• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

Erased 01

I actually managed to enjoy this despite not liking the MC most of the time.
I doubt they'll stick with him in the past for long since they bothered introducing the high school girl to a certain extent, but it was a nice twist that it came this early (usually with time manipulation you can assume they'll extrapolate eventually, I just wasn't expecting it this soon)

Assassination Classroom S2 01

Glad it's back. This was just an introduction episode, showing off a little bit of everyone in this huge cast of characters, and it worked well. Some good comedy stuff along the way, and a bit of plot progression as well. Like Nisekoi, apparently the first season skipped a couple of things/whole chapters to trim the season, and because of that I never really bothered checking the manga afterwards (like I did with Soma and probably will with Haikyu, when S2 ends), so I'm still in the dark here. I hope this season has a strong final arc like the first one. Since the manga still hasn't ended, that's the best I can wish now.

The OP is nice, it had a Danganronpa feeling to it, and I like that they kept the whole cast in there, even if it's still impossible to read every name before it switches. I miss the stupid dance though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I suppose that's true for something that's been around as long as Monogatari.

Still dumb to me, though.

Is this dumb?
Ico_cover_-_EU%2BJP.jpg

This?

What about this? Ichijou/Hayase is actually canon but this depicts Ichijou/Minmey.

Kung Fu Dinosaurs!

What is this movie even about? I can't tell! Maybe it's about Joaquin's bad facial hair?

2 hours of people punching buildings!

Hell, you even like Medaka Box mainly because of the genre bait and switch. Why do you think everything should be literal???

Monogatari is one of the most popular anime franchises of this decade so people know what they're going to see. The poster is appropriate for what happens in Kizumonogatari.

Does it represent a single scene that accounts for a few minutes of the show while the rest is Shinobu (I assume that's her) talking to Ararararagi and doing nothing badass like what that image depicts?

Edit: Oh, it's a movie? Alright then, that makes it more understandable.

That is not KUNG FU

They lack the honor

The discipline

It should be called "Street brawling dinosaurs"

Like I'm NOT going to watch this show after that gif lol

Is this dumb?

That's a fair representation of the game. Exploring while guiding a girl.

Minimalism. It's not saying "this is about something" when it's actually about something else, but rather not giving enough information to make any kind of assessment. That has value too.

What about this? Ichijou/Hayase is actually canon but this depicts Ichijou/Minmey.

If true, then yes, I think that's dumb. It's like Marle using fire magic on the cover of Chrono Trigger.

2 hours of people punching buildings!

Minimalism again. It's not a super detailed piece of artwork depicting a completely different tone from the rest of the product like that poster.

Hell, you even like Medaka Box mainly because of the genre bait and switch. Why do you think everything should be literal???

I don't think everything should be literal. I think a piece of promotional material should at least somewhat represent what the product is about unless it's an intentional bait and switch.

Haly

Gifs are from You Are Umasou, a movie about family, fatherhood, and kung fu.

Haly

That's a fair representation of the game. Exploring while guiding a girl.
I don't see a girl. I see stick figures.

Minimalism. It's not saying "this is about something" when it's actually about something else, but rather not giving enough information to make any kind of assessment. That has value too.
First off, no one seeing that cover will even imagine that Animal Farm is a criticism of communism. If this was placed in the children's book section or at the front of the store in B&N, parents might buy it for their kids.

Second, if minimalism is acceptable why not the opposite?

If true, then yes, I think that's dumb. It's like Marle using fire magic on the cover of Chrono Trigger.
And yet Chrono Trigger still remains an iconic game! You're nitpicking unnecessary things for inconsequential reasons.

Minimalism again. It's not a super detailed piece of artwork depicting a completely different tone from the rest of the product like that poster.

See above. If minimalism is acceptable so is the opposite. Second, the sigil, lighting, and coloring all indicate a very somber mood, whereas Man of Steel is pretty much pure action.

I don't think everything should be literal. I think a piece of promotional material should at least somewhat represent what the product is about unless it's an intentional bait and switch.
I'm pretty sure that's an actual scene from the movie and from the book, much like how Cooper did go to Ice Planet, but Interstellar is not a movie about astronauts exploring Ice Planet...
But The Martian is about Damon fucking around on Mars...

duckroll

Last night while waiting for Erased to be released, I tried to get in one more episode of FEEL ROCK EMOTION but instead halfway through I literally FEEL ASLEEP instead. Lol.

Not animation wise because they suck.

Koufuku Graffiti may be overall the most polished and attractive Shaft production yet.

And as far as sakuga goes, Kizumonogatari should have quite a bit of it. The Yoshinari brothers (Yoh - LWA director, Kou - known for 2D animation that looks CG) have just been confirmed to have done work on it!

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.1-2
Alright, I'm going headfirst into these backlog series. I'very heard good things about this one, so hopefully it lives up to it. The first two episodes introduced me to the MC and heroine in a pretty interesting way that included natural relationship development and background character info. Well for two-faced chick at least. It's looking good for these two crazy kids, so let's see how this goes.

The action in Madoka is legit.

I don't see a girl. I see stick figures.

I see low-detail people with artwork that implies an atmospheric tone. Nothing contradictory there imo.

First off, no one seeing that cover will even imagine that Animal Farm is a criticism of communism. If this was placed in the children's book section or at the front of the store in B&N, parents might buy it for their kids.

If I knew nothing about Animal Farm, that cover wouldn't imply anything to me. I'd think, okay a pig is probably a metaphor for something, but what? Which would then lead me to a synopsis or something. It's valid, though I'm not a huge fan of that either.

Second, if minimalism is acceptable why not the opposite?

Because why put in all that work to misrepresent a product unless that's the intent? If, say, there was a highly detailed and stylized poster implying a tonally dark adventure for some comedy parody action movie, that's funny and the people seeing it are "in on the joke".

Is that the intent here? Depict a really badass moment that is tonally and visually different from 99% of the product because Monogatari fans are "in on it"? If so, that's understandable.

And yet Chrono Trigger still remains an iconic game! You're nitpicking unnecessary things for inconsequential reasons.

Yeah, that's nitpicking, but falsely depicting a scene isn't my point here. It's misrepresenting the tone and just what the product is about. A better example would be the Phalanx boxart.

See above. If minimalism is acceptable so is the opposite. Second, the sigil, lighting, and coloring all indicate a very somber mood, whereas Man of Steel is pretty much pure action.

I don't know, I thought a good chunk of the origin story part was meant to be somber. Snyder was just shit at doing it. It definitely wasn't pure action because it took too goddamn long to get to any extended action scenes.

I'm pretty sure that's an actual scene from the movie and from the book, much like how Cooper did go to Ice Planet, but Interstellar is not a movie about astronauts exploring Ice Planet...

The image is broken, but if it's the poster I'm thinking of, it still depicts a guy in a spacesuit and gives off a very desolate feeling in line with the rest of Interstellar. It's not depicting a fun space opera with friendly aliens and tie fighters.

Hell, the cover of my third novel depicts a room that not even a full chapter takes place in, but I say it still sets the tone.

Clov

Kare Kano ep.1-2
Alright, I'm going headfirst into these backlog series. I'very heard good things about this one, so hopefully it lives up to it. The first two episodes introduced me to the MC and heroine in a pretty interesting way that included natural relationship development and background character info. Well for two-faced chick at least. It's looking good for these two crazy kids, so let's see how this goes.

I watched this last summer. Really enjoyed it! It was neat seeing something that felt so much like NGE-era Anno, but in a very different genre.

The Big O 17

Not sure I really understand what is going anymore. Schwarzvald died, but also has some prophecy which is the Book of Revelations, and the Megadeus and Bigs have something to do with that...or something. I'm pretty lost.

Cornbread78

The Comic Artist and Assistants ep.3
This guy has issues, but funny ones. I'm glad everyone is an adult here, but that loli girl with long green hair was funny prey for him, lol.

Taruranto

Somebody hasn't seen Madoka Magica.

I did.

Did you watch Princess Tutu, the Magical Girls show that is better than meduka meguca?

The Big O 17

Not sure I really understand what is going anymore. Schwarzvald died, but also has some prophecy which is the Book of Revelations, and the Megadeus and Bigs have something to do with that...or something. I'm pretty lost.
This will be fun.

TOMATOES

Haly

One of the better Parallel Works to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom