• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 15

That fruit dress looked stupid. And Otome almost didn't get it because she and the others were too busy taxiing an old lady that she just decided to hug around to find a tree.

That appearance instructor was kinda a bitch. "I'd rather watch zombies dance around a fire". Ooooooooh, you told them.

Quasar

Gingitsune 8 -12 END

Well it was an enjoyable show even if it didn't feel like there was much progress at all throughout the whole thing.

I think that's part of why I want a second season. I mean a little happened in the sense of the events around the temple and Satoru/Haru finally settling in. But I really would like to see where it goes now. Do Satoru and Haru go off on their own? Does Hiwako's crush go away?

Sadly the manga is no help either from what I can tell.

survivor

Banned
#teamsensei
#teamsaika
#teamharuno

I thought the anime really made her less mean than she really is. At least thus far of the LN I read she is often extremely cruel unnecessarily. hough I love the anime for Hikki (easily I can see parts of myself in them) and Hayato.
That actually reminds me, Hayato and Yumiko were far more relatable and better characters than Hachiman and Yukino which makes me baffled by the show's earlier attempt to make them look like assholes when in reality they are just nice cool people to hang out with and not bitter jerks.

That's I think why I like her. Or maybe its just I think that's just a hard outer shell hiding a fluffy center.
I just wish they would have given it more focus or at least more thought to her character outside of "my rich family depends on my big sister only and ignore me"

Whilst her crushing was cute, that's not really what I want to see. Especially not is this kind of show/manga.

See, that's what normal people would think... But you never can tell what direction they would go with this because Japan. I still have Oreimo 2 flashbacks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yeah, that would be a bit too weird. I mean I can kind of accept the 10 year gap between her and the assistant because it's one of those funny things where the 10 year gap is bit ooh eck at their current ages but in some years time that gap isn't as much of a taboo. Hell there are age gap far exceeding that is the celeb world.

Quasar

Yeah, that would be a bit too weird. I mean I can kind of accept the 10 year gap between her and the assistant because it's one of those funny things where the 10 year gap is bit ooh eck at their current ages but in some years time that gap isn't as much of a taboo. Hell there are age gap far exceeding that is the celeb world.

Oh the age gap wouldn't really bother me too much, just the whole 'one of my best friends is now my step-mum' hijinx. That doesn't seem suitable for the tone of the show.

Witch Craft Works 1
An actiony harem with an useless protagonist and so far no particularly cute harem members. Cute ending animation though

Soma

White Album 2 Episodes 10-13 End

That ended on a much more bittersweet note than I was anticipating. While the story did take a turn for the melodramatic after episode 7, I honestly didn't feel like the show ever had a "show-killing" moment for me (at least to the degree of something like a Ghost Banri or something). It managed to stay fairly grounded and while character motivations weren't always agreeable, they were understandable.

The intro for the last episode was probably
one of the more "classier" examples of a love scene (well as far as anime goes at least), especially as it portrayed a realistic sense of guilt and lust.
I haven't really seen that a lot in anime, at least in recent memory. The love triangle felt like it was handled with as much care as possible given the circumstances and the anime just felt very earnest in its portrayal of love and loss. It's not exactly a happy ending for any of the main characters involved and I can respect an anime for pulling that off without any crazy shit happening and without painting any of the characters as a "villain". They all felt like they had more depth to them than that.

I can imagine the VN goes into much more detail of the aftermath of the events of the anime. It was a pretty good show though, much better than I expected it would be.

fertygo

#teamharuno

That actually reminds me, Hayato and Yumiko were far more relatable and better characters than Hachiman and Yukino which makes me baffled by the show's earlier attempt to make them look like assholes when in reality they are just nice cool people to hang out with and not bitter jerks.

I just wish they would have given it more focus or at least more thought to her character outside of "my rich family depends on my big sister only and ignore me"

Hey Hachiman is cool I like his dynamic with the good guy bishounen, hope next season expand further that.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 13

Very entertaining episode. Began with a hilarious confrontation between Melissa and Tessa after Melisssa left cigarettes and beer cans all over her quarters. Also a pretty yuri-tastic ending between the two. Maybe Sousuke is in the clear to get Chidori now.

Kurz brings up a good point though. They very clearly agreed that the loser would run a lap around the base naked. They can't just renege now that they had a teary make-up.

Yuushibu - 10 & 11

I'm going back a little on ep 10 because i wanted to say :

Yuushibu%20-%2010.jpg

So cute , i want to take her home !

That crying young fino deserve a big hug, ( standing in front of her father to protect her mother )

Good woork fino.

Now on episode 11.

Blaze was a push-over as expected, the revelation on the old hero system aren't even a surprise.. seeing as the whole set of events , if you look at it is no different than a war market.

All A is back ! But raul was kinda badass during this episode.. i'm quite surprised since the fight was better animated than i could have expected.
I guess i should give a mention of the bad guy of this arc that managed to push the right button in order to get his point across.

But the bigeest mention here is this character :

Yuushibu%20-%2011.jpg

Translation : you're going to PAY !

Did she just one shoot a three headed flying dragon with a calculator ?
WTF

I mean WTF ....

i'm not even going to comment on what she did with a vacuum cleaner....

This show ...lol

Don't let me down final episode !!

cnet128

Banned
Time to finally finish off the last few episodes I haven't watched of last season. Starting with...

Monogatari SS 26 END (Koimonogatari 6 END)

Yep, that was a damn fine ending to a damn fine adaptation. The one black mark on this one was the awful
CG snakes
that made up the background to a lot of the episode. I mean, I know
a multitude of writhing snakes literally covering the entire scene
would probably be hellish to hand-animate, but they could have tried a little harder even so.
The sense of threat was lessened significantly, since it looked more like Kaiki was standing in some kind of static whirlpool of white mush rather than a swarm of deadly predators any one of which could kill him on a whim, and Kaiki's honest comment that the scene was "beautiful" felt ironic in all the wrong ways.

But yeah, that said, even
awful CG
wasn't enough to ruin the great conclusion to this great arc. Even knowing exactly what was coming, every last moment of it was a pleasure to experience. Kaiki was amazing, Nadeko was amazing, and of course
random snake kid out of nowhere was amazing
. Dat Nisio Isin
picking up plot threads from all the way back at the end of Nadeko's original arc in Bake, when Araragi let the curse snake escape to torment the girl who sent it

Now to begin the wait for Hanamonogatari sometime this year! And, uh, Kizumonogatari on the twelfth of never.

Nisemonogatari 1

I missed Nisio's writing, but not some of his perverted scenes that need to be purged from the show.

lolno

cnet128

Banned
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono 11

Episode of extra high-speed gags (they managed to cover the Astronomy Club AND Cheerleading Club in a single episode!) and of the Mobukos' existence being creepy as fuck. No seriously if even one of those existed in the same room as me, never mind a whole swarm of them, I would run. Fast.

Yuushibu - 12

Well that was an alright ending .

it was mostly by the book and predictable but it was well done. The episode itself was a mix of bad animation , great & awesome animation and horrible censorship

Seriously this is worse than light beams!

As a whole the anime was funny , more intresting than expected and the cast was good.
Fino cheerfullness was alright .

A nice 6.5/10 anime.
Would have been 7.5 or 8 if it was uncessored and with more of the old man + fino misunderstandings.

cnet128

Banned
Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono 12 END

fucking graduation episodes ;_;

(lol @ final Koharun teasing &
title drop
. A fitting end to this fun little series.)

survivor

Banned
Nisemonogatari 2

Not that I don't mind seeing the same characters being reintroduced again especially the lewd Kanbaru, but I really don't see the point of these encounters given that the focus should be on the sisters going by the episode titles anyway.

Thoraxes

Yuushibu - 12

Well that was an alright ending .

it was mostly by the book and predictable but it was well done. The episode itself was a mix of bad animation , great & awesome animation and horrible censorship

Seriously this is worse than light beams!

As a whole the anime was funny , more intresting than expected and the cast was good.
Fino cheerfullness was alright .

A nice 6.5/10 anime.
Would have been 7.5 or 8 if it was uncessored and with more of the old man + fino misunderstandings.

There be previews of the uncensored version out there.

And man is it really good.

Also they drew the whole cast of women naked in some of the included art. Manager-sama has inverted nipples.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 7

Good episode to help humanize the crew and show how many backgrounds they're all coming from. Comm scene with daisuke was so sad.

EaA6H28.jpg

(Dude on the far right is tripping)

The maid costumes, tight spacesuits, and other random cosplay was also a nice plus. I'm not sure who is being more shady, the security guy creeping up on the cartographer officer or that cartographer herself, something just didn't seem right about that.

4VAbYIq.jpg

I mean, this guy is the face of trustworthiness!

Wes

venison crêpe
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 1-14

Saw someone mention this series as I was glancing through threads over the Christmas break and decided to give it a go as the Christmas TV has been awful again this year. I'm really enjoying this. I've just watched episode 14. Really enjoyed how confusing it was. Looking forward to see where this is going.

Edit: ^ hah what timing!

Once I get back from vacations I plan on starting/finishing the second season of Gundam Seed. Then to wash the supposed bad taste from my mouth, hopefully Space Dandy will have aired by then. Which I thought it aired today.

duckroll

Great to see interest in Yamato 2199 picking up so quickly over the holidays. It's a show everyone who likes scifi should try out. :D

Digimon Xros Wars 54

I guess to give it credit, I fairly enjoyed seeing the giant battle. Cause you know this is probably the first time since the first episode where this whole army vs. army thing actually happens instead of one ugly sentai monster comes in and sweeps stuff.

And then, it decides to beat the final boss by FUSING everybody cause I guess we got to make damn use of the fusion thing for the damn last time. So whatever. 24 more bad episodes to go.

I would be happy if either Yamato or Attack on Titan won Anime of the year. But if something like The Eccentric Family won I would be ecstatic. If Kill La Kill wins I'll be a sad panda. The hype and expectations I had killed it for me.

cnet128

Banned
Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- 13 END

A pretty good ending to this run, I thought. Akina's confrontation with Enjin was suitably flashy (though Akina really does need to do something about that little issue where his powers cause him crippling damage every time he uses them...) and the revelations about their abilities that occurred therein, while not particularly shocking, were certainly intriguing and have potentially gamechanging implications for the future of the series.

One thing I'm not quite clear on now, though, is - what exactly does the future of this series look like in terms of the anime adaptation? I know there's another OVA series in progress called Tsuki ni Naku - does that follow directly on from the end of this series, or is it adapting later manga material such that another season would be required to bridge the gap?

Either way, though, this final episode has left me pretty satisfied for the time being. It was cute to see
Lila's loli disguise form from episode 1
again at the end, even if just for a moment.

Yozakura Quartet -Hana no Uta- 13 END

One thing I'm not quite clear on now, though, is - what exactly does the future of this series look like in terms of the anime adaptation? I know there's another OVA series in progress called Tsuki ni Naku - does that follow directly on from the end of this series, or is it adapting later manga material such that another season would be required to bridge the gap?

It follows directly from the end of the TV series, so you can think of it as episodes 14-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom