• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Was it Dres who came up with the Shoe nickname?

In my defense, the Inori character design was pretty great. Little did I know how fugging terrible all the characters and the story would be.

Articalys

In the end the best things about Guilty Crown were that we got four supercell songs out of it, plus redjuice's awesome character designs and illustrations.

ibrntlqOvst5Vd.gif

How dare you laugh at probably the saddest part of that episode. :,)

Well I was pretty meh on both Angel Beats (in fact I was so meh I dropped it after 2 episodes) and Little Busters. Liked the first half of Little Busters though.

Not that Key makes anime.

I know that but these are all animes that Key was involved in some way or another. I didn't like Angel Beats in the first episode and dropped it. After a few months I came around and decided to watch until episode 3 and my opinion spun around pretty quickly. It's actually one of my favorites. Little Busters is just freakin confusing until the last like 6 episodes of Refrain. Not as emotional as Angel Beats or Clannad After Story but damn if I don't like those characters.

My unending hate of everything Jun Maeda took a crippling blow when I discovered that Clannad is, surprisingly enough, pretty damn good. It's not an admission I make easily, believe me! (Kyou best girl)

Angel Beats however is an abomination and always will be (especially given Key evidently sold out and made the VN maximum lewd)

Actually I know it's not popular but after finishing After Story I do like Nagisa the most. Had I not watched After Story than yes Kyou and Tomoyo are the best.

I believe the Angel Beats VN is not like that in that there is no sex scenes or that sort of lewdness happening. It's like the Clannad VN before they added in those types of scenes.

But to each his own. I love Angel Beats.

Quasar

I know that but these are all animes that Key was involved in some way or another. I didn't like Angel Beats in the first episode and dropped it. After a few months I came around and decided to watch until episode 3 and my opinion spun around pretty quickly. It's actually one of my favorites. Little Busters is just freakin confusing until the last like 6 episodes of Refrain. Not as emotional as Angel Beats or Clannad After Story but damn if I don't like those characters.

See I wasn't really that enthused by the characters.

Personally I liked Kanon more than Little Busters and what I saw of Angel Beats. And even there it was only one arc that i really liked.

I have never been disappointed by something that I myself was hyped about. Only stuff other people tried to get me hyped about.

I have been pleasantly surprised though. Steins;Gate and Kaiji come to mind.

See I wasn't really that enthused by the characters.

Personally I liked Kanon more than Little Busters and what I saw of Angel Beats. And even there it was only one arc that i really liked.

Yeah I didn't like the characters at first either because I felt they were uninspired. But JC did something where I was slightly interested in what was going on. The characters grew on me from there. Especially the outgoing ones. Not my favorite Key inspired anime either but I was satisfied by the end and grew to like each character and their quirks.

I am in the same boat. Kanon is actually one of my least liked of the Key animes.

My problem with Angel Beats was I thought it was a completely serious drama. Once I realized it was Action/Comedy/SoL, I loved it. You should give it another go. If it doesn't pull you in by episode 4 you can drop it.

Branduil

The problem with classifying Angel Beats as a comedy is that it's not funny.

Except rocket chairs, that was pretty funny.

That's the saddest part. There's a lot of potential for comedy with school hijinks when nobody can really die but most of it is wasted.

The problem with classifying Angel Beats as a comedy is that it's not funny.

Except rocket chairs, that was pretty funny.

I found the Hinata/Naoi, Hinata/Yuri and Hinata/Yui banter amusing to say the least. Basically anything with characters messing with Hinata.

Actually question. For those that "hate" Angel Beats, did you watch it subbed or dubbed?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Weren't you saying that he was Toei's best director or something?

2nd best (Rie Matsumoto ofc), but while he has talent, he doesn't have much experience and has a better track record as an episode director than a series director. The fact that he was chosen to do this at all is a huge vote of confidence in his abilities, but ultimately the truth is that he's still just a guy who did three really good episodes of Smile Precure so he's not remotely in the same league as Satou/Ikuhara/Igarashi.

Un-Go: Complete

It started out strong, fizzled a bit near the end, as every anime it needed to add an
akira monster battle
and it ended on a good if not extremely vague note. I was entertained, the main character didn't have much of a personality besides serious detective. But I guess that ended up working in his favor? I don't know I enjoyed him. The main antagonist to him, who worked a bit like his Mycroft, was very interesting too. There was a bit of a romance mixed in with all of this as well, though nothing really developed from it besides a hint here and there. Shame it could have added some spice to it.

I'm not interested in the backstory enough to watch episode 0, but I'd still recommend the show for everybody who wants to watch a solid BONES show. I know I've said it multiple times but the ED for this show was AMAZING. AMAAAAAAAAAAZING. If that ED was a woman you have no idea what I'd be willing to do to her. Like take her out to a nice dinner. Listen to her. Be interested in her life.
and stick it in her pooper

The weakness of the show was the supernatural element. I don't know what it is with sci-fi detective/noir shows and having to add a supernatural element. Speed Grapher AND this show would have been better without it.

jman2050

I found the Hinata/Naoi, Hinata/Yuri and Hinata/Yui banter amuzing to say the least. Basically anything with characters messing with Hinata.

Actually question. For those that "hate" Angel Beats, did you watch it subbed or dubbed?

I'm just going to say that it's fine if you like it and I'm not going to hold it against you or anything, if you're worried about that that is.

I watched it subbed.

Thoraxes

Un-Go: Complete

I've said it multiple times but the ED for this show was AMAZING. AMAAAAAAAAAAZING. If that ED was a woman you have no idea what I'd be willing to do to her. Like take her out to a nice dinner. Listen to her. Be interested in her life.
and stick it in her pooper

The OP track is really outstanding too. One of my favs from that season.

I'm just going to say that it's fine if you like it and I'm not going to hold it against you or anything, if you're worried about that that is.

I watched it subbed.

No I was just wondering because I always find that people who loved the show watched it dubbed while people who are impartial to it or dislike it watched it subbed. Trying to confirm the correlation.

I watched it dubbed. So...

I honestly don't care what people think. If we all thought and liked the same thing we wouldn't have all these diverse genres in all our entertainment. Just like how I like Kill la Kill but I don't believe it's as great as most like to make it out to be. Or how I actually hated Attack on Titan with the first episode (I came around to it though). Or even how I hated Soul Eater's end (that was a cop out). It doesn't matter. We all like different things and I don't mind being in the minority opinion of loving Angel Beats in AnimeGAF.

fertygo

I found the Hinata/Naoi, Hinata/Yuri and Hinata/Yui banter amuzing to say the least. Basically anything with characters messing with Hinata.

I watch it while its airing, frigging torturous..

Maeda jun need to realize abusing slapstick nonstop not gonna make good comedy.

Syrinx

2nd best (Rie Matsumoto ofc), but while he has talent, he doesn't have much experience and has a better track record as an episode director than a series director. The fact that he was chosen to do this at all is a huge vote of confidence in his abilities, but ultimately the truth is that he's still just a guy who did three really good episodes of Smile Precure so he's not remotely in the same league as Satou/Ikuhara/Igarashi.
Fair enough.

Heroman 1

I know people told me to not watch this. But this show has tried its hardest to remind it's set in America I've been laughing so much. Also the first glimpse of the bad guys. MY GOD.

Underling: Sir we've received a message from an unknown race in an unknown planet that wants to make contact with us.

Boss: Let's hurry up and destroy them. BECAUSE FUCK THEM THAT'S WHY

Then we're introduced to obviously sister-complex brother,

McDouchebag: HEY JOEY. STAY AWAY FROM MA SISTER YO YO!

Joey: Why? I fucking work for a living, have an easy going personality I'm obviously not trying to undress her with my eyes and I'm a genuine nice guy. WHY.

McDouchebag: BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY!

and giant hair crippled African American Spike.

I... I don't know what to say. It's like everything I've wanted and more. Please tell me a giant eagle with an american flag becomes his sidekick.

edit:
tQKqkXX.jpg

WHAT THE FUCK. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AOTY.

I watch it while its airing, frigging torturous..

Maeda jun need to realize abusing slapstick nonstop not gonna make good comedy.

I wouldn't call it all slapstick (some of the earlier episodes used some though). I was invested in the action, drama and plot though. The comedy was there to break up the pace every once in a while. I think the dub does the show more justice.

Subbed I think. And really it was mostly the premise that I had no interest in. Not that I hated it, I just found it uninteresting.

That's fair.

Jintor

No I was just wondering because I always find that people who loved the show watched it dubbed while people who are impartial to it or dislike it watched it subbed. Trying to confirm the correlation.

I watched it dubbed. So...

I honestly don't care what people think. If we all thought and liked the same thing we wouldn't have all these diverse genres in all our entertainment. Just like how I like Kill la Kill but I don't believe it's as great as most like to make it out to be. Or how I actually hated Attack on Titan with the first episode (I came around to it though). Or even how I hated Soul Eater's end (that was a cop out). It doesn't matter. We all like different things and I don't mind being in the minority opinion of loving Angel Beats in AnimeGAF.

that's cool

if you like sao though i'll secretly look down on you though

well, maybe not secretly

jman2050

To go at it another direction, this and the discussion that followed is probably AnimeGAF's crowning achievement.

So I noticed in that discussion that Branduil posted That Pic, which led me to wonder to myself exactly how many times he's posted That Pic over the past 2 years and change since he watched the show in question. I counted 15 times but I knew there had to be more because the time stamps didn't go far back enough, and indeed it was posted an additional 6 times under a different image host.

Assuming I didn't miss anything, that means there are 21 instances of That Pic from Brandy since October of 2011. Roughly a little less than 0.8 instances per month.

I just wanted to share this with all of you for some reason.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh boy you don't even want to know what happens in the manga.

she gets amnesia and now hates protag, so now he has to make her fall in love with him again. LAWL
Holy fucking Christ. Manga is supposed to be better than Amerianga because DC and Marvel are afraid to end their books. I guess everyone is equally guilty of milking their audiences dry.

I was so wrong about Hyouka.
So wrong.

Quasar

Holy fucking Christ. Manga is supposed to be better than Amerianga because DC and Marvel are afraid to end their books. I guess everyone is equally guilty of milking their audiences dry.

Its a long time since I thought that. After all we have things like One Piece 600 chapters in and how long is the whole Dragonball thing?

As for Sankarea...I don't actually think it will cycle like suggested I expect it to end badly way before then.

that's cool

if you like sao though i'll secretly look down on you though

well, maybe not secretly

I liked the first season.

I am split on the second season. I hate the fairy/elf/flying crap.
I didn't like the dancing in circles crap at the end. All that said I am happy Asuna was saved.
So it got points for that. I would say that I am indifferent to the show. I don't like the premise of SAO II so my opinion may go to the gutter after that.

That being said I love the abridged series so if anything I can appreciate it exists so I can laugh at this.

kanon4a.jpg

kanon4b.jpg

key, the highest form of anime

I have no idea what you're trying to imply here but to each his own.

zeroshiki

I don't feel like making a thread but have you ever thought to yourself how much your life was lacking idols and zombies? Well, never fear, Bandai Namco has got just the solution for you.

I'll give you time to pick your jaw up from the floor. Ok? So its apparently a light gun game and "you" get to partner with one member and then go around shooting the other zombie-fied members. However (!!) when AKB48 music starts to play, the zombies start dancing and it err... turns into a rhythm game.

I... don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom