• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 7

One thing that struck me about this episode was how the visualizations of Kikuhiko and Sukeroku's rakugo performances - performances we saw before in season 1 - reflect what Amaken said in episode 6 during his analysis of their styles in comparison to Yotaro's rakugo style. Of Kikuhiko/Yakumo, he posited that Yakumo's rakugo was primarily an expression of his own personality through the characters of the stories:

CKw11mj.jpg

s6SkNoF.jpg

Pm2JQ2t.jpg

When Yotaro sees the young Kikuhiko's performance, through his mind's eye we are transported into a version of the story in which Kiku plays all the characters:

While Kiku forces himself into the story, Amaken posits that Sukeroku forced the story into himself; that is, all the characters of the stories he told were subsumed into Sukeroku's being such that the audience was there to witness Sukeroku much more than the stories themselves.

So, when Yotaro witnesses the film of Sukeroku's performance, he is transported back into the audience of the hot springs on that day, communing directly with Sukeroku himself.

Thus the metaphorical visualizations of these performances allow for a more explicit demonstration of the different performance styles of these two performers. Not to mention that, since these visualizations are implied to be contained within the mind of Yotaro himself, it subtly indicates that Yotaro is letting what Amaken told him about his performance theories influence his perception of these filmed performances. (Just in case anyone was wondering, these flourishes are completely Hatakeyama's invention for the anime; the manga only contains straight renditions of both films.) This is the kind of thoughtful direction, direction that seeks to interpret and expand upon its material, that endears me to this anime. Plus, as a performer, these sorts of examinations of performing styles are inherently interesting to me.

Is there a particular reason Kemono Friends is blowing up? It looks like a bunch of nothing.

Pretty much what MPR said, along with the fact that the show has a nice innocence to it.

Like, I don't get the impression that this was made to pander to a specific otaku crowd because the show is basically just the fun adventures of an animal girl and a human girl meeting other animal girls, with absolutely no fanservice. This goes along with some pretty intriguing world-building that gives a dark subtext to the whole show beneath all the innocence.

jonjonaug

Is there a particular reason Kemono Friends is blowing up? It looks like a bunch of nothing.

It grows on you and around episode 3 or so becomes really good. There's no big episode 3 twist or anything and the CG is still garbage no matter what, but the quality of the jokes and the writing steadily improves and impressions of the show go from "what the heck is this" to "you know what, this is really comfy".

Twin star exorcist 45

eb3d7d9aab6358d8c0ba3951a76c9ab6.jpg

Here it is folks! Yuto you sexy villain, you are just the absolute best. Completely insane is so many good ways. Loved the conversation between him and Roku.
Almost like a confession of love.

Also Rokuro can
control his Kegare cataclysm king form? Holy snap!

Next week! nooooooow!

Blue exorcist kyoto arc 7

Rin was in pain and crying and I was in pain and crying...poor Rin! But that ending made it all good! Best girl Shiemi! yeaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.45
I fu(king hate Yuto, really, really hate him. He is totally gay for Rokuro and I almost wish that was the plot device at this point. I also hate the direction this took, but it's gonna to get better in the last 5 episodes, right? This is not the plot I was expecting from the synopsis at all, but hey, it's Shounen, right? I should have known!

Either way next week will be the battle between heavyweights for real. Let's get ready to rumble! Let's just hope they don't draw this battle out for the final 5 episodes with banter and non-stop OP power-ups by each side.

phaze

Fafner Exodus 12
That's it. She got the ultimate Fafner death flag. A dog.

Tbh, I'm not sure if I'm not interested more about the internal strife in UN than the island or the Exodus part. I think part of it is that I don't find any of the cast very interesting ? The remnants of the og cast are all pretty bearable now but they just don't have a lot going on for them, other than you know, survival and fight against Festum. I can't believe I'm using part 1 as example but there at least, Kazuki had this conflict with Soushi, the betrayal of island because of desire to see the world, the mother subplot. Now he's just kind of there, with only the death clock ticking which doesn't faze him much. And I still barely know the new cast.

The Vision of Escaflowne - 19

Okay, get this.

So the villain, who's also
Isaac Newton
by the way, has this machine that can alter fate. He sees that Van and Hitomi are super close and will most certainly fall in love.

But he can't let that happen otherwise the empire won't have its: "ideal future".

So what does he do? He uses the machine to PHYSICALLY ENGINEER A SCENARIO WHERE
ALAN AND HITOMI
HOOK UP. The whole scene is so baffling to watch and yet it's so amazing at the same time.

I imagine this is the exact same machine that made Subaru choose Emilia over Rem in Re:Zero.

IT'S LITERALLY "I LOVE EMILIA" THE MACHINE.

So remember folks! If you're still pissed about Subaru's dick move in Re:Zero episode 18, remember that it's not his fault! It's
Isaac Newton's
fault. He did it.

It's the only logical explanation for how that scene went down.

Imagine the NTR jokes if this was a current series!

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu S2 7

One thing that struck me about this episode was how the visualizations of Kikuhiko and Sukeroku's rakugo performances - performances we saw before in season 1 - reflect what Amaken said in episode 6 during his analysis of their styles in comparison to Yotaro's rakugo style. Of Kikuhiko/Yakumo, he posited that Yakumo's rakugo was primarily an expression of his own personality through the characters of the stories:

Good observation.

When Amaken made his observation, I remembered how it was in Season 1, and yeah, I could agree with him, it coincided with what we had seen. But I didn't got the detail of how it affects this episode's presentation.

Twin Star Exorcists ep.45
I fu(king hate Yuto, really, really hate him. He is totally gay for Rokuro and I almost wish that was the plot device at this point. I also hate the direction this took, but it's gonna to get better in the last 5 episodes, right? This is not the plot I was expecting from the synopsis at all, but hey, it's Shounen, right? I should have known!

Either way next week will be the battle between heavyweights for real. Let's get ready to rumble! Let's just hope they don't draw this battle out for the final 5 episodes with banter and non-stop OP power-ups by each side.

Do you hate him...hate him or do you love to hate him? Yuto is easily one of the best character in TSE. Also what direction were you expecting? this outcome was predictable since day one. I want my Rokuro equivalent of Hollowfied Ichigo for Benio
to come and save him just in the nick of time and then kiss and then beat Yuto.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.49
ftDYL6Y.jpg

That is not fair, not fair at all. I mean, damn son... I got chocked up a bit at this part just thinking about what this situation would be like in real life. Hang in there Natsu, Hang in there Happy!

Do you hate him...hate him or do you love to hate him? Yuto is easily one of the best character in TSE. Also what direction were you expecting? this outcome was predictable since day one. I want my Rokuro equivalent of Hollowfied Ichigo for Benio
to come and save him just in the nick of time and then kiss and then beat Yuto.

I don't really know, he is fine as an antagonist, I was just expecting a different plot from what we got. You know, they abandoned the whole
Get married and spawn the Miko, etc
I wasnlt expecting their ship to go pure anime and wait 49/50 episodes for
a fu(king confession and/or a kiss. The relationship development has been the slowest I' think I've seen in an anime, ever. Probably an exaggeration, but still, lol
It's been 45 episodes already, damn,

blurr

Usually I'd find that watching something on twitter before I actually watch the show dampens the experience or in some cases even ruins it but this time (Kemono Friends), it's amplified. I laughed hard when that Shoebill appeared, I thought it would come in the episode preview or the 7th episode.

The serious face I have been seeing all day on twitter suddenly appears in the show.

It's a lot more amusing when you have the actual animals juxtaposed with the athropomorphized version. Everyone has this personality to them, often reflective of the actual animal.

PK Gaming

Maid Dragon 7

Frankly, this episode was less fanservicey than episode 6, and waaaaaay better. Episode 7 adapts chapter 16 and 17, and the episode isn't too different from the source material, barring a few key alterations.

In the first half, it was just the Kobayashi family that went to the beach and it exclusively focused on Kobayashi and Tohru (Kanna was in the background)
In the second half, they didn't develop Tohru and Kobayashi's relationship as much, and it was decidedly less romantic (no, "I've reconfirmed my love for you!")

I think I have a pretty good idea of how the final episode will go down. I mean it was obvious for a while, but this episode completed cemented.

I don't really know, he is fine as an antagonist, I was just expecting a different plot from what we got. You know, they abandoned the whole
Get married and spawn the Miko, etc
I wasnlt expecting their ship to go pure anime and wait 49/50 episodes for
a fu(king confession and/or a kiss. The relationship development has been the slowest I' think I've seen in an anime, ever. Probably an exaggeration, but still, lol
It's been 45 episodes already, damn,

But did you enjoy the tease? the teases were awesome. I think the way they build up the Benio/Rokuro relationship to be top notch.

Obtain the Pengdrum, Welcome to Rock and Roll Night, Listen Up, You Lowlives That Will Never Amount to Anything, I hate the Word "Fate", Destinyyyyy, 24 END

It was okay I guess. Honestly like Yuri Kuma better. Individual episodes of Utena (35) are better then the entirety of both series tho. Guess you can't top the GOAT.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Obtain the Pengdrum, Welcome to Rock and Roll Night, Listen Up, You Lowlives That Will Never Amount to Anything, I hate the Word "Fate", Destinyyyyy, 24 END

It was okay I guess. Honestly like Yuri Kuma better. Individual episodes of Utena (35) are better then the entirety of both series tho. Guess you can't top the GOAT.

You are me.

Pingudrum had some very catchy ideas but ultimately feel flat. Yuri Kuma was rush and uneven but at least it was cohesive.

Utena da goat.

What did I do?

My natural love of birds gives me a heavy bias for them in this show combined with the fact the birds' designs are my favorites. Serval is an idiot tbh, thankfully Bag-chan keeps her out of serious trouble.

But why do you have a cat girl avatar? Cats are assholes to birds.

But why do you have a cat girl avatar? Cats are assholes to birds.
Stealing a BGBW avatar temporarily until I can find one I really like for next month.

YuriKuma > Penguin Drum, because PenguinDrum had some long boring spells and some symbolism that really didn't' seem to go anywhere. I haven't watched Utena to judge it.

Cornbread78

Konosuba S2 ep.7
Fu(k you Kazuma you total a$$hole, lol. Tell that useless Goddess how it really is. I can't believe how Kazuma grabbed
Darkness out of the back of the cart like a ragdoll (she is totally thirsty for Kazuma, btw)
This was good yet again. Kazuma's a$$holeness on full display!

phaze

So many people in dire need of becoming invisible in this thread.

Japanese Fans Ranked the ideal Parent/Child Duo:

10. Sweetness and Lightning: Kohei and Tsumugi Inuzuka
9. Sazae-san: Namihei and Katsuo Isono
8. Dragon Ball: Vegeta and Trunks
7. Bleach: Isshin and Ichigo Kurosaki
6. Naruto: Naruto and Boruto Uzumaki
5. Gintama Umibozu and Kagura
4. Clannad: Sanae and Nagisa Furukawa
3. Dragon Ball: Goku and Gohan
2. Naruto: Minato Namikaze and Naruto Uzumaki
1. Crayon Shin-chan: Hiroshi and Shinnosuke Nohara

Minato's inclusion in those always puzzles me a I see him basically the biggest father scum there is. In the 5 minutes he had with his son he made him an orphan and a shunned monster cause he cared more about his village than about Naruto's well being. (with a very silly reasoning behind that to boot)

jonjonaug

Maid Dragon 7

Frankly, this episode was less fanservicey than episode 6, and waaaaaay better. Episode 7 adapts chapter 16 and 17, and the episode isn't too different from the source material, barring a few key alterations.

In the first half, it was just the Kobayashi family that went to the beach and it exclusively focused on Kobayashi and Tohru (Kanna was in the background)
In the second half, they didn't develop Tohru and Kobayashi's relationship as much, and it was decidedly less romantic (no, "I've reconfirmed my love for you!")

I think I have a pretty good idea of how the final episode will go down. I mean it was obvious for a while, but this episode completed cemented.

19/20/32, yeah?

Also they didn't include the omake panel where Takiya is the only person to buy a copy of Fafnir's book. :(

LMAO at the results of the Tokyo Anime Award Festival 2017 "Anime Fan Award" and its Top 5.

I'm pretty sure Joker Game is the designated "Yuri on Ice anti-fan" voting show.

PK Gaming

I haven't finished Penguindrum yet (still need to finish it with a friend who's gone MIA), but I prefer it to Yuri Kuma. The art direction is better, the setting is much better, characters are much more compelling, with motivations that are clearer and themes that aren't layered behind like 15 walls of abstraction. Not that I disliked YKA of course, but Penguindrum seems better on pretty much all fronts.

19/20/32, yeah?

Yep. Maybe 32 can come before 19 & 20, but it's definitely those 3 chapters.

Japanese Fans Ranked the ideal Parent/Child Duo:

10. Sweetness and Lightning: Kohei and Tsumugi Inuzuka
9. Sazae-san: Namihei and Katsuo Isono
8. Dragon Ball: Vegeta and Trunks
7. Bleach: Isshin and Ichigo Kurosaki
6. Naruto: Naruto and Boruto Uzumaki
5. Gintama Umibozu and Kagura
4. Clannad: Sanae and Nagisa Furukawa
3. Dragon Ball: Goku and Gohan
2. Naruto: Minato Namikaze and Naruto Uzumaki
1. Crayon Shin-chan: Hiroshi and Shinnosuke Nohara

No Yotsoba? I suppose it's because it doesn't have an anime...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom