• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Well, I might not be going to see the Madoka movies after all. Paying for my ticket was supposed to be a birthday present from my sister, but apparently she purchased one for herself too.

Here's the thing: she just now looked into the movie over a month after she preordered the tickets as my early gift and she's freaking out that a.) the films are a combined four hours long and b.) "it looks like Sailor Moon scantily-clad pedophile girls" -- her words verbatim. I'll just stay home if she's going to shit up the experience for me.

/livejournal
Don't let something like that stop you, or you'll never watch anime again.

rOeYC.png

Articalys

edit: damn it, these were the December rankings, which we'd already seen. I need to start keeping a database of this stuff so I don't get mixed up...

BluWacky

Hooray, January Newtype character rankings have arrived!

Boys
2) Toriharon

Girls
3) Berin

I suppose it shouldn't be amazing that Gothicmade characters should be popular in Newtype, but that's still come as a big surprise to me.

I have found but one review in English, and it's not a particularly positive one, but I guess it'll be a long time before most people get to see it with no BD release date in sight.

sonicmj1

From the director of Fate/Zero and the acclaimed screenwriter of Ano Hana and Black Rock Shooter comes

Wandering Son 1

iBTze4ZISRUCj.png

As thematically unsubtle as Nitori's opening monologue is, his shyness and uncertainty here go really far in selling his character at this point. I sometimes found his VA performance unusually flat, though. It's the VA's first anime role, and I guess it kind of shows. In this episode, he's at turns excellent and rather alien.

Dovetailing from our previous discussion of gender politics, Wandering Son is the story of a middle school boy who wishes he was a girl, and a middle school girl who wishes she was a boy. It's an adaptation of an ongoing manga, and they make the bold decision to start somewhere in the middle of the story. It's a little disorienting, but some quality direction keeps things from feeling too hostile.

I really can't say enough positive things about the direction. Framing and body language go a long way to define every character that appears, from protagonists Nitori and Yoshino down to classmates which barely appear. For instance, the camera only showing the back of Nitori's head during the montage where he goes out in a girl's uniform captures the scope of his journey, as well as his lack of confidence.

ib2qhYHMsqsdq1.png

A subtle moment I noticed came here. When the confident girl wearing a boy's uniform acknowledges Yoshino, her friend hides behind her. That says a lot about their relationship without telling us anything, and for all I know, that piece of characterization might never really be relevant to the story of the main characters.

There's a lot to talk about here, and I'm don't really feel up to covering it all. I'm sure that Nitori and Yoshino's efforts to confidently accept the identity they feel comfortable with aren't going anywhere. This is a stunningly beautiful show, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Theonik

Hooray, January Newtype character rankings have arrived!
Boys
1) Kirito
2) Toriharon
3) Kira Yamato
4) Aladdin
5) Lelouch Lamperouge
6) Alibaba
7) Kyon
8) Rider
9) Houtarou Oreki
10) Kotetsu T. Kaburagi

Girls
1) Asuna
2) Rikka Takanashi
3) Berin
4) Morgiana
5) Saber
6) Lacus Clyne
7) Sheryl Nome
8) Eru Chitanda
9) Madoka Kaname
10) Yui Hirasawa
Poor Rider

Articalys

Well, either way I would name it by what month the magazine arrived in, not what month it was dated, but I guess I should move to the latter practice in the future? At any rate, the rankings from the newest issue of Newtype (with the Monogatari series on the cover) remain a mystery.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sakurakou 11-12:

Sakurasou_11_zps88e4463d.jpg

Something about the hair in this picture is absolutely, completely perfect! PERFECT

... :3 That went well-ish. Though I find it cheesy how people can never say their emotions. They must scream them at the top of their lungs. In public. For maximum effect, obviously.

BluWacky

I wonder if we can take it as sign the movie doing well?

I don't think so. I think we can take it as a sign that Mamoru Nagano fans read Newtype.

Box Office Mojo may not be the most accurate way of reporting Japanese grosses, but the lowest ranking film on their Japan yearly box office chart has taken $110k. As Gothicmade doesn't appear on that list, it has likely made less than that.

Of course for a film like this that's probably been shown on about 20 screens at most nationwide you're never going to take a huge amount of money. But it's been outgrossed by Strike Witches, Blood-C, and a Jewel Pet movie amongst others.

RurouniZel

Sakurasou 13:

At least Ano Natsu had a protagonist who wasn't completely fucking clueless. >_> Basically all this shit screams "We're draggin' this out for another 12 episodes, so we gotta make sure the protagonist doesn't realize shit and remains a dumbass."

Misaki still wins though. Because Misaki. Yes.

Joe Molotov

Manyuu Hiken-chou 01

I thought this show was just about :chet and selling Blu-Rays, I didn't know it was BOOB HIGHLANDER, where samurai girls decapitit each other to gain their mystical boob powers. And fortunately when they cut off another girl's boob, it just magically shrinks down to an A-cup instead of being all cut up and bloody as you might expect, which would make it harder to fap to (for some people). A good show.

OreImo - Good End

This one came as a big surprise to me...I really enjoyed this series quite a lot! This was some of the best comedy I've seen in awhile, especially being so steeped in otaku culture. Manami's family might've been one of the highlights there...absolutely hilarious. Not to mention Kyosuke and Kirino's parents :).

It was nice to see the development of the relationships between Kirino and the rest of the main cast, plus her priceless interactions with Kuroneko (whose sister was rather adorable for the whole one episode she appeared in). I enjoyed seeing her development as far starting to terms with who she was. I also liked the portrayal of the brother/sister relationship between Kirino and Kyosuke. They gave each other a lot of crap, but in the end they were still siblings and Kyosuke still cared to do what he could to help her. That kind of reminded me of my relationship with my older sister (minus the eroge :p). As for Manami
(hhhnnnnnnngg :D)
, she was certainly a highlight in her own right. Hope to see more development in her relationship with Kyosuke in the next season.

The drama in the series felt perhaps a bit forced, but I do appreciate how they approached the subject of outsider's perception of otaku culture. At least the show didn't stay focused on the dramatic elements for too long, and ended up using it for comedic purposes anyway (particularly with Ayase and Kanako).

I watched this on Crunchyroll, but I have the DVD collection coming in so I'll be able to watch the OVA's. Also looking forward to the next season :D. Really glad I finally watched this, and wish I hadn't waited so long.

Hataraki Man 1

Interesting first episode for a show about the life of a working stiff in a Magazine publications. The little cutaways to characters to give a brief monologue almost made it feel like and an Animated version of The Office with the confessional shots. Even though this episode primarily focused on Hiroko we got to see a pretty good look into the personalities of everyone in the office. Interested to see where it goes from here.

Manyuu Hiken-chou 01

I thought this show was just about :chet and selling Blu-Rays, I didn't know it was BOOB HIGHLANDER, where samurai girls decapitit each other to gain their mystical boob powers. And fortunately when they cut off another girl's boob, it just magically shrinks down to an A-cup instead of being all cut up and bloody as you might expect, which would make it harder to fap to (for some people). A good show.

Sounds like the perfect name for a direct to DVD live action version :p. This is certainly a fun show.

trejo

From the director of Fate/Zero and the acclaimed screenwriter of Ano Hana and Black Rock Shooter comes

Wandering Son 1

There's a lot to talk about here, and I'm don't really feel up to covering it all. I'm sure that Nitori and Yoshino's efforts to confidently accept the identity they feel comfortable with aren't going anywhere. This is a stunningly beautiful show, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Wandering Son is a great show and I ended up enjoying it a lot. Everyone should give it a shot regardless of whether you feel like you can relate to the material or not.

But holy hell those screens just reminded me how much I hate the way it looks. The shiny heads that look like they're made of plastic or something, the excessive bloom that makes it look like there's a nuke going off in the distance in every scene, the backgrounds that sometimes look like they just never bothered to finish, the N64-looking fog, among other things. I'm aware that the intended effect is to make everything look somewhat wispy and ethereal but instead they just made it look utterly unsavory and, honestly, kinda crap.

It absolutely is a testament to how compelling the story and characters are that I managed to power through the unsightly visual presentation and keep watching in spite of it.

Wandering Son is a great show and I ended up enjoying it a lot. Everyone should give it a shot regardless of whether you feel like you can relate to the material or not.

Absolutely agreed. This is one show that should absolutely not be missed...I was so impressed by the way it handled its subject matter. Shame that it isn't likely to have a NA disc release anytime soon, if ever.

I loved the way Wandering Son looked. It just worked for me. Also I hope people enjoy it. One of my favorite shows ever! So many feels ;_;

Sakurasou 13

I have watched already too many two cour rom coms so I knew that nothing would happen in this episode despite the end of previous episode . I can also already see
the tears of Nanami
. I wonder that how many novels they will adapt.

RurouniZel

I hate Mayonnaise period. I admit I used to love it at one point, now looking at it practically makes me nauseous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom