• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

I have moved on. I'm not trying to BE Corvo.

I'm just stating my beliefs on what truly makes a good mecha anime that I've learned from my time in the thread when he was the most most active.

You're ignoring the most important lesson he could have taught you: actually watch the shows. Parroting a raven doesn't make you educated, just preachy.

This actually made me think about the Imagawa-penned Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu to Keiji, a cheap but wonderfully hot-blooded historical drama that I left off in the middle and should maybe get back to someday.

Second half was p. good as it borrowed something fun from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly and one of the character's secrets turned out to be entirely unimportant to the man it was being kept from.

Sometimes I feel like you're too fixated on mecha iconography, to the point that you lose sight of whatever qualities made those great mecha shows worth watching. Imagawa's own Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still showed that you barely even need actual robots if you've got strong characters and the right blend of melodrama and hot-blooded machismo.

This actually made me think about the Imagawa-penned Gifu Dodo!! Kanetsugu to Keiji, a cheap but wonderfully hot-blooded historical drama that I left off in the middle and should maybe get back to someday.

Well yes, but a key part of Giant Robo along with all that was the relationship Daisaku had with the titular robot itself, which could also be interpreted as the last remaining bond he had with his father. Without that, Giant Robo would just be a meaningless tool that Daisaku used for action sequences.

The iconography is a key part of what makes mecha shows great. When the mecha themselves are tied to the characters backstories and personalities in a way, they become an essential part of the story and not just meaningless tools thrown in there for the sake of being a mecha show.

It's there where the mecha genre truly shines.

You're ignoring the most important lesson he could have taught you: actually watch the shows. Parroting a raven doesn't make you educated, just preachy.

I'm not ignoring it, it's in progress.

Paltheos

*looks at what came out in 2010*
Katanagatari
Nodame Cantabile Finale
Durarara!!
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Major S6
Angel Beats!
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Shiki
Bakuman.
Kuragehime
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

huh... 2010 was a solid year :p

*is reminded that the following shows should be watched*
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

I'm going to take this opportunity to remind anyone who hasn't seen Shiki to go and do that right now. Two things:

1) Bear the first episode.
2) The show is an extremely slow burn. Things are actually happening all the time - The show doesn't waste your time - But the large cast, the natural pace that it aims for ("Vampires aren't real, guys."), and the visual aesthetic that it loves reveling in all result in what sometimes feels slow.

Shiki's fantastic though, and despite a few misgivings I have with it, it's one of the first shows I think of when I think of 'top 10 of the decade'. Like, not at the top because some pretty damn amazing shows have come out, but still top 10 material.

zulux21

I'm going to take this opportunity to remind anyone who hasn't seen Shiki to go and do that right now. Two things:

1) Bear the first episode.
2) The show is an extremely slow burn. Things are actually happening all the time - The show doesn't waste your time - But the large cast, the natural pace that it aims for ("Vampires aren't real, guys."), and the visual aesthetic that it loves reveling in all result in what sometimes feels slow.

Shiki's fantastic though, and despite a few misgivings I have with it, it's one of the first shows I think of when I think of 'top 10 of the decade'. Like, not at the top because some pretty damn amazing shows have come out, but still top 10 material.

if you enjoyed shiki there is a good chance you would also enjoy ghost hunt as it's from the same creator, but a little more light hearted dealing with supernatural in general instead of just vamps.

and you also might enjoy the twelve kingdoms but it sadly doesn't have a good ending :/ but it's also from the same writer, just fantasy instead of supernatural.

Tiger Mask W 1

C4harA5WMAAYXh2.jpg

Wrestling is serious business.

This feels like a tribute to classic 1970s anime in all the right ways, complete with Dezaki postcards. Well, the digital backgrounds are ugly, but the animation itself is good so I can live with that. The direction strikes just the right level of cheese to sell the over-the-top world of pro wrestling, and the premise of two people taking alternate paths to revenge makes for an immediately compelling hook. After the generally consistent praise I've been hearing, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Tiger Mask W 1

This feels like a tribute to classic 1970s anime in all the right ways, complete with Dezaki postcards. Well, the digital backgrounds are ugly, but the animation itself is good so I can live with that. The direction strikes just the right level of cheese to sell the over-the-top world of pro wrestling, and the premise of two people taking alternate paths to revenge makes for an immediately compelling hook. After the generally consistent praise I've been hearing, I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Just try to survive the idol episode, both the animation and the entertaining cheese fell apart completely during those painful 24 minutes.

duckroll

I love how instead of listening to us with regards to how annoying it is that you don't bother watching anything that you actually whine about, you are shilling a vaporware multimedia project from Level5. Stay winning.

LotusHD

Banned
*looks at what came out in 2010*
Katanagatari
Nodame Cantabile Finale
Durarara!!
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Major S6
Angel Beats!
Kaichou wa Maid-sama!
Shiki
Bakuman.
Kuragehime
Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai

huh... 2010 was a solid year :p

*is reminded that the following shows should be watched*
Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

Got my friend to watch Katanagatari, he loved it lol

I love how instead of listening to us with regards to how annoying it is that you don't bother watching anything that you actually whine about, you are shilling a vaporware multimedia project from Level5. Stay winning.

Hey, I don't shill vapourware!

Jinraiger is only suffering minor setbacks, that's all! It'll get released this year or early next year and Imagawa will be the director or writer. Just you wait!

Megaton Musashi looks like a show that will indeed respect the fundamentals of the mecha genre.

While being 3D, this PV does an excellent job of showing how the property will maintain that distinctive Super Robot spirit. What it does with its story has yet to be seen, but from the demonstration on how the robot works, it raises all the right flags for a good introduction.

It's pretty annoying how you're taking an increasingly hardline position that "pure" super robot machismo is the only acceptable form for mecha anime to take, to the point that you're shilling ugly kids shows just because their mecha design copies pieces from past genre staples. There are other kinds of legitimate mecha anime too, you know. Patlabor, anyone?

It's pretty annoying how you're taking an increasingly hardline position that "pure" super robot machismo is the only acceptable form for mecha anime to take, to the point that you're shilling ugly kids shows just because their mecha design copies pieces from past genre staples. There are other kinds of legitimate mecha anime too, you know. Patlabor, anyone?

I never said that!

Okay, I should have specified that stuff like mecha being more than tools are what make SUPER robot shows great.

Patlabor is a real robot show, which isn't what I was talking about and a completely different issue.

Narag

Hey, I don't shill vapourware!

Jinraiger is only suffering minor setbacks, that's all! It'll get released this year or early next year and Imagawa will be the director or writer. Just you wait!

We already know the guy producing started a school to teach anime original script writing and this will be part of the teaching material.

duckroll

I never said that!

Okay, I should have specified that stuff like mecha being more than tools are what make SUPER robot shows great.

Patlabor is a real robot show, which isn't what I was talking about and a completely different issue.

Lots of Super Robot shows have mecha which are just tools. The fact that they look more cartoony and have personality to the design doesn't mean the story treats them as anything more than an extension of the pilots in combat.

We already know the guy producing started a school to teach anime original script writing and this will be part of the teaching material.

This should only affirm its greatness then!

Lots of Super Robot shows have mecha which are just tools. The fact that they look more cartoony and have personality to the design doesn't mean the story treats them as anything more than an extension of the pilots in combat.

I'm aware of that, and I'm aware that those shows can very much be good. G Gundam, my favourite Gundam ever and one of my all time favourite anime ever can be an example of this as well.

Even so, that won't stop me from calling out mecha designs that are boring and uninspired. Never mind how they act functionally, they need to look the part as well otherwise I just can't get immersed.

I want to see modern mecha anime giving me imagery like this:

sonicmj1

Megaton Musashi looks like a show that will indeed respect the fundamentals of the mecha genre.

While being 3D, this PV does an excellent job of showing how the property will maintain that distinctive Super Robot spirit. What it does with its story has yet to be seen, but from the demonstration on how the robot works, it raises all the right flags for a good introduction.

Watching the rest of that episode, I see a bunch of kids being semi-randomly picked to pilot a giant robot in order to protect the last remnants of humanity from aliens. There's no connection between him and the robot at all. I guess the gimmick is he gets to pick the trading cards super moves he wants to use? Seems like a tool to me.

Is the quality of a super robot show really just defined by having a cool transformation sequence, inane control room technobabble, and a theme song that includes the name of the robot/super move?

Saga of Tanya the Evil 5 & 6

God is dedicated to making one mouthy Atheist pay.

Tanya's attempts to scuttle her team, only to make them too efficient was kinda funny. They were very impressive, but I'm kind of hoping that there's another mage who can give Tanya some trouble. The action is still good, but I'd like to see more of a fight.

Konosuba s2e4-5

It's great to have Darkness back. Two great episodes where she got a lot of time to shine both from as a comedic character and a pretty decent crusader. Aqua and Kazutrash also had some impressive moments to show off their abilities.

So why aren't you watching IBO?

Because the Sunrise formula and their obsession with UC Gundam.

Watching the rest of that episode, I see a bunch of kids being semi-randomly picked to pilot a giant robot in order to protect the last remnants of humanity from aliens. There's no connection between him and the robot at all. I guess the gimmick is he gets to pick the trading cards super moves he wants to use? Seems like a tool to me.

Is the quality of a super robot show really just defined by having a cool transformation sequence, inane control room technobabble, and a theme song that includes the name of the robot/super move?

Regarding Megaton Musashi, that was only the introduction of a PV. It wasn't subbed, so I'm not sure of the story details. I can only judge it by its looks at the moment.

Regarding the bolded, no. But many of those can be integral parts of the experience.

Jex

I don't really think you want to impose a bunch of unnecessary purity tests on mecha shows. As a genre whose heyday has passed in terms of popularity, you probably want to allow as many people as possible to enjoy different kinds of works, without telling them that they're show doesn't meet some artificial constructed standards.

LotusHD

Banned
These are words but they have no meaning. Much like most of your posts.

tumblr_nx516qLahf1ro8jcyo1_500.gif

I don't really think you want to impose a bunch of unnecessary purity tests on mecha shows. As a genre whose heyday has passed in terms of popular, you probably want to allow as many people as possible to enjoy different kinds of works, without telling them that they're show doesn't meet some artificial constructed standards.

This.

T-Rex.

Banned
Kuroko's Basketball

Watching this after Haikyu has disappointed me as much as the time I watched Fairy Tail after finishing Hunter x Hunter. My biggest gripe is definitely the ridiculous plays, I prefer the somewhat grounded style of Haikyu where they do some high level stuff but it's not completely ridiculous. An invisible guy roaming the court is just.. eh. Gonna drop this and watch Ippo instead.

These are words but they have no meaning. Much like most of your posts.

Oh they have meaning alright.

I have yet to hear a case on how IBO is anything other than a soulless, passionless, cash-in on a popular form of Gundam storytelling that the masses eat up and praise to the moon about how it's the best one in ages that beat both SEED and G Gundam on a popularity poll.

I suppose it's natural for some to think this way. The people watching and enjoying IBO to a great deal don't seem to have seen shows like Shin Mazinger Z, Getter Robo Armageddon, or G Gundam. At least I don't think many of them have.

You know who took a look at IBO and saw those shows? Jexhius and CorvoSol. You know what they thought of IBO? THEY THOUGHT IT WAS A SOULLESS, PASSIONLESS, CASH-IN ON A POPULAR FORM OF GUNDAM STORYTELLING.

So before you call me out on making posts with no meaning, perhaps you, or anybody else, make a case on why IBO is a good mecha show that's worth watching over:

The Vision of Escaflowne
Turn A Gundam
The King of Braves GaoGaiGar
Armored Trooper VOTOMS
Dangaioh
Nadeisco

Until then, I'll continue in my endeavors into experiencing classics like those and continue to glance over IBO.

Just saw Jexhius' post. You know what? I'm not gonna argue about this anymore.

I'm just going to continue watching the mecha shows I'm watching, and voicing my opinions on them.

LotusHD

Banned
I love Haikyu! It had my vote for AOTY. It's Kuroko that I'm not fond of.

Ohh my bad, I can't read lol

I was about to say, because I rarely ever hear of someone saying they didn't like Haikyuu, at least not to the point where they consider it to be a great disappointment.

Jex

So much brutality in here.

For the record, I still have no interest in watching IBO. I didn't enjoy what little I saw of it during the first season, and the posts I've seen of this second season haven't really moved the needle for me either. I'll just watch the nice animation on sakugabooru and wait for the 2nd season to wrap up before re-evaluating my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom