• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

I have not seen Utena but I watched and loved Penguindrum. I wasn't keen on Utena before watching but now I am (maybe after Ojamajo).

Yamishibi Season 4 1-4

So glad this is back. Little sad that the old voice actor for the previous seasons isn't voicing these. The old voice was creepier.

If you don't own at least one Utena figure and quote that one line from the movie at least once a week, are you really a person in any real sense of the word?

Thud

But Utena is weird looking.

image.php

Jex

I was wrong earlier in my initial impressions. It doesn't look like a show from the mid 2000s but rather something from the cel era. Not a good show mind you from the pre-digital time period but a crappy one where you can tell background and character animation are on physically different levels. The character animation looks like it's on a separate layer from the backgrounds and they don't mesh well at all.

I personally don't mind being able to see the line art of character most of the time, but the way they do nothing to stop it from clashing with the backgrounds (and occasionally foregrounds) is the real issue.

I think it's clear that someone in charge of creating the anime made a very poor choice by deciding to go with these impossibly complicated character designs. Not only do we have the issue of composition but we also have the aforementioned issue of consistency where sometimes the character designs are simplified (or blurred) to try and allow for some kind of movement. The result is always awkward, stiff animation.

I can see why they've been having production issues if they want to try and proceed with what I can only imagine is a very labour intensive production that ends up producing a show that doesn't even look particularly good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Gabriel Dropout 03
I'm already bored. Raphiel is just a total drag and completely predictable. Gab at work was not interesting at all either. The very last sketch was the only okay thing...

jonjonaug

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

When does this git gud? Or is that not a thing that ends up happening.
Around where it passes the point that the first anime split from the manga. Early Brotherhood has rushed pacing because it's covering material that was already adapted.

phaze

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

When does this git gud? Or is that not a thing that ends up happening.

Where are you ? First ~10 episodes are a very rushed covering of the manga material that the first series already did beforehand. It suffers a lot as a result.

Danganronpa 2.5: Komaeda Nagito OVA

xcuQ9bX.jpg

Woah what?? Danganronpa Zero exists???

I dunno, its fine. It just brings back bad memories of how shitty DR3 is. More stuff thats better left inside your head. Since when were Fuyuhiko and Souda such bros?

Did Gundham even have a single line this entire OVA?

jett

D-Member
Around where it passes the point that the first anime split from the manga. Early Brotherhood has rushed pacing because it's covering material that was already adapted.

Where are you ? First ~10 episodes are a very rushed covering of the manga material that the first series already did beforehand. It suffers a lot as a result.

Huh okay. Yeah it's early days for me, episode 7. It seems like standard shonen stuff so far. Watching it cuz I fell like watching some anime and cuz it was highly recommended by the EasyAllies crew hah.

phaze

Huh okay. Yeah it's early days for me, episode 7. It seems like standard shonen stuff so far. Watching it cuz I fell like watching some anime and cuz it was highly recommended by the EasyAllies crew hah.

I mean, it is a standard shounen stuff so to speak. Just a good one. (In most respects)

Jex

FMA: Brotherhood is decent, as far as shounen goes, but I think it really suffers from having a very weak opening and an overly turgid finale.

It's not something I'd actively recommend people seek out when stuff like Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's exists in English. Still, it's not like you'll have a "bad time" watching it.

jett

D-Member
Well I already watched (and enjoyed) HxH and JoJo, I guess I don't have anything better to watch for now. Not sure if I will carry on with this one though.

SOLDIER

Anyone here happen to own the 2016 E series of LG OLED 4K TVs?

I've been wondering what the best preset settings are for anime. Standard, Cinematic....Game Mode?

Just wanted to know what has generally turned out to be the best settings for anime and animation in general.

FMA: Brotherhood is decent, as far as shounen goes, but I think it really suffers from having a very weak opening and an overly turgid finale.

It's not something I'd actively recommend people seek out when stuff like Hunter x Hunter and JoJo's exists in English. Still, it's not like you'll have a "bad time" watching it.

It doesn't really. It's the original FMA that's the really great one.

I agree with these posts. FMA Brotherhood is OK, and has consistently solid production values which is a plus, but it's not particularly special and really does suffer from clumsy pacing and average direction. I always say, Yasuhiro Irie's best TV series is Code:Breaker.

phaze

Well I already watched (and enjoyed) HxH and JoJo, I guess I don't have anything better to watch for now. Not sure if I will carry on with this one though.

FMA generally gets good reception from more "casual" watchers, if you liked HxH and Jojo you should have a good shot at warming up to it. Animation wise it blows those two to smithereens if you care about that sort of thing.

Jarmel

Banned

Early Brotherhood isn't good, you should at least wait until you're out of the recap episode sections.

Syrinx

Bungou Stray Dogs 3-4

I'm going to go on thinking these two episodes were just one long setup to the end of episode 4. The kid just tossing the dead bodies out the window was the highlight off the show so far.

jett

D-Member
BTW, is there anything else like Planetes or Space Brothers out there?

FMA generally gets good reception from more "casual" watchers, if you liked HxH and Jojo you should have a good shot at warming up to it. Animation wise it blows those two to smithereens if you care about that sort of thing.

Huh that's funny because so far it sure doesn't seem that way. :p The backgrounds especially look cheap and poorly made.

Early Brotherhood isn't good, you should at least wait until you're out of the recap episode sections.

Guess I'll hold on to it.

BTW, is there anything else like Planetes or Space Brothers out there?

By anything else, do you mean outer space themed anime featuring adult protagonists? There's Moonlight Mile, but I haven't heard good things regarding that.

Huh that's funny because so far it sure doesn't seem that way. :p The backgrounds especially look cheap and poorly made.

Jarmel is referring strictly to the animation there, so the backgrounds don't matter. It is true that when compared with Hunter X Hunter (either anime version) or Jojo TV, that FMA Brotherhood has flashier action animation overall.

Jarmel

Banned
It's also worth pointing out that I'm watching the 2011 version of Hunter and the art direction isn't exactly worth writing home about either.

and before someone brings this up, I don't like the franchise enough to watch the 99 version too

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Little Witch Academia TV Episode 3:

Is it wrong that I find Diana to be a more interesting character than Akko?

Jex

It's also worth pointing out that I'm watching the 2011 version of Hunter and the art direction isn't exactly worth writing home about either.

and before someone brings this up, I don't like the franchise enough to watch the 99 version too

You're a bad person, Jarmel! Not I expect people to watch the whole thing twice (although I did) but you should really have started with '99 because it's so much better.

If anyone doubts what I'm saying, let me turn your attention to this excellent article https://twolongfourtwitlonger.wordpress.com/2014/12/21/hxh-99-hxh-2011-btw/

Read this and tell me that you shouldn't be watching '99.

Huh, didn't realise this was a Tamerlane article, lol

Moaradin

The early parts of HxH '99 are better, but overall HxH 2011 is much better.

And the show looks great for something that ran for 148 episodes straight.

Eumi

This show is great. It's something I needed these days, not some kind of belly laugh, but just a small smile for 24 mins.

A good introduction to the second batch of kids. Hopefully this series will be able to explore them a bit more.

Surprised to see Akko light the fuse with her wand though. Was that her first spell (that we saw)? It's odd that the show hasn't focused at all on the actual learning magic aspect.
I mean, she didn't even learn to fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom