• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -4| It's not my fault!

Community's choice! What should the next numbering of the |OT| format be?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
RdopW.jpg

Crossover.

cajunator

Banned
Well as far I know it was just a single study. I don't know if it was peer reviewed, I don't know about their sample size or there methodology - I don't think we can draw too much from a lone study. After all, there have been plenty of singular studies that covered specific topics whose findings were never subsequently replicated.

It also didnt take into account that people react to spoilers in different ways. Some people are unaffected by knowing whats coming up, some people dont even want to watch/read further once they know. I tend towards the former.

Jex

Because I'm a jerk like that! :lol

actually, I just don't think their "top anime" list is all that great considering that it's probably become the internet's #1 resource for new fans.

Is that why it's perceived that newer anime fans have 'bad taste'?

cajunator

Banned
Is that why it's perceived that newer anime fans have 'bad taste'?

Thats just elitist bullshit. Newer anime fans only know what they have seen. If they had gotten into the medium earlier, they would be fans of older anime. There is still plenty of quality stuff being made today as ever.

Thats just elitist bullshit. Newer anime fans only know what they have seen. If they had gotten into the medium earlier, they would be fans of older anime. There is still plenty of quality stuff being made today as ever.

I dont know. I keep trying older anime and the anime just consistently fails to be good or impressive. So I imagine even if one had watched old anime when anime was new they would still think the anime is just bad. Only Gundam Wing and Eva seem to be anime that are equivalent to todays standards and standing the test of time, and would I be a newer anime fan since I didnt get in until like late08/09 with Naruto/Shippuden/

Jex

On the advice of Duckroll, I am requesting aid remembering an old Anime movie I watched when I was young.

It aired on a Canadian TV station called "Space", during the late 90s. I can't remember if it was dubbed or subbed.

Vague description from memory:
Most of it took place in the desert, a group of mercenaries or ex-military(at least two females in the group). They did not wear formal military wear, was sort of like Cowboy Bebop dusters and survival gear. Seems like a post-apocalyptic setting with a mix of high and low tech(akin to Nausicaa).

This small group is wandering the desert with a tank, and find this old ruined city with a giant metal tower/castle at its center. City is mostly mud huts, but get progressively more advanced the closer to the tower, with many being built out of salvaged metal.

They find this place, and after wandering into the city all hell breaks loose. Flying things from the tower attack, they are not typical machines, they look something akin to an Eva or something out of guyver. Shoot-out proceeds while they try to flee to the tower to hide.

Animation style was very close to Dominion Tank Police movies.

What it's not:
Eat Man
Spriggan
Big Wars
Crystal Triangle
Venus Wars
Desert Punk
MD Geist

Now this is a real challenge. Hmm.

cajunator

Banned
I dont know. I keep trying older anime and the anime just consistently fails to be good or impressive. So I imagine even if one had watched old anime when anime was new they would still think the anime is just bad. Only Gundam Wing and Eva seem to be anime that are equivalent to todays standards and standing the test of time, and would I be a newer anime fan since I didnt get in until like late08/09 with Naruto/Shippuden/

There has always been good and bad anime. All decades, all generations.
No time period has been unequivocally good or terrible.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Besides tastes can change over time meaning older shows that were good for their time may not appeal to today's audiences. That doesn't mean today's audience has bad taste, just different. I mean old British comedies were good in the day but when they bring back the same style in the form of Mrs Brown's Boys no one is laughing.

Kazzy

Well as far I know it was just a single study. I don't know if it was peer reviewed, I don't know about their sample size or there methodology - I don't think we can draw too much from a lone study. After all, there have been plenty of singular studies that covered specific topics whose findings were never subsequently replicated.

Of course, and studies of that ilk are likely always going to rely on conjecture to some degree anyway. Still, I think it's an interesting stance to take, particularly as the mentality regarding spoilers is almost overwhelmingly (and justifiably) negative.

Crossover.

A normal hair colour really exposes the ugliness of that (YuruYuri) uniform design.

cajunator

Banned
Besides tastes can change over time meaning older shows that were good for their time may not appeal to today's audiences. That doesn't mean today's audience has bad taste, just different. I mean old British comedies were good in the day but when they bring back the same style in the form of Mrs Brown's Boys no one is laughing.

Yeah pretty much.
Tastes change, society changes and so does what is relevant. Doesnt mean things that are now irrelevant or dated are bad. For their time they were great. Tenchi Muyo isnt so great now, but when it was one of the few pioneering harem animes it was fresh and fun. Slayers is still amazing though after all these years. So is Urusei Yatsura.

Syrinx

Girls und Panzer 1

No, Miho, strawberry shortcake is not the best. Unless you're talking about the Good Humor bars, which are fucking rad. Also, WTF sweet potato ice cream? Damn, that sounds nasty. Though sweet potato fries kick too much ass to properly put into words.

Kinda a bizarre show, though I guess a show based on high school girls and tanks was inevitably going to have some quirk and strangeness to it. Interesting reveal at the end that
they're all aboard some giant aircraft carrier
that kinda helped explain the oddness of the whole thing.

I dunno. Interesting enough premiere, I suppose.

Kazzy

Girls und Panzer 1Kinda a bizarre show, though I guess a show based on high school girls and tanks was inevitably going to have some quirk and strangeness to it.

Just go with it. It is a weird juxtaposition, but at its core it's just good fun.

Grzi

Takahiro Shikama MAD
Great stuff, dude did the best fights in SAO, some amazing Star Driver and DTB scenes and I like what little I saw of Kurokami here. Those are probably the only good parts in the entire show but it earned its spot in my backlog nonetheless. And Mr. Shikama earned his spot on my "animators to look out for" list.

Random 2012 sakuga MAD
Just because.

cajunator

Banned

Jex

On the advice of Duckroll, I am requesting aid remembering an old Anime movie I watched when I was young.
[...]

What it's not:
Eat Man
Spriggan
Big Wars
Crystal Triangle
Venus Wars
Desert Punk
MD Geist

Some thoughts:
Iria
Crusher Joe: The Ultimate Weapon Ash
Gall Force
Genesis Survivor Gaiarth
Birth

Mature

It aired on a Canadian TV station called "Space", during the late 90s. I can't remember if it was dubbed or subbed.

Vague description from memory:
Most of it took place in the desert, a group of mercenaries or ex-military(at least two females in the group). They did not wear formal military wear, was sort of like Cowboy Bebop dusters and survival gear. Seems like a post-apocalyptic setting with a mix of high and low tech(akin to Nausicaa).

This small group is wandering the desert with a tank, and find this old ruined city with a giant metal tower/castle at its center. City is mostly mud huts, but get progressively more advanced the closer to the tower, with many being built out of salvaged metal.

They find this place, and after wandering into the city all hell breaks loose. Flying things from the tower attack, they are not typical machines, they look something akin to an Eva or something out of guyver. Shoot-out proceeds while they try to flee to the tower to hide.

What it's not:
Eat Man
Spriggan
Big Wars
Crystal Triangle
Venus Wars
Desert Punk
MD Geist
Tech and setting sound a bit like Battle Angel Alita. Though Iria sounds more likely.

Syrinx

One more thing about GuP: What was up with that Student Council girl with the half-glasses? If she wants to look intimidating instead of like a total doofus, she may want to consider investing in a monocle.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
One more thing about GuP: What was up with that Student Council girl with the half-glasses? If she wants to look intimidating instead of like a total doofus, she may want to consider investing in a monocle.

The secret is
she IS a total doofus, continue watching.

cajunator

Banned
Tech and setting sound a bit like Battle Angel Alita. Though Iria sounds more likely.

Its definitely not Iria. there wasnt low tech in Iria or tanks. The closest to old tech was Fujikoro's Demapdon flying machine. There also isnt really a second female figure except the androgynous Kei.

Shakugan no Shana 07

No Kugiloli outbursts today.

Lots of backstory and I guess regular infodump happening this episode. Sure it was nice to know stuff, but nothing felt that important or really stuck with me in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom