• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushishi Zoku Sho 16

A weak episode by Mushishi standards. The animation was not as confident as it usually is, with some notably unpolished art, and the story was rather diffuse and not especially impactful. Even so, the sequence where the girl's consciousness was drifting away was remarkably atmospheric, relying heavily on faded snatches of visuals that the show doesn't do often.

Mushishi Zoku Sho 17

This, on the other hand, was a strong episode by Mushishi standards. The animation was very good throughout, especially with the remarkably delicate thread animation. The theme of people who can see mushi being ostracized by those who can't is old hat for the series, but the particular spin woven here gave the story unique color and life. Like many of the best Mushishi stories, the interaction between the supernatural and the natural as manifest through the interactions of ordinary people makes for a tale at once strange and familiar, making the themes of family estrangement and the difficulties of childrearing feel fresh.

It's also nice to see that Hiroaki Sakurai (and next episode Akitaro Daichi) came by to help Nagahama out and take a little of the weight of storyboarding responsibilities off him. Nagahama cut his directing teeth under Daichi (who Sakurai is also close to), so it's good to see those historical connections still bearing fruit.

MSMrRound

C50Pd-hWUAAwHiu.jpg

Almost time.

duckroll

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1703/01/news089.html

Tatsunoko Pro's full CG crossover TV anime "Infini-T Force" will air this October. It features an Avengers style team-up of Gatchaman, Polymer, Tekkaman, and Casshern. The series is produced by leading CG studio Digital Frontier.

Director: Kiyotaka Suzuki
Series Composition: Toshiya Ono
Character Concept Design: Oh! Great
Hero Concept Design: Keiichi Sato
Suits and Mechanical Design: Koji Nakakita
Animation Production: Digital Frontier

Monthly reminder:

Well, looks like people were more interested in a Fall 2017 trip to Japan, so here's some updated details if anybody else is interested:

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 41-44.

Going for 8-13 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late April 2017.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which will no longer have the giant Gundam statue, but there's other interesting stuff there as well)
Other things you want to check out

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Check out the deer in Nara
Uji (The city shown in Sound! Euphonium)
Daytrip to Hiroshima
KyoAni Do event
Other things you want to check out

Here's pictures from the Fall 2015 K-On GAF Japan trip we did (only the Tokyo part):
https://goo.gl/photos/qse3Yre9mQjqQdWE8

Oh, and we also met up with other people from GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108613

People who's shown interest:

Theonik
image.php

Line_HTX
image.php

Fatal Futanari
image.php

PshycoNinja
image.php

RurouniZel
image.php

PdotMichael
image.php

zswordsman
image.php

BGBW
image.php

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

-

phaze

You're really burning straight through these last few episodes, aren't you?

Yeah, got some time off and the show itself picked up significantly for me in this last stretch.

----

Think some people here liked the manga so they'll be happy to hear that Koi wa Ameagari no You ni anime was announced. The story is basically a high school girl having a crush on Gotou tfu on some older guy that totally looks like Gotou.

Yeah, got some time off and the show itself picked up significantly for me in this last stretch.

----

Think some people here liked the manga so they'll be happy to hear that Koi wa Ameagari no You ni anime was announced. The story is basically a high school girl having a crush on Gotou tfu on some older guy that totally looks like Gotou.
I read the synopsis and my cynicism immediately made me think the author is a 45 year old divorced man

I read the synopsis and my cynicism immediately made me think the author is a 45 year old divorced man

Lmao, yeh that could be pretty bad.

That said, I won't judge until I've seen some of it. I figure a Koi Kaze synopsis would read like grade-a anime crap but it turned out to be really good.

Let's see if this handles a difficult topic well enough.

Szadek

I'm trying to watch the last remaining Cardcaptor Sakura epsiodes today.
Watched 3 already, only 9 left to go.
The movie will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

Most likely it will. I wouldn't expect it to release until a while after the issues in Japan are sorted out.
Yea I guess so :/ the average time for a home video release here is 16 months, hopefully it doesn't make it release much later. I remember gangsta did not get it's time frame affected even when it was delayed in Japan. But the situation is different here.

I guess that gives funimation time to dub and re-release the previous 4 seasons.

I'm trying to watch the last remaining Cardcaptor Sakura epsiodes today.
Watched 3 already, only 9 left to go.
The movie will probably have to wait until tomorrow.

Man I wish I could rewatch Cardcaptor blind once again...easily one of my favorite anime experience of all time. That movie man...so good!

Clov

Yea I guess so :/ the average time for a home video release here is 16 months, hopefully it doesn't make it release much later. I remember gangsta did not get it's time frame affected even when it was delayed in Japan. But the situation is different here.

I guess that gives funimation time to dub and re-release the previous 4 seasons.

I'm not sure if I'd expect that, that's a lot of episodes to dub, making it a pretty big investment for Funimation. If the older seasons of D.Gray Man haven't done well, it wouldn't surprise me to see them toss it out sub-only (which they've been doing with a handful of titles these days).

I could see them going back and dubbing the older episodes if the new season was very successful, but who knows how well it did if it's release in Japan has been put on indefinite hold?

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep 87
AI7vew1.jpg

Natsu, can you just destroy this dude and get it over with already, Time to pummel this boring bad buy with a magic wand. Also, this king and his henchman are the worst. Talk about high and mighty.... I will smile with glee watching them lose their $hit...

DxD ep.8
IWSlJ6L.jpg

When your brother's bit(h gets involved, you know there are troubles to come. I must say, I really don't like the whole "forced arranged marriage" trope. It's always annoying to watch play out..... However, the show is pretty fun on the whole, so I'll give it a pass.

I'm not sure if I'd expect that, that's a lot of episodes to dub, making it a pretty big investment for Funimation. If the older seasons of D.Gray Man haven't done well, it wouldn't surprise me to see them toss it out sub-only (which they've been doing with a handful of titles these days).

I could see them going back and dubbing the older episodes if the new season was very successful, but who knows how well it did if it's release in Japan has been put on indefinite hold?
That would be weird though. Having episode 1-51 dubbed but not 52-103 and then having 104-116 dubbed? I mean unless hallow did bad for them, I really doubt they would do this. They are also using Hallow for some of their promotion material, so that makes me doubt a sub-only release even more.

I also really want Todd Haberkon as Allen's voice.

Clov

That would be weird though. Having episode 1-51 dubbed but not 52-103 and then having 104-116 dubbed? I mean unless hallow did bad for them, I really doubt they would do this. They are also using Hallow for some of their promotion material, so that makes me doubt a sub-only release even more.

I also really want Todd Haberkon as Allen's voice.

There's been plenty of cases before where shows have been partially dubbed, and then abandoned, only to have the rest released sub-only later on. Look at Lupin III: Part II for example, or Patlabor: The New Files. While this isn't as common for newer anime, it's far from impossible.

MSMrRound

Lmao I watched it on Saturday. Got a fucking tacky SAO paper bag and a really lazy SAO cup too.

I didn't get anything (since I couldn't watch it during Odex anime week at City Square Mall which ended on Sunday)..

...but the SAO movie was pretty good! There's a lot more weight added to the feel of the fights, which sorts of makes it seems more immersive. Personally wished that there was a bit more slice of life parts with regards to the use of the Augma.
e.g Silica's impromptu performance in the middle of the mall was amusing

Spoilers warning!

Some thoughts regarding the finale part:
seems a bit of an asspull for Yui to pull something like that out of her pocket and get everyone together, cuz screw logic! Makes for a pretty great fight with so much going around that my eyes were darting around to get an idea of what's going on

The moment when
Asuna pulls out Mother's Rosario my eyes were legit tearing up. That image of Yuuki. Whhhhhhhhyyyyy. Oh hey new weapon get! (A moment which reminds of the Excalibur arc)...and it seems OP as fuck.

The movie also gave us like three or four different forms of Sinon though, niiiice.
Give Sinon a ride on your motorbike Kirito! She's still waiting for it!

Ugh... I can't stand some of the characters Todd plays.
Wahhhhh blasphemy! Todd is awesome in all of his roles and in turn makes all his character amazing!

He is basically the voice of Natsu for me. I ain't having none of his japanese voice.
There's been plenty of cases before where shows have been partially dubbed, and then abandoned, only to have the rest released sub-only later on. Look at Lupin III: Part II for example, or Patlabor: The New Files. While this isn't as common for newer anime, it's far from impossible.
It's going to get dubbed I tell you! I believe!

Clov

Wahhhhh blasphemy! Todd is awesome in all of his roles and in turn makes all his character amazing!

He is basically the voice of Natsu for me. I ain't having none of his japanese voice.

It's going to get dubbed I tell you! I believe!

If Hallow did well for them, there's definitely a chance. Just don't be too shocked if it isn't.

Thud

Lion King 19

Hmm that's the bus going to Threed huh.

Three eps left in this nursing middle aged men back to health anime.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.46
Well, that was something....

While the fight was pretty cool, this story is out of control and off the rails. No, I never read the manga, nor will I ever, but this is just.... uggh. Maybe once it's done I'll change my mind on how I feel about it but all these power-ups and de-power-ups and twists and turns and not a new boss appears with a few episodes left..... This is all too much at the moment. But hey, at least the worst antagonist of the year has finally been put down to rest... Oh, wait, I'm sure he will be back because the same thing happened to Rokuro about 15 episodes ago and he lived, right?

Clov

I remember people telling me that the Italian DVD masters of Sailor Moon were a lot better than what we got over here, but I didn't realize just how much better they are. Really puts Viz and Toei's shoddy work on the remaster into perspective.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail ep.88
QCTVVwC.png

Whelp, the battle/arc rages on. It's been like a full cour plus of this arc, but I'm not complaining when it's this entertaining. Looks like we're back to more a$$-pull victories from the badguys again next episode. Oh well, they have to keep the arc going somehow! BTW, this bad guy reminds me of Aladin, lol.

Andrew J.

Maidragon 08

Elma seems kinda normal, but I suppose it's nice to have a dragon straight man around in addition to Kobayashi.

Poor Shota can't win.

I really doubt they are gonna keep the same pacing and I'm pretty sure they are going to reach that point. It's the only natural ending point for a 2 cour show.

I dunno, I think ending at the end of Stain stuff is a pretty natural ending point. They'd have to speed up the pacing drastically to get past that as well

I dunno, I think ending at the end of Stain stuff is a pretty natural ending point. They'd have to speed up the pacing drastically to get past that as well
If they add anime original stuff and add too whats already there I could *maybe* see it end at Stain, but the pace would have to be really slow to end there.

I mean they adapted 2 and a half manga in 13 for season 1. I doubt they will adapt 3 and half manga in 26.

Cornbread78

Dennou Coil ep.22
veRmcT2.jpg

The Coil stuff is finally starting to come to light as things heat up. These new antagonists are pure scum from the outside and I can't believe they keep letting their pet in everywhere. The big
corporate conspiracy
stuff is starting to come to light as well. This is getting good regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom