• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
Watched the first four episodes of Hellsing Ultimate. I think that's enough nazi vampires for me.

Jintor

For our Light Novel readers out there a lot of reincarnated-in-another-world shows have Our Heroes waking up as themselves in some other world or whatever but they usually arrive at, like, age 6. Or age 24. Or whatever.

What happens to the person they were before they mindjacked their new host?

(this line of thought not applicable to stuck-in-an-MMO)

Bungo Stray Dogs 5

I was going to say, "At least they didn't even try to have the detective do any investigating," but I didn't expect that twist. I have to give the writer some props for that.

I can't say enough good things about the audiovisual presentation of the show. I am particularly fond of the use of color; the scenes and shots which are completely saturated in shades of a single color are always eye-catching.

Cornbread78

Sölf;227741829 said:
I need a second season that follows the novels instead of going for an anime only ending. I need more Havia & Qwenthur best bro shenanigans in my life.

Definaty. Heavy Object "Macgyver Edition" was a really fun anime to watch.

Masamune-kun's Revenge 1

Hahahah oh wow the main chick is such a fucking BITCH. Fuck this girl.

You're not wrong, at all....

Cornbread78

Nanbaka ep.14
This was pure comedy based and the show reminded me over and over again. I guess that was their diversion from the jailhouse drama that season 1 ended up being.

Jarmel

Banned
Masamune-kun's Revenge 1
7_dennis.jpg

HE'S A FIVE STAR MAN! HE'S A FIVE STAR MAN!
I enjoyed this despite the occasional stupidity. Something I'm a bit disappointed in is how comedic they portray the characters as I would have enjoyed a fairly serious take on the subject. The main character comes across as Kanye-lite (from Amagi Park) but he's not arrogant enough for my tastes. I also think they screwed up showing the soft side of the Queen Bitch so early but I have to see how they handle her after the ending to this episode.
EvxO94d.jpg

Yes this is the main character's mother. I know. I know.
Visual quality is pretty bad largely due to how bad the art direction and lighting are. This is a bad job even by Silver Link's variable standards. I'm also not wild about about the character designs as a sharper and more realistic take would probably be more fitting with the writing but that's almost certainly not the anime studio's fault but rather the source material. One thing I enjoyed was the sound design surprisingly. Every time Queen Bitch glanced at Kanye, there would be a sword cutting effect which was fairly hilarious.
jrYn2bQ.jpg

I can't even disagree with this.
The show's entertaining I guess. It's kind of fun to watch an asshole-cast and this looks to have that in spades.

Clov

Nanbaka ep.14
This was pure comedy based and the show reminded me over and over again. I guess tgat was there diversion from the jailhouse drama that season 1 ended up being.

Every time the show tries to be serious, it gets boring. It's better off sticking to the characters doing silly things. Though given that every character in this show is a bad Deviantart OC, the edgy backstories and drama is inevitable.

Cornbread78

Dennou Coil ep.8
Well now, do we have two ships forming here? I really hate that other chick that's trying to mess with our girls though. Daichi needs to man up abd protect his girl from her harm.

Masamune-kun's Revenge 1

I enjoyed this despite the occasional stupidity. Something I'm a bit disappointed in is how comedic they portray the characters as I would have enjoyed a fairly serious take on the subject. The main character comes across as Kanye-lite (from Amagi Park) but he's not arrogant enough for my tastes. I also think they screwed up showing the soft side of the Queen Bitch so early but I have to see how they handle her after the ending to this episode.

Visual quality is pretty bad largely due to how bad the art direction and lighting are. This is a bad job even by Silver Link's variable standards. I'm also not wild about about the character designs as a sharper and more realistic take would probably be more fitting with the writing but that's almost certainly not the anime studio's fault but rather the source material. One thing I enjoyed was the sound design surprisingly. Every time Queen Bitch glanced at Kanye, there would be a sword cutting effect which was fairly hilarious.

The show's entertaining I guess. It's kind of fun to watch an asshole-cast and this looks to have that in spades.

Silver Link and a Kanye-lite. What could possibly go wrong?

In all fairness, the screens you posted seem like a different take on art than what Silver Link usually puts out. (Like Baka and Test/Tanaka-kun is always Listless)

I am gonna give it a shot. Silver Link shows always really start to hit their stride by mid-season.

Burbeting

Banned
I think Mother's Rosario arc is decent, even though it still has tons and tons of problems, but everything else sucks.
The excalibur arc is the filler arc to end all filler arcs.

Mother's Rosario had decent writing. Not good, but it wasn't down-right awful. GGO and Excalibur were just as bad as all of S1 though (aka. Really bad).

The way the show treats its female characters was just a big disappointment. And the battles had absolutely no stakes to them, which in turn removed all of the stakes from the plot and everything as well. So in the end a possibly interesting premise regressed into a flimsily disguised harem series. Which would be fine if it was funny to watch.

Cornbread78

Rage of the Bahamut;Genesis ep.9
Ok, there are soooooo many plot points going at once right now. I guess I know why this is getting a second season because there is no way for them to wrap all this up in three episodes. Poor Jeane did nothing wrong...

CrimsonN0

For our Light Novel readers out there a lot of reincarnated-in-another-world shows have Our Heroes waking up as themselves in some other world or whatever but they usually arrive at, like, age 6. Or age 24. Or whatever.

Hmm, I guess there's around 3 different ways that usually goes.
1. They're actually the same person all along, but some hit on the head/magical accident just wakes up the past memories/personality they had and heavily leans towards them.
2. The person they're reincarnating into has just died from some accident/murder so the other person's soul/mind is just shoved in there with no problems.
3. The author didn't think about it at all and that person technically just dies.

Or wait, you're not asking about the new body/person, but the old one?

Quasar

I assumed they mostly are dead, hence the reincarnation.

Jintor

Nah usually the old one just dies. You got it right, I was asking about the consciousness of the body they reincarnate into

I have a sudden and intense urge to rewatch toradora instead of all this new shit i should be watching

Cornbread78

RahXephon ep.6
Well, 6th episode and 6th girl; Kim. This dude is making all the ladies happy (except Megumi, of course) Anyhow, this was a very weirdly structured episode that felt like two different episodic stories pieced together into one, but at least he decided to man up a be a pilot.

Masamune-kun's Revenge 1

as someone who has read where this show goes, I'd rather skip another generic ass anime romance comedy.

At the end I'm sure it'll be revealed she rejected him because she was told to or lacked confidence, and has regretted it ever since.

Cornbread78

as someone who has read where this show goes, I'd rather skip another generic ass anime romance comedy.

At the end I'm sure it'll be revealed she rejected him because she was told to or lacked confidence, and has regretted it ever since.

The pigs foot was a lie and bitch girl did nothing wrong.

Tawawa on Monday

Watched it all last night. I liked the convenience girl the best
even though she only appeared for one episode. The hair twirl
did it for me.

kewlmyc

Sound! Euphonium Season 2

So is that it? There's not going to be more? Kinda sad, I want to see the future adventures of the concert band
and see if they can actually get gold.
If it is the end, then it was a very sweet ending. Overall, this is probably the my favorite Kyoani production, besting out Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Only negatives I could think of is that there was no yuri that some of the drama fell flat for me. I for the life of me couldn't give a crap about Reina's one sided crush on Taki-sensei. All and all, if not for Rakogu Shiinju and Mob Psycho 100, this would be my anime of the year.

Also, this series made me miss my high school band days. Makes me want to dust off my alto saxophone and start playing again.

Masamune-kun's Revenge Episode 1 – The Boy Who Was Called Pig's Foot
C1bRQwoW8AE_Ctu.jpg:small
C1bR19qW8AQEV3B.jpg:small

Well it will be a fine and probably fun ride.
I feel like I am starting to become a true AnimeGAF member. Had this aired 2 years ago, and I would have jumped right on it going by everyone's impressions. Now I'm here and I feel nothing. No interest, no hate either. It's something that's there and I'm here.

Masamune-kun's Revenge Episode 1
download.png

Yeah, it's hard to ignore the diet red pill taste this show gives off to be frank. Granted, it wasn't as bad as I expected, but like Girlish Number from last season, it's too ugly to be funny for me personally.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
10-bakemonogatari.jpg

Bakemonogatari - Supernatural mystery of the week, featuring a guy who, if I read the incoherent ANN description correctly, is back to being human after a brief stint as a vampire. Hey, it could happen to anyone. The show is being brought to you by basically no one of note

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Bungo Stray Dogs 6

Sorry, duckroll, but I'm actually really digging this. There's fair critiques to make about the chuuni powers and the sometimes questionable comedy, but Igarashi's still got it when it comes to crafting attractive shots. In his storyboard for this episode I was continually impressed with the many varied ways he framed the central trio of Dazai, Kunikida, and Atsushi, from small at the bottom of the screen against the backdrop of huge lettering:

to lining up each figure with three equidistant red towers:

to clustering the trio in the center back of a deserted hallway with their shadows extending into the blackness:

to splitting them up through pillars, shadows, and different orientations:

Mmm, this is the stuff that turns me on. The characters could be speaking total nonsense and I'd still be captivated. This show has perhaps the best photography work I've seen from Bones as well.

I feel like I am starting to become a true AnimeGAF member. Had this aired 2 years ago, and I would have jumped right on it going by everyone's impressions. Now I'm here and I feel nothing. No interest, no hate either. It's something that's there and I'm here.

No, you become a true AnimeGAF member by going through every show on The List and writing impressions for each of them. :p

Joining the Master Neutral Race.

No, you become a true AnimeGAF member by going through every show on The List and writing impressions for each of them. :p

In gif format?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom