• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
So I decided to check on the ACCA source format and I'm stunned to find out this was originally a manga instead of a novel. Reason being is that I don't feel the anime adaptation brings anything to the table. So far, what's been adaptated could work just as well in a novel.

There's no sort of spark to the show where I feel the visuals or audio provide any sort of additional depth or nuance to the work. I don't think this is necessarily Natsume's fault but rather the material just not being well suited enough for adaptation.

phaze

So I decided to check on the ACCA source format and I'm stunned to find out this was originally a manga instead of a novel. Reason being is that I don't feel the anime adaptation brings anything to the table. So far, what's been adaptated could work just as well in a novel.

There's no sort of spark to the show where I feel the visuals or audio provide any sort of additional depth or nuance to the work. I don't think this is necessarily Natsume's fault but rather the material just not being well suited enough for adaptation.

House of Five Leaves was a similarly dry and mellow work and the adaptation did much better in presenting it Iirc. Though granted I've seen but a few pages of Manga for that.

I think the problem is not that the material is not suited for adaptation but that Natsume is not suited for the material.

phaze

I imagine Battery ending must have pissed some people off. Assuming more than one person watched it to completion.

Weird show.

I'm 16 of 24 episodes into The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. I'm loving it so far. This is the show I wanted Haven't You Heard I'm Sakamoto to be. I love the humor and the the eccentricities of the side characters really play well off of the lead. And I think it has the perfect balance of being meta without being self-indulgent like other Otaku Shows end up being.

Syrinx

BoJack Horseman S2 12

Actually a pretty positive and optimistic ending, at least by this show's standards. Not all that unlike the end I season 1 now that I think about it.

Ep 11 is still fucking with me tho.

So for my first review post....

I am rewatching Psycho Pass Season 1 which is one of my only 4 10s on my very out of date MAL but this show is superb.

I watched the first 11 episodes last night alone and boy oh boy episode 11 still gets me... that is one heavy heavy episode. But this is one of my favorite shows since it just hits on so many levels. The characters are great, the action is well done, the overall story is great, and the ending is very satisfying.

I just wish I could say all these same things about the second season :(

KraytarJ

So I've been watching Fuuka lately, and four episodes in and this show feels like it's trying to be serious when the writing just isn't there. Also, everyone in this show just sucks. They're all weenies.

Syrinx

Bungou Stray Dogs 8

I've been wanting an episode with the doctor for a while now and she didn't disappoint.

Dazai being captured doesn't bode well for Atsushi.

ACCA 3

While I'm still loving the show some of the exposition's delivery is starting to get annoying. It has passed a point where you can forgive it the first two episodes as you're learning about the world, to the point it's now like they're hand holding you and you couldn't figure it out by yourself or via more indirect means.

"As you know the king didn't produce any male heirs, therefore he will be succeeded by his daughter's son, the young prince"

When you're having a conversation with somebody who works in a government position, lives in this country and is an adult this is just awkward to say and it sort of soured me haha.

BoJack Horseman S2 12

Actually a pretty positive and optimistic ending, at least by this show's standards. Not all that unlike the end I season 1 now that I think about it.

Get ready for season 3

e_i

BoJack Horseman S2 12

Season 3 is fucking brutal.

Bojack S2 E11 is one of the most incredibly dark and fucked up things I've seen on TV.

As I realized what was happening, I just kept repeating aloud "No, don't you fucking dare, don't you do it"

Season 3 is not as consistent as Season 2 but it has some INCREDIBLE highs. Still an amazing season tho.

Also, here's my anime goods haul from Japan. Quick and dirty pics just cause I'm unpacking now.

MiJAvBP.jpg

wWFIpDc.jpg

As I said before, the trick to getting a lot and not spending a lot is to just look for the shows you like that aren't popular, are older and not talked about anymore or are just shitty shows lol

I just need, need the Overwatch skins, you know? I deserve them. I'm not spending a lot of money or anything, just so-IDON'THAVEAPROBLEM!

kewlmyc

Someone on a podcast I listen to recommended watching the first 5 minutes of Handshakers.

What the fuck? How did GoHands go from K to this? How did someone at GoHands watch this and think that this was acceptable to air. You can tell a lot of work went into it, yet it looks like absolute garbage. I'm actually impressed.

Someone on a podcast I listen to recommended watching the first 5 minutes of Handshakers.

What the fuck? How did GoHands go from K to this? How did someone at GoHands watch this and think that this was acceptable to air. You can tell a lot of work went into it, yet it looks like absolute garbage. I'm actually impressed.

I'd say recommending K is bad enough, considering that show is so damn mediocre outside of visuals and the soundtrack.

Syrinx

Bungou Stray Dogs 9

Kinda surprised at how willing the agency was to just a abandon Atsushi.

I love how Dazai gave zero fucks while being chained up like that.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am trying to watch The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, but Funimation's site is so trash. Some episodes are randomly missing subtitles, and compilation episode 13 is just missing.

ACCA - 03

This is all so intriguing. Jean seems so aloof, while everyone around him keeps a close eye on every single move of his. How awesome would it be if he actually was what everyone thinks he is, except he had them and us, the viewer, fooled?

I've Always Liked You
uo4vfr0.jpg

No, it's actually pretty easy when both parties already like each other and should just say something instead of faffing about for an hour.
This was probably the most standard of shoujo romances I've ever seen. I can only be thankful that it was at least only an hour instead of a whole series. Of the three-and-a-half couples it focused on, only two got resolved, so I guess there's a sequel?

kewlmyc

I'd say recommending K is bad enough, considering that show is so damn mediocre outside of visuals and the soundtrack.

When did I recommend K? I'm not recommending anyone watch K. You said it yourself, the show was mediocre outside of the visuals. So to go from K, which at least had nice visuals, to this CG overuse, oddly visually directed clusterfuck is hilarious.

KraytarJ

I am trying to watch The Disastrous Life of Saiki K, but Funimation's site is so trash. Some episodes are randomly missing subtitles, and compilation episode 13 is just missing.
That's one reason I was actually a little happy Saiki ended. I want as much of that show in my life as possible but not having to deal with Funi anymore makes me pretty happy.

I've Always Liked You

This was probably the most standard of shoujo romances I've ever seen. I can only be thankful that it was at least only an hour instead of a whole series. Of the three-and-a-half couples it focused on, only two got resolved, so I guess there's a sequel?

If I remember correctly, (I might not be) I think
the third couple gets resolved in the credits with a montage or something of the like?

How good are the adaptation of the monogatari novels? I finished both novels of Kizu(this is so good!) and Baku part 1 and I'm wondering if I should just wait and read the novels as they come out or try and watch them. Do they nail the snappy dialogue?They also have quite a lot of inner thinking and I'm not sure how some of it would translate to anime form.I know the kizu movies are quite liked here, but what about the rest? I am tempted to watch for Araragi, but I don't know.

I would watch Kizumonogatari, but since aniplex says gimme 100$ I pass.

KraytarJ

How good are the adaptation of the monogatari novels? I finished both novels of Kizu(this is so good!) and Baku part 1 and I'm wondering if I should just wait and read the novels as they come out or try and watch them. Do they nail the snappy dialogue?They also have quite a lot of inner thinking and I'm not sure how some of it would translate to anime form.I know the kizu movies are quite liked here, but what about the rest? I am tempted to watch for Araragi, but I don't know.

I only have experience with the anime but I'm up to the middle of second season and I think the series is fantastic. The things you mentioned (inner monologuing and the general speed) work really well. I think they're well worth the time to watch.

Ushio and Tora 10

Ok this was a super sweet and heartfwlt episode. These kind of things always get me to the heart. The girl exploited/chained by an evil and liberated by our hero story was super nice. Ushio showing how much of a good guy he is! I like how straightforward he is as a character too. Tora showing us is good side made me kind of happy too. The main duo have a great dynamic. Love em.

Flip flappers 10

I tried to start this back, but IDK...those girls aren't good MCs. They are lacking.

blurr

Kizu adaptation is quite different from the rest of Monogatari. It's one arc that is fully worth both reading and watching.

Rest of it have tons of monologues and snappy dialogues which feels better suited for written medium but voice over works add an extra dimension to its effect. Visually stark backgrounds and abstraction of characters not related to its story creates an interesting atmosphere.

I only have experience with the anime but I'm up to the middle of second season and I think the series is fantastic. The things you mentioned (inner monologuing and the general speed) work really well. I think they're well worth the time to watch.
Nice to know! I might try watching whatever episode covered the baku novel part 1. I'll alternate from there.

Kizu adaptation is quite different from the rest of Monogatari. It's one arc that is fully worth both reading and watching.

Rest of it have tons of monologues and snappy dialogues which feels better suited for written medium but voice over works add an extra dimension to its effect. Visually stark backgrounds and abstraction of characters not related to its story creates an interesting atmosphere.
I mean the Kizu novel is my favourite so far. Everything about it was suberb. I definitetly need to watch it.

But yea baku did feel like some of the interactions would be lost in an adaptation. I will give it a try and see from there. Still sound like it's worth checking out.
Bakemonogatari...I think episodes 1-5 cover Crab and Snail (make sure to watch the OP's each arc has its own one).
Thank you for the info!

Narag

Kemono Friends 3
Utter disrepair of Japari Park, coupled with someone trying to take over the robot guide earlier, has me wondering if this isn't some future where the amnesiac MC is a part of dying humanity and animal girls walk the Earth. One of the animal girls even reminisced about what her life was like when she was just a regular animal instead of an animal girl and another was taught how to make hot tea by someone named the professor...

The mobile game this was based on closed a full month before this ever went to air and stuff like the seemingly abandoned park and the images of an empty one that's overgrown with weeds used in the ED has me worried this is going to be dangerously meta. I'm scared.

4LZ4lH3l.png

Bonus Alpaca

Cornbread78

I imagine Battery ending must have pissed some people off. Assuming more than one person watched it to completion.
Weird show.

Umm, yeah... The show just wasn't very good overall. I mean, it was interesting watching the circle of assholes & teanage agnst for the first 5 episodes, lol.

Did you finish Rahxephon yet?

Nope. 4 more to go. I'll probably finish Thursday night. I had to carefully fly by all your posts yesterday, lol.

Quasar

Umm, yeah... The show just wasn't very good overall. I mean, it was interesting watching the circle of assholes & teanage agnst for the first 5 episodes, lol.

I liked it. An actual sport anime I didn't loath. My only complaint really is that it ended when clearly there's a shit ton more story to tell. Thus it actually made it only my also ran list on my AOTY vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom