• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

So intellectual enjoyment is now somehow a less valid form of enjoyment? Do you even realize what you're saying?

I think the idea is that intellectual enjoyment isn't the only valid form.

Additionally that not liking something that's "intellectual' doesn't actually say anything about your ability to enjoy fiction at an intellectual level.

Or something.

Please. People vote for AoTY not because they have AnimeGAF's Stick of Good Taste shoved up their asses, but because they liked the shows. A vote in AOTY doesn't mean "Oh yes this is a well written example of character development by jove eh wot" but "I liked this and had fun with it."

And even shit doesn't happen in Hyouka. The show is constipated in all senses of the word.

And people voted Hyouka AOTY by a large margin because they liked it, not because the monocles forced them to.

Gintama 09

Nothing but visual pun gags, among other things (the worst kind of gags. My heart goes out to the translator). Still, we saw Gintoki handling something relatively seriously.

The Gin-sensei skits at the end continue to be the best parts, but they're like the cherry on top of a sundae of funny and amazing.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Please. People vote for AoTY not because they have AnimeGAF's Stick of Good Taste shoved up their asses, but because they liked the shows. A vote in AOTY doesn't mean "Oh yes this is a well written example of character development by jove eh wot" but "I liked this and had fun with it."

And even shit doesn't happen in Hyouka. The show is constipated in all senses of the word.

Corvo plz

I happened to watch through the entirety of Hyouka not more than 2 weeks ago and I liked it and had fun with it, in part because it IS a well written example of character development. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. I readily accept that Hyouka doesn't match what you're looking for in a show, but please don't assume we all view it through the same lens you do.

Shengar

It's the boobs.

Because of all the life

I Rewatch the OP multiple times when we get a new episodes

It's too awesome not to watch.

There's a lot of movement in that gif to appreciate.

Lots and lots... of movement... appreciate, yes.

Because it's so happy and bouncy and squee and stuff!

I took me some moment to realize that I have watched that for almost 2 minutes. That gif should be illegal! Its....hypnotizing!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
New thread? Wall of shame time!

Code:
kayos90  135  
Psycho_Mantis  131  
Save 'N Quit  129  
foxuzamaki  124  
Thoraxes  117  
astrogamer  107  
jbug617  102  
Watanabe Kazuma  100

With each thread I'll grow even stronger!

Never been so low on a WOS list before.

Branduil

And people voted Hyouka AOTY by a large margin because they liked it, not because the monocles forced them to.

Yeah it definitely wasn't because I was going around threatening people with a sledgehammer. That never happened and my lawyer can back me up on that.

Although he's still called a wife. :p
details , details

This picture reminded me, are you gonna do your part in supporting real yuri works and buy Lesbian Married Life manga?
Seems intresting , i'll at least read the start to see if it's any good.

You have been visited by the Isumi Bird

ew5LXlx.gif
This gif annoy me , only for the fact that we'll never have the athena arc animated and we'll never see all the dragon summoning battles she did ...

Yeah i'm mad.

Here's an interesting thing about me.

I don't much care for intellectual anime. I did a bit many years ago, but not anymore. Not so much, at least, I like things like Kino's Journey and Time of Eve, though.

On the other hand, I don't like most fiction novels anymore. And I usually read books about non-fiction outside of manga. Political books, history books, science books, sociology books, books like that.

I don't think that someone's interest in anime reflects how "intellectual" they are. Usually when I want to watch anime, I just want to see something cute and funny. When reading something text heavy, however, I want to learn something. It's fun to watch an adorable anime and thenafter read a heavy book about physics. And it's also fun to, after watching an extremely adorable anime, to read a book about political science. I feel these things compliment each other.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Nobunagun - 05 *10:21 mins in* [END]

While I am incredibly grateful that we were given this amazing kissing scene 5 mins into this episode, they also made it painfully obvious that Sio is developing feelings for that toolbag Adam "aka Jack the Ripper". It's one thing if she was liking him from the start and had her eyes on no one else prior, but when you tease me with the idea of her having feelings for Asao (not to mention the subtext) only to have her fall for a man I will not tolerate that bullshit. Dropped.

Lurky

I don't much care for intellectual anime. I did a bit many years ago, but not anymore. Not so much, at least, I like things like Kino's Journey and Time of Eve, though.

On the other hand, I don't like most fiction novels anymore. And I usually read books about non-fiction outside of manga. Political books, history books, science books, sociology books, books like that.

I don't think that someone's interest in anime reflects how "intellectual" they are. Usually when I want to watch anime, I just want to see something cute and funny. When reading something text heavy, however, I want to learn something. It's fun to watch an adorable anime and thenafter read a heavy book about physics. And it's also fun to, after watching an extremely adorable anime, to read a book about political science. I feel these things compliment each other.

There's such a thing as intellectual anime? That's very surprising.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think the idea is that intellectual enjoyment isn't the only valid form.

Additionally that not liking something that's "intellectual' doesn't actually say anything about your ability to enjoy fiction at an intellectual level.

Or something.

Sure, that's an entirely reasonable stance and I also enjoy things that are by all accounts "stupid" or artistically bankrupt. The insinuation that there's a mutual exclusion between "intellectual" enjoyment and "real" enjoyment is what I take issue with, especially when the idea that one of these is not "real" or "true" enjoyment feels like an attempt to invalidate it. Corvo insists that's not what he meant, it's just how I interpreted it.

There isn't?

