• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for anyone's who's familiar with Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic's anime adaption and manga.

I heard a while ago that the show diverges from the manga near the end in a bad way.

I'm only on episode 11 right now, but if this is the case how does the second season work? Is all of that anime original content too or do they somehow realign back with the manga?

Kieli

Hunter x Hunter - 70

I somehow highly doubt Hisoka is top 5. I don't understand why some people are claiming that. I can easily think of 8 people stronger than him...

Netero, "Gon-san", Mereum, the 3 Royal Guards, Ging, Chrollo

Again, aren't those Premium cards supposed to be one of a kind? Why do they have the same one?

And yeah, the outfits aren't that great.

I'm going to pretend that they actually aren't. I'm also going to pretend that those were for audition, because no way in hell are they going to go out looking like that.

I'm only on episode 11 right now, but if this is the case how does the second season work? Is all of that anime original content too or do they somehow realign back with the manga?

The anime has already started to diverge from the manga (at least for people who are all caught up on the show), mostly in regards to things that are happening in the anime which didn't happen in the manga.

Kieli

I have a question for anyone's who's familiar with Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic's anime adaption and manga.

I heard a while ago that the show diverges from the manga near the end in a bad way.

The anime deviates from the manga in small, but really weird ways. As in, it changes some plot events for no reason, which might cause minor issues in the future.

I can't point to anything more specific because I stopped after 7 episodes. The anime was (warning, incoming hyperbole) a shit adaptation of the manga, so I stopped watching.

duckroll

It doesn't really diverge. There is anime original stuff at the end of the first season, which wasn't great but hardly any worse than the poor quality of the adaptation in general. It just made the events at the end more climatic and more "exciting". There was some good action animation, but overall it was kinda dumb and not really consistent with the tone of the story.

The end result is mostly exactly the same as the manga events though, so the second season just picks up where the story left off.

The anime has already started to diverge from the manga (at least for people who are all caught up on the show), mostly in regards to things that are happening in the anime which didn't happen in the manga.

There is pretty much no diversion at all in season 2. It fact, most episodes are 1:1 with the manga now.

Gazoinks

From the New World 1

I don't really know what's going on, but it was certainly intriguing. Surprisingly creepy, too (that Ogre!). Seems kinda like The Village or The Giver? Will keep watching.

yami4ct

From the New World 1

I don't really know what's going on, but it was certainly intriguing. Surprisingly creepy, too (that Ogre!). Seems kinda like The Village or The Giver? Will keep watching.

Ooooo. Good pick. Have fun watching it! One of my favorites of last year. The atmosphere is so effective.

From the New World 1

It gave me huge The Giver vibes. Although there are some major differences between it and The Giver, which you'll soon see.

Anyway, one of the most underrated shows of Fall 2012. It does have a bit of dip in quality in the middle, but it gets great again.

The anime deviates from the manga in small, but really weird ways. As in, it changes some plot events for no reason, which might cause minor issues in the future.

I can't point to anything more specific because I stopped after 7 episodes. The anime was (warning, incoming hyperbole) a shit adaptation of the manga, so I stopped watching.

It doesn't really diverge. There is anime original stuff at the end of the first season, which wasn't great but hardly any worse than the poor quality of the adaptation in general. It just made the events at the end more climatic and more "exciting". There was some good action animation, but overall it was kinda dumb and not really consistent with the tone of the story.

The end result is mostly exactly the same as the manga events though, so the second season just picks up where the story left off.

There is pretty much no diversion at all in season 2. It fact, most episodes are 1:1 with the manga now.

So it seems there's nothing to worry about then. I haven't read the manga but I was just concerned if they were going off in a different direction FMA style.

Thanks for the answers.

Gazoinks

Ooooo. Good pick. Have fun watching it! One of my favorites of last year. The atmosphere is so effective.

Yeah, I saw some people mentioning it in the AOTY thread and realized it completely passed me by. Want to watch this and Rozen Maiden before voting ends.

Stick to it! It's a bit slow going at first.

So far it at least seems like the good kind of slow where it's mysterious and atmospheric instead of just dull.

Speaking of which, I should finish Ergo Proxy some day. I liked the first half, but the second half ground the pacing to a halt. Few single episodes of a show have sapped my will to watch like Ergo Proxy 16, an episode in which literally nothing happens until the end of the episode comes and a deus ex machina moves the characters along. If I sound bitter it's because I am a little. :p

Mature

So far it at least seems like the good kind of slow where it's mysterious and atmospheric instead of just dull.

Speaking of which, I should finish Ergo Proxy some day. I liked the first half, but the second half ground the pacing to a halt. Few single episodes of a show have sapped my will to watch like Ergo Proxy 16, an episode in which literally nothing happens until the end of the episode comes and a deus ex machina moves the characters along. If I sound bitter it's because I am a little. :p
Ergo Proxy is much less a mandatory viewing than From the New World, but I still think it's an entertaining watch. I guess it's just hard to recommend something when it's just "mostly inoffensive" when it's bad and "sort of entertaining" when it's good.

Gazoinks

Ergo Proxy is much less a mandatory viewing than From the New World, but I still think it's an entertaining watch. I guess it's just hard to recommend something when it's just "mostly inoffensive" when it's bad and "sort of entertaining" when it's good.

I thought the first half of the show did a pretty solid job of setting up a decent atmosphere and some mysteries, but the second half didn't feel like it was doing much with them. Watching it dubbed may have also been a mistake, as I got pretty tired of Vincent's voice.

yami4ct

Yeah, I saw some people mentioning it in the AOTY thread and realized it completely passed me by. Want to watch this and Rozen Maiden before voting ends.

Don't be too ashamed, seems like the majority of people in Japan missed it as well given how abysmal its sales were. Always sad to me that that show flopped so hard. It was quite ambitious, and that's something I like to see.

Forgot to review the other thing I'm watching.

After War Gundam X: Episodes 2-26

Man, I really really dig this one. It's got such a different, interesting world from most Gundam shows. I also love its much smaller focus. It doesn't have to be about an all out, full scale world war. The smaller scope really meshes well with the nature of the characters and setting. It really feels like a place that's been so severely ravaged by war, it's nearly impossible to recover.

The cast is also really fascinating as well. It's probably got the highest percentage of characters I like of any Gundam AU show, aside from maybe G or Turn A. The entire crew of the Frieden are really fleshed out and well characterized. I love the way Jamil feels like an older Amuro-type who's been absolutely destroyed from the war he's experienced. Garrod continues to be a really fun protagonist and his relationship with Tiffa is sort of adorable. It's a fun little light plot in the middle of a really dark story. Witz and Roybea started off as kind of annoying characters, but both have grown in really great ways and are now super fun to watch. I also love the role Frost brothers play as rival gundam pilots. They definitely feel like sort of standard gundam villains, but theres just enough twists with them to keep them really fun to watch.

Overall, I'm getting a lot more enjoyment out of this than I expected. Given that it's one of the worst performing Gundam shows of all time, I expected it to be sort of garbage. What I got was an interesting meditation on the after-effects of the wars we see in every Gundam show and it's a perspective we rarely get from that franchise. For that reason alone, it's easily become on of my favorite AU gundams.

Finished Akagi.

Is Nagi no Asukara any decent? I have that, Beyond the Boundary, and Un-Go next on my list of things that looked somewhat interesting.

Digimon Xros Wars II 03

0weyAIRl.jpg

Digimon and Human problems. So I guess monster of the week junk now cause the idea of being Digimon Rangers probably wasn't interesting enough.

You should probably not watch any of these.

lol. Well that's a damn shame. Some friend of mine said Beyond The Boundary was good. I guess not. The only reason I picked those is because they are on Crunchyroll and I want to get the most out of my subscription. Any alternate suggestions?

It gave me huge The Giver vibes. Although there are some major differences between it and The Giver, which you'll soon see.

Anyway, one of the most underrated shows of Fall 2012. It does have a bit of dip in quality in the middle, but it gets great again.

Really? I felt the best quality was in the middle, when all the characters
are 14.
. The last bit of the final arc was also pretty bad in my opinion. Horrid animation at parts, and
the "twist" with the child was hinted at so many times that it became a pain in the ass waiting for the main characters to actually make use of it.

Still an enjoyable show though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
lol. Well that's a damn shame. Some friend of mine said Beyond The Boundary was good. I guess not. The only reason I picked those is because they are on Crunchyroll and I want to get the most out of my subscription. Any alternate suggestions?
There are lots of shows on CR, and it's hard to know what people have watched. For stuff that just finished or is currently being simulcast I would say pick from Yowapeda, Log Horizon, and Kyousougiga.

duckroll

I actually don't drink... yet

Perhaps I should save those series for my 21st birthday.

Any alternate suggestions Duckroll? For shows on Crunchy.

edit: Beyond the Slope is on crunchy. I've heard that's good.

Well, there's no harm trying shows even if people tell you they're no good. YMMV, etc. Just don't be afraid to drop them early if you get a sense that it might not be for you. :)

I actually don't drink... yet

Perhaps I should save those series for my 21st birthday.

Any alternate suggestions Duckroll? For shows on Crunchy.

edit: Beyond the Slope is on crunchy. I've heard that's good.

Here's a list of things on Crunchyroll I would endorse:

5 Centimeters Per Second
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Encouragement of Climb
Fate Zero
Flowers of Evil
Gankutsuou
Gintama
Girls und Panzer
Hanasaku Iroha
Hourou Musuko - Wandering Son
Kaasan Mom's Life
Kaiji
Level E
Love Lab
Meganebu
Mushi-shi
My Ordinary Life
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Natsume Yujin-cho
Poyopoyo
Rozen Maiden Zuruckspulen
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes
The Eccentric Family
The Rose of Versailles
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop

Aikatsu 17

qWY3Wxp.jpg

That glance

SONGS ARE WHAT POWER CG! I UNDERSTAND THIS NOW! And based on the shit that happened,
I think Ichigo's mother was that partner to the Headmistriss due to DAT GLANCE, and that hard stare at the end of the concert

Ichigo went too far, and we had to see the true gap between their skills. In which we come across just how frightening she really is. She's good because she steals idols souls, and make them her slaves.

Gazoinks

From the New World 2

I like how the beginning segment of each of this episodes shows a little bit of the history of the world, sets up
why the psychics need to be trained and restricted
well. So
the cat monster thingy is the thing that does the disappearing. Wonder what is has to do with that giant pillar.

...Who's Marie?

Also rat people.

Digimon Xros Wars II 04

1t1CEAsl.jpg

We are really going on with this monster junk of the week now? I mean, it's not even like people are getting character development cause even if it supposed to be someone's turn to shine, the terrible main character takes his share of it.

Andrew J.

Witch Craft Works 01

This was okay. Humor usually landed, the action wasn't terrible, protagonist is tolerable...but man, that ED is something else.

Aikatsu 18

Man, poor Johnny. Poor Raichi. Both neglected, the latter didn't get chocolates from Aoi. Hits him hard considering his massive boner for her. To the point that this was ship bait for Aoichi. Err what?

There was crossdressing. Didn't see that coming. It made me think of several people though...

Jintor

Madman on top of destroying simulcasting.

Go go Madman!

-_-

Wait, Space Dandy leaked from Madman? Didn't the KLK leak also come from them? Is their security a sieve?

Madman to leak the Dream Machine next.

I need to go talk to some reps.

Though I honestly wouldn't be opposed if they just pulled the rights and reverted to crunchy because madman does notttttt have an app or anything approaching a decent streaming service. Though on the upside they don't charge.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 3

That's a BMG. I loved everything about the build-up to actually using it, from the firing controls, to the beeping countdown timer, the various displays, the glare shield and goggles, the firing "pin," and the actual shot of course.

Aikatsu! 19

What?

We found our fifth ranger! VAMPIRE!

For once, Ichigo lost to an established name. Really fresh

And we now have a new genre added to both songs and fashion style. Really doing well with the expanded song list potential and whatnot. Too bad Ichigo wore those awful clothing from that two parter.
It's why she lost.

duckroll

I need to go talk to some reps.

Though I honestly wouldn't be opposed if they just pulled the rights and reverted to crunchy because madman does notttttt have an app or anything approaching a decent streaming service. Though on the upside they don't charge.

It's not hard for them to just prevent these fuck ups though. It's really simple. Stop putting the video files up on a public server before the simulcast starts. For some unfathomable reason, they can't resist doing that. Wonzo was able to watch the episode on an actual active page on their site earlier. It was available for anyone who knew the url (and it was a really obvious url!) and had the right geographical IP. There isn't even any "hacking" involved.

Madman just needs to step it up or they're not going to be simulcasting anything in future.

Jintor

It's not hard for them to just prevent these fuck ups though. It's really simple. Stop putting the video files up on a public server before the simulcast starts. For some unfathomable reason, they can't resist doing that. Wonzo was able to watch the episode on an actual active page on their site earlier. It was available for anyone who knew the url (and it was a really obvious url!) and had the right geographical IP. There isn't even any "hacking" involved.

Madman just needs to step it up or they're not going to be simulcasting anything in future.

I'm hoping they know that.

Jintor

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 1

I'm surprised at how much I remember from Star Blazers. But I didn't watch much past this, so it should be all new from here on out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom