• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
CR has been spotty the last few days.

msah1s9.png

Funimation has been even worse. Plain could not get it to play anything last night, nor the day the new front end went up.

duckroll

REMINDER: Instead of wasting time watching and posting detailed critique on BAD shows which are CASH IN productions made to promote FRANCHISES spawned from SMARTPHONE GAMES, a better use of one's time would be to sit down and watch an AWARD WNNING film by ACCLAIMED filmmaker DENIS VILLENEUVE, like for example, INCENDIES.

TUSR

Banned
Is the Anime Network worthwhile to sub to? I know a good chunk of their shows are also on Crunchy but I need mah dubs.

If they provide content that you want to watch, its more or less up to you if you can justify their limited library for the sub fee.

Narag

REMINDER: Instead of wasting time watching and posting detailed critique on BAD shows which are CASH IN productions made to promote FRANCHISES spawned from SMARTPHONE GAMES, a better use of one's time would be to sit down and watch an AWARD WNNING film by ACCLAIMED filmmaker DENIS VILLENEUVE, like for example, INCENDIES.

Can't I just watch Sword of the Stranger again?

Jarmel

Banned

and here I was going to write a detailed Divine Flame review too

What do we do if we already saw it?

I thought you were all about the gacha.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 17

I'm going to go full on pretentious aniblogger and reconcile the strange tonal shifts of the show as a reflection of Dazai's own internal struggle since he's caught between two worlds. Harumph.

Post about it so duckroll has someone to talk to about it.
Ok hummm it's been like 6 years but, what did you think about the
mother getting fucked by her on kid? When I realized that's what happen, I remember being quite shocked. And how she was forced to abandon her kid.( I don't remember why tho, a culture thing right? The parents not accepting the father? They were some very traumatizing scenes if I remember well, like that poor little kid.

It was a pretty impactful movie and I was probaly too immature during my high school days too appreciate it.

Something not spoilery, but what did you think of our Quebec actors?

Is that discussion enough for you?

jgminto

Doukyuusei

I'm not one for romance anime but this was positively delightful. I thought the overly dramatic early feelings and jealousies were going to dominate things at first but instead were deftly put in place as this root of awkward teen romance that just made it all the more real The real treat was that developing into genuine feelings between Kusakabe and Sajou so that when they struggled to reconcile their relationship, the words spoken in anger stung the viewer just as much as it did their target because we could see the feelings they were afraid to admit to one another. Great stuff.
Still need to watch this myself.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I need Duckroll to mentor me into getting back into Terra Battle. I started playing it when I was hospitalized last year, then got pissed that I didn't know you could pull better high rank cards at the beginning.

duckroll

Something not spoilery, but what did you think of our Quebec actors?

Pretty good. Both the mother and the daughter had really good performances. The guys were all just kinda there though.

I'm less interested in discussing the specifics of the plot (because I think they are obvious) and more interesting in the thematic presentation of the film. What struck me is how powerful it felt right from the start, because it's not portrayed as a simple drama or mystery, but rather a mythic fable of sorts. I guess it makes sense when I found out it was adapted from a stage play, but the narrative techniques applied in the film are so effective.

Nawal's story is more than just about the twins learning about their mother's life, it is a vehicle for the narrative to take the audience through decades of civil war, cultural divides, the cycle of violence, the destructive qualities of war on a person's soul, and what it is to be a survivor. It's pretty crazy how they packed all of that in a 2 hour runtime. Those title cards for every chapter, the great use of music and audio volume. VILLENEUVE DA GAWD.

I'm going to. Duckroll was supposed to but probably forgot. Again

Link me to my vote and I'll fix it ASAP. I need an assistant...

Pretty good. Both the mother and the daughter had really good performances. The guys were all just kinda there though.

I'm less interested in discussing the specifics of the plot (because I think they are obvious) and more interesting in the thematic presentation of the film. What struck me is how powerful it felt right from the start, because it's not portrayed as a simple drama or mystery, but rather a mythic fable of sorts. I guess it makes sense when I found out it was adapted from a stage play, but the narrative techniques applied in the film are so effective.

Nawal's story is more than just about the twins learning about their mother's life, it is a vehicle for the narrative to take the audience through decades of civil war, cultural divides, the cycle of violence, the destructive qualities of war on a person's soul, and what it is to be a survivor. It's pretty crazy how they packed all of that in a 2 hour runtime. Those title cards for every chapter, the great use of music and audio volume. VILLENEUVE DA GAWD.

Link me to my vote and I'll fix it ASAP. I need an assistant...
Agreed I remember it being quite something on It's presentation of the war. But yea its been so long ducky I barely remember the movie :/. You ever heard of the director Xavier Dolan? He's excellent and since you liked incendies, maybe try the movie Mommy from him. If you have any access to it.

Rainy

Banned
RahXephon 22

Well a lot of stuff happened here.
I had a feeling the operation wouldn't go off without a hitch, but I wonder why the Mu started multiplying everywhere. As for Ayato, I'm guessing the painting he wants to show Haruka might be one where you can see the woman's face? Just a guess. Ayato will probably have to accept that he's not going to be human and undergo that transformation by the end of the show I feel.

Also who is the head of Bahbem, is it Helena now?!

I'll finish tomorrow!

duckroll

Found a Terra Battle figure if you want me to get it for you

My remaining (extremely limited) display shelf space is reserved for a stack of unbuilt gunpla. >_<

But, while we're at it, have you seen Zero and Ao no Kiseki EVO for Vita available anywhere for cheap so far?

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep 21
Well, Mamaru really is a
murian
piece of shit. Not only did that
punch
look ridiculas, but Ayato just stood there and watched? Man up Ayato, you must know who your woman of destiny is by now!

kewlmyc

Actually it did have this. The stakes in Accel World's fights was that if you lost a battle, you lost points. These points were needed in order to keep playing the Brain Burst game. Lose all your points, and you can't accelerate anymore.

And you know what? This is ten times more interesting to me than SAO's death game plot.

The Accelerated World IMO is a more inherently interesting concept than SAO's VRMMOs. It's this hidden thing from the real world that nobody but a few teenagers know about and is more or less some big secret society that all the cool kids use. It's not just a game, it's a super power. These kids can pretty much stop time to think faster than anybody else whenever they want but they have to play a fighting game in order to keep it. It's super easy to be kicked out of it if you're careless and everybody who has it doesn't want to lose it.

These teenagers are essentially living alternate lives in secret from everybody else while still living in the real world.

I guess, when you get down to it, that's not really as grabbing of a scenario as "A bunch of kids are trapped in a video game and if they die there they die in real life" to the common anime fan, but for me it's something I can more easily get into if only for the uniqueness factor of the Accelerated World in general.

Also Kuroyukihime is the best.

If you lose in Accel World you lose Brain Burst and all your memories associated with it, which could be years worth of relationships and friendships both IN & out of game.

There werent really any stakes in GGO and ALO though.

Had no idea. Been years since I've seen it. Thanks.

I personally prefer Sicario. All the actors in that film are amazing, with Del Toro being the stand out. It has probably some of the most tense scenes ever to be put to television. One scene kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time until a moment where my jaw literally dropped because of what happened. Also, Villeneuve teams up with Roger "the reason Skyfall looks amazing" Deakins for the film, and there are many shots which are simply beautiful.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 6

This is such a refinement over the first season. First the wonderful Dazai backstory and now with all the pieces in place and introductions no longer needed, it's just The Goods™.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

All I got from this was "Play Terra Battle".

Mother of God, Stardust Crusaders has another 20+ episode season? Welp, there goes any hope I'll catch up with DiU before voting season ends, but at the least I'm enjoying it so far so I will eventually catch up.

My remaining (extremely limited) display shelf space is reserved for a stack of unbuilt gunpla. >_<

But, while we're at it, have you seen Zero and Ao no Kiseki EVO for Vita available anywhere for cheap so far?

I'll be honest, I haven't been in too many new game places and the used ones I've been in have had 0 copies.

I might look around more later, but I didn't look hard cause much as I'd love to buy them I couldn't read them =/

Hamst3r

Bartender - 1 through 6: Okay episodes. 7 and 8: Good episodes. 9: Best episode. 10: Worst episode. 11: Second worst episode.

Area 88 - Really good! Makes me wanna play U.N. Squadron again. And watch Macross.

Kyou kara Ore wa!! - Also really good and funny, albeit a bit repetitive. It would have been nice if there were more types of conflicts. It's the type of show I think could use a reboot that goes further into the story. I'd definitely watch more of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom