• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 7

Dazai's probably the scariest character between his ability and the utter respect friend & foe alike allot him. Q's appearance and Dazai's reaction has me wondering if everything after the prologue episodes isn't just one big alignment check for him.

I think I'll always rank Sicario higher because the drug wars is a topic very well known to folks from my home country and the whole film was just depressing beyond words.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 8

fucking lol @ lovecraft's lesson in madness and Steinbeck's sadism in telling a powerful deranged child "God exists but he doesn't love you." Stuff's moving along at such a steady clip that I'm convinced the plot is secondary to the thematic exploration of self-worth and redemption going on everywhere at the moment. I wish I'd started the second season earlier yet at the same time I think being freed up to tackle it all in a short time has helped me appreciate what it's attempting to do better than I would have otherwise.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 9

Lovecraft battle was amusing because it's in line with the whole redeeming the irredeemable angle going on that isn't being taken nearly so literally.

Line_HTX

Konosuba S2 01

Yo, fuck that magical lie detecting bell.

yfwS2nZ.png

This Aqua face makes up for her lame attempt at clearing Kazuma's name. She is terribad.

Narag

Bungou Stray Dogs S2 10

My boy Rampo put in some damn fine work against Edgar Allen Poe who inexplicably had a pet raccoon for some reason. That reason apparently being a John Cusack movie called the Raven that was only memorable for him playing a version of Poe who inexplicably had a pet raccoon for some reason.

Taruranto

REMINDER: Instead of wasting time watching and posting detailed critique on BAD shows which are CASH IN productions made to promote FRANCHISES spawned from SMARTPHONE GAMES, a better use of one's time would be to sit down and watch an AWARD WNNING film by ACCLAIMED filmmaker DENIS VILLENEUVE, like for example, INCENDIES.

I bet Incendies is not even half good as Fata Morgana anyway.

I found the best trick for saving money and getting the best deals on figures in Japan; just be a fan of garbage shows no one else liked or wait 5 years to buy a side character from a more popular anime.

Made out like a bandit. Too bad the stuff I liked from popular shows cost way too much

Ascheroth

Little Witch Academia #3

Ye gods, best episode by a landslide. This was just 20 minutes of pure fun. Basically reworked Akkos first broom riding class and expanded upon her inability to fly in the most perfect way possible.
It already started good from the beginning but then Sucy decided to mix some more fun into the fun and Amanda and co also appeared and had their fair share of activity.
Continues to have loads of great animation as well.

There was also an Inferno Cop cameo in the episode, praise Trigger. Now waiting for the Luluco episode.
I like how last episodes butterflies made it into the newspapers, even if it was only shown in passing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
DoQSay Summer, Autumn

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

It's still really seme/uke so far guys I dunno about this.

Jintor

wakakozake 7 (the drama not the 3-second anime)

i just watched 15 minutes of a woman eating fried eggs and delusioning that the bar was dancing to vivaldi's 4 seasons

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
i didn't see this posted so I thought this would be something you guys would be interested in seeing. As we all know that ufotable is one of the premier animation studios and they love to heavily integrate CG. They did a commercial for Fate Grand Order a while back that was a collaboration event with Kara no Kyoukai. Here's the breakdown for the animation layers for that commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3R6cf6njz4

Here is the original commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YMDisG1OU

Kizumonogatari I - III

I've previously seen Kizumonogatari I, but the other two films were new to me. Part 1 was still as good as I remembered, so I'll focus on the other two films. I will only spoiler tag the most crucial parts, so if you are sensible to that tread lightly

Visually and from a directorial style the three parts a very coherent and it does feel like one long film that has been split up. Backgrounds are still CG (that mesh very well with the 2d elements), character art is very expressive and attractive and action scenes are incredibly dynamic with lots and lots of impressive cuts (and a lot of delicious smears).
Monologues are still absent and the film instead conveys emotions though character expressions and imagery. A welcome deviation from the very wordy tv series.

Plot wise Part 2 moves quickly and mainly focuses on the three combat encounters.Typical of Monogatari these combat encounters aren't your typical shonen action battles (the fight against Episode probably comes closest) and instead try to create unique situations (paired with tons of gore). Paired with the fact that fights are rather short this circumvents the risk of Part 2 feeling tedious. Hanekawa also helps the narrative in this respect, being not only responsible for some drama but also most of the comedy.
Overall this makes for a very successful middle part which avoids the typical trappings of part twos of a trilogy of feeling inconsequential or too slow. Oh, and the final scene with the tree was a visual stunner!

Part 3 then brings the focus back to Kiss-Shot. The attentive viewer will have noticed by now that
Kiss-Shot is suicidal and what her endgame is.
Araragi, being his usual dumb self, of course doesn't and so ends up being played until almost the end. So after some shocking revelations we have one last quiet scene with Araragi and Hanekawa, which starts out dumb but then gets increasingly more hilarious (
and exposes Araragi as a gigantic coward
).
After that we move to the climax and unfortunately I think it is here that the film stumbles pretty hard by falling victim to its own indulgences. While lavishly animated, the final fight is just too goofy. This takes away a lot of the gravitas this confrontation should have had. Even the Dramaturgy fight was less goofy than this. It also didn't help that the football stadium made for an ugly backdrop with its garish colors and uninteresting architecture. The aftermath scene is a lot better but can't fully right the ship. Ideally some dialogue from the aftermath and the rooftop conversation from the start of Part 3 about
Kiss-Shots past
should have been implemented into the fight proper. Overall its still a good finale to Kizumonogatari, but it is my least favorite part.

blurr

Anyone seen this show called Gabriel Dropout? I haven't seen anyone posting at least. I saw a clip on fb, it seems fun.

Pretty good. Both the mother and the daughter had really good performances. The guys were all just kinda there though.

I'm less interested in discussing the specifics of the plot (because I think they are obvious) and more interesting in the thematic presentation of the film. What struck me is how powerful it felt right from the start, because it's not portrayed as a simple drama or mystery, but rather a mythic fable of sorts. I guess it makes sense when I found out it was adapted from a stage play, but the narrative techniques applied in the film are so effective.

Nawal's story is more than just about the twins learning about their mother's life, it is a vehicle for the narrative to take the audience through decades of civil war, cultural divides, the cycle of violence, the destructive qualities of war on a person's soul, and what it is to be a survivor. It's pretty crazy how they packed all of that in a 2 hour runtime. Those title cards for every chapter, the great use of music and audio volume. VILLENEUVE DA GAWD.

The back and forth between her mother's story and her own journey was bloody genius, I was taken aback at first but it all came together eventually. The shot where we see her mother sitting on the ground in front of the burning bus was phenomenal.

In terms of the atmosphere, I feel Arrival and Sicario did a more compelling job. It's something I admire more in general I suppose.

I ought to watch Prisoners next.

dan2026

Little Witch Academia 3

This show is just fun, no other way to describe it.
It's not obnoxious or creepy, it's just fun and funny, while being well animated.

I could see kids and adults enjoying this equally.

SOLDIER

Does the Funimation Now app on the PS4 just plain not work? I've been wanting to try this service forever, was holding out for the upgrade (and Apple TV release), but whenever I select the Shows tab on PS4 it gives a server error and just loops it infinitely.

Joe Molotov

Sicario is anime now? I'm okay with this.

So...did Del Toro rape that guy or not? I was always a little unclear on that part. I thought he was just gonna waterboard him, but then he shoves his crotch right in that guy's face and I'm thinking "Uh oh, where is this going?" and then it cuts away and there's some...sounds?

Sterok

Little Witch Academia 3

Akko the Passionate. I guess it's best to have something? Nice to see Amanda doing her thing. Not sure how much we should be rooting for our trio when they're cheating every step of the way, and Akko has to luck out with another legendary magic item that somehow doesn't kill her. Best girl Diana goes out of her way to save her and still takes a clean victory. If Akko recognizes Chariot from her school photo, there's probably some records of her somewhere. Which means she should be able to research and find her name. But I doubt she'll ever think of that.

Anyone seen this show called Gabriel Dropout? I haven't seen anyone posting at least. I saw a clip on fb, it seems fun.

It's okay. The actual, laugh out loud, comedy is really few and far between in my experience. I don't think the music helps either, often giving it a more slow, plodding, slice of life feel when things are clearly meant to be more comedic on screen. The comedy can also be terribly obvious/basic, despite the fact that the premise has a lot of promise.

So yeah, it's okay, especially considering this season seems so comparatively weak to Fall.

Syrinx

Hunting Stray Dogs 1-2

Igarashi's direction and sense of humor combined with this show's mood and subject matter make for a really bizarre yet endearing product.

Does the Funimation Now app on the PS4 just plain not work? I've been wanting to try this service forever, was holding out for the upgrade (and Apple TV release), but whenever I select the Shows tab on PS4 it gives a server error and just loops it infinitely.
I used it just now and it worked perfectly for me. And aside from a bad UI, the streamong works.

Speaking of which

Drifters 12

A little bit of a weird place to stop since it was getting so great, but the show was still awesome. Much better then Hellsing which imo had the most boring of action. Here we had tactics and more then like 1 good character. Yoichi more or less drove me to watch the show, but the rest of the cast was fairly good. And yes as much of a uncommon opinion as it here I actually liked the comedy and I thought that it actually did not detract me from the show. The english dub is clearly the way to watch this though since it makes the show much much better. Also Yoichi shares the same VA as Deku from MHA so 11/10.

Puzzle and Dragon X 16 eng dub

So after putting this on hold due to college last season, I got back to it. Fun episode! The toyceratops is one hell of a cute monster. Also I had Charo name wrong all along :O Always thought it was Charles. Sorry Charo.

Hoping we get to see Ace's cool armor from the OP soon or aby of the armor he had in the mobilr game anime crossover event.

blurr

It's okay. The actual, laugh out loud, comedy is really few and far between in my experience. I don't think the music helps either, often giving it a more slow, plodding, slice of life feel when things are clearly meant to be more comedic on screen. The comedy can also be terribly obvious/basic, despite the fact that the premise has a lot of promise.

So yeah, it's okay, especially considering this season seems so comparatively weak to Fall.

CR shared a chopsticks scene on their FB page, I liked it, was wondering if it is consistently good.

Wanderer5

Little Witch Academia TV #3

Well that was a lot of fun. Akko trying to fly, her training, and then how relay played out was pretty funny. I glad they ended it the way they did too.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 40

Yuri coil have been a slam dunk for S4 if she were in acting. But she's not, so I hope she enjoys being this show's Shion.

blurr

That's one of the few really funny scenes. You get, maybe, 2 moments like that an episode so far?

Ah, I see, thanks.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 03

Yotaro gets straight to the point, that was really bold but necessary nonetheless. I appreciate that the amount of time it took to deal with this particular narrative point, it could've gone longer than it did but that's not what I'm here for.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Interviews with Monster Girls 1-3

funny and cute, the vampire is the best. Only thing i have mixed feelings about is it always look like they will cross the line of the teacher-student relationship, but they never do. It's obvious he has no interest, so i hope it continues like this.

i finally finished my aoty votes, i liked a lot of things from 2016, here's to a good 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom