• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Haganai is great mindless fun. I have no idea why anybody would feel animosity towards it.
See, I don't even know if it's all that "fun".

Out of GJ, Seitokai no Ichizon (which CR is streaming now, so I guess it's technically new), and Haganai, I feel like it's a three way tie for boredom.

But, GJ already did their lesbian molestation joke, so I guess that's leading so far?

Then again, I suppose Haganai at least has the best characters (minus Yozora).

People keep using this word when talking about SAO! Crazy town!
It's true. It taps into a horrible psychology of the sadlife nerd and reinforces it.

Same with Haganai. I don't get how you can differentiate SAO and Haganai when they're basically trying to pander to the otaku audience. They're doing the same thing. Both are exploitative and destructive.
It goes beyond the harem though. I mean, there's a thin line between The Last Starfighter, The Wizard, Wargames and SAO. They are technically all teen power fantasies, but at least the three movies about nerds are all forward and outward looking. Even Jimmy, who is literally a savant at all things Nintendo, has the ultimate goal of going to "Califooooooooornia". Kirito's goal is to live in a fucking video game for the rest of his life.

firehawk, I take back what I said about SSY having shit sales/ratings because of the timeslot.

Vividred Operation registered an astounding 3.7% rating in its 25:55 (1:55 AM) timeslot. Its the highest rating ever registered on the timelslot and is an incredible number for late night anime.

Wtf is a Vividred?
There have been a few explanations already, but really it's just...
Strike Witches 3.

Well, I think it's going to be Strike Witches x Madoka, but close enough. lol

----

Sasami 2
4tzyHl.jpg

So, I take it that one of the Nisemonogatari directors is also working on this show?

Anyway, assuming that this isn't a random pull:
klC8rl.jpg

(Although I don't know why they couldn't just use the legit cover)

Then the show makes so much more sense than it did even before the long ass infodump that served as the prologue to this episode. Sasami = Janet, brother = Brad. Right?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It goes beyond the harem though. I mean, there's a thin line between The Last Starfighter, The Wizard, Wargames and SAO. They are technically all teen power fantasies, but at least the three movies about nerds are all forward and outward looking. Even Jimmy, who is literally a savant at all things Nintendo, has the ultimate goal of going to "Califooooooooornia". Kirito's goal is to live in a fucking video game for the rest of his life.

Except it isn't. I think your hatred is getting the better of you honestly and has been for the past.... long while.

Branduil

firehawk, I take back what I said about SSY having shit sales/ratings because of the timeslot.

Vividred Operation registered an astounding 3.7% rating in its 25:55 (1:55 AM) timeslot. Its the highest rating ever registered on the timelslot and is an incredible number for late night anime.

Wtf is a Vividred?

If you're going to air something at that time, it better be trash I guess.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Except it isn't. I think your hatred is getting the better of you honestly and has been for the past.... long while.
But it is. Only in this world would they go back to playing games the moment a national crisis involving games ends.

Imagine if every single plane in the sky suddenly crashed. Would anyone be willing to fly the next day?

OceanBlue

Well, its a really really shitty primetime show, if at that.

That rating's better than a noontime show or random 11pm show for example.

Okay, I see. I was going by the ratings in this Animesuki thread which has Magi at higher than 4%. I don't know whether it's a prime-time slot though, nor do I really keep up with ratings too often, so I don't really know the context of some of the information posted there.

kayos90

But it is. Only in this world would they go back to playing games the moment a national crisis involving games ends.

Imagine if every single plane in the sky suddenly crashed. Would anyone be willing to fly the next day?

Except that's not really a sound analogy though. Only one game caused that problem and since then they released a new technology the prevents such a problem.

And you avoided my point with your post. Kirito's main goal isn't to live in the virtual world. I think it's fine if you hate the show. However, blowing things out of exaggeration and saying untrue stuff is sort of.... offputting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Except that's not really a sound analogy though. Only one game caused that problem and since then they released a new technology the prevents such a problem.

And you avoided my point with your post. Kirito's main goal isn't to live in the virtual world. I think it's fine if you hate the show. However, blowing things out of exaggeration and saying untrue stuff is sort of.... offputting.
It is. That's how the character begins the series and the entire SAO arc justifies his existence. Even the stupid Batman stuff is a part of that pyschology.

kayos90

It is. That's how the character begins the series and the entire SAO arc justifies his existence. Even the stupid Batman stuff is a part of that pyschology.

But that's not how he ends up. Sure he escapes the real world and lives in the game world initially but his goal at the end isn't to live in the game world. He just acknowledges that the two worlds are both the same reality to him. That's all. If anything, his goal is to be with his waifu. Not live in the game world.

zeroshiki

Okay, I see. I was going by the ratings in this Animesuki thread which has Magi at higher than 4%. I don't know whether it's a prime-time slot though, nor do I really keep up with ratings too often, so I don't really know the context of some of the information posted there.

Magi airs in the Gundam/Code Geass timeslot of Sundays at 5:30 pm on TBS. Considering the channel involved and the timeslot, its probably the best anime timeslot there is. (One Piece, Toriko, Pretty Cure, Pokemon etc all air weekend mornings).

Legit primetime is 7-11pm everyday and no anime will ever air in that timeslot unless its, like, a movie. For reference, the last time My Neighbor Totoro was shown on TV, it aired on a Friday at 9 PM and got an incredible 18.3% rating.

Kotoura-san 2

This show is so goddamn bipolar. It may not be Higurashi-tier, but it's jarring all the same, albeit in a good way.

It's still pretty refreshing, and the fact the mood whiplashy nature of it makes a happy ending (or stopping point I suppose) possible is pretty nice. Definitely surprise of the season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But that's not how he ends up. Sure he escapes the real world and lives in the game world initially but his goal at the end isn't to live in the game world. He just acknowledges that the two worlds are both the same reality to him. That's all. If anything, his goal is to be with his waifu. Not live in the game world.
Yes, a waifu he only meets by playing a video game! Come on man!

MCD

SAO 17

Oh god...rapist glasses dude is also in the new game. And WTF, why would anyone get scared of being potentially raped in a virtual world?

PLEASE DON'T RIP MY CLOTHES

It's a fucking MMO WTF

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Haganai NEXT 02:

The club members trolling the shit out of each other - all day errday.

The, uhh, other thing - yeah, no.

OceanBlue

Magi airs in the Gundam/Code Geass timeslot of Sundays at 5:30 pm on TBS. Considering the channel involved and the timeslot, its probably the best anime timeslot there is. (One Piece, Toriko, Pretty Cure, Pokemon etc all air weekend mornings).

Legit primetime is 7-11pm everyday and no anime will ever air in that timeslot unless its, like, a movie. For reference, the last time My Neighbor Totoro was shown on TV, it aired on a Friday at 9 PM and got an incredible 18.3% rating.

Ah, okay. It seems like I mixed up terms due my ignorance about ratings and timeslots. Thanks for clearing that up.

kayos90

SAO 17

Oh god...rapist glasses dude is also in the new game. And WTF, why would anyone get scared of being potentially raped in a virtual world?

PLEASE DON'T RIP MY CLOTHES

It's a fucking MMO WTF

Wait until later.

MCD

Wait until later.

I am only watching during my study breaks so it will take at least one more week to finish this but really, I love fantasy/RPG-like settings anime and this started great.

Now I am not sure how to feel about all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom