• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Seriously. I use a Nexus 5 primarily and I despise the keyboard. Same thing in iOS. It's just a piece of junk - with slide typing it puts words in there that no one would ever use in conversation and it says it collects data to improve it? Terrible. Windows Phone keyboard is best by a very wide margin in my experience.
Miss it everyday on my android and as I type this on my iPad. Best keyboard on touch devices by far.

hadareud

The Translator
Well it has been close to 24 hours - screen keeps coming on all the time without a PIN code needing to be inputted, touches are very unresponsive, email live tile isn't working...

Considering all I do with this phone is call and check emails, thought I would be okay with an early build, but this is pretty painful.

Hmm, looks like there's different bugs for different people. The live tiles (not just mail, but also people, music, calendar) not working is a massive pain in the arse for sure. I haven't had any responsiveness issues after a day or so and the lock screen is working ok (though it sometimes takes a second to fully load).

Out of interest what's your version of Outlook? Is it 17.4217.42252.0?

Lucius86

Banned
Hmm, looks like there's different bugs for different people. The live tiles (not just mail, but also people, music, calendar) not working is a massive pain in the arse for sure. I haven't had any responsiveness issues after a day or so and the lock screen is working ok (though it sometimes takes a second to fully load).

Out of interest what's your version of Outlook? Is it 17.4217.42252.0?

Yep, that's the Outlook version I have.

I'm going to factory wipe this and see if that helps, because the screen constantly turning off/on is horrific.

Edit: Factory reset has made things MUCH better. Still some basic things missing but at least the phone is usable now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh my. The new Skydrive interface for the web version just hit me and it's a goddamned MESS. It feels faster and more responsive, but the needless icons and new font sizes are such a huge turn off. It feels positively ancient and stale in comparison with the older look.

H3pGAmT.jpg
If this signals the way of the new Windows Phone/Metro design, I'm not going to be happy. Yuck.

On the plus side, I give props to MS for implementing image recognition, even if it took my goat cheese and spinach quiche for a pizza. Satya pls.

Yep, that's the Outlook version I have.

I'm going to factory wipe this and see if that helps, because the screen constantly turning off/on is horrific.

Edit: Factory reset has made things MUCH better. Still some basic things missing but at least the phone is usable now.

I had noticed this as well in previous preview builds. It's a bit disturbing to me, as it intimates that some are not adequately testing their alterations for the update-path. While it might be temporary issues since these builds are so unstable--and our employees aren't holding each ring update to the quality of a polished product, it's still quite perturbing and gives me fears about future Slow/Fast ring pushes.

Tomcat

About 2 weeks with the Lumia 640 and I have to admit, it's one awesome phone.

Recommended for anyone looking for something fast, big and future ready.

Just don't make it your primary camera phone. I miss my 1020.

Is it worth going from a 920 to 640?

kharma45

Oh my. The new Skydrive interface for the web version just hit me and it's a goddamned MESS. It feels faster and more responsive, but the needless icons and new font sizes are such a huge turn off. It feels positively ancient and stale in comparison with the older look.

If this signals the way of the new Windows Phone/Metro design, I'm not going to be happy. Yuck.

On the plus side, I give props to MS for implementing image recognition, even if it took my goat cheese and spinach quiche for a pizza. Satya pls.

Image recognition has been there for a while. I noticed it a couple of months back.

Razdek

Banned
Seriously. I use a Nexus 5 primarily and I despise the keyboard. Same thing in iOS. It's just a piece of junk - with slide typing it puts words in there that no one would ever use in conversation and it says it collects data to improve it? Terrible. Windows Phone keyboard is best by a very wide margin in my experience.

I just went back to my Nexus 5 and I have to deal with the shit battery again which sucks. However things are a lot quicker than my 830 and the difference between Snapdragon 800 and 400 is pretty dramatic.

Paganmoon

I've asked before, but I'll ask again. How much worse (if at all) is the WP experience if I switch to a 630 from a 1020.

The only low cost WP option for me to hold me over until flagships.

I've asked before, but I'll ask again. How much worse (if at all) is the WP experience if I switch to a 630 from a 1020.

The only low cost WP option for me to hold me over until flagships.
I find my mothers 640 stuttering quite often. I assume the 630 is worse. It would bother me coming from a 930.

derFeef

My 630 isn't stuttering much, or at all. Can't really tell you about performance because I have no comparison. I have gone 920>630 and the biggest drawback was the screen for me. Performance is not really an issue to me personally.

Paganmoon

José Mourinho;169499899 said:
I find my mothers 640 stuttering quite often. I assume the 630 is worse. It would bother me coming from a 930.

Stuttering how? How often does it resume on reopening apps?

My 630 isn't stuttering much, or at all. Can't really tell you about performance because I have no comparison. I have gone 920>630 and the biggest drawback was the screen for me. Performance is not really an issue to me personally.

1020 is basically the 920. Is it the screen size or responsiveness that is the problem?

Is this platform dead yet, or what?

Shrödinger's OS

you just killed it.

Stuttering how? How often does it resume on reopening apps?
I always notice it when pulling the notification area down. The phone just noticeably chokes. She rarely clears the notifications, mind. So it could be the sheer volume of them. She's coming from an old 820 which never seemed to have the same issue and I can only assume she let the notifications build up the same way on it. General usage isn't too bad at all. I just can't unsee the stuttering in the notification area.

She's more than happy with phone, though she's probably easier please than everybody here.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, the new 640 sure helped to simplify Microsoft's current range.

THIS IS FUCKING EUROPE. NO FUCKING PHONE NEEDS THREE DIFFERENT VARIANTS BASED ON CONNECTIVITY, NOT TO MENTION THE XL VERSION.

What an ungodly clusterfuck. It makes Samsung look positively austere and sensible.

Man, the new 640 sure helped to simplify Microsoft's current range.

THIS IS FUCKING EUROPE. NO FUCKING PHONE NEEDS THREE DIFFERENT VARIANTS BASED ON CONNECTIVITY, NOT TO MENTION THE XL VERSION.

What an ungodly clusterfuck. It makes Samsung look positively austere and sensible.

I had no idea Microsoft offers that many SKUs. After looking at the phones I can buy from the 3 biggest providers in The Netherlands I'd think Microsoft only has 3 phones and only in black.

I don't understand why they have to make a new entry for the LTE or the Dual SIM capabilities. Just add them as variations on the main 640 entry, its current incarnation makes everything hard to navigate.

Broman1978

Anyone know where I can buy replacement glass/screen for Lumia 640? Dropped my phone in the floor and the glass cracked really bad =(

n64coder

Anyone know where I can buy replacement glass/screen for Lumia 640? Dropped my phone in the floor and the glass cracked really bad =(

Did you try ebay? That's where I bought a new 635 screen for my daughter. It was pretty easy to do. I see a couple of sellers selling 640 screen which looks similar to the 635.

You'll need to have miniature torx screw drivers. I think I bought a cheap set at Lowes for around $4.

Paganmoon

Did you try ebay? That's where I bought a new 635 screen for my daughter. It was pretty easy to do. I see a couple of sellers selling 640 screen which looks similar to the 635.

You'll need to have miniature torx screw drivers. I think I bought a cheap set at Lowes for around $4.

Huh, didn't even realize you could find screens there. Would http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Front-O...517?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1a0131e7cd
be the replacement I'm looking for?

Changing the screen in Sweden goes for around 1800SEK (195€ or $220). Might be worth it ordering one of those. hmm.

Edit: This is my phone atm, the screen is shattered, but touch works, so it should just be the "glass cover" that needs replacing right?

Broman1978

Thanks, will look it up =)

NeOak

Has it actually been a year?

Meanwhile fb messenger app still sucks.

http://www.windowscentral.com/voice-calling-coming-soon-whatsapp

Yup

WhatsApp for Windows Phone to get voice calling support soon
By Abhishek Baxi, Wednesday, Apr 9, 2014 at 5:37 am EDT

At the Mobile World Congress earlier this year, WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum announced that the popular instant messaging client would soon be adding voice services to its feature list. Now it looks like the voice calling functionality is coming pretty soon. Those who volunteer with Hindi language translation of WhatsApp received new translation requests this week.

Magni

And WhatsApp is finally a share target! All it really needs now is People integration, let's wait another year for that...

Lazaro

There's a Lumia 540 for $199 exclusive to Aldi in Australia. Is it ae good phone? Is it worth it.

This will probably be my first Windows Phone if I buy it.

Top Bottom