• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

I need names sweetie.

Milk Junkies

Nqt5f.jpg

Dresden

Guys, stop making trains so filthy. They're just a means of transportation!

But for them, it's a way of life.

The days when tetsudo otaku, or hardcore train fans, were the most ridiculed of the bunch in Akihabara have gone the way of the steam locomotive thanks to a spike in female interest and increasingly visible celebrity support.

Tetsudo otaku are one of the most venerable fan varieties, with subsections that include sharyotetsu (obsessed with vehicles), noritetsu (like to ride), rosen kenkyu (study lines), toritetsu (take pictures), mokeitetsu (build models), shushutetsu (collect goods), ototetsu (record sounds), ekibentetsu (like station box lunches), jikokuhyoutetsu (analyze schedules) and ekitetsu (like stations). There is even a category called soshikitetsu for those devoted to memorializing retired trains and lines. But there were only 20,000 train otaku in Japan in 2004, spending $40 million a year on their hobbies, and many believed rarefied knowledge was a dying fashion among aged men.

Dresden

Only 20,000 huh. It's like they're likely to breed too extensively either.

No, that number grew.

On the contrary: a new “Train Boom” started in 2007, when events such as the Great Railway Expo began to capture the popular imagination, and famous folk started to openly gush about love for trains. The Nomura Research Institute has suggested the number of train otaku today might be closer to 140,000.

They're breeding~

Dresden

Well they can't literally be breeding that quickly, unless they're using fast growing clones. I assume more train nerds are just popping out of the woodwork. Weird.

Apparently that article is wrong, too.

The author of that article is a wanna be otaku--a tour guide in Akihabara for tourists. The study he is sighting (and I have a summary of) woefully under estimates the tetsudo otaku market as its focus is solely on tetsudo anime and manga. Model railroad industry estimates put the number of modelers in the millions (about 9,000,000 and 95% nine mm gauge).

The level of activity at the final Hayabusa blue train station stops, the attendance at JAM, the number of train shops in major cities indicate that the number of participants is much greater than 140,000.

Japan's model / hobby market rose 2.6% in fiscal 2007 from fiscal 2006 to 48.8 billion Yen owing to the growing popularity of model railways.

Nine million train otaku? Good lord.

Defuser

I think those are worldwide estimates. John Lassete, Pixar head, is one too.

Do you even read LN or frequent the LN boards?

I usually read TAMNI. But usually if a LN is good and words gets around I would know about it but so far I never heard of it. I need to hang around LN forums, what are the good places to hang out? I only know Bakatsuki.

Milamber

I usually read TAMNI. But usually if a LN is good and words gets around I would know about it but so far I never heard of it. I need to hang around LN forums, what are the good places to hang out? I only know Bakatsuki.

That's where I get my info, go to the forum side of it & there are tons of recommendations.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

I used to love trains as a kid. Then I had to use one to get to school everyday and they became a metal tube of disappointment. Wait this isn't anime! Time to watch JoJo and set things right.

/XX/

Trains...
That is why it isn't necessary to read anything, and just check out the vania600 (バーニア600) illustrations:

「バーニア600」のプロフィール [pixiv]
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=106414

Now I see Dresden posted that pixiv account already.

I remember when PdotMichael brought to us/linked us to such work (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33440848&postcount=913), and that makes me think that he hasn't been around this parts lately...

Jex

Is Winter 2013 the least exciting season of all time or did everyone want to get to OT4? It's just unusual that no one stepped up to make the thread.

duckroll

This trend of breaking soundtracks up and including them in the BD/DVD releases instead of selling them separately is really kinda lame: http://psycho-pass.com/bd-dvd/#v2

Psycho-Pass is doing the same thing, and the first "soundtrack" will be included with Vol2. It contains 15 tracks (lol) and 3 of the tracks have samples on the page I linked. I guess distributors are really desperate to squeeze every last drop they can out of actual disc sales.

This trend of breaking soundtracks up and including them in the BD/DVD releases instead of selling them separately is really kinda lame: http://psycho-pass.com/bd-dvd/#v2

Psycho-Pass is doing the same thing, and the first "soundtrack" will be included with Vol2. It contains 15 tracks (lol) and 3 of the tracks have samples on the page I linked. I guess distributors are really desperate to squeeze every last drop they can out of actual disc sales.

Kind of odd, isnt that a loss in CD sells for importers.

Theonik

Thats a good thing isn't it? It means quality.
It means revisionist shenanigans. You may take it as you will!

I'm not posting in any winter anime thread after this, period.

See you guys in the spring.
Nadia impressions cancelled then!

Remember when KyoAni made wholesome fun for all the family?
Remember they were KeyoAni before they were KyoAni!

I'm pretty sad that there is no actual anime for all that great Rail Wars artwork. :(
Yeah, biggest disappointment of the thread so far.

Jex

If OT4 was going to last three pages, then let it last three pages.

Give it some fucking dignity. This is worse than kayos going against the consensus thread title choice.

To be fair it's less dramatic than it may first appear. The sad reality is no one really cared to do a proper Winter thread and so this is just the result of apathy. Also, Dresden claimed he was going to make a Winter thread, but snuck in a Fall Thread anyway.

Defuser

Boooooo! It's probably cheaper this way.

Oooh new OT. That gif. Fuck that I'm still on holiday break in florida.

Funny enough space bros is the reason I went to Kennedy space center yesterday.

Off to universal today. Fuck florida. Why are tickets to amusement parks so expensive??

Kagami

What about milf enthusiasts?
Minna acts motherly so they can go with her.
She had a boyfriend who died in the war, so she also has widow-moe factor.
But the details of that are vague so you can imagine her virginal or not at your discretion.
They've tried to cover most of the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom