• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 8 Tablets/Laptops/Laplets Cross Shopping Thread of Most Confusing Launch |OT|

jonremedy

jcVhI.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/asus-vivo-smart-tablet-ces-2013/#continued

This is cheaper than the W510 in my neck of the woods... 4000 NOK vs 4500 for W510

And it comes with 64GB storage...

tino

Banned
Didn't realize Asus announced a new Atom W8 tablet. Its basically a (64GB) w510 with a rip of Surface keyboard and a rip off iPad cover. So you are carrying 3 pieces!

Tablet chart updated:

maeh2k

Didn't realize Asus announced a new Atom W8 tablet. Its basically a (64GB) w510 with a rip of Surface keyboard and a rip off iPad cover. So you are carrying 3 pieces!

Tablet chart updated:

Is that $500 for the 64 GB version including that keyboard thing?

Vyer

Well, a warning about the Twist. My company is returning the two units we bought.

Both are throwing up errors with the SSD in their hardware scans. Only thing I could dig up was a thread with a few others having the problem on the Lenovo forum. Someone there mentions changing the scan to do one drive at a time and it doesn't find any errors but...

May very well be some sort of issue with Lenovo's diagnostic software. But considering these things are less than 10 days old, my boss didn't feel like it was something he wanted to bother with.

Onward to finding another windows 8 touchscreen ultrabook I suppose...

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
sooo my tablet was delayed 30 days. time to cancel. Looks like a can buy from a third party and get it in a few days anyway. never buying anything directly from Lenovo again.

maeh2k

tino

Banned
Dell announce the ghetto version of the Latitude 10 call "Latitute 10 Essential". Such a bad name.

It has no swappable battery, no 3G, no LED flash and no pen support for 100 cheaper?

The market is being flooded and about to be flooded with a bunch of cool new stuff.

It is just getting confusing now. Haha.

With that said, I really do want to own a hybrid with an Intel Haswell chip in it. Be it Windows/Apple/Android.

I want that so much. Why don't these companies focus on getting their tech into consumer products :/

any word on the Kupa at CES?

That thing wins my "Worst product idea of CES" 2013 award:

A 4K 20" monitor trapped in with LV Core i5 (1.7GHz) and 4GB of RAM that crying for help. The pen is a shitty optical type that has never been good, with no pressure sensitivity and not enough accuracy for 4K 20" display. The unit was literally overheating and crawling when I played with it (great idea to trap a huge battery in that thin thin chassis with Coe i5 and marge display, lol). Even when not overheating, a LV CPU and mere 4GB of RAM is a poor match for a 4K screen for any serious work. Photoshop was dying in it.

It was the biggest fucking LOL of the show for me.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
work got in a couple thinkpad 2's
I got an Hp envy x2

My intial impression while doing windows updates etc, the build quality,fit and finish and feel blows the samsung ativ smartPC 500 out of the water.

My understanding tho is the battery in just the tablet is poor.but since it uses the battery in the keyboard when docked I might be fine with that.

I'm gonna do the video test and compare playback times to what I did over the holiday break with the samsung.

I know the HP pen is optional but does anyone know what tech was used for the digitizer on the Envy X2?

tino

Banned
The Thinkpad Helix seems really amazing. If it weren't for the price I'd possibly get that one. Size, battery life (with 6+4 hours I really wouldn't need haswell), good keyboard. I don't even want to know how much the i7 version with 8 GB RAM costs in Europe. Certainly too much for me.

Here's a preview from mobiletechreview: http://www.mobiletechreview.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=44045

I like it very much as well. It seems to me only Lenovo is remotely ambitious in this stupid tablet game.

Windu

just got it in. The build quailiy is superb. The back is made up of some soft rubber material. Feels nice.

Nice and small too, as you can see its not much bigger than a ps3 controller. And just as thin as my iphone 4.

Edit 38gb free on first startup. I think once I restart there will be more room, I think I remember reading that the language packs get deleted or something.

I also bought a 64gb sd card too.

thundr51

Got my W700 and have to admit it's very nice. Aside from the minor annoyance that it doesn't have a sdcard slot, it works great. Honestly, I feel that this is probably the best value for a tablet right now. i5 + 1080P+ 64GB + dock + bluetooth keyboard + leather case all for less than 900 (at least from amazon). I'm going to load up steam and try downloading some smaller games and see how that works. So far I've only tried magic the gathering (almost works with touch, you have to double tap everything.) Will probably try Civ5 and Endless space in a bit.

Edit: Deal just got better, Get an $100 amazon gift card with intel chip based purchase.

work got in a couple thinkpad 2's
I got an Hp envy x2

My intial impression while doing windows updates etc, the build quality,fit and finish and feel blows the samsung ativ smartPC 500 out of the water.

My understanding tho is the battery in just the tablet is poor.but since it uses the battery in the keyboard when docked I might be fine with that.

I'm gonna do the video test and compare playback times to what I did over the holiday break with the samsung.

I know the HP pen is optional but does anyone know what tech was used for the digitizer on the Envy X2?

I think it's Atmel. Hey, at least it's not N-trig.

maeh2k

It's getting hard to listen to Windows Weekly with them shitting on basically everything Microsoft does. This week they are bitching about MS' 60 million sales number and then about pen support, because apparently that's completely useless unless you are an artist...

PSGames

Got my W700 and have to admit it's very nice. Aside from the minor annoyance that it doesn't have a sdcard slot, it works great. Honestly, I feel that this is probably the best value for a tablet right now. i5 + 1080P+ 64GB + dock + bluetooth keyboard + leather case all for less than 900 (at least from amazon). I'm going to load up steam and try downloading some smaller games and see how that works. So far I've only tried magic the gathering (almost works with touch, you have to double tap everything.) Will probably try Civ5 and Endless space in a bit.

Edit: Deal just got better, Get an $100 amazon gift card with intel chip based purchase.

Interesting. I have until the 30th to return the w510. For only $100 more this seems like a no brainer.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
heres registry key you can use for tablets to get 4 rows and enable more in portrait

just remove the space between Current Version

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\Scaling]

"MonitorSize"="12.1"

looks like this after
2013-01-12+001.JPG

also when your holding it in portrait mode you can swipe in charms and go to the setting, then tiles and there will be a slider that says show more tiles

2013-01-12+003.JPG

Windu

It's getting hard to listen to Windows Weekly with them shitting on basically everything Microsoft does. This week they are bitching about MS' 60 million sales number and then about pen support, because apparently that's completely useless unless you are an artist...
Pen support it great for navigating the desktop. Although i have found by increasing the desktop to 125% i can get around easily with my finger as well.

Wiktor

It was rumoured was it not? Much prefer that to the Twist (and pref without the fugly silver on the side the Twist has).

Yeah, there were some rumors. I really like Yoga formfactor, I just need it with Thinkpad keyboard quality, trackpoint and pen. and all black of course :)
Helix looks awesome, but it's only 11 inches and overall I think Yoga-style just seems more solid.

mhayze

I have a pretty negative impression of N-trig as well. However, I did just read some impressions from someone on the TabletPC forums saying that he was pleasantly suprised by the n-trig pen in the Duo 11 (I think he called it 'wacom-like'). But I still hold my suspicions.

Yeah, there were some rumors. I really like Yoga formfactor, I just need it with Thinkpad keyboard quality, trackpoint and pen. and all black of course :)
Helix looks awesome, but it's only 11 inches and overall I think Yoga-style just seems more solid.
I'm fairly certain that the Helix will be my first W8 tablet, not least because of the 8GB RAM and Wacom pen. Regarding form factor, I need something that is carry-it-around small and light, and having used the X220t before, I look forward to something smaller and lighter. We all have our own uses for these devices, and I'm looking forward to using OneNote and PhotoShop + graphics apps with the pen, in a really small form factor.

Top Bottom