Well, there seems to be a lot of anime that fans consider to be intellectual.
It seems like some of the most "intellectual" anime, are much less intellectual than most fans give them credit for, though.

jman2050

Sure, that's an entirely reasonable stance and I also enjoy things that are by all accounts "stupid" or artistically bankrupt. The insinuation that there's a mutual exclusion between "intellectual" enjoyment and "real" enjoyment is what I take issue with, especially when the idea that one of these is not "real" or "true" enjoyment feels like an attempt to invalidate it. Corvo insists that's not what he meant, it's just how I interpreted it.

Well I mean the flow of the conversation was that Corvo hated everything about Hyouka, Brandy put forth that he didn't like KLK as a parallel, Corvo said KLK isn't regarded as some sort of high art, that statement was countered by saying it went #2 in the AOTY voting, which is what prompted Corvo's post. I think given the context it was clear he was making a distinction between why KLK was voted #2 and why Hyouka was voted #1 and pointing out that looking at AOTY voting doesn't make what he said any less true (from his eyes anyway).

zeroshiki

No.

You know what? Fuck this condiment.

Melodrama over a fucking shitty sandwich I never bothered to eat. Holy shit if I wanted lame ass, corn syrupy, slimy, tomato-slathered condiments on my fucking burger I'd come into this kitchen and eat my own cooking.

Fuck ketchup. There has been no flavor development of any sort in 12 burgers now, and the addition of bullshit melodrama over fucking home cooking is, God I can't even think of a word strong enough to express my discontent with this sour, disgusting, absurd, horrible, over rated piece of shit of a condiment.

Fuck Heinz. Fuck them for dropping things like Cocktail Sauce to make SHIT like THIS.

and last of all, FUCK ME for not listening and thinking this condiment would ever improve. God I haven't wasted my time on a horrible condiment like this since at LEAST EZ Squirt.

Holy shit what a waste of my time this entire, awful, miserable piece of filth has been. Tomatoes are deplorable, squeeze bottles are right there near the top of my list of most awful containers in my refrigerator ever, HJ Heinz can go fuck himself with his bullshit Jalapeno vs. Balsamic Vinaigrette nonsense and Red Gold can flavor what it wants to with a sauce that doesn't suck as much as this.

FUCK.

I enjoyed this. Great work.

Kuroko no Basket 2 17

This match is dragging like the first season's match which was going on about the same amount of episodes in, zzzzzzzzz

madp

The Light of El Cantare

"Intellectual enjoyment" is just being used as a convenient catch-all term for enjoying something for technical aspects considered important in other forms of media critique like writing, direction, art design, etc. Basically, anything that stimulates the critical faculties. No one is labeling specific anime as "intellectual" or trying to start a "this anime is smart vs. this anime is stupid" argument for anything.

There isn't?

Well, there seems to be a lot of anime that fans consider to be intellectual.
It seems like some of the most "intellectual" anime, are much less intellectual than most fans give them credit for, though.

Any examples?

cajunator

Banned

My favorite two animes are intellectual in nature. They certainly exist. However this sort of anime is usually pretentious and full of shit.

jman2050

People will wring out intellectual interpretations out of any anime really. Hell look at some of the crazy things people come up with 'interpreting' KLK on some corners of the internet.

Midonin

I enjoy a lot of things on both levels simultaneously. I like Gatchaman Crowds because it's an exploration of the unifying effect of social media and the equalizing of the masses, and the question of how superheroes fit into that mold when it's gotten much easier to talk to each other, as expressed through the show's unconventional art style.

It also has Maaya Uchida being totally cute and playing a hyper, busty heroine, which is just as important!

Lurky

"Intellectual enjoyment" is just being used as a convenient catch-all term for enjoying something for technical aspects considered important in other forms of media critique like writing, direction, art design, etc. Basically, anything that stimulates the critical faculties. No one is labeling specific anime as "intellectual" or trying to start a "this anime is smart vs. this anime is stupid" argument for anything.

Oh okay that makes more sense.

Anyway, anime that try to seem "intellectual" usually come off as pretentious to me.

zeroshiki

People will wring out intellectual interpretations out of any anime really. Hell look at some of the crazy things people come up with 'interpreting' KLK on some corners of the internet.

The thing is that, "intellectual" translates to "full of itself" in the minds of alot of people with regards to a medium as immature as anime. For the most part they're right. Alot of anime that bill itself as intellectual is anything but and is nothing but a vessel for the author/director's intellectual masturbation.

Noragami 5

The girl is starting to stress me out and this would be a much better anime without her. Yukine seems to have a lot of potential as a Regalia but because he's tsundere the anime will result in Yato remaining relatively weak until the end. Next episode looks interesting with more of a central plot again. I wouldn't mind if what's her face disappeared from the show

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato's AOTY victory makes it yet another winner that just happens to be completely unavailable for legal streaming.

I'm glad you're all such dilligent importers!

Gazoinks

Clannad: The After Storying 01

Akio is still the best, nothing else matters.

Oh actually this matters: Since finishing Clannad I've started Gintama and now I can't unhear Shinpachi in Sunohara.

Okay but really this was a pretty good episode. Felt like one of the less dull S1 episodes.

I was waiting for dat AnimeGAF Psycho-Pass hate.

Clannad: The After Storying 01

Akio is still the best, nothing else matters.

Oh actually this matters: Since finishing Clannad I've started Gintama and now I can't unhear Shinpachi in Sunohara.

Okay but really this was a pretty good episode. Felt like one of the less dull S1 episodes.

Imagine having to watch both seasons with Shinpachi. Or watching Samurai Flamenco with Gintoki.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Battleship Yamato's AOTY victory makes it yet another winner that just happens to be completely unavailable for legal streaming.

I'm glad you're all such dilligent importers!
Shiori is still negotiating with Japan-san and Rightstuf-chan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom