• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

KraytarJ

Turns out the friend that recommended the show to me actually had the dvds, but forgot about them :p.

Nice wrap up to the season. Seems like they dumped all of the remaining animation budget into episode 15 (that Hanekawa crying scene god damn) and I finally get a bit of insight into Shinobu's character. The season as a whole feels like it's setting up a lot, but still (mostly) resolves it's issues and is a complete package. I'm guessing I start Nisemono next?

Now Crab=Cat

NYAHAHAHAHAA
Good, good. You're beginning to see the light.

DNAbro

Hunter x Hunter

Don't really want to talk about one specific episode but I've just been dying to talk about the series. My roommates and I started it back in November and we've made it towards the end of the Chimera Ant arc. I think we have like 10 episodes left before it finishes.

I'm kind of in shock how much I like the show. I heard tons of good things about it before going in but I was half worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it definitely has met up to and surpassed my expectations. It's a lot less standard shounen which I'm super happy about. Even the most "shounen-y" arc, Greed Island, was still an incredible joy. The Phantom Troupe arc was jaw dropping good. Hisoka is probably one my favorite villains in any anime. He is always entertaining every time he shows up. I'm just so glad each arc isn't really "bad guys show up, eventually get to level of guy and beat them up."

Animation quality is pretty great for a long running show like this.

Then there is the music. I can't think of an anime OST that I've liked as much as this one. I've been listening to it while studying for the past few weeks. Some specific songs like "The Emperor's Time", Hegemony of The Food Chain and "lamento for piano" (actual name is japanese) are some of my favorites.

Then there is Gon and Killua's relationship with each other. They way that they build each up throughout the series is so great. They are probably the best duo in any anime I've seen. I do think their relationship goes beyond the realm of friendship, especially with how Killua acts towards Gon. It's cute.

I don't think everything is perfect (why is Leorio even a character) but man am I enjoying it.

Hunter x Hunter

Then there is Gon and Killua's relationship with each other. They way that they build each up throughout the series is so great. They are probably the best duo in any anime I've seen. I do think their relationship goes beyond the realm of friendship, especially with how Killua acts towards Gon. It's cute.
tumblr_m8o3eyzKvQ1r3x2t8o1_500.gif

It's an improvement in a number of ways but it's still kind of early to be singing much praise for it. The first opening for the second season also has its own new set of shortcomings and feels modeled almost entirely after the first. There's not really a good base or visual theme to unify much beyond the repeated rotating cut, and without the building imagery of the band playing on new locations the blueprint feels pretty manic and aimless. Not that I like K-on's original opening, but the bigger improvements come from leaving behind Ishihara's rigid structure that the series does with the second opening for the second season and the movie. Both of those present information in a much more naturalistic way that is a considerably better fit for the series. They also do a better job with aligning audio cues to more complex visual imagery and movement instead of relying on the quick cuts the first two openings seem so in love with.

I think you misunderstood me to be saying the opposite of what I actually said.

Ghost in the Shell Live Action Trailer #2

I will ignore the obvious writing flaws that the trailer shows, it's clear this is going to be a middling adaptation. But I will be a neeerd and wanted to comment one little detail of the visual design.

While it seems they got lots of visual flair right, it really seems taken from the film or the manga (very cyberpunky!), there is one thing they are doing wrong. It's this:

Like in many other Hollywood movies, it seems cyborg/robots here have some kind of sheets of plastic imitating their skin, that can be put and removed like spare parts. You almost expect seeing some mechanical gears below it, it looks kind of primitive, clearly what people understand by 'robot'.
That's totally incorrect, Gits technology is more advanced, a bit closer to the pseudo-biological robots of Westworld, the artificial skin is similar to ours, with even nervous terminations done by nanotechnology.
And below the skin there isn't a hard shell where you can see the structure, again they are more similar to humans with a mess of muscles, tendons, bones, etc, except they are artificial muscles, tendons and bones.

What they would look like without skin
http://i.imgur.com/op2eo61.png

Jex

Ghost in the Shell Live Action Trailer #2

I will ignore the obvious writing flaws that the trailer shows, it's clear this is going to be a middling adaptation. But I will be a neeerd and wanted to comment one little detail of the visual design.

[...]

What they would look like without skin
http://i.imgur.com/op2eo61.png
The best part of the image you've linked is that I know you (or someone) had to crop the fanservice shots of Nurses in lingerie that Shirow put in to that panel.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The best part of the image you've linked is that I know you (or someone) had to crop the fanservice shots of Nurses in lingerie that Shirow put in to that panel.

Damn.

e x p o s e d

Jarmel

Banned
Like in many other Hollywood movies, it seems cyborg/robots here have some kind of sheets of plastic imitating their skin, that can be put and removed like spare parts. You almost expect seeing some mechanical gears below it, it looks kind of primitive, clearly what people understand by 'robot'.

That's totally incorrect, Gits technology is more advanced, a bit closer to the pseudo-biological robots of Westworld, the artificial skin is similar to ours, with even nervous terminations done by nanotechnology.

Yea this is kind of nitpicky.

John Blade

It look like they is a steam sale for VisualArts/Key games. Wondering if it's worth buying CLANNAD and the other visual novel for it. I like the show (it's not what people say it was but it's done well) and wondering if I should play the games from them.

sasuke_91

Hunter x Hunter

I'm kind of in shock how much I like the show. I heard tons of good things about it before going in but I was half worried it wouldn't live up to the hype, but it definitely has met up to and surpassed my expectations. It's a lot less standard shounen which I'm super happy about. Even the most "shounen-y" arc, Greed Island, was still an incredible joy. The Phantom Troupe arc was jaw dropping good. Hisoka is probably one my favorite villains in any anime. He is always entertaining every time he shows up. I'm just so glad each arc isn't really "bad guys show up, eventually get to level of guy and beat them up."

Then there is the music. I can't think of an anime OST that I've liked as much as this one. I've been listening to it while studying for the past few weeks. Some specific songs like "The Emperor's Time", Hegemony of The Food Chain and "lamento for piano" (actual name is japanese) are some of my favorites.

I expected a standard shounen when I started the series and was pleasently surprised. The way the Chimera ant arc in particular went was something I'd never expect from a shounen.

My favourite track is probably Killua's Theme - Kinpatsu no Shounen
The series is full of amazing OST though.

---

I just read up the synopsis for Masamune-kun no Revenge. Is the anime as interesting as its premise?

Jarmel

Banned
So thinking about LWA TV today and the thing my mind keeps going back to is how they're handling Akko. That is without a doubt the defining aspect of the show right now and how the show develops Akko going forward will be the thing that will likely make or break the show. In regards to Akko's protracted 'I'm a dumbass' arc is that it sort of reminds me of Simon from Gurren Lagann. I feel like if Gurren Lagann was aired today, some of the criticisms being lobbed at Akko would have been lobbed at Simon. In fact it actually was lobbed at early Simon when the show was airing.

Obviously there are differences with the major one being that we the audience knew who Simon was going to become due to that flash-forward at the beginning of episode 1. Still I remember the old posts about, "When will Simon do shit? Why is he not getting in the fucking mech?" or "Why is he so useless?". Now I'm not saying that this will be how LWA TV plays out but it's just something I'm keeping in the back of my head, especially with Otsuka being involved to some extent. I guess we'll see how it plays out but if so then the show might end up working better in a marathon format.

I'm fine with Akko being a dumbass because she is the only Witch there that doesn't have a magical background so in my mind of course she isn't good at this stuff.

John Blade

Man...episode 10 for The Hentai The Prince and Stony Cat just throw you without setting up the story of what just happen. Kinda weird to do that...

Narag

I'm fine with Akko being a dumbass because she is the only Witch there that doesn't have a magical background so in my mind of course she isn't good at this stuff.

Jarmel's descriptions the show in irc as Harry Potter if Neville was the main character was probably the most appealing thing I've seen about the show aside from the rabbit Akko that a ghost of the past showed me.

Puruzi

Banned
Yeah, this. Honestly surprised at people complaining that she's shit at magic, she's literally not magic. Basically a muggle.

Qurupeke

Jarmel's descriptions the show in irc as Harry Potter if Neville was the main character was probably the most appealing thing I've seen about the show aside from the rabbit Akko that a ghost of the past showed me.

It took 7 books for Neville to become competent, I wonder how much it will take Akko.

LWA TV 06

Ugggghhhhhhhh this show is killing me. I want it to be good but its just...

-Episode starts with people deepthroating Diana's wand and then Akko immediately sucking because we need to see that for the 200th time

-Why is magic considered useless now? Is there like some technological advancement that does the same thing automated? How does magic have value? I don't know, maybe cuz it can make you FUCKING FLY. I don't really have an issue with this kind of story but there's no reason given to why it should be considered out of style...

-At least Akko may start to realize she should probably just study if she wants to become good and not be a troublemaking hoodlum and shitty witch all the time. Wish she realized that four episodes ago

Joe Molotov

-Why is magic considered useless now? Is there like some technological advancement that does the same thing automated? How does magic have value? I don't know, maybe cuz it can make you FUCKING FLY. I don't really have an issue with this kind of story but there's no reason given to why it should be considered out of style...

Well, they basically can't do shit outside of like a one mile radius of the school, so that kinda sucks.

DNAbro

Leorio fucking owns because he's the only adult and the only one who doesn't get a fucked up despair arc where he murders people. He's just happy all the time

I just really don't like how unimportant to the story he is. He could be replaced and things would basically be the same. He gets much less screen time than any other "main character".

I expected a standard shounen when I started the series and was pleasently surprised. The way the Chimera ant arc in particular went was something I'd never expect from a shounen.

My favourite track is probably Killua's Theme - Kinpatsu no Shounen
The series is full of amazing OST though.

---

I just read up the synopsis for Masamune-kun no Revenge. Is the anime as interesting as its premise?

That one is pretty good. I'm very happy that HxH's OSTs are on Spotify. That shit is rare.

e_i

Tsurezure Children is getting an anime adaptation.

Plot:
: These short stories range from a boy, crippled by his absolute lack of confidence in himself, cannot even accept the fact that the girl of his dreams actually asked him out on a date, to the near-psychotic girl that pours her own blood into her homemade chocolate in order to win his heart.

WTF?

phaze

Tsurezure Children is getting an anime adaptation.

Plot:

WTF?

It's pretty innocent IIRC, it's not that kind of show.

Shame the scene that managed to surpass Raku's confession to Onodera on the beach probably won't get animated.

Arakawa Under the Bridge x Bridge 13 END

Didn't expect the last two eps to concentrate so much on a shounen tournament spoof. But other than that, I guess this is about what I expected/feared. If S1 had this perfectly carved out piece of Rec centered material, this one ended up going nowhere as the Nino mystery is still nowhere near solved, making this season more a series of separate skits than something that coalesced into something bigger. Shaft still managed to do quite well with the ending, what with Maria showing her warmer side, the end at the bank, the final credits, the epilogue and all the hitherto endcards shown to the accompaniment of the magnificent first OP. It's always heartwarming to see such care devoted to shows last moments. Speaking of OPs, it took me a while to warm to the song but the second one is pretty damn great too.

As for the show as a whole, I watched it intermittently across a span of little bit less than a year but I think my impression was generally the same during that time. A pretty hefty stepdown all across the board from the glory of its predecessor but still a decent comedy in its own right even with that ending.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah you also can't do any chemistry outside of a lab or programming without a computer. Those are useless too, might as well chuck em out

The show seems like it's implying that technology has replaced magic, which isn't that uncommon of a theme in a number of magic/fantasy related works. It seems to largely be held on the level of party tricks rather than being anything substantial.

Jex

The show seems like it's implying that technology has replaced magic, which isn't that uncommon of a theme in a number of magic/fantasy related works. It seems to largely be held on the level of party tricks rather than being anything substantial.

I understand that's the argument the show is planning to make but it hasn't really made it yet. I mean, the same idea is present in Tweeny Witches, except that in that show the people who've embraced science wear sci-fi outfits, live in a shiny, future technotopia, ride armoured beats, fly airships and shoot space lasers.

In LWA TV, science looks like its basically at the level we have today. Which is, y'know, pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be actually equivalent to magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom