• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I thought this Tsu Terakado fan club storyline would just be like 2 episodes. It's fucking 7 instead. It's longer than all the serious arcs before it lol.

Guy and his father also had a pretty good relationship, if I recall correctly. Dr. Shishioh did pretty much invent advanced cybernetics in order to save his son's life, and was always around.

Oh yeah, definitely. Guy and his dad Dr. Wily were a great father-son duo you rarely see in mecha anime.

Aki-at

Makes me think there's a lack of good anime parents. We need more Sachiko from Erased.

ClassicaLoid - 19

sgpiJr0.png
2Ftkyyf.png
sjojVvZ.png
F1xumlr.png
FF9DQXn.png
hd2sDgW.png
9F1IiVO.png
y8YnTCQ.png

Alright at this point and how many events Hasshie has been the central antagonist to I'm guessing he really is the big bad. Fitting it would be a shoebill, I knew you could never trust them.

This show really needs to let itself go more often, sometime it almost feels too reserved but when you get an episode like this where everyone is stuck in the mansion and falling in love will lead to death it brings out the strength of the series itself. It's a shame though that this is more often not the case but it's been an enjoyable ride so far at least.

sonicmj1

first off your avatar is a great parent child relationship given the situation (for legit list)

also you should add
Kayo Hinazuki and her mom from Erased for the other list :p

Oh, true. Hana is an awesome super-mom.

I also like the conversation that Madoka has with her mom towards the end of that series.

I'm searching hard for relationship in anime right now.

Makarov and Larxus And Might Guy and his father would be a good father and son relationships too.

Taruranto

This a Comedy anime #8

Uh? Why is everyone so mad? Juugo turned into a crazy monster that even almost killed one of his friends.

Also I can't tell what this anime is trying to do. It started as comedy, then it got serious, last episode was a weird tragic backstory that didn't have anything to do with what was happening, now it's serious again.

fE6FKQ0.jpg

KraytarJ

How has nobody mentioned Satoru and his mom from Erased?
Unless someone did and I missed it.
That's some top shelf parenting right there, even before the whole coma thing.

zulux21

[Word] is a better dad than Goku sounds like a good twitter bot concept.
but it isn't strictly true.
I mean goku is a bad dad but no one can deny shou tucker from fma is a worse dad lol.

plus there are still some crazy people out there that like to say that ging from HxH is a worse father than goku for some strange reason.
How has nobody mentioned Satoru and his mom from Erased?
Unless someone did and I missed it.
That's some top shelf parenting right there, even before the whole coma thing.

i was to busy making a joke abouy kayo's mom >.>

Wood Man

it isn't even a debate.
vegeta actively cares about his wife and child even if he is a dick to pretty much everyone else.

Goku really only ever shows any real care for krillin.

And recently he slept through Gohan's movie premiere. He's only shows a spark of interest in Gohan when it comes to "unleashing his potential."

Piccolo and even Satan are better grandparents for Pan. Satan looks like an awesome grandpa.

JulianImp

Shouldn't it be picollo and Gohan anyway

This. That list reads more like "popular manga series parent-child duos" than actually good parents.

As for the worst parents list, one can't forget
Ragyo and Ryuko
from KLK as well.

And while it ultimately was in his sons' best interests, Hoenheim sure was a lousy father in FMA:B. Not bad enough to make the list (especially when the series has that chimera guy, ugh...), but still a pretty bad parent nonetheless.

Oh, and we probably shouldn't forget Mimi and Cocona from last season (even though I'd rather wish I could).

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 10
Even on a stakeout the hedonism club just can't help themselves. I really appreciated the flashback sequence for Sawako's time in high school, though it's making me a little nervous for when the inevitable graduation episodes shows up, assuming it does. Also, just want to point out that in this episode there is a large group of people chanting Death Devil. Just a fun little detail.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The whole: "Anime appears cute and friendly but is actually dark" trope is nothing new, but the way Kemono Friends does it hurts in a really peculiar way with how oblivious the main duo is to it all.

The way it's the hints are made pretty plain to the audience as to what's going on and the way Serval-chan and Bag-chan just go about it innocently making their way to the next stop laughing and having fun creates this sense of foreboding that makes me want to know how these characters will react and what will happen to them when they along with the audience eventually do learn the truth.

This post ended up being longer than I originally intended it to be, but Kemono Friends has just had that kind of an effect on me. I'm sure there are lots of other shows that do this stuff better (I've heard someone compare it to Shin Sekai Yori), but for now, if Kemono Friends keeps this up, it may end up being my AOTS.
The nature of the world does not matter at all to me. There is not going to be some sort of ultimate payoff that changes the way I think about storytelling. The show is at its best when it's a fun goof with silly characters. Expecting this to have some grand payoff is weird. Someone having this as their AOTS is super weird. I want to relax and have fun with the Friends but that's contingent on the new characters for that week being interesting, and the owls were not.

Narag

The nature of the world does not matter at all to me. There is not going to be some sort of ultimate payoff that changes the way I think about storytelling. The show is at its best when it's a fun goof with silly characters. Expecting this to have some grand payoff is weird. Someone having this as their AOTS is super weird. I want to relax and have fun with the Friends but that's contingent on the new characters for that week being interesting, and the owls were not.

Yup. The world building is amusing for the sake of conversation and memeing going on around it but the crux of the show of the show is the real Kemono Freinds being the Kemono Friends we made along the way. The world stuff will be forgotten when it's done but Serval taking Ls will never not be funny.

Lol, I'm not expecting the payoff to be this ultimate grandiose thing. I like it for the same reason you do along with all the lore.

You're right. The show is at its best when it's a fun goof with silly characters. All I'm expecting it is to have SOME payoff, not exactly a super grandiose one.

I mean, I don't expect this to end with Bag-chan making a wish upon Lucky Beast to erase all the Ceruleans before they're born also erasing herself from the universe with only Serval-chan remembering her, or something like that.

All I expect is some form of a conclusion to this current running plot thread of
what happened to all the humans?
Be it a grand conclusion or a small one, I don't care. I just want to see where the show is going with it because where I think it's going intrigues me.

But aside from that, the best part of the show is the sheer innocence of the characters. They're just having a good time, enjoying the Friends around them as they go on their journey.

Yeah, you can make the argument that there are far better shows that deserve AOTS. I mean, Kemono Friends certainly isn't winning awards for animation. Not when there's a KyoAni show airing as well. I just personally enjoy the show a lot.

Yup. The world building is amusing for the sake of conversation and memeing going on around it but the crux of the show of the show is the real Kemono Freinds being the Kemono Friends we made along the way. The world stuff will be forgotten when it's done but Serval taking Ls will never not be funny.

This, yeah. I like the world-building stuff that's there and it's a big part of why I like it, but it's only made more effective by the encounters with the other friends. If it was 100% world-building and character drama all the way, I wouldn't have nearly enjoyed it as much as I did now.

KraytarJ

K-ON!! 11
You know what? Summer does suck. Also, this ED's been really growing on me. I'm not sure I'd take it over the first one but this is a unique situation where both EDs are better than both OPs.

Jintor

And while it ultimately was in his sons' best interests, Hoenheim sure was a lousy father in FMA:B. Not bad enough to make the list (especially when the series has that chimera guy, ugh...), but still a pretty bad parent nonetheless.

Hoenheim always struck me as a guy who couldn't face his grief and turned to some "greater task" to distract himself.

So he was a really shitty dad, but yeah, greater good etc.

Doesn't stop him being shit of course

Naturally people got nervous when tasked to come up with something that could equal the Prime Trilogy or Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. Something will happen eventually, people had to wait a long, long time for another Punch Out and Kid Icarus and when those came back, the games were great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom