• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Cowboy Bebop is too overrated around these parts. By simple comparisons with modern, high-quality shows, I can easily prove that it's an inferior anime from back when the standards for what was considered good anime were much lower. It pales in comparison to BRS TV, for example. In terms of animation, the latter is much more compelling because of the use of advanced CG techniques that make the show much more immersive. BRS is also superior because of its setting, a middle-school. Because of it, we're faced with relatable situations and touching moments - things that Cowboy Bebop lacks. Besides, BRS TV has a Vocaloid OP, and Cowboy Bebop doesn't.

DTL broke me, I don't know whether I'm being trolled or not anymore.

Is...is that chibi Ritsuko? Be still my moe heart!

There is a chibi Ritsuko in the OP/ED thing.

And yes this Puchimas is dangerous stuff.

cajunator

Banned
Cowboy Bebop is too overrated around these parts. By simple comparisons with modern, high-quality shows, I can easily prove that it's an inferior anime from back when the standards for what was considered good anime were much lower. It pales in comparison to BRS TV, for example. In terms of animation, the latter is much more compelling because of the use of advanced CG techniques that make the show much more immersive. BRS is also superior because of its setting, a middle-school. Because of it, we're faced with relatable situations and touching moments - things that Cowboy Bebop lacks. Besides, BRS TV has a Vocaloid OP, and Cowboy Bebop doesn't.

Besides, Cowboy Bebop has that rough looking mechanical animation instead of the silky smooth Cg motion in BRs. Plus BRS is more colorful and super modern!

Ultimadrago

50ppp master race

Amen

One of its best qualities is how relaxed the show is. Its just like soothing soul food.
Chicken soup for the animu soul.

firstyearmiyako2fiud8.png

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Oh you!

Noirulus

Don't forget that the series composition is done by Mari Okada, who is much more talented than Bebop's Nobumoto (who went on to make other bad anime such as Wolf's Rain)

Ah yes, the most important part of a new -monogatari series airing is now avilable - Jason has begun blogging about it here: http://blogsuki.com/archives/2013/01/01/6150/
What have you done

I've never seen this blog. Now I'm gonna have to read all this Bakemonogatari related stuff.

Oh jeez
I'm shocked that you went with ANN over us.

Shocked and saddened :(
Part of that probably has to do with the pace at which this thread grows. I spent a good chunk of time trying to catch up during most of OT2 and OT3, but there were so many posts that I started skimming. The precure pictures were particularly numerous(but not off putting, really) to the point that I just had to use that as an excuse to skip and catch up.

I caught a few glances of the words "Puella" and "Madoka" here and there, but those precures just outnumbered them to a crazy degree. I was already busy with Bakemono, Joshiraku, Mushi-shi, Melancholy of Haruhi, K-On, Hyouka, Usagi Drop, etc. anyway.

This was a big year for catching up...

Mature

Now, I didn't watch BRS, but it's my understanding that it does feature macaroons. I have watched all of Cowboy Bebop and if memory serves, there are zero macaroons. This is an obvious shortcoming for Bebop-- even in it's older age.

Jex

Crest of the Stars (Sekai no Monshou)

SpRSi.jpg

Who is this mysterious maiden? I just love this shot and I actually liked the lighting in this here and the colour of blue of her hair. Any anime where the characters have nice detailed or animated hair is great in my book.
What's your name, icarus?
I'm not sure on the character designs yet. At times I actually quite like them as they have that slightly older look to them but other times I'm not sure on the facial outlines. I'd have to double check but I think that I read the show originally came out in the late nineties in Japan.
You'll know when you've watched too much anime because you won't need to check anywhere. You'll see designs and instantly recognise which decade they originate from. It's truly one of the lamest super-powers around.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Besides, Cowboy Bebop has that rough looking mechanical animation instead of the silky smooth Cg motion in BRs. Plus BRS is more colorful and super modern!

That's absolutely right. In BRS TV there's a clear distinction between action scenes and emotional scenes, because the action scenes use CG techniques. In Cowboy Bebop there's no such distinction, in a way that makes it hard to watch and the events hard to follow and understand.

cajunator

Banned
Now, I didn't watch BRS, but it's my understanding that it does feature macaroons. I have watched all of Cowboy Bebop and if memory serves, there are zero macaroons. This is an obvious shortcoming for Bebop-- even in it's older age.

Plus the devotion one character has to another in BRS is waaaay more believable than those silly relationships in Bebop. Nobody REALLY believes in those.

Jex

Part of that probably has to do with the pace at which this thread grows. I spent a good chunk of time trying to catch up during most of OT2 and OT3, but there were so many posts that I started skimming. The precure pictures were particularly numerous(but not off putting, really) to the point that I just had to use that as an excuse to skip and catch up.

I caught a few glances of the words "Puella" and "Madoka" here and there, but those precures just outnumbered them to a crazy degree. I was already busy with Bakemono, Joshiraku, Mushi-shi, Melancholy of Haruhi, K-On, Hyouka, Usagi Drop, etc. anyway.

Well it's not like we talk about it regularly/at all because it is rather 'old' at this point but it did have it's 84 page thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419458

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You'll know when you've watched too much anime because you won't need to check anywhere. You'll see designs and instantly recognise which decade they originate from. It's truly one of the lamest super-powers around.

Of course... the only super power I possess would be a lame one like that.

I also used to be able to determine what episode of a show someone was watching just by looking at a screenshot. Assuming I'd seen the entire show, that is.

BRS>>>CB because Macaroons

cajunator

Banned
hidamari sketch 8

everyone is awesome.

Glad you finally came around!

Don't know if there will be, but much like the main show she is MIA.

Really? thats too bad :(

What's your name, icarus?

I too have this silly power!
Although anime character design by decades is generally very distinctive. Very easy to tell.

Jex

Oh man, I haven't seen Trigun's opening for years

I forgot it was that boss.

ELECTRIC GUITARS ERRY DAY ERRY DAY

Fuck, that bit when the trigun logo is coming up. Amazing.

doesn't quite hold a candle to bebop but still. Man. Great show.

I think the music for Trigun's opening is what actually makes it enjoyable, without that it's not nearly as effective. I know this is clearly true for most opening, but I think it's more noticeable in the case of Trigun because the visuals aren't linked very smoothly or logically so the music is doing all the heavy lifting.
Honestly, I've always thought that Trigun had a bad OP. There's no flow to the scenes, there's no cohesion between the visuals and the piece of music, and the piece of rock music itself isn't really an interesting composition. I've always kind of wondered if there was originally supposed to be a voiced piece of music in the OP that had to be scrapped for whatever reason.
I hadn't even noticed this post! Honestly, me and MadP are just on the same wavelength.

cajunator

Banned
I just noticed that, and I don't see any iOS threads he could have posted in. This is a true mystery on our hands.

I have no idea but it looks like the last thing he posted was about not wanting to ruin me because I'm too cute. I dont think thats bannable (nor would I request him to be banned for such a silly comment anyway)
I seriously dont see anything else that would cause it. Some Lakers shit talking but thats just basketball.

Kazzy

Sounds like he started with spoilers!

Well there was those studies that indicated we probably enjoy things more as a result of being "spoiled". Something to do with the dichotomy of how we set expectations for ourselves, in relation to our actual viewing experience, though I'm not entirely convinced!

When I watched Madoka alongside the Manga UK release, I wasn't even really sure what the series was about, let alone any specific plot details. Truth be told, as much as I did enjoy (and it was excellent), much of that can be attributed to the cold viewing experience.

Damned right you should!

We are Legion!

cajunator

Banned
Madoka got very predictable after the initial shock of episode three. Plenty of people correctly guessed most of the character revelations soon after.

I seem to recall a lot of people being completely wrong.
I do remember some being shockingly correct though as you said.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Madoka wasn't that predictable. For one I didn't expect a man to abseil into an office and offer the workers energy drinks.

Jex

Madoka got very predictable after the initial shock of episode three. Plenty of people correctly guessed most of the character revelations soon after.

Certainly, although I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It's means the show set up expectations and delivered on them in a timely and effective manner.

Jex

Well there was those studies that indicated we probably enjoy things more as a result of being "spoiled". Something to do with the dichotomy of how we set expectations for ourselves, in relation to our actual viewing experience, though I'm not entirely convinced!

Well as far I know it was just a single study. I don't know if it was peer reviewed, I don't know about their sample size or there methodology - I don't think we can draw too much from a lone study. After all, there have been plenty of singular studies that covered specific topics whose findings were never subsequently replicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom