• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

I only like it because of the music stuff and that they convey it through the sound design pretty well.

Like that kid totally messing up his piece by rushing in that one episode. You could actually hear him mess up if you know how to listen for it.

Is there a particular reason why?

It's the horribly written melodrama that you're browbeaten with over and over via clumsy monologues. And there's the awful physical comedy where the MC is beaten bloody all the time. These things have made me actively hate most of the characters in the show. especially Miss Shiny Shiny. It's a shame because I was pretty excited for this show before it aired.

Narag

Maria the Virgin Witch 1

SSso4Eel.jpg
zfaGzDul.jpg

UuV1hBJl.jpg
OIbsD21l.jpg
Huh, the Bernard Cornwell anime I never knew I wanted.

I was enjoying what I saw of the show (although I think it's been a month since I watched a new episode), but no way can it sniff Anime of the Year when Shirobako exists. Never mind some other strong shows like Ping Pong, Reconguista in G and Space Dandy.

Yuri Kuma Arashi 2
This is poorly plotted, poorly paced, and has paper-thin characterization. I'm sure there are interesting things to think about with the symbolism, but the show has failed to make me care enough to make the attempt. If this wasn't from Ikuhara, I'd probably stop watching at this point.

I was enjoying what I saw of the show (although I think it's been a month since I watched a new episode), but no way can it sniff Anime of the Year when Shirobako exists. Never mind some other strong shows like Ping Pong, Reconguista in G and Space Dandy.
You had me until G-Reco.

CDiggity

Seems like a lot of shows this season had good first episodes. Which ones, if any, are the most likely to shit the bed after such a great start?

Steins;Gate 9

You know shit's getting real when
Faris rewrites an entire city so that Moe culture doesn't exist within it.
The shows' doing a good job at escalating the changes in the continuing use of the D-Mail.

Syrinx

Ping Pong 5

Sakuma and Peco are looking at the end of their Ping Pong careers. Odd that they're on such opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of philosophy; Sakuma got to where he did through incredibly hard work while Peco scoffs at hard work in favor of talent. And getting clowned by somebody on the other side of that spectrum (Sakuma himself in the case of Peco) is where they hit rock bottom.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 07

Whatever. Bit of a throwaway episode.

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - 08

The bombs have been dropped. This much explains why they rushed through a lot of the initial battles to get to this point and why they allowed everyone to
go Mankai as easily as they did.
Still though, even if the show's been foreshadowing something related to this particular revelation I'm surprised at how brutal it's actual incarnation ended up being. If anything the whole
inability to die angle is a bit of a curse given what they're expected to live with for ... eternity. Makes you wonder what other potential things the Taisha organization have altered / omitted / lied about, given that we probably won't get any sort of angle on why the random monsters keep attacking I suppose we'll never hear about their side of the story.

Sabagebu 02

Mokarin is ruthless. This is another show where characters engage in combat with all of the effects being imaginary. Funny to see that with guns where most other shows that employ this tend to use magic weaponry and spells.

Yona in the Dawn 10-12

This show really reminds me of Inu Yasha. At least in terms of Yona and Hak's relationship, although Hak is a lot more mellow than Inu Yasha. Gija is an entertaining addition to the group. He's more green than I expected but it makes sense considering that he's lived a sheltered life up until this point. I enjoy his antics with Hak, and my guess is that the next addition to the group is going to be a lot more amiable with Hak compared to Gija.

I need to check out this Yatterman show that people keep talking about.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Is it normal for an anime adaption of a manga to have so many frequent direct visual adaptions of the panels like the Hunter x Hunter one does? Maybe I'm only noticing because I know the manga back and forth like the back of my hand.

Is it normal for an anime adaption of a manga to have so many frequent direct visual adaptions of the panels like the Hunter x Hunter one does? Maybe I'm only noticing because I know the manga back and forth like the back of my hand.

It's not abnormal, but HxH 2011 does it a lot. Another one that does it is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Yes. Frequency will of course be a case by case thing, but plenty of series have scenes that are essentially frame for frame, even with stuff that only follows the source loosely.

Animegaf, does Crunchyroll suck? It seems completely random whether an episode is going to stream right or not. I've had streaming problems with them in the past, and haven't used them in about a year. I just renewed my account yesterday and my weekend starts tonight, I'm trying to watch Parasyte and it seems completely random whether and episode is going to stream smoothly or not. Sometimes changing the resolution helps, sometimes changing the browser helps, sometimes refreshing a bunch helps, but a lot of the time it will seem to be streaming smoothly for a couple minutes and then just suddenly stop for minutes to buffer, or it will buffer at a slower speed than the video plays (lots of starts and stops).

Is there any secret to using Crunchyroll I don't know about? I've got 20mbps down and can stream Netflix HD and Hulu fine, but I'd like to use Crunchyroll because I want to watch anime without commercials.

Also, how is Funimation's streaming? I tried to use it once, but I couldn't even get the video player to load after trying chrome/firefox/IE and refreshing a bunch of times. I know that they did a huge site revamp that they worked on for like 3 years though, so is their streaming any better? Is it worth a subscription if I have Hulu Plus and Crunchyroll?

Animegaf, does Crunchyroll suck? It seems completely random whether an episode is going to stream right or not. I've had streaming problem with them in the past, and haven't used them in about a year. I just renewed my account yesterday and my weekend starts tonight, I'm trying to watch Parasyte and it seems completely random whether and episode is going to stream smoothly or not. Sometimes changing the resolution helps, sometimes changing the browser helps, sometimes refreshing a bunch helps, but a lot of the time it will seem to be streaming smoothly for a couple minutes and then just suddenly stop for minutes to buffer, or it will buffer at a slower speed than the video plays (lots of starts and stops).

Is there any secret to using Crunchyroll I don't know about? I've got 20mbps down and can stream Netflix HD and Hulu fine, but I'd like to use Crunchyroll because I want to watch anime without commercials.

Also, how is Funimation's streaming? I tried to use it once, but I couldn't even get the video player to load after trying chrome/firefox/IE and refreshing a bunch of times. I know that they did a huge site revamp that they worked on for like 3 years though, so is their streaming any better? Is it worth a subscription if I have Hulu Plus and Crunchyroll?

It's not perfect by any means but Funimation is complete garbage in comparison.

This happens quite often. In fact a lot of anime tend to make sure they highlight particular panels from the manga they're adapted from.

Quasar

Animegaf, does Crunchyroll suck? It seems completely random whether an episode is going to stream right or not. I've had streaming problems with them in the past, and haven't used them in about a year. I just renewed my account yesterday and my weekend starts tonight, I'm trying to watch Parasyte and it seems completely random whether and episode is going to stream smoothly or not. Sometimes changing the resolution helps, sometimes changing the browser helps, sometimes refreshing a bunch helps, but a lot of the time it will seem to be streaming smoothly for a couple minutes and then just suddenly stop for minutes to buffer, or it will buffer at a slower speed than the video plays (lots of starts and stops).

I have no idea. I have a crappier internet connection than you and CR has almost always worked perfectly for me. And I say almost because really the only time I had problems was with the DDoS attack.

Syrinx

Ping Pong 6

Wow. Christmas scene was incredible. I was a bit worried about how this show was approaching the idea of "talent", and how it seemed to be saying that it doesn't matter how hard you try; if you don't have the talent, it doesn't matter. But this episode kinda wiped all that away. Seeing Wenge so engaged with his new team and having his mother around, he was so happy singing at that karaoke place, as if he's found something like what he's been searching for. And as that scene goes, Smile, Kazuma, Peco, etc. are seen alone and aimless, showing everything they've given up for the sake of Ping Pong. Friends, family, they're alone because they pushed it all away.

I enjoyed seeing Sakuma being somewhat liberated by being beaten by Smile and kicked off Kaio's team. And Peco, after hitting rock bottom as he went nuts jumping into the river off a bridge, seems to have renewed his passion for ping pong beyond simply never losing ever.

You had me until G-Reco.

You're saying that because Tomino's masterpiece shouldn't be lowered down to the playing field of the mortals?

Crunchryoll goes on and off sometimes. At high volume times videos can be almost unplayable, but at other times I can get through whole episodes at 1080p without a problem. The start of a new season can often times be a rough place for them, although they've gotten better recently in general. I used to have a lot more problems with them.

Funimation's service is complete shit.

ibyea

Banned
Is there a particular reason why?

For me, the slapstick humor was in most situations inappropriate and not funny, the show makes the girls look like a bunch of assholes dragging someone who clearly has anxiety disorder into something he doesn't want to do by force, considering the way they treated him I did not believe at all that he would accept the girl's help, and so far it ended with "the mother loved him in the end" bullshit after all the physical and mental abuse. That said, the national contest episodes were amazing, it had great use of visual metaphor, the level of detail in the music and playing scenes is amazing, the color palette just pops out, and the story of him trying to overcome the anxiety and trauma is interesting.

It's not perfect by any means but Funimation is complete garbage in comparison.

I have no idea. I have a crappier internet connection than you and CR has almost always worked perfectly for me. And I say almost because really the only time I had problems was with the DDoS attack.

Crunchryoll goes on and off sometimes. At high volume times videos can be almost unplayable, but at other times I can get through whole episodes at 1080p without a problem. The start of a new season can often times be a rough place for them, although they've gotten better recently in general. I used to have a lot more problems with them.

Funimation's service is complete shit.

Thanks, I'll stick with it for now and try contacting their customer service if I keep having problems.

Beefeater

Banned
In Buddhism, reaching nirvana takes generations upon generations of reincarnation, and is incredibly difficult. That reading also goes against the mask symbolism above the respective elevators.

Moreover, someone's soul being sent to the void/nothing (虚無, a fragment used in the construction of the Japanese word for nihilism, 虚無主義) seems contradictory to the idea of nirvana, which is really one's soul unifying with the whole universe. It's a lot more like the Quincy in Bleach who destroy the souls of the demons they defeat.

It's probably best to wait until the second episode explains more about what the afterlife is all about.

I dunno man, I think you're ascribing too much personal meaning to the word "void/nothingness". There are many branches of Buddhism, but I think I've nailed the essential meaning in this context. The masks are not "angel/demon" masks, they are Noh masks associated with japanese theatrics and they don't hold a "good/evil" meaning to them.

Death Parade - 01

How can a show with such a stellar OP be so twisted?! This episode had me going back in forth between rooting for the husband and wife, only to find out that
the wife is actually a cheating, gold digging, piece of shit. Hope you have better luck in the next life Takashi, Machicko you can rot in hell for all I care.
Here we go again…

Hey, so after looking up some of KyoAni's past works I've read that they've made this anime-original show called Munto.

Is it any good? I thought it looked kind of interesting. And given that KyoAni is often a subject talked about a lot around here, I'm surprised that this show very rarely even gets mentioned.

It's wierd.

I bought both munto movies as an impulse buy like a decade ago after watching some random amv based on it and thinking it looked interesting.

I watched the first one and have still to this day not touched the second, probably says enough about how I felt about it.

Buuuut it had some pretty moments iirc, and there was a guy with a cool tattoo.

Dunno shit about the show/OVA's tho.

Getting back to this question I asked...

The worst work they've ever done.

So bad that I forget it exists most of the time.

Really? I mean, when I hear people talk about bad KyoAni stuff, I hear people mention things like Chuu2, Beyond the Boundary, etc. This one often gets overlooked by people and is rarely mentioned in these kinds of discussions.

Was was so bad about it?

It's wierd.

I bought both munto movies as an impulse buy like a decade ago after watching some random amv based on it and thinking it looked interesting.

I watched the first one and have still to this day not touched the second, probably says enough about how I felt about it.

Buuuut it had some pretty moments iirc, and there was a guy with a cool tattoo.

Dunno shit about the show/OVA's tho.

Was it just a bland, forgettable show and that's it? Judging from this that's what I'm thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom