• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2017 |OT| John Wick cleaning up KyoAni's mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

Kemono Friends 8: The parts of this episode that were just idols doing idol things were very bad but the parts about the gay cat girl who is an idol buta and gets her own idol harem at the end were very good. Also that part where Serval just pushes that one penguin out of the tree was funny.

duckroll

I'm not a fan. SAO is kind of the golden standard of flash over substance. Like, Kirito is suppsoed to be parrying all of the boss' slashes here, but you never actually see the swords connect or any real weight behind the attacks. lol

Have you ever played an MMO? Looks legit to me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Have you ever played an MMO? Looks legit to me.

j8Q62M0.gif

Jex

[Logan]

This was super-anime. It was grim dark, with lots of violences, some over the top performances, and little girls doing improbable things.

And more violence.

[Logan]

This was super-anime. It was grim dark, with lots of violences and little girls.

And more violence.

So The Last of Us is anime?

Too bad they can't do the real Old Man Logan with the mutant inbred Hulk family and president Red Skull.

But that last part would probably be too much biting political commentary right now

Jex

So The Last of Us is anime?

Too bad they can't do the real Old Man Logan with the mutant inbred Hulk family and president Red Skull.

But that last part would probably be too much biting political commentary right now

There's actually a weird amount of political commentary in it. It doesn't quite go far enough, but that's what I've come to expect from these superhero movies.
Probably still better than La La Land.
I haven't seen La La Land but I think you're probably right. Logan is the best X-men/superhero movie in years.

There's actually a weird amount of political commentary in it. It doesn't quite go far enough, but that's what I've come to expect from these superhero movies.

I haven't seen La La Land but I think you're probably right. Logan is the best X-men/superhero movie in years.

Better than Deadpool...?

deadpool-shock-hands-to-face.gif

Eh what can you expect. Not like superheroes - ESPECIALLY the X-Men - are commonly used as metaphors for injustice, (hehe) xenophobia and racism.

Can't wait for the Black Panther movie though.

duckroll

Deadpool really wasn't that good. I feel the same people who go nuts over Deadpool might be the same people who go nuts over John Wick. Like, okay, it's entertaining, but in the end it's really no big deal.

Jex

Deadpool really wasn't that good. I feel the same people who go nuts over Deadpool might be the same people who go nuts over John Wick. Like, okay, it's entertaining, but in the end it's really no big deal.

Wow, look at this out of nowhere Deadpool slam. Brutal.

Wow how dare you. Deadpool is the Funko Pop of Superheroes and John Wick is like the tactical and neo-noir version of movies like Commando. Its like what Fury Road is to vehicular combat and what The Raid was for brutal martial arts, but for guns.

duckroll

Wow how dare you. Deadpool is the Funko Pop of Superheroes and John Wick is like the tactical and neo-noir version of movies like Commando. Its like what Fury Road is to vehicular combat and what The Raid was for brutal martial arts, but for guns.

I was almost sold on your logic, but then I realized you failed to make a well timed name drop for Sword of the Stranger. So you failed. Sorry.

Hand Shakers Episode 4 (engdub)
tumblr_okp4g34GXO1uxybkho3_500.gif

Probably will always be my 2nd favorite episode. Tazuna had leveled up greatly and had managed to do well finally without just holding Koyori's hand, and I still love how he smiled when he got her back.

tumblr_okp4g34GXO1uxybkho5_500.gif

Uhh, well Sword of the Stranger is an evolution of sword fighting movies like Sanjuro and...Kill Bill, and it trades realism for highly stylized and kinetic swordplay thats possible via animation and...that last fight is super cool.

I dunno I haven't seen a lot of sword fighting movies outside of Kurosawa...

Hey I got this and I haven't even finished the first book yet!!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

This is some bootleg firehawking.

KraytarJ

You had a year to finish Kizu and two months to finish Bake 1! Stop being lazy.....*Continues to Ignore the Spice & Wolf Anniversary Collector's Edition on his shelf unread* go and finish Kizu!
In my defence I only started reading these things like a month ago. I've had the last few chapters of Kizu for a few weeks at this point, and if I didn't get distracted by a manga sale I'd be done it by now.
Probably.

Aki-at

Interviews With Monster Girls - 4

Hikari gave a good speech to the back chatters but... Sensei and giving out hugs like that is just inappropriate for a school teacher.

Narag

Yes! Precure 5 11

Nozomi's a good lead. Keeps the show engaging. I fear for me when I hit a precure with a bad one.

Firemind

Uhh, well Sword of the Stranger is an evolution of sword fighting movies like Sanjuro and...Kill Bill, and it trades realism for highly stylized and kinetic swordplay thats possible via animation and...that last fight is super cool.
The climax of that fight is fucking bullshit.
Nanashi was already bleeding left and right, didn't have the upper hand pretty much the entire fight and the fake Chinese guy just decides to YOLO on a 50/50 gamble.

Made me lose my respect for BONES.

Sterok

Yes! Precure 5 11

Nozomi's a good lead. Keeps the show engaging. I fear for me when I hit a precure with a bad one.

I've long considered Nozomi Yumehara to be Usagi Tsukino done right. The clumsy idiot lead that has no business leading a 5th grade group project, let alone a superhero team to save the world. Yet she has just the right balance of personal charm, charisma, care for others, and a tendency to not give up that allows her to be the center of her team. Cure Dream strikes the right balance, while Sailor Moon always leans too dumb or too perfect and powerful depending on which version it is.

Unfortunately she's also the template for all but like two of the leads that come after her. Some work out okay. Others don't strike that balance at all.

Narag

I take it you haven't watched Smile?

Just Fresh!

I've long considered Nozomi Yumehara to be Usagi Tsukino done right. The clumsy idiot lead that has no business leading a 5th grade group project, let alone a superhero team to save the world. Yet she has just the right balance of personal charm, charisma, care for others, and a tendency to not give up that allows her to be the center of her team. Cure Dream strikes the right balance, while Sailor Moon always leans too dumb or too perfect and powerful depending on which version it is.

Unfortunately she's also the template for all but like two of the leads that come after her. Some work out okay. Others don't strike that balance at all.

I'd been drawing the Usagi parallels myself which is why I've been enjoying it. Looking forward to how the others turn out!

I mean, even if you think the characters look appealing, I don't know how you can find the poor compositing aesthetically appealing. It looks like it was made using Blingee.

That's a fair point.
Well it doesnt bother me. Good character designs is all I need.

Clov

Well it doesnt bother me. Good character designs is all I need.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. Some people are just more easily satisfied than others. Not that that's necessarily bad or anything, I just personally can't imagine even making it five minutes into a show like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom