• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

frontieruk

Brace for impact people!

I don't believe they will drop a WIP OS, but Nadella wasn't the biggest fan of the Nokia acquisition. Some big changes are coming to the Lumia division, that I'm sure of.

renamed surface and given to the surface design team please... and I have it on good authority that Nadella was a huge fan of Zune so hopefully Zune will come back :D

renamed surface and given to the surface design team please... and I have it on good authority that Nadella was a huge fan of Zune so hopefully Zune will come back :D

Maybe they'll rebrand their flagship, but I can't see them dropping the Lumia brand. But I'll take anything to fix the mess of their mobile portfolio.

As for Zune, I don't see it happening, considering those whispers to move away from Xbox to Microsoft, as it is their strongest brand. But it is still possible, as the name lacks the baggage of its current incarnation.

Lumia brand has been dead. New phones were suppose to have the LUMIA name but have been replaced with the Microsoft name. The email from Satya makes no mention of Lumia.

hadareud

The Translator

hadareud

The Translator
I'm questioning whether there is actually any use of posting my impressions of the new build here anymore or whether people just don't give a fuck at this stage.

I'm fine either way. I can throw my support behind the WP Stockholm syndrome thread too where we just moan about how everything has gone to horrible shit but we're held hostage by the sweet sweet horse that is WP despite having moved to Android months ago.

I'm questioning whether there is actually any use of posting my impressions of the new build here anymore or whether people just don't give a fuck at this stage.

I'm fine either way. I can throw my support behind the WP Stockholm syndrome thread too where we just moan about how everything has gone to horrible shit but we're held hostage by the sweet sweet horse that is WP despite having moved to Android months ago.

I'll be posting my impressions once it's done installing. If you want to, why not?

hadareud

The Translator
Oh of course. I just enjoy being a bit of a drama queen.

I'll be posting my impressions no matter what, I wouldn't let an opportunity to bore people to tears slip under any circumstance.

Yes, please post them. I'll install it in my 830 eventually.

Despite my gloom and doom, I'll go down with the ship before switching to android or iPhone.

First impression for me is it's much smoother than pretty much every other build so far. Lumia 920. Still playing around with settings and such. No apps installed. Upgraded build from the last, not a factory reset. I'll do a factory reset a bit later to see if it makes any difference at all.

edit: also, in the extras+info section, it says I'm still running Lumia Cyan rather than Black. Does that make any difference, or have I technically received those updates since I'm on a Windows 10 build now?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Please do post the impression guys.

Alright, I've got the newest build up and running on the tester 635. It's coming together, big performance step up from previous build. I use a 1520 as my daily driver, so it's hard to compare performance, but other than the app crashes and random hiccups, I assume this is probably what the 635 performance is like on 8.1.

Still got some design issues, but improvements have been made and desktop improved what was pretty rough design with a lot of small changes pretty quickly. Lots of new animations and most of them I like, but the circle pictures now roll in the people app and live tile. It looks pretty silly, but I guess they are pretty much decided on the circles.

Oh, and it's on the desktop now as well, but what the hell at this new Music logo?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
The new Surface 3 also has no "Surface" branding that all previous Surfaces did.

Basically, Lumia and Surface brands are dead.
Surface ain't dead. Everything marketing wise says surface. Theyve been selling quite well. MS would be stupid to kill the surface line.

Also post windows 10 phone impressions. Despite the general malaise, I quite enjoy my windows phone. But I'm low maintenance.

maeh2k

Surface ain't dead. Everything marketing wise says surface. Theyve been selling quite well. MS would be stupid to kill the surface line.

Maybe they should really build a Surface laptop next. Now that Windows 10 is seemingly getting worse for tablets than 8.1, it might make sense.

Eww circles?

yeah, I'm pretty sure we're stuck with ugly circles. I just installed the latest internal build on my 930, and I'm liking it quite a bit. Obviously very buggy and some real ugly placeholder designs in places, but it's coming together now. The settings menu, oh lordy, is finally usable.

It's great that the phone build is coming along nicely. Still about worried about the desktop build, though.

The same group made phone and Zune iirc. I'm still not even positive that was the reason the decision was made, but for some reason I remember seeing it at the top of the uservoice list forever and the decision being bandied around as such in the public sphere.

I still don't really agree regarding music management now. It's perfectly fine for me, and I have 50gbs of music on my phone. Drag and drop is simply easier for me to simply erase and replace items on the device. And I don't have to reset my phone like the iPhone because it corrupts a database due to syncing software--which I've had to do three times in less than 6 months. Yes the music app was a cluster at launch, but its far superior to ios now (imo). I haven't really used an android phone for music, so I could t really comment on it.

Overpromising and underdelivering is a problem. It seems like that Xbox music app was a dump truck for a good four months longer than it should have been. And that sync app was and still is a disaster, though I haven't used it since the first couple of months it was out. However, I don't think it was ever meant to be a Zune replacement--only a stopgap.

Again, take all of this with 100 million grains of salt and as the opinion of a duder only tangentially touching those areas.

The only thing I can tell you is that I stopped messing with MP3s, after Zune was dropped. I really loved the library management aspect of it. Get artist info, pictures, album art, quickly edit something if it isn't right and sync all of it over WiFi in a click. Not to mention the music discovery aspect. I loved MixView, Smart DJ was the shit and both worked really, really well. It was a great end-user experience for me. Does Xbox Music even have the Now Playing screen? Or on the lockscreen? Did that ever come back? Does the Live Tile even work?

jWfN8bW.jpg

0gGetHA.png

Zune was simply something I really enjoyed in many ways and taking that away, without properly replacing it, really left me sour.

WinPhone7 Wireless Syncing, Zune soft was awesome, album art work display. Fuck this POS shit app.

Running new build on 920 (I reverted back to 8.1 cause it ran like trash). Runs less like trash now, stuff still doesn't work. Random rebooting, clunky as hell apps don't launch.. I'll probably go back to 8.1, still doesn't feel smooth at all.

hadareud

The Translator
All the apps stopped working so I did a hard reset. That didn't restore any of my apps (but Edge was there), so I'm now recovery tooling the shit out of it.

This is almost like dealing with Android. But with a far smaller chance to do any actual damage to your phone.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, looks like a fairly significant step from the last build.

Makes me a feel a bit more confident that a September release is still on the cards.

kazinova

I think the hard decision is to kill off any Nokia branding and design, hand the phone design to the Surface team and be done with it. I'd line up to buy a Surface Phone, I'll maybe purchase a 1040/940/1540 when my battery starts to die on my 1520.

It's a tough decision but it's for the best.

Edt: I love my 1520, I adore it. But my Surface Pro 3 is THE BEST piece of technology I've ever owned, full stop. I'd love for that to be how I feel about my phone too.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I think the hard decision is to kill off any Nokia branding and design, hand the phone design to the Surface team and be done with it. I'd line up to buy a Surface Phone, I'll maybe purchase a 1040/940/1540 when my battery starts to die on my 1520.

Edt: I love my 1520, I adore it. But my Surface Pro 3 is THE BEST piece of technology I've ever owned, full stop. I'd love for that to be how I feel about my phone too.
As someone that just upgraded from a surface pro 2 to a pro 3. I agree.
Its like the perfect form factor, 3:2, resolution, kickstand, thinnes. The battery is amazing. I was at a local Microsoft meeting yesterday, I got there at 8:45, left at 4:30, my surface was on the entire time and I was using it, I left with 40% left on my battery. I do have the powercover which adds a good chunk of battery as well.

Razdek

Banned
Wow this update is pretty nice and a lot better than the build before. I have apps that won't update properly and won't open but that's expected.

hadareud

The Translator
He's become a petulant little child.

I don't mind moaning, cynicism and ranting at all as long as it's not the entitled musings of a petulant arse. Which in Warren's case it is, and in yours it is not.

<6rot.

edit: hold on, he's on the forum. Can't call him a cunt-hound in that case.

It's far from dead. What I meant is the branding is dead. Yes its still the Surface but the Surface 3 lacked "Surface" branding that the previous models had. "Lumia" branding has also removed in favor of "Microsoft."

As long as Pureview tech carries over I'm fine with that. But that scenario is probably in the works already. I think there are "tougher choices" coming.

He's become a petulant little child.

I don't mind moaning, cynicism and ranting at all as long as it's not the entitled musings of a petulant arse. Which in Warren's case it is, and in yours it is not.

<6rot.

edit: hold on, he's on the forum. Can't call him a cunt-hound in that case.

I usually miss Thurrott and Warren fighting on Twitter, but I imagine that it looks something like this.

D1Oz0A0.jpg

Id3XSrL.gif

It seems the new build is good enough. Does anyone who took the plunge recommend it for a daily driver (820) or should I wait?
It's far from dead. What I meant is the branding is dead. Yes its still the Surface but the Surface 3 lacked "Surface" branding that the previous models had. "Lumia" branding has also removed in favor of "Microsoft."

Considering that the Microsoft brand is stronger, I wouldn't doubt any mentions of the Lumia or the Surface lines directly on the hardware are gone for the next models. But both hardware will keep their names, as I don't believe any of them have the insurmountable baggage as something like Internet Explorer.

Also, just using the Microsoft logo - as the Surface 3 - looks classier than writing the entire name. I hope the next Lumias go that way in branding.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I would maybe consider putting the new build on my daily driver, but I'm going holidays and i can't afford for it to be too wonky.

Top Bottom