• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
Kill la Kill also started off with a monster-of-the-week format until they decided to shift it into crazy mode. Relax. Let's just enjoy the hi-jinks of Akko, our adorkable mary sue of a protagonist.

Episode 3 of LWA was a fun ride. Lost it when Akko went through the 5 stages of grief trying her hand at learning to ride a broom, from threatening her broom to a abrupt cut of her just trying to grovel to it to allow her to fly. Akko is fun, and Megumi Han sells her very well.

Oh boy finally here we go! The appearance of Amanda's trio! The relay race was great and I loved that obscure Pawn Stars reference as well.
Akko? Mary Sue?

What the

If we're resurrecting old European adventure comic protagonists for cameos, I'll take some Corto Maltese.

I remember disliking movies that were too preaching as kid, I felt they were condescending, just because I wasn't a grow up.

Same here. I hope Zootopia gets away with its didacticism in that regard. And that whatever Disney moves on to strikes a better balance, like Tangled or Moana (reportedly, I haven't seen it).

I have a question for AnimeGAF. Of the Lupin the 3rd specials/movies released by Discotek that are still in print which one would you recommend? Do not mention Cagliostro and Voyage to Danger (also Jigen's Gravestone forgot to mention that) as I already have those as well as First Contact which I'll be getting regardless.

Line_HTX

Lol, Freddie please.

C21s9qrVQAEQAJ9.jpg

Qurupeke

The Handmaiden
I don't really post impressions on non-anime stuff here, unless I'm joking, but this is worth it. It's not just Your Name that got robbed, but this one too! If you think La La Land was the best film of 2016, I have news for you. I'm not really familiar with Park Chan-wook's filmography, but I suppose I have to check some of his other films now.

So, this was amazing. I thought I liked it by its first half, but then I realized how wrong I was and that this was the appetizer. Anyway, the cinematography was unreal, the movie perfectly balanced its playful and dramatic style and several shots in it were stunning. For a quite long movie, this had me hooked all the time. The erotic scenes couldn't have been handled better too.

What a movie.

Narag

I have a question for AnimeGAF. Of the Lupin the 3rd specials/movies released by Discotek that are still in print ) which one would you recommend? Do not mention Cagliostro and Voyage to Danger as I already have those as well as First Contact which I'll be getting regardless.
Gravestone of Jigen'Daisuke

Joe Molotov

I have a question for AnimeGAF. Of the Lupin the 3rd specials/movies released by Discotek that are still in print ) which one would you recommend? Do not mention Cagliostro and Voyage to Danger (also Jigen's Gravestone forgot to mention that) as I already have those as well as First Contact which I'll be getting regardless.

Legend of the Gold of Babylon
Dead or Alive

PaulBizkit

Hello, first time here. Haven't payed attention to current anime seasons in a long while, but since I had the chance to go to Japan (for the first time!) for three weeks, and visit Akihabara, and everything... it made me want to watch anime again.

Curiously enough, I saw the first episodes of a couple of shows there, live, with commercial breaks, with no subs and it was pretty weird (in a good way).

Anyways, I'll give you some of my impressions:

Akiba's Trip
It's awesome to see Akihabara, the district itself, as the main character of the show. The characters are all pretty generic, but the fights are cool and the setting is OMG, so many memories of walking around there...

Little Witch Academia
Very funny, since it was done by the same people as TTGL and KLK, i'll definitely watch it. The animation is great and the story seems promising.

Somebody-san's Revenge
The most interesting so far, I'm watching this. We are all expecting the cold girl to fall in love with the MC, he to reject her, but then to discover he loves her. If that IS NOT how it ends, then it'll be my contender for AOTY.

BanG Dream
Best show to make snarky comments while watching. The show itself sucks but the backgrounds are pretty.

Nyanko Days
My gf likes it, its her AOTS

Nothing else for now... Question for the community, what's the most popular show of the season so far? Don't know if I'm missing something here

EDIT: I also got to watch Your Name on the flight back, it's a beautiful movie, but don't know if this is the right place to talk about it.

Those with more of an eye of recognizing just how good animation is, can I have your opinion on some of these Sakuga webms from Voltron S2? I want to make sure I'm not crazy in loving it and thinking it looks fantastic, but with some of the faster scenes maybe I'm filling in the blanks? Korra also had some spectacular action scenes.

https://sakugabooru.com/post?tags=voltron_legendary_defender

The first two rows are from the second season, and I absolutely adored them. Obviously don't watch if you plan to watch the show.

Cornbread78

Hello, first time here. Haven't payed attention to current anime seasons in a long while, but since I had the chance to go to Japan (for the first time!) for three weeks, and visit Akihabara, and everything... it made me want to watch anime again.

EDIT: I also got to watch Your Name on the flight back, it's a beautiful movie, but don't know if this is the right place to talk about it.

Welcome brotha.

Yeah, you can talk about old anime, new anime, how awesome Clannad and Sword Art Online are, how puppets are not anime, or how Duckroll has a strong addiction to white man's TV and Terra Battle. Anime movies are fine as well, I think we even got a sausage party review in here somewhere, lol.

Anyhow, welcome and have fun... Most importantly, welcome back to anime, now it's time to get hooked again....

Oh and if you nees recommendation of what you missed, let us know what kind of shows you like and how far back you have skipped and we can narrow some down for you!

Nothing else for now... Question for the community, what's the most popular show of the season so far? Don't know if I'm missing something here

I don't know about most popular, but Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a widely watched and appreciated show.

Sure, this is the right place to talk about anything anime - and even sometimes non-anime if it's of interest to members of the community, as you can see from the impressions of Handmaiden and Voltron above.

ACCA 13 III

Court intrigue + XIX century uniforms = good

That first shot with the wine glass at the focal point of the fish eye lens is the most interesting ACCA's ever looked.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ACCA Episode 3:

The slow burn continues even beyond what many characters were expecting and really I think in a meta sense this episode was all about outlining all of the various factions and players within those factions and what is motivating them to maybe attempt to claim power, I am curious about the king given that they are sort of framing him as an elderly dodderer and the real power is coming from the evil chancellor but he may have a shrewder mind then what is being given by anybody.

e_i

Saga of Tanya the Evil episode 1 English dub

Yep, perfect casting for Tanya. I don't anybody on Earth could be better than Monica Rial.

I don't know about popular, but these are good and worth checking.

Blue exorcist
Gundam IBO
Twin star exorcist
Tales of Zestiria the X
élDLIVE
AKIBA'S trip(you already know)

Ascheroth

Curiously enough, I saw the first episodes of a couple of shows there, live, with commercial breaks, with no subs and it was pretty weird (in a good way).

Anyways, I'll give you some of my impressions:

[...]

From this season there is:
Konosuba S2 (for your comedy needs)
Tales of Zestiria the X S2 (muuuch better than the game)

If I had to include the last couple season, then my personal standouts would be:
JoJo
Haikyuu
Mob Psycho 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Alderamin on the Sky
Kiznaiver
Kuromukuro
Space Patrol Luluco

Welcome brotha.

Yeah, you can talk about old anime, new anime, how awesome Clannad and Sword Art Online are, how puppets are not anime, or how Duckroll has a strong addiction to white man's TV and Terra Battle. Anime movies are fine as well, I think we even got a sausage party review in here somewhere, lol.

Anyhow, welcome and have fun... Most importantly, welcome back to anime, now it's time to get hooked again....

Oh and if you nees recommendation of what you missed, let us know what kind of shows you like and how far back you have skipped and we can narrow some down for you!

You're especially welcome to do this.

:)

Taruranto

Mana Khemia #3

This feels more lame for the audience more than anything. We tend to imagine magic in these kind of shows as something incredibly powerful and infinite, this makes it feel quite limited in scope.

Not sure why the characterization issues. Yes, Lotte and Juicy's backgrounds could be better, but it's also a 24 episodes series, it's fine to not give everything immediately. They have time, especially given the series nature. It's not like we watched 3 episodes of people walking in circles anyway, the show still introducing characters. I haven't watched the OVAs, so everything is new to me.

Akko likes Chariot because she's cool and stylish and told her she could be a witch. She's like 14, what else does she need?

Aki-at

Yakuza 0

Each submission can be a whole episode worth of anime.

Hi Shin and Line

Guess I should start posting in here now lol

Two new victims in one day, welcome to the both you! :p

/XX/

Look! GAINAX WEST has opened now their own official web homepage (http://gainax-west.com/), as the ideal place at which you can redirect any frustration provoked by their unsuccesful teasing! :p

This feels more lame for the audience more than anything. We tend to imagine magic in these kind of shows as something incredibly powerful and infinite, this makes it feel quite limited in scope.
Ley lines and the existence of artefacts capable of storing that energy (as is the Shiny Rod), plus sentient ones like the Shooting Star broom, have you covered. They could definitely expand in scope their own concept of magic around key points like those.

I'm confused, how tall/short are these people???

Well, their district has gigantism of sorts.

ACCA 13 - 03

The episode had some real good sound direction, concerning the music at least. I really got the impression that the slightly faint music actually originated in the restaurant during the dinner scene.

Every now and then this episode offered a nice shot, too, and I'm fairly happy with the overall direction. Though it really feels like they're restricted by a low budget.

I remain intrigued.

Taruranto

Ley lines and the existence of artefacts capable of storing that energy (as is the Shiny Rod), plus sentient ones like the Shooting Star broom, have you covered. They could definitely expand in scope their own concept of magic around key points like those.

Nasuverse mana recharging method...

7x8Lqua.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
ACCA 3:

Politics out the ASS.

Kind of a bummer Jean just gets the plot handed to him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom