• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Kizu adaptation is quite different from the rest of Monogatari. It's one arc that is fully worth both reading and watching.

Rest of it have tons of monologues and snappy dialogues which feels better suited for written medium but voice over works add an extra dimension to its effect. Visually stark backgrounds and abstraction of characters not related to its story creates an interesting atmosphere.

The lack of monologues was one thing that took me ages to get used to with Kizu. Made it feel so very different to what I am used to with *monogatari.

Jex

When did I recommend K? I'm not recommending anyone watch K. You said it yourself, the show was mediocre outside of the visuals. So to go from K, which at least had nice visuals, to this CG overuse, oddly visually directed clusterfuck is hilarious.

I actually feel the opposite to you - Hand Shakers is just the natural evolution of the GoHands visual style that defines almost all of their works since Mardock Scramble. Which is to say:

- A violently garish colour palette with no apparent understanding of traditional colour design
- Overuse of filters
- Terrible lighting
- Overuse of digital photography effects, specifically in relation to focus
- Terrible composition
- Extremely distracting and obvious CG
- Lots of 3D camerawork

I'd say K, which is a bad looking show, demonstrates these tendencies as well. Hand Shakers is just an even more extreme version of this aesthetic:

*** Actual images of K below, warning, protect your eyes ****
k-return-of-kings-01f0ljw.jpg

I've Always Liked You

This was probably the most standard of shoujo romances I've ever seen. I can only be thankful that it was at least only an hour instead of a whole series. Of the three-and-a-half couples it focused on, only two got resolved, so I guess there's a sequel?

There's a sequel, but it seems to have new couples in it, including hair bun girls' brother.

Kemono Friends 3

The mobile game this was based on closed a full month before this ever went to air and stuff like the seemingly abandoned park and the images of an empty one that's overgrown with weeds used in the ED has me worried this is going to be dangerously meta. I'm scared.

3spooky

MSMrRound

Lol, Freddie please.

C21s9qrVQAEQAJ9.jpg

Ahh damn Youtube/Toho removed the "doki stop me now" AMV that someone did for episode 3 of Little Witch Academia=/ It was such a good fit too, considering the episode title.

Oh, didn't mean much by the "mary sue" comment for Akko, just something that I saw people tagging Akko with elsewhere. Akko is pretty lovable for a protagonist though! A character that I can really get behind, though maybe I shouldn't have used the tag for her..whoops.

ibyea

Banned
The Great Passage: 3-5
The romance, I am just like who caaaaareeeeees. Seriously, those two have so little rapport with each other, and the show just wants to shove this romance in my face? pfffft.

The next big thing is the probable cancellation of the dictionary and the team's attempt to gain enough connection to sway the company from it. It's a shame so much of it happened in a montage as I feel like I missed way too many things, especially regarding Nishioka. It's a shame because episode 5 is really good, and had the previous episodes been on point, it would have been a great way to cap off Nishioka's development. As it stands though, it feels unearned.

ACCA13 03

Ehh, I gave it a fair shake but I think I'm dropping. I'm fine with slow burns, but this actually feels like its never going anywhere.

It's not good enough as a slice of life either. Oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What the hell, there's a live action Saki?

u0tCuV4l.jpg

I guess they can't find someone with giant breasts. :p

I also wonder how they dealt with the overwhelming yuri, no pantsu, and DBZ-style transformations. lol

ibyea

Banned
The Great Passage: 6
Having Majime to have to deal with the prospect of having to finish the dictionary mostly by himself is pretty good.

The romance is just booooring.

Qurupeke

ACCA 3

Everything that is supposed to happen gets cancelled. The show is just red herrings. On paper, it's an interesting show, but I've already lost my patience.

Szadek

can someone explain this to me?

so it was announced sailor moon crystal was getting a sequel.
it sounds like it will be season 2.

but crystal and season 3 already exist

aka why are they airing season 1 season 3 and then season 2?
S2 is part of the first anime, S4 is next.

Mawaru Penguindrum - Ep. 3
Yeah, stalker girl really is insane. I guess her diary is Penguindrum?

Cardcaptor Sakura - Ep. 47-48
Back to episodic stuff. I guess the rest of the show is now about transfromtin her cards, which I guess is important for some reasons.

Twin Star Exorcists - Ep. 29
This isn't looking too good for Sae. Ihave the feeling that the next episodes are going to be very sad.

I actually feel the opposite to you - Hand Shakers is just the natural evolution of the GoHands visual style that defines almost all of their works since Mardock Scramble. Which is to say:

- A violently garish colour palette with no apparent understanding of traditional colour design
- Overuse of filters
- Terrible lighting
- Terrible composition
- Lots of 3D camerawork

I'd say K, which is a bad looking show, demonstrates these tendencies as well. Hand Shakers is just an even more extreme version of this aesthetic:

Why are you using K: Missing Kings/Return of Kings and not original K?

Remember when we were all speculating about what anime Crunchyroll owned the home video rights for? Well, it seems like they have their fingers in a lot more pies than we thought.

They couldn't possibly release all of these, and the rights may vary from title to title, but nonetheless that's still a lot of titles that they're listed as the Master Licensee for.

Wait they have Haikyu season 3? I would hope for a dub, but haha I can only dream. As it ever happen that a company releases a dub for a title they only owned one of the later season?Maybe they can push Sentai to fucking dub it. Fuck Sentai I hate them for releasing Haikyu sub-only.

Twin star and Poco's Udon World BD and dub when?

Kemono Friends 3

Utter disrepair of Japari Park, coupled with someone trying to take over the robot guide earlier, has me wondering if this isn't some future where the amnesiac MC is a part of dying humanity and animal girls walk the Earth. One of the animal girls even reminisced about what her life was like when she was just a regular animal instead of an animal girl and another was taught how to make hot tea by someone named the professor...

The mobile game this was based on closed a full month before this ever went to air and stuff like the seemingly abandoned park and the images of an empty one that's overgrown with weeds used in the ED has me worried this is going to be dangerously meta. I'm scared.

and here i thought the character model was going to be the only amazing thing to come out of this show

Joe Molotov

- Overuse of filters
- Terrible lighting
- Terrible composition
- Lots of 3D camerawork

Only Seitokai Yakuindomo can save us now.
by being too low budget for maxium GoHands-ness

jett

D-Member
Made it to episode 19 of FMA:Brotherhood.

Not sure if it better or if I'm just getting more nto the characters, but I'm enjoying it a bit more. Had a couple of well animated action sequences, but most of it is still talking heads. I think I'd be more into it if it had a more realistically proportioned style. I guess in the end it's a kids' show.

manfestival

alright so what were the shows to watch from the winter line up?
I am more of a shonen action type every season except for last(to me) seems to have one or 2 really great shows to watch for me

I am more of a shonen action type every season except for last(to me) seems to have one or 2 really great shows to watch for me
Tales of Zestiria the X
Twin star exorcist
Blue exorcist season 2
Gundam IBO
élDLIVE
Akiba's trip

Are all excellent!

If you did no yet watch My Hero Academia, watch that and prepare for the season 2 in spring 2017. It's the best shonen.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

You mean the current season's lineup? We are in winter right now.

Blue Exorcist Season 2 matches your shounen preference the most, but the pacing so far in the second season has been pretty bad.

Ascheroth

Tales of Zestiria the X S2 (it's muuuuch better than the game)
Gundam Iron-blooded Orphans S2 has some sick action but there's also a lot of garbage inbetween, so I can't exactly recommend it without those caveats

Pls don't watch Handshakers if you value your eyesight and sanity.

Cornbread78

I'll just piggy-back on everyone else:

Tales of Zestiria the X
Twin star exorcist
Blue exorcist season 2
Akiba's trip (fanservice-y, but fun)

blurr

The lack of monologues was one thing that took me ages to get used to with Kizu. Made it feel so very different to what I am used to with *monogatari.

I've read that, partly why I decided to read the book before watching the movie heh. It ended up such that my mind filled in all the silent moments of the film with his monologues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom