• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

Wiktor

Helix looks awesome, but I'm worried how thin the base looks on the pictures. I hope that's just good PR departament and in reality it's thick enough to provide proper key travel, unlike most ultrabooks

Tacitus_

Do all the Thinkpad Tablet 2 configs have the digitizer screen? Only the priciest one comes with the pen but the copy-pasted PR mentions the digitizer on every model page. But since it's copy-pasted I don't really trust it.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
jcVhI.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/asus-vivo-smart-tablet-ces-2013/#continued
The ASUS line of Vivo devices is growing today with another Windows 8 tablet, the ASUS VivoTab Smart tablet. The Smart packs an Intel Atom Z2760 dual-core processor, powering the same 10.1-inch, 1366 x 768 resolution IPS display found in its brethren. And that 10.1-inch screen can handle five of your fingers tapping all over it all at once, should you need to. Protecting that screen is a brand new "TransSleeve" keyboard, which does triple duty as a cover, keyboard and stand, "all rolled into one." It's quite like the Microsoft Surface Type Cover, albeit with full-on physical keys and a touchpad for mousing around. An 8-megapixel camera sits out back while a 2-megapixel faces the user, and there's NFC functionality built in as well. ASUS isn't giving out a price or release window for the VivoTab Smart just yet, but we'll be sure to keep an eye out for the newest Vivo entry on the show floor as CES 2013 kicks off this week.

JaggedSac

Is that the keyboad that can be folded and used as a stand? Doesn't look like it from the render, but if not, what is providing the stand back there?

thundr51

Do all the Thinkpad Tablet 2 configs have the digitizer screen? Only the priciest one comes with the pen but the copy-pasted PR mentions the digitizer on every model page. But since it's copy-pasted I don't really trust it.

Do you need a digitizer to, say, use the handwriting mode on onenote? I tried it with my old acer w500 and it "worked" but the processor was a bit slow so there was some lag. My guess is if you have a good enough processor it wouldn't be a problem (i3/i5) but not sure.

JaggedSac

Posted this last year

Intel announces new low-power Core processor, expected to land in Surface Pro
http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3846836/intel-ivy-bridge-7w-low-power-cpu-announcement

so its possible Surface Pro could be more than 5hrs

I doubt it, why would MS engineers say half the life of the RT when it wouldn't be?

On an unrelated note, I see now how that cover works on that Vivo:

This cover is weird but interesting. The Bluetooth keyboard connects magnetically to the cover when wanting to store it, and the cover folds into various configurations for different angles of a stand. Not sure how I would like it, but certainly interesting.

Does anyone have the Lenovo Twist? I was playing around with it for a few minutes at the Microsoft Store in Toronto and I think I might want to get it. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions about it?

Reason I'm thinking of it is because its being sold for $700

dLMN8R

No inside info here but I don't think you guys (let alone the tech press) realize how much work is involved in integrating a new processor into a system like that. Thurrott was being stupid snarky on Twitter, saying it would be "SO MICROSOFT" to use the older core CPU instead of this one announced today, but fucking really? How the hell are they supposed to integrate a processor for a PC releasing in January when the processor itself isn't even going to be available at large for months?

Any PC from any manufacturer - whether Dell, Acer, ASUS, Apple, Lenovo, or even Microsoft - needs to have every piece of hardware in that device be finalized roughly 3-6 months ahead of time for there to be any chance of it being ready for launch.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
No inside info here but I don't think you guys (let alone the tech press) realize how much work is involved in integrating a new processor into a system like that. Thurrott was being stupid snarky on Twitter, saying it would be "SO MICROSOFT" to use the older core CPU instead of this one announced today, but fucking really? How the hell are they supposed to integrate a processor for a PC releasing in January when the processor itself isn't even going to be available at large for months?

Any PC from any manufacturer - whether Dell, Acer, ASUS, Apple, Lenovo, or even Microsoft - needs to have every piece of hardware in that device be finalized roughly 3-6 months ahead of time for there to be any chance of it being ready for launch.

So...you're saying there's a chance!

dLMN8R

Maybe the processors were further ahead than Intel wanted to say, but it seems like if this CPU was in Surface Pro, Microsoft would've gloated about it by now.

Totakeke

Steve Jobs would be able to do it!

dLMN8R

Steve Jobs would be able to do it!

Steve Jobs would have been able to convince the world that they did it in the last 6 days while in truth Apple had been working in it for the last 6 months.

One of his greatest accomplishments that no one in the press mentions - because it reflects badly in the press - is that he radically overhauled expectations of the tech press of what tech companies can accomplish. Apple does have industry leading supply chain management, but they are not above the simple facts of life in engineering and design. Their laptops and phones take the same many years of R&D as any other company, they just talk about them much more intelligently.

Look at how the tech press complained about the huge amount of time between Windows 8 PC announcements and releases. MONTHS between announcement and release. It was indeed a long time, but Apple is no different. They announced the new iMacs in October, but they barely started shipping before December. And even then, it was in small quantities, most orders were delayed until at least December if not 2013.

How did they accomplish it? By letting people preorder right away, and obfuscating that fact by also announcing other products that were closer to release. People quickly forgot that it was months between the announcement and release of the new iMacs.

Look at how Apple set expectations in the press about what laptop battery life should be like. Then compare to Windows 8 laptop reviews. The Acer Aspire S7 gets 4-4.5 hours of battery life, and according to reviews, that's fucking terrible. Just unacceptable. But...what's this?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/8

The 2012 11" Macbook Air doesn't even get 4 hours of battery life with a "medium workload". The 13" gets 5.5 hours of battery life.

The Verge gave the 13" an 8/10 for battery: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3096254/macbook-air-review-13-inch-mid-2012

But if you look at the Lenovo Yoga, which gets the same battery life, it gets a 7/10 for battery: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/9/3615468/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-13-review. Even though it has a touch screen, a much higher-resolution screen, etc. Why does it get a worse score for battery life? God only knows. Apple set expectations in the press that in 2012, laptop battery = 5-6 hours at the absolute minimum, the press gobbles it up even though Apple's own 11" laptop doesn't come close to that, but other laptops are judged against that unrealistic measurement.

Vyer

Does anyone have the Lenovo Twist? I was playing around with it for a few minutes at the Microsoft Store in Toronto and I think I might want to get it. I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions about it?

Reason I'm thinking of it is because its being sold for $700

I do.

Touchscreen is nice and responsive, the 'twist' feature seems to work well, hardware wise. Hinge feels very sturdy and secure. Finish on the laptop looks nice but is a horrible fingerprint/oil magnet, as is the touchscreen. Resolution could be better.

Lighter than you might expect, very thin when closed.

Had some issues with the auto rotate/orientation of the screen. A couple of times it seemed to lag pretty badly. Had it kind of lock up once or twice. There's a little bit of bloatware Lenovo loaded up on it but nothing major. Once I got it a little cleaned up and updated (there's also an update from Lenovo for the rotation) it seemed to be a little bit more reliable. But I'm not entirely sure the rotation lock hardware button on it works as advertised.

IN addition, I should mention that a day in the hardware scan that comes as part of the Lenovo software picked up an error with the SSD. Sucks, and I called Lenovo and they are shipping me a box for return/repair. I got it free for work, so my boss is considering just exchanging where he bought it. Except....I restored in anticipation of shipping it off and now for some reason the scan shows the SSD as okay.

So I dunno WTF. Obviously if it's showing no issue now it can't be exchanged, so I might just go ahead with the Lenovo support route. Got it out now and am going to try another scan to see what happens.

Look at how Apple set expectations in the press about what laptop battery life should be like. Then compare to Windows 8 laptop reviews. The Acer Aspire S7 gets 4-4.5 hours of battery life, and according to reviews, that's fucking terrible. Just unacceptable. But...what's this?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6063/macbook-air-13inch-mid-2012-review/8

The 2012 11" Macbook Air doesn't even get 4 hours of battery life with a "medium workload".

Eh, I would probably compare the 13" with the 13" to be fair. And anand has their own review of the S7 and they don't really consider it 'terrible' from what I can tell. It does seem like it's stated battery estimate comes at a pretty low brightness and it takes a big hit when raised up. It looks like they also have some comparisons with other Windows units.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6535/acer-aspire-s7-ultrabook-acers-best-foot-forward/5

The 13" gets 5.5 hours of battery life.

The Verge gave the 13" an 8/10 for battery: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/3096254/macbook-air-review-13-inch-mid-2012

But if you look at the Lenovo Yoga, which gets the same battery life, it gets a 7/10 for battery: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/9/3615468/lenovo-ideapad-yoga-13-review. Even though it has a touch screen, a much higher-resolution screen, etc. Why does it get a worse score for battery life? God only knows. Apple set expectations in the press that in 2012, laptop battery = 5-6 hours at the absolute minimum, the press gobbles it up even though Apple's own 11" laptop doesn't come close to that, but other laptops are judged against that unrealistic measurement.

Going Verge review to Verge review, and staying in the 13" range, it looks like a 20-30 minute difference in the MBA's favor under the same test. And the score is a 1 point difference. Nothing really egregious there IMO.

Wiktor

I think the far more ridiculous thing about those reviews is that they rated mediocre-at best 13 inch Air keyboard the same as X1 Carbon and higher than Yoga. Whoever wrote those scores is seriously delusional.

I think the far more ridiculous thing about those reviews is that they rated mediocre-at best 13 inch Air keyboard the same as X1 Carbon and higher than Yoga. Whoever wrote those scores is seriously delusional.

I never got the hard-on people have for the MacBook keyboards. I always found them inferior compared to the ThinkPad keyboards. It's like they prefer chicklet design and illuminated keys over actual ergonomics.

Wiktor

I never got the hard-on people have for the MacBook keyboards. I always found them inferior compared to the ThinkPad keyboards. It's like they prefer chicklet design and illuminated keys over actual ergonomics.

Yep. Small key travel, flat keys etc. They don't compare to even higher-end Ideapad KBs, let alone Thinkpad ones (oldschool or the new chicklet ones). What's worse, the shallow Air-like keys are now appearing also in Retina Macbooks (the older Pro KBs were noticably better) just to make the units thinner.

Tacitus_

Oh balls. The only model that comes with the pen here is 30% pricier than the basic model. I really don't need 3G and Win Pro on a tablet.

Do you need a digitizer to, say, use the handwriting mode on onenote? I tried it with my old acer w500 and it "worked" but the processor was a bit slow so there was some lag. My guess is if you have a good enough processor it wouldn't be a problem (i3/i5) but not sure.

Yeah, I am thinking about getting a W510 with a basic stylus. I really need to draw only diagrams and formulae.

I think this is what I'm waiting for.

9gVMI.jpg

The switch to an out-of-order design should improve the performance significantly and should be more than enough for my mobile hybrid needs.

Tomcat

the verge scores are always inconsistent. but generally if its an apple review put +1 above anything else ;p

Anything that involves editorial or opinion (like a review or podcast) is worthless on the Verge. The Verge is only good for stealing news from other sites and product photos/previews. Their podcast is horrendous, just a group of the most uninformed yucksters I've ever heard exposing how shallow their depth of knowledge is. Hell one of the clowns has even been off the Internet for a year and they think he is a good choice to have discuss the news of the week. Not that it matters because the rest are equally as clueless as him about anything not involving Google or Apple.

tino

Banned
Anything that involves editorial or opinion (like a review or podcast) is worthless on the Verge. The Verge is only good for stealing news from other sites and product photos/previews. Their podcast is horrendous, just a group of the most uninformed yucksters I've ever heard exposing how shallow their depth of knowledge is. Hell one of the clowns has even been off the Internet for a year and they think he is a good choice to have discuss the news of the week. Not that it matters because the rest are equally as clueless as him about anything not involving Google or Apple.

Where is Verge stealing news from, Verge has larger news staff than most sites. Don't be an idiot.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think this is what I'm waiting for.

9gVMI.jpg

The switch to an out-of-order design should improve the performance significantly and should be more than enough for my mobile hybrid needs.

ya it looks good..but since its gonna be fall 2013 at the earliest, its along wait..wonder what gpu the Baytrail is gonna have.

ya it looks good..but since its gonna be fall 2013 at the earliest, its along wait..wonder what gpu the Baytrail is gonna have.

I don't really need a notebook, so I can wait another year. All these hybrids are first gen products anyway, which I can't recommend for obvious reasons. If Lenovo has a Yoga 11 with a Bay Trail Atom next year, I'll be there.

e: After reading the Notebook Check review of the current Yoga 11, I'm really in love with the form factor. In a way it just seems more elegant than a detachable screen. It's a shame that Lenovo didn't make a Clover Trail one.

Tacitus_

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/14/acer-iconia-w700-review/

Supposedly it gets very good battery life. Sorry didn't know you were overseas. Its been available for some time here in US, picking up the i5/64gb version this weekend.

If the 510 is anything like the 500 its still very good at a great price.

The 510 is practically the only hybrid out now and even then, only 1 store really has it. It's absolutely ridiculous. I think the i5 w700 would be about double the price of the w510.

Top Bottom