• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
LWA TV will be a Spring show for me. When its actually available on Netflix.

Can't say I enjoyed the first 2 episodes much.

Jex

[LWA TV] - 6

I have some pretty mixed feelings on this episode. At the end of the day, when looking at the trajectory of the series overall, at least it looks like we've moved Akko to the point where she's going to maybe grow as a person. This is a good thing, but its also long overdue. Oh, the episode also looked pretty okay, I suppose. But I still have some caveats:

- Akko is beyond incompetent. She might be an anti-witch considering how utterly, unimaginably bad she is. Even the most basic of basics seems completely out of her grasp. I understand that she needs to have an arc for this show to work, but making her this awful as a starting point is just ridiculous. Also, wasn't Ursula supposed to be helping her get better? She's not really keeping a close eye on her studies. Then again, Akko's version of studying appears to be trying something a couple of times and then giving up.

- As I said above, this episode eventually reaches a point where Akko has a chance to grow as a character, but structurally the way it does this is completely flawed. The whole idea behind Akko's story arc in this episode is that she has to learn that she must put the effort in with her studies before she can become a real witch. The method through which she is going to achieve this goal is by interacting with a magical fountain that will reveal this to her. To reach this moment of realisation, and interact with the fountain, she needs to overcome some obstacle, in this case, a magic polar bear. But Akko never overcomes this obstacle, and outsmarts, or defeats it in any way, shape, or form. She just stumbles around and eventually Ursula solves Akko's problem and sets everything up for her. This is deeply unsatisfying because it means that Akko can't even come face to face with her own problems on her own because she's so incompetent. Other characters have to help her self-actualize, which is very frustrating.

So what was the point in having Akko run into this obstacle that she would fail to overcome herself? Well, I guess it gave the episode some fun action scenes, but on a structural level it just feels like bad storytelling as it achieves nothing besides putting a fun action scene into the episode. Everything in the story of the episode should serve an actual purpose, not just pad out the running time with filler that that amounts to nothing.

- Diana continues to have a more fleshed out backstory than Akko, what gives? She's also so popular that people on the fringes of the magical world know her name? Jesus Christ, can the show calm down with its extremes? Akko being literally the worst witch to talk the Earth vs Diana being literally the greatest talent of all time is super dumb.

- Diana, Andrew and Andrew's friends scene where they were talking about the past feel incredibly flat. Not only did the script lack the bite that you'd expect from characters who share a history and have such conflicting worldviews, but there was no visual accompaniment either. I was expecting some cute flashback imagery, or even just some snappy cinematography to play up the tension, but instead it was just back-and-forth shots of people walking. Snore.

- The main theme of the series is clearly that magic is dying, or losing its appeal, or something or other, but for whatever reason I don't feel like the show has sold this to me. I mean, what does the rest of the world have that suddenly makes magic not appear totally fascinating? Its not like they have any kind of crazy super cool technology that's identical to magic - they appear to live in a fairly normal world, right? I don't understand how literal superhuman feats of magic are suddenly boring to these people. I mean, its like if you actually saw a real magic show today performed by actual witches and you said "well thats okay, but I have Youtube so whatever". That wouldn't be your response, right? You'd freak the hell out and be like "OMG, MAGIC IS REAL!!". It just doesn't jibe with me as a concept, at least the way the show has sold it to me so far.

LotusHD

Banned
Lol so far it seems that the 2 most hated characters so far (as far as this thread goes) are Akko from LWA, and Iok from IBO. Oh, probably the teacher from Scum's Wish too, I'm not caught up.

Pundere

Turns out the friend that recommended the show to me actually had the dvds, but forgot about them :p.

Nice wrap up to the season. Seems like they dumped all of the remaining animation budget into episode 15 (that Hanekawa crying scene god damn) and I finally get a bit of insight into Shinobu's character. The season as a whole feels like it's setting up a lot, but still (mostly) resolves it's issues and is a complete package. I'm guessing I start Nisemono next?

Now Crab=Cat

NYAHAHAHAHAA

How is kirakira ala mode?

Given that I have been out of the country since it aired, I can't really give anything solid so far.

The art style is rather nice, and there was no punching done by Sugar Rabbit. The general side cast seems rather lively, which I hope for since that has been steadily improving over time with each season. Although just seeing the first fight pretty much being a beam--- I mean a cream spam in a sense, I'm left wondering why in the world was this not done with Maho Girls, considering they were witches?

I am rather interested in the fact that Macaron is the 4th one instead of Chocolat.

Jintor

Wakakozake s1 (drama)

Even though something as basic as 'pretty girl enjoys good food' is rife with Japanese-style garbage direction at times I guess I don't mind because god damn that food is good.

Probably got to rewatch with subs off and noting down more words at some time, though I might scrub through s2 quickly.

I actually watched s2 first by accident because, what with the show having no plot, I didn't realise it was the second season. lmao.

/edit wait i didn't actually watch most of s2! Joy of joys more wakakozake to lazily zone out to

Szadek

Sometime I feel like you are wishing for the show to be bad lol

Ushio and Tora END
I knew you would like it.
Turns out the friend that recommended the show to me actually had the dvds, but forgot about them :p.

Nice wrap up to the season. Seems like they dumped all of the remaining animation budget into episode 15 (that Hanekawa crying scene god damn) and I finally get a bit of insight into Shinobu's character. The season as a whole feels like it's setting up a lot, but still (mostly) resolves it's issues and is a complete package. I'm guessing I start Nisemono next?

Now Crab=Cat

NYAHAHAHAHAA
Nise is next (although this is also a good time to watch the Kizu movies), but beware, it's by far the worst part of the series.
You can't really skip it either, since it introduces a few new characters and you see Shinobu talking for the first time.

I knew you would like it.

Nise is next (although this is also a good time to watch the Kizu movies), but beware, it's by far the worst part of the series.
You can't really skip it either, since it introduces a few new characters and you see Shinobu talking for the first time.

and that's not all you'll be seeing for the first time either.

Qurupeke

Little Witch Academia 6
JzFe96c.png
Maybe the only redeeming quality of this episode was Rabbit Akko.

Unfortunately, it seems everything is a build up right now. Chariot's story, Diana's past, the magic crisis, Akko as a character. But this would be okay if the episodes were more interesting, however they feel "more of the same" and the novelty has worn off. Even when they broke the formula and had an episode about Lotte, it was mediocre, so I don't know what's really the best.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
K-ON!! 14

This second OP is worlds better than the first. KyoAni needs to ban Ishihara from making OPs already. Yamada can run circles around him.
It's an improvement in a number of ways but it's still kind of early to be singing much praise for it. The first opening for the second season also has its own new set of shortcomings and feels modeled almost entirely after the first. There's not really a good base or visual theme to unify much beyond the repeated rotating cut, and without the building imagery of the band playing on new locations the blueprint feels pretty manic and aimless. Not that I like K-on's original opening, but the bigger improvements come from leaving behind Ishihara's rigid structure that the series does with the second opening for the second season and the movie. Both of those present information in a much more naturalistic way that is a considerably better fit for the series. They also do a better job with aligning audio cues to more complex visual imagery and movement instead of relying on the quick cuts the first two openings seem so in love with.

I'm going to assume by sequels you mean the DEEN twins so otherwise I'd say:
Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - basically an awesome family sitcoms starring a twenty-something programmer and a bunch of dragons.
Akiba's Trip - just a bunch of fun, the award winner for better than it should be this season.
Interviews with Monster Girls - one of those stories about how being a mutant (or Demi) makes you an outcast, the one I'm least sure of recommending but there's still some good to be found in it even if it's not terribly unique.

Blue Exorcist Kyoto arc
Gundam IBO
Twin star exorcist
élDLIVE
Tales of Zestiria the X
Akiba's trip
Saga of Tanya the evil

Handshakers

Konosuba S2.
March Comes In Like A Lion
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Ninja Girl & Samurai Master and Ai-Mai-Mi Surgical Friends are good short comedies.

Few other things that are maybe worth trying but would depend on taste.

maid dragon
youjo senki

Thank you everyone.

Qurupeke

The Eccentric Family 2-3
Benten is certainly the very best kind of manipulative and arrogant woman.

I was wondering if the father was going to appear anytime soon, but it turned out he had a rather unfortunate ending. Really enjoying the family's strong bonds though, even if they seem shaky between Yasaburo and his older brother.

The Eccentric Family 2-3

Benten is certainly the very best kind of manipulative and arrogant woman.

I was wondering if the father was going to appear anytime soon, but it turned out he had a rather unfortunate ending. Really enjoying the family's strong bonds though, even if they seem shaky between Yasaburo and his older brother.

Benten is Besten.
what an awful pun

The hardest part of this series is understanding how much it's a mix of 'present real world' and fantasy. It isn't only in the evident part (you have Tengus and magic and shit hidden in the real word, like in so many urban fantasy settings with ghost, or vampires, or monsters or whatever), here the author goes a step further and the inner logic of the world, of the characters is also influenced a bit by the typical fantasy fables which are the source of inspiration here, where tanukis or tengus appear, same as some fables with talking foxes and hares.

Oh they have meaning alright.

I have yet to hear a case on how IBO is anything other than a soulless, passionless, cash-in on a popular form of Gundam storytelling that the masses eat up and praise to the moon about how it's the best one in ages that beat both SEED and G Gundam on a popularity poll.

I suppose it's natural for some to think this way. The people watching and enjoying IBO to a great deal don't seem to have seen shows like Shin Mazinger Z, Getter Robo Armageddon, or G Gundam. At least I don't think many of them have.

You know who took a look at IBO and saw those shows? Jexhius and CorvoSol. You know what they thought of IBO? THEY THOUGHT IT WAS A SOULLESS, PASSIONLESS, CASH-IN ON A POPULAR FORM OF GUNDAM STORYTELLING.

So before you call me out on making posts with no meaning, perhaps you, or anybody else, make a case on why IBO is a good mecha show that's worth watching over:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Turn A Gundam
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Dangaioh
Nadeisco

Until then, I'll continue in my endeavors into experiencing classics like those and continue to glance over IBO.

Just saw Jexhius' post. You know what? I'm not gonna argue about this anymore.

I'm just going to continue watching the mecha shows I'm watching, and voicing my opinions on them.

IBO has far more interesting characters than Turn A and Gaogaigar combined. Id take Ride any day over Sochie, Khilil, Dianna, Mamoru, Kaido. Takaki over Harry and Gai.

None of the three have good mech design. Ride n Go (ibo) is the only one that approaches decent tier, gaogaigars are all messy and too clunky and modular, and turn a s needs to ditch the moustache, gain some wings and get some funnels/bits and two beam swords.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If it wasn't for darkness being part of the main cast konosuba would be much more forgettable. She elevates a cast that is just OK to something better
She's the least interesting character of the main cast with pretty much no range. The best episodes are never about her, and the good ones this season that headline her are good because of side characters introduced around her.

That was the fastest I've made enemies on a single show. Maybe it's that I enjoy the masochist gag since it isn't common, but explosion girl is just that (though they introduced the rival storyline) and aquas whole personality of being cocky and then crying and begging when the lead doesn't go along with it doesn't appeal to me all that much. I like aqua when her spirit gets broken though.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 01

Dio is one of the biggest assholes i've seen in any media, maybe that's why it felt good when jojo headbutted his stupid face. Poor erina though, she's gonna suffer as long as she or dio is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom