seals for all ports, and Wacom pen support with pen slot. Other than the bezel step around the LCD (necessary for ruggadizing) and the high price ($2800 start), this is one the best Core processor W8 slate solutions I've ever seen.

I took pics and videos so expect a separate post on the Panasonic slate later.

When's the Spro come out? Do we have a definite date yet? Thinking of going with it after long debate and research. That helix is what I really want but I'd prefer not being bent over for $1500. Good God.

If there's another 1080p screen, convertible tablet with pen input and decent performance/battery life, I'm all ears.

No official date. Last we heard officially was Jan 2013 (so within the next 2 weeks or so).

Amzin

2. Of all the Wacom enabled Atom slates, I was most disappointed with the Dell Latitude 10 and most impressed with the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet 2.

Lenovo's Thinkpad Tablet 2 on the other hand totally won me over. It's design and build quality is absolutely gorgeous. The rubberized material felt great in my hand and my god it's a lovely looking slate. I think I might have to bite the bullet and replace my Samsung Note 10.1 with this.
Some good info there.

Is that the Lenovo Tablet 2 in the OP? I don't have any current need of Wacom, but I think I may in the future, and that price point is just about on the high end of what I'd want to spend. Any info on how the keyboard is on that thing?

I'm mainly hunting for a full Windows 8 tablet and a closer to tablet price, but still nice and usable for some full Windows programs. Sounds like that one may fit the bill.

Some good info there.

Is that the Lenovo Tablet 2 in the OP? I don't have any current need of Wacom, but I think I may in the future, and that price point is just about on the high end of what I'd want to spend. Any info on how the keyboard is on that thing?

I'm mainly hunting for a full Windows 8 tablet and a closer to tablet price, but still nice and usable for some full Windows programs. Sounds like that one may fit the bill.

It's the one in the OP. Didn't try the keyboard though. The $650 IIRC is without keyboard.

As long as you are realistic with your expectation with Atom CPU w 2GB of RAM, I think you will be happy. It's an iPad/Android tablet alternative that happens to run light X86 programs very well. A Thinkpad tablet 2 + 64GB uSDXC card = awesome tablet experience.

Amzin

It's the one in the OP. Didn't try the keyboard though. The $650 IIRC is without keyboard.

As long as you are realistic with your expectation with Atom CPU w 2GB of RAM, I think you will be happy. It's an iPad/Android tablet alternative that happens to run light X86 programs very well. A Thinkpad tablet 2 + 64GB uSDXC card = awesome tablet experience.

Yea, I don't want it to replace my gaming laptop (which I need to upgrade this year or next anyway), but being able to play Baldur's Gate and run Notepad++ while being a nicely functioning tablet would be pretty much ideal.

Windu

I am installing age of empires 2 right now, wonder if it works with a stylus. Project64 runs fine on it btw.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
project overwolf tablet edition needs to come out ..like now.

hell I wish Gabe would integrate the same feature into steam's overlay.
just for light and classic games it would be a godsend.

Most indie light games work fine on the tablets but require keyboard and touchpad due to lack of touch controls and something like Overwolf build into the steam interface would just kick so much ass.

terrible commercial if you haven't heard about it
http://youtu.be/3c81ABIEdAo

I don't know what you would technically call this, but I need something a pad of sorts that I can plug into my laptop via USB and write/draw on said pad and that writing will show up on my laptop. I know it exists, I just don't know what they're called.

Talon

I don't know what you would technically call this, but I need something a pad of sorts that I can plug into my laptop via USB and write/draw on said pad and that writing will show up on my laptop. I know it exists, I just don't know what they're called.
Wacom tablet.

I always thought the Thinkpad Tablet 2 had an N-Trig digitizer.

You probably thought that because original Thinkpad Tablet (Android) had N-trig.

If your laptop has USB 3.0, and you have $350 budget, wait for the Lenovo LT1423p and go for some portable Cintiq action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1udk4Yirwk

Top Bottom