• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One would've thought so, but apparently not! That's an option we'll need to look at going forward, trouble is figuring out how to hotline images on WordPress, the interface really wants you to upload them yourself.

And thanks. Today has been an awful day and right at the start of a new season too when we give up weekends to get previews our asap :/
Well, hopefully those links above help you in some way.

i do this whenever its brought up kiritohawk
You're the Granblue Kirito-beater-kun now!

Well your not wrong, Endless Eight is great if only for getting in the right mood for the movie.
Everyone should watch every single episode of Endless Eight if only to get into the right mindset for the movie.
Yep. Endless Eight convinced me that Nagato is the true main character, and the movie just confirmed that (add the spinoff lol).

Man... Endless Eight... That's a few hours of my life I'm not getting back.
Now imagine how much Nagato suffered! It puts you into her head by making you live her life for 8 days instead of the thousands she suffered through! Art!

I feel like I am starting to become a true AnimeGAF member. Had this aired 2 years ago, and I would have jumped right on it going by everyone's impressions. Now I'm here and I feel nothing. No interest, no hate either. It's something that's there and I'm here.

we live in a constant state of fear and misery

do they miss us anymore?

And we don't even notice when shows suck anymore, anymore, anymore, anymore

Cornbread78

Scrapped Princess ep.17
pVWFbWR.jpg
Whelp, looks like our princess can no longer live her "normal" life as they are on to wherabouts. Too bad they don't know what has been going on with her.... the next escape should be fun.

Jintor

Toradora 1-2 (rewatch)

This show still gets me, though I think I see the (moment-to-moment) flaws a bit easier now, and some of the more teenage stuff no longer strikes me as heavily as it did when I first saw it. I still think (apart from the overall ending of the series) Toradora has some really sick-ass characterisation, though a lot of it hangs around Ami who tends to push situations in a way that neither Ryuuji or Taiga do. But that's for the future. Anyway...

The first two episodes are really the establishment episodes of the whole anime, but I wanted to take a quick look at them as a single story to see how they compared to a (fan-translated) version of the light novels (and the official english manga releases since I have them on hand). The anime takes a few more liberties, squashing together a few scenes and extending others, but overall the general gist of the storyline is basically the same.

One thing that struck me is just how many times Ryuuji gets pulled into Taiga's world and how many chances he has to just bow out of the whole thing and the amount of times he instead chooses to involve himself. The first major one is probably when after Taiga's midnight rampage he goes over and cleans her kitchen and helps her out in the morning. Whereas all previous situations had basically been forced on him, that's the first one he actively goes to fix - he chooses to put himself into the situation, and accepts the changing of his world.

With this in mind, the basic arc of the story becomes a lot clearer (at least in my mind) even if the relative length of each act gets shorter - basically, each act 'ends' with Ryuuji making a conscious decision to step further into involvement with Taiga (I suppose it would be more accurate to say it ends with Ryuuji being faced with the question of whether or not to involve himeslf further, but it always does). The whole first episode is basically act one, and then the show crams three acts into the second episode; however, it all works for this story because it's a pretty short story, all things considered, with relatively low stakes (as two episodes or one-and-a-half volumes you know it's not going to solve the whole thing; as a light novel I think there's an equivalent implicit understanding).

I still think the most powerful scene is the third decision Ryuuji makes, which is the scene where they kick the shit out of the lampost. It's always struck me that the show basically decided to do a confession scene in the second episode, except the confession isn't that the main characters love one another - it's perhaps even more intimate than that. Instead they share their hopes, their fears, and their anger. They form a bond there, a recognised one, about their shared frustrations and pledge to back one another up.

It's also very nearly the crest of the tension wave, but it approaches it indirectly, since though the audience understands the ultimate aim of the show is to get Ryuuji and Taiga together, neither Ryuuji nor Taiga understand that yet. So when Taiga 'lets go' of Ryuuji there's a distinct feeling of dissatisfaction for the rest of the episode, right up until they 'get back together again' - that is, this time as equals, more or less. The way they get their is kind of lame (Kitamura not understanding, or I think on reflection deliberately misunderstanding Taiga's confession) but it leads to a situation that on its surface sounds the same as where we started, but is subtly different.

Anyway, I don't know if I'll keep rewatching but I think if I do I'll keep a notepad handy to jot down some thoughts. That was a fun exercise.

Cornbread78

I feel like I am starting to become a true AnimeGAF member. Had this aired 2 years ago, and I would have jumped right on it going by everyone's impressions. Now I'm here and I feel nothing. No interest, no hate either. It's something that's there and I'm here.

Not enough hatred for anything and everything you watch, but the jaded side has begun to seep in. Just wait until the AnimeGAF hivemind receptors start working to know what to like and what hate and then, you will be a true member. Be bold, you can fight it. I have faith in you!

I remember a show people talked about often back in the old threads called The Laws of Eternity.

People had...thoughts about this show that intrigue me.

I think I might just give it a shot and tell you all about it!

EDIT: You know what? Screw it. I'm doing it right now.

Jintor

I'm not even five minutes into this movie and already it's going on about Thomas Edison trying to communicate with spirits.

Oh my.

I thought Franklin was the fuckin' weirdo

Also weird thing to discover but one of the Toradora rewatch things on reddit has the English VA for Ryuuji sharing behind-the-scenes info on the dubbing process, which I think is kind of cool. Maybe for each episode?

Cornbread78

MC is also a blackmailing douche so they are kind of perfect for each other in terms of deplorability.

Very true. It's goibg to be fun to watch them both implode. But, although his intentions are straight douchebaggery, he is not a piece of shit to EVERY member of the opposite sex like she is, lol.

MSMrRound

Hyouka 14

I want Sawakiguchi of the Astromony club to cook my meals.

Thought Satoshi was able to carry the team just fine but in comes Chitanda with the save!

In fact Chitanda in there with the Play of the Game!

Wow she's making one dish right after another! She's on fire! ...but she also got too carried away and wasted all of their ingredients leaving next to nothing for Mayaka...

Oreki's passive support came through once again though, and it was amusing how he saved their bacon in typical Oreki style, without spending unnecessary energy

Tani-kun got knocked down like a peg, just like the rando from The Art Club has a Problem that kept on challenging the main characters when they were clearly inferior to begin with...suspect he's going to come crawling back like a cockroach yet again..

Hyouka 15

Being Kayano Ai is suffering. Why do her characters usually get bullied.

Alisha was bullied out of being a main character in Tales of Zestiria despite having best design and now Mayaka's ostracizing by some of the members of the club was brought to a boil.

Bucho could have done something to prevent it from happening in the first place but it felt like she didn't want to cause a scene, especially during the festival. Mayaka's just too easy to provoke.

Thankfully she has the Classic Club to fall back on for support and the new advancement in the Juumonji incident to fall back on. A bit of a uncomfortable episode for me personally, since I had also been singled out by others in my Secondary school for no particular reason at all.

Not enough hatred for anything and everything you watch, but the jaded side has begun to seep in. Just wait until the AnimeGAF hivemind receptors start working to know what to like and what hate and then, you will be a true member. Be bold, you can fight it. I have faith in you!
As long as I like Fate, SAO and Mahouka we will know I am still myself. When the day comes that I become the slightest bit uninterested in those, THEN you can put me in that category for good.

I mean it's been a good run, 9 years not counting the stuff I watched when I was young that I didn't even know was anime (to me they were all cartoons: Pokemon, Eva, Beyblade, Detective Conan, etc, etc). So if it took me this long to start becoming a little bit more dull, then I think I'll be fine.

I do have a list of shows to try with 13 items this season soooo... Yup.

Jintor

A quick scrub through Toradora dub ep 1

Just for comparison's sake and because a few of the dub VAs posted in the reddit rewatch threads.

The more subtle character voice stuff works well in english, but I don't think I'll ever be convinced that anime yelling can work as well as in JPN.

I have a huge list of shows to check out as well. I think I dropped the most last season, so we'll see how the shows this season fare. So far, 1/2 new shows may stick based on 1 episode, lol.
I somehow always, and I repeat, ALWAYS end up with either 6 or 11 shows if it's really stacked. Never more, never less. This Winter is looking like an 11.

phaze

Bungo Stray Dogs 6

Sorry, duckroll, but I'm actually really digging this. There's fair critiques to make about the chuuni powers and the sometimes questionable comedy, but Igarashi's still got it when it comes to crafting attractive shots. In his storyboard for this episode I was continually impressed with the many varied ways he framed the central trio of Dazai, Kunikida, and Atsushi, from small at the bottom of the screen against the backdrop of huge lettering:

to lining up each figure with three equidistant red towers:

to clustering the trio in the center back of a deserted hallway with their shadows extending into the blackness:

to splitting them up through pillars, shadows, and different orientations:

Mmm, this is the stuff that turns me on. The characters could be speaking total nonsense and I'd still be captivated. This show has perhaps the best photography work I've seen from Bones as well.

Please be excited for the flashback arc that was storyboarded exclusively by him.

oh my goodness this movie is literally propaganda.

I always thought Happy Science was the name of the studio or something when people talked about this stuff.

but no. it's a cult.

I'M LITERALLY WATCHING A TUTORIAL VIDEO OF HOW HEAVEN WORKS THAT'S ENDORSED BY A RELIGIOUS CULT.

I always thought Happy Science was the name of the studio or something when people talked about this stuff.

but no. it's a cult.

I'M LITERALLY WATCHING A TUTORIAL VIDEO OF HOW HEAVEN WORKS THAT'S ENDORSED BY A RELIGIOUS CULT.

You actually went into Happy Science and you didn't know what it was?

We're here for you if you need some deprogramming.

Psychic school wars

So this was something...AMAZING!!!! The visuals were out-fucking-standing, the characters were super fun to watch interacting with each other, the two *main*couple constantly made me laugh and cry with them and the story barely made sense in my head at the end. It was GREAT!

Kenji is such an MVP here! He is cool, funny, great looking, he has an awesome personality and he had so many reaction I liked throughout the whole thing. I just liked him so much.

The world had this constant level of absurdity I liked alot and Kenji's room as to be my favourite part of it. It was like magical.

Did I say the art was beautiful? Yea? Well I'll say it again!! Every fucking background made me hard. Great stuff

Man total surprise, I fell in love with this movie.

Would recommend! Fantastic! 10/10

Bungo Stray Dogs 7

I really liked the direction for the three simultaneous phone calls and the action scene simultaneously staged in two adjacent locations. If the abrupt comedic shift in the cafe scene showed Igarashi struggling to handle multiple elements gracefully, these later two scenes showed Igarashi handling multiple elements with aplomb. The action scene in particular was some virtuosic direction that nicely built up to the moment where Dazai and Kunikida exchanged places with each other.

I will say, despite the awkward extremes of comedy and violence that sometimes happen, I'm finding the narrative and characters more compelling than I was expecting. Kunikida came off as a particularly sympathetic, and tragic, character in this story.

Please be excited for the flashback arc that was storyboarded exclusively by him.

Oh, I am.

The Laws of Eternity - 48 Minutes in

"I'm Hellen Keller"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't know about Gabriel DropOut. There's a high likelihood I will enjoy this.

It's basically My Himouto Angel

Lf5GDLk.png

Upon passing a school in heaven, graduating angels are sent down to Earth, where they must learn about humans and guide them towards the correct path in order to become true angels. However, Gabriel White Tenma, the top angel in her class, becomes addicted to video games upon arriving on Earth and turns into a complete slob as a result. The story follows Gabriel, along with other angels and devils who have descended to Earth, as they attend high school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eADGP3b9j0

but no. it's a cult.

Yes, it's a cult. I'm surprised you never picked up on that.

Interesting fact: Kyoto Animation actually animated a short film for Happy Science a long time ago, before they began producing their own TV series.

Jintor

Toradora 4 rewatch

If there's any particular trope I particularly dislike it's the stupid 'school idol' thing where the idol is strolling along and every student goes and fawns over them. "UWAAAAAH" "KEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHH"

I mean I get that it's meant to be comedic and non-named students are basically always just greek chorus, but yeesh it ticks me off.

Anyway that's not what this episode was actually about, but yeah.

Jintor

Toradora 5 -rewatch-

Hmmm, I think the first time I saw this I wasn't aware of how much exactly Ami was playing up her airhead status while Kitamura and Ryuuji were still there. Understanding more japanese she is going 100% fucking in on being an idiot. Also a great scene that shows Kitamura to be the good judge of character he is, though here he's using it to manipulate Ami into showing off her evil side to someone she thinks won't come back to bite her.

Ami's brat nature is fantastic, really fuckin' bratty in this super-Japanese kinda way making Taiga flip out (though for Taiga she's pretty restrained in her flip-out, for Taiga).

I know the show has to hang its hat on it, but this period where the show is still pretending the thing is in any way about getting the crushes together and not about the ToraDora relationship is pretty irritating.

I like that Ami's relationship here is immediately that she fears Taiga. Even though she has to cover up the type of fear she has, she still has the common sense to fear Taiga immediately (even if her way of dealing with it is to try and stir up dissent in Ryuuji since she doesn't know Kitamura forewarned him). She's a really fascinating character partially because of how sensible she is. Of course, she can't help but try and poke the tiger...

pdohIu1.png

I dun fucked up

...which basically defines Ami as she begins: when she's sure of herself, she's sure of herself, right up until the point she fucks up. Of course Taiga doesn't help matters by accidentally triggering one of Ami's fears, so Ami tries to get her back immediately with two attacks, insinuating that she'd steal Ryuuji and that Kitamura hates her. I wish this scene didn't have Taiga literally go white; I think it takes away from the power of how badly Ami's words affected her a little - it makes it too 'manga' a moment for something that could've easily been treated more realistically.

Anyway Ryuuji easily diffuses Taiga's worries and they end by teasing something's up with Ami. It's really crazy how quickly they manage to introduce a character and paint her as 3-dimensional in such a short time; Ami could easily just have been a simple bitch-in-sheep's-clothing, but is already hinted at being something more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom