• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, really? I always just assumed they were the series repackaged.

Maybe I should watch those instead of rewatching the series like I sort of want to do.

The second movie is worth watching for the revamped final battle alone. The animation quality and music during that part were insane.

Quasar

I might have a bunch of Nyanko-sensei memorabilia... >_______>

Natsume's Book of Friends is the only show I've found has a comparable relaxed and easy atmosphere like Mushishi. Great great show.

Probably. Though I think there might be other yokai related shows that are also in that vein. Though none really are episode like those two.

Natsume is my favourite though. That and the movie by the same writer which seems like a trial run. Into the Forest of Fireflies' Light.

Moaradin

Oh wow, really? I always just assumed they were the series repackaged.

Maybe I should watch those instead of rewatching the series like I sort of want to do.

The first movie was mostly that. I wouldn't recommend it over the series since it skims over pretty much most of the character development and doesn't offer much new stuff. The second movie is pretty awesome though. It changes and adds a lot of things to the second arc of the series (all for the better I thought) and they extended the already insane final battle, and somehow managed to top it.

Why is it unfinished?

Production problems.

It's Studio Feel, isn't it? The first few episodes of almost everything they do seems rushed for whatever reason. One of my classmates was telling me it had something to do with their storyboarding/writing process, but I'm not sure where he got that idea from.

This is the first time they've had two shows in one season, isn't it? Not that it should matter much, but it is interesting. Oregairu must have done good things for them.

Mailbox

I don't think i'll ever understand anyone who drops something after the first episode.
I've seen a fair share of series where the first episode was lackluster but eventually become good in a later episode.

Anywho:

Myriad Colors Phantom World 1

Pretty sure that's not how boobs work. This show gives me a beyond the boundary feeling (probably the concept).
That said, after this episode was done, I was waiting for the credits to end so that the next episode could start, until realizing that there was only 1 episode. Basically what i'm getting at is this show feels like a show i'd binge and not feel bad about it so far. We'll see how it goes though.

Erased 1
YEP, i'm in.
I'll agree that the MC VA is a welcome thing, but I could definitely tell he wasn't accustomed to voice work (parts of his delivery were stiff). He isn't bad though, and I expect him to get better as the season goes on.
Episode is engaging, that's for sure. I understand why some people thought it was too quick, though. The first half goes at a brisk pace, but evens itself out by the end; I wouldn't complain about it though.

I'm glad that something I hyped without knowing anything about finally turned out good :3

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I don't think i'll ever understand anyone who drops something after the first episode.
I've seen a fair share of series where the first episode was lackluster but eventually become good in a later episode.

Time is a commodity and there are a shit ton of anime that comes out every season, those that fail to make an impression right away tend to get cast by the wayside.

I was curious enough to go to MAL to see the reception of Erased anime.

Well color me surprised they really like it and it's the highest rated of all the seasonal anime. Hopefully it stays consistently good.

Now I'm just waiting for Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu to air as well as Dimension W.

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 1

JKquwfA.jpg

I love the rich atmosphere this creates - somewhat mysterious, somewhat wild, and a boy who's at home in it all. There's a reflectiveness to everything that I really appreciate.

Plus a good deal of character richness as well. How many shounen manga adaptations spend the bulk of their first episode on the pain of a (foster) mother losing her child?

Just T

I usually don't drop shows but when I do it's after the third or fourth episode for the most part. There's only been a few times where I stopped after the first ep or in the middle because I thought it was that bad. But I get why people do, like Shard said some people don't have the time. Nor willing to waste it on something they're really not feeling.

But I also agree there have been a lot of series that turned out really good in the long run. I can take an anime that starts of a little meh, it's the bad endings that bother me a lot.

wonzo

Banned
it's perfectly fine to stop watching something if the first episode sucks. you could spend that time you'd waste watching a bad show with something good instead like treme

Cornbread78

:3

I understand what your saying, but watch the whole first episode of this and see if it changes your mind:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/8861/Yosuga_no_Sora:_In_Solitude_Where_We_Are_Least_Alone.

My soul died a little at those last 30 seconds.

Need to check out Erased first ep next.

You're in for a treat. Post reactions in the OT also, lol.

You would really waste 3+ hours on a bad anime just to see if it ever improves from rock bottom. I was glad to never come back to Lance N'masques and Ikkitousen: Xtreme Xecutor. There was no way for Ikkitousen to ever improve, sorry.

JCG

There are people in this world "dropping" Phantom World after the first episode, but singing praises for Active Raid.

Does it count if I'm not going to be picking up Phantom World in the first place? The concept isn't appealing to me and I don't worship at the altar of KyoAni.

I could always be convinced to watch it, but not right out of the gate. Just like how there's people who are "dropping" Active Raid who may be persuaded to pick it up if something fun/crazy/good happens later.

Taruranto

Hunter X Hunter (1999) 1

I love the rich atmosphere this creates - somewhat mysterious, somewhat wild, and a boy who's at home in it all. There's a reflectiveness to everything that I really appreciate.

Plus a good deal of character richness as well. How many shounen manga adaptations spend the bulk of their first episode on the pain of a (foster) mother losing her child?

But why are you watching the inferior version?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rolling Girls was actually good starting out and then it went downhill.

Puruzi

Banned
Fucking Rolling Girls.

I thought it was alright all the way through, but if it stayed like the first 2 episodes oh my god it would've been amazing

damn.

it's perfectly fine to stop watching something if the first episode sucks. you could spend that time you'd waste watching a bad show with something good instead like treme

I agree with this, which sucks when I recommend shows to and have to say "but it gets better after episode __", but don't feel right dissuading them from dropping it if they really hated the start.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 29

This new arc of the seven stars is pretty good, and they even started with Red Eyes Black Dragon.

The meeting for who would carry the keys was hilarious because of the banter, Juudai thinking hes the best, Manjoume bickering with him, Chronos buttering up Ryo, then Manjoume at least indicating Juudai's potential for beating Chronos, it was so good.

Can't wait for more of the duels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom