• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama - 140

undefined.png

Episode starts with this comedy gold, then transitions smoothly into an elaboration on the current arcs tragic background and ends with some swift, nicely animated action. I feel actually invested in what's about to come.

goodjob.gif

Could be the first serious arc I really enjoy if it keeps up at this level.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
ACCA Episode 8:

I am pretty sure this is just one long advertisement for a the Japanese baking industry at this point as this episode proves to have the most banal conspiracy ever devised.

Joe Molotov

Tanya 07

I like how all the countries have fake names to protect the innocent, but the United States is just the United States. I also like how Tanya continues to the best and also the worst. Merry Christmas!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kemono Friends 08
When even Forest Fairy Five has better singing and dancing...

Jex

Nah I have to disagree.

Out of all the LWA episodes out thus far, 1/3/7/8 have their own merits and were largely pretty enjoyable

Here's how I see it.

Every other episode of LWA has simply been telling worse versions of stories I've already seen before. That's not of any interest.

With episode 8, LWA did something that other shows were not doing (apart from that scene in Ai Mai Mi), and it did in a visually interesting way.

So it's worse versions of old stuff vs. cool versions of broadly new stuff.

Taruranto

The only episode I didn't like was 5, it was completely garbage to be honest. It felt like someone wanted to write a spin-off about his perfect waifu, Diana.

6 and 7 are probably the best ones for me, even if I think their approach to magic is absolutely nonsensical. 2 and 4 are pretty good too.

Acca-13 - 08

An almost entire episode of flashback explaining everything... and I don't care for it. The characters until now haven't earned my interest nor my care in them, so the reveals felt just flat.

The only interesting part was how hilariously sad-creepy was the life of the servants, observing them for years, only having conversation about their spying.

I think this author is better a character-driven drama series (House of Five Leaves) instead of this attempt of plot-driven series.

trejo

Here's how I see it.

Every other episode of LWA has simply been telling worse versions of stories I've already seen before. That's not of any interest.

With episode 8, LWA did something that other shows were not doing (apart from that scene in Ai Mai Mi), and it did in a visually interesting way.

So it's worse versions of old stuff vs. cool versions of broadly new stuff.
This reads like when a game reviewer docks a game points for "not being innovative enough".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm not a fan. SAO is kind of the golden standard of flash over substance. Like, Kirito is suppsoed to be parrying all of the boss' slashes here, but you never actually see the swords connect or any real weight behind the attacks. lol

Authentic mmo experience tbh

Gintama - 140

Episode starts with this comedy gold, then transitions smoothly into an elaboration on the current arcs tragic background and ends with some swift, nicely animated action. I feel actually invested in what's about to come.

goodjob.gif

I've found that the arcs that focus on Tsukuyo to be some of the stronger ones in the show. Her and Gin's first meeting has probably been my favorite joke in the show so far.

élDLIVE 8

Man seeing a Chuta full of confidence for the whole episode made for some of my favorite moments so far. It mainly made him look so cool.

The comedy was on point this episode, the dynamic between Chuta and Sonokata coupled with Dolugh internal commentary makes for some priceless moments. That stink remark lol. Chuta's jelousy and clear crush for Sonokata and seeing his pervy imagination run wild also makes for some great fun moments.

Really really liking Chuta and the crew!

phaze

Fafner Exodus 22

Behold the power of CG, The action in this ep was AAA tier, so many great shots with moving camera, not that the rest was any worse. If I had badmouth something, the constant fights with the very same Azazel types are getting pretty stale. The Walker is here from the beginning, the other one from ep 8 or 9 and there's only so many times watching them get away doesn't get you frustrated.

The resolution to the spy subplot and few others, long time in coming, was pretty neat. Didn't see that coming. (Well it was a bit out of left field) Generally liking these new developments, Maya always was the best character and this should give her some time to shine, I hope. And I guess I've to retract to a degree my earlier talk of characters being uninteresting, while Soushi and Kazuki are still supreme zzzzzzzzzz, Kanon, Maya, the siblings stuff and few others were all pretty engaging.

Qurupeke

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu 4

It's not bad, but I feel like the novelty has worn off. Sagara's antics are enjoyable for the most part, but the whole thing seems a bit repeated so far. I kind of hope it can change my mind by the time I finish it, but honestly, it can't even hold a candle to the likes of Gintama as far as comedy is concerned...

At least it looks pretty good and there's no more CG submarine.....

Without going into spoilers, I feel like some of the character designs in Breath of the Wild were made just for me.

This Gerudo woman and her abs.

So beefy.

Szadek

I'm not a fan. SAO is kind of the golden standard of flash over substance. Like, Kirito is suppsoed to be parrying all of the boss' slashes here, but you never actually see the swords connect or any real weight behind the attacks. lol
I guess the hitboxes are just really, really shit.
As in so bad Dark Souls 2 is making fun of how terrible they are.

Without going into spoilers, I feel like some of the character designs in Breath of the Wild were made just for me.

So beefy.

I know that feel lol

I've also been seeing a lot of pictures floating around
Zelda and her apparently painted on pants lol

Kyuur

So I haven't really been watching anything this season. Waiting for LWA to come out via legal sources.

The only other thing on my radar was ACCA -- how is that doing? Anything else turning out good/great this season (besides Konosuba S2 -- I just started on S1 because of AOTY).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
So, Gabriel Dropout is CR's 7th most popular show. Guess that's the power of Satania.
Like...the day it airs maybe? Pretty sure there is like zero chance it is their seventh most popular show overall.

So I haven't really been watching anything this season. Waiting for LWA to come out via legal sources.

The only other thing on my radar was ACCA -- how is that doing? Anything else turning out good/great this season (besides Konosuba S2 -- I just started on S1 because of AOTY).
Tales of Zestiria the X
Blue Exorcist kyoto arc
élDLIVE
Twin star exorcist
Gundam Iron Blooded orphans

Are staying constantly strong and are all well worth a watch.

ACCA apparently improved after episode 4, but don't take my word for it.

Shouwa Genroku, much like the first season, is apparently fantastic.

phaze

ACCA is pretty weak. Watch the Op and Ed and let it go.

I'd put out Scum's Wish and continuing Sangatsu as worthwhile things this season. + Konosuba

Narag

I'll forever marvel at how tumblr gifs can ruin a point. I think that gif is slowed down too for some stupid reason.

March Comes in Like a Lion
Saga of Tanya the Evil

Crocodile

So beefy.

I know very little about BotW right now except that the fanart is going to be lit :p

This reads like when a game reviewer docks a game points for "not being innovative enough".

I dunno I think it reads like a game reviewer docking off points because the execution wasn't good enough. His issue seems to be more "I've seen this done elsewhere but better" rather than "I've seen this done elsewhere"

You should join the Scum's Wish group watch.

-Minsc-

Gintama - 140

goodjob.gif

I'd say you are in for a treat.

Hand Shakers, only anime this season to successfully inspire a real card game.

The Vision of EscaFlowne Episode 16 The Guided Ones
C5y0ezIWYAAUeHf.jpg:small

Is missunderstanding coming back, of all the times for Van to walk through the ship it had to be this one. I hope Hitomi clears things up.

The Isaac and Hitomi grandma story was really compelling, kind of wish more was spent there than with the sorcerers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom