• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I really really doubt the manga of Kids on the Slope is better than the anime because for all the flaws the anime had, it at the very least had episode 7, which is a masterpiece in terms of direction and it adapts the source material in a way that I doubt the nature of manga would be able to replicate it imo.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But you won't get to that episode until you're already invested in it. I would imagine the average anime viewer (even limiting to GAF) would be put off by Hyouka in the first episode. I know I was. It wasn't until after it finished and the accolades started rolling in that I decided to plow through it.
Well, the formula is there from the start though. Oreki is basically Japanese Sherlock right from the get go.

Does the first episode of F/Z detract from the amazing quality that follows? Episode 1 is only ONE episode. It's not like Hyouka didn't have a crap episode. I still gave Hyouka #2 on my list because I recognized what great stuff it did despite some of the crap.
Well, putting that aside, on the scale of "weebness", I just feel that F/Z requires you to go down a much deeper rabbit hole than Hyouka.

Maybe I'm wrong, since we're on GAF and we're talking about the most weeb members of GAF, but when you talk about something with visual novels and sequel/prequel series and games and whatnot, I can see why someone who just watches anime casually and doesn't give a shit (ie, refuses to post in AnimeGAF) would prefer Hyouka over F/Z.

The original doesn't have any audio. That makes the anime adaptation better by default. Even Daryl, who really didn't care for the series, knows this to be true. In the most recent episode of the Anime World Order podcast he gives it a fairly even handed review, or at least the most even handed review that he can as a robot: http://www.awopodcast.com/2013/01/an...ietnamese.html
I didn't really find them interesting at all. I would have prefer they had just been cut from the adaptation.

The anime does have one thing over the manga, at least, which is musical performances. Anyways, I don't feel not being as good as its source material should disqualify something from the list.
I suppose if I want jazz, I'd go full hipster-snob and rewatch Treme though.
Or if you really do want the music, pick up the OST.

Man, when I think about watching the show, I'm just reminded of the random time skips and the silly misunderstandings that would make a shoujo series seem reasonable.

trejo

I said it then and I'll say it now, when your throwaway secondary love triangle is more interesting than your main characters, there's a bit of a problem.

But those other characters were pretty lame and I was relieved when their arc was over and done with.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Well, putting that aside, on the scale of "weebness", I just feel that F/Z requires you to go down a much deeper rabbit hole than Hyouka.

Maybe I'm wrong, since we're on GAF and we're talking about the most weeb members of GAF, but when you talk about something with visual novels and sequel/prequel series and games and whatnot, I can see why someone who just watches anime casually and doesn't give a shit (ie, refuses to post in AnimeGAF) would prefer Hyouka over F/Z.

Looking back on my past preferences, as a casual I wouldn't have even given Hyouka a chance, but that's just me.

Steroyd

No. I'm saying that Branduil made the point that SSY wouldn't be what it got had it been counted for a 2013 voting. I'm saying that if it's a good show, regardless of when it finished/started airing, it'll get placed relatively high. Example? Fate/Zero. Finished airing earlier part of the year yet got #2. That's all.

And I'm pointing out how Fate Zero is a different case from the norm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But those other characters were pretty lame and I was relieved when their arc was over and done with.
Oh, by no means do I think they're interesting in a vacuum. Jun's story pales in comparison to the similar story - told in absentia - found in Hyouka.
I just think by comparison, I ended up caring more about what Jun and Yurika did than what eventually happens to the main trio.

Looking back on my past preferences, as a casual I wouldn't have even given Hyouka a chance, but that's just me.
On the flip side, I know I wouldn't have given F/Z a chance if it weren't for this place. I dunno, I suppose one could go back and ask everyone in the voting thread why they chose Hyouka over F/Z and settle this once and for all. lol

Branduil

I feel like Hyouka's victory points to the growing size of AnimeGAF's community more than anything. A good 75% of Hyouka's points came from this thread, based on the list posted earlier.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
And I'm pointing out how Fate Zero is a different case from the norm.

I understand that. However, my point to Branduil doesn't hinge on its normalcy or not. I'm just stating that if the show is quality, it'll show in the votes regardless of when it aired in the year.

On the flip side, I know I wouldn't have given F/Z a chance if it weren't for this place. I dunno, I suppose one could go back and ask everyone in the voting thread why they chose Hyouka over F/Z and settle this once and for all. lol

Please do it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I feel like Hyouka's victory points to the growing size of AnimeGAF's community more than anything. A good 75% of Hyouka's points came from this thread, based on the list posted earlier.

Yeah if you just look at the differences between AnimeGAF / GAF as a whole - Jojo would have slaughtered everything.

Jojo seems like a lock to be back in the top 3 of this thing again for 2013.

Madpierrot should do a non-animegaf tally. I'd like to see how different the lists would look.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Madpierrot should do a non-animegaf tally. I'd like to see how different the lists would look.

You know, I think I'm up to this.

edit: I have the entire results for animegaf, not just the top ten, so I suppose kayos' plan would make this a hell of a lot easier.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Funny enough, the gap is actually smaller (53 vs 49) when you look at the votes for GAF in general. I'm not sure what that even means though.

Then again, without going through each ballot and seeing where people placed each show, the raw numbers themselves are kind of difficult to read anyway.

Please do it.
I don't really care that much. lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, the formula is there from the start though. Oreki is basically Japanese Sherlock right from the get go.

Oh definitely, but the context is completely different. The "Mystery of the Locked Room" is merely a catalyst to introduce the characters. "A Study in Pink" actually engages the audience on its own merits.

Jex

Well that's probably got something to do with it, but there are some people who aren't even aware this thread exists.

trejo

No wonder I thought this place used to be better in the past.

Branduil

Using a proprietary formula, I've uncovered how non-animeGAF ranked the top 10:

Code:
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 291
2. Kids on the Slope - 188
3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171
5. Space Brothers - 125
6. Girls und Panzer - 108
7. Tsuritama - 100
8. Shinsekai Yori - 96
9. Humanity Has Declined, - 78
10. K-On Movie - 73

Just as I suspected, JoJo dominated among lapsed anime fans with Watanabe's return coming in second.

kayos90

3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171
5. Space Brothers - 125
7. Tsuritama - 100
8. Shinsekai Yori - 96
10. K-On Movie - 73

Just as I suspected, JoJo dominated among lapsed anime fans with Watanabe's return coming in second.

Seriously? What the fuck?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The original doesn't have any audio. That makes the anime adaptation better by default. Even Daryl, who really didn't care for the series, knows this to be true. In the most recent episode of the Anime World Order podcast he gives it a fairly even handed review, or at least the most even handed review that he can as a robot: http://www.awopodcast.com/2013/01/a...-weathers-did-not-beat-up-any-vietnamese.html
He seemed to find it very average from what I remember of the podcast.

Haly

Seriously? What the fuck?

Why are you surprised? Through a mix of hype and nostalgia, JoJo has become the most popular anime on NeoGAF in a long time.

No one knows what the Fate series is except weeaboo pervs, so that around counts against it.

Syrinx

Code:
3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171
5. Space Brothers - 125
7. Tsuritama - 100
8. Shinsekai Yori - 96
10. K-On Movie - 73

That's kinda surprising. I thought Jojo was popular here in AnimeGAF as well. How did they (not we, I didn't vote) push it down to third?

kayos90

That's kinda surprising. I thought Jojo was popular here in AnimeGAF as well. How did they (not we, I didn't vote) push it down to third?

Cuz there are some people who watched shows other than Jojo and appreciated them a lot more than Jojo.

Haly

JoJo is a good show but not #1 material. It only made the non-Animegaf list because those people watched JoJo and nothing else.

kayos90

Why are you surprised? Through a mix of hype and nostalgia, JoJo has become the most popular anime on NeoGAF in a long time.

No one knows what the Fate series is except weeaboo pervs, so that around counts against it.

I feel like equating this to Final Fantasy VII.

JoJo is a good show but not #1 material. It only made the non-Animegaf list because those people watched JoJo and nothing else.

This makes me extremely sad and disappointed.

Nafe

Kurita

Last Friends ep.1-2
6DGwSAB.jpg
Last Friends tackles issues that afflict the current generation. Michiru's mother has brought a man back to their home and she is bullied at her workplace where she works as a beauty parlour assistant. She starts cohabiting with her boyfriend, a good young man who works at the Child Welfare Division and the only person who can give her emotional support, but ends up the victim of domestic violence and becomes fearful of love. The boyishly charming Ruka was a classmate of Michiru's in junior high school. She has performed brilliantly as a motocross racer and aims to win the national championship, but as the story progresses, a deep worry that she can neither confide in her parents or close friends grows evident. Takeru is a hair and makeup artist acquainted with Ruka. He is a good confidant to females due to his kindness and perceptiveness, and finds himself attracted to Ruka but has a phobia of sex as a result of a past trauma. The three of them become house mates and through their associations with others, gain the capacity to be positive about life.

Wow. Amazing characters. Amazing interactions. Everything seems so... real.
All the characters face radically different problems, and nearly all of them become the narrator at some point, so you always know what's on their mind. Ueno Juri as the tomboyish lesbian is great, her acting is top-notch and she's really touching. There's also my man Eita, which is slowly becoming my favorite male actor. Dude's got so much talent.
Nishikido Ryo as the jealous and violent boyfriend is scary as hell, he's nuts, he doesn't give a shit about anybody you never know what he's going to do! The guy grabbed a chair and was about to hit his girlfriend with it. WHAAAAAT!?
I'm loving it so far.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay, here are the quick-and-dirty top ten results adjusted to exclude AnimeGAF.

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - 291
3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171
5. (tie) Space Brothers, Sword Art Online - 125
7. (tie) Chihayafuru, Girls und Panzer - 108
9. (tie) Hunter x Hunter 2011, Tsuritama - 100

My math could be messed up, but this is what I ended up getting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Last Friends ep.1-2
Wow. Amazing characters. Amazing interactions. Everything seems so... real.
All the characters face radically different problems, and nearly all of them become the narrator at some point, so you always know what's on their mind. Ueno Juri as the tomboyish lesbian is great, her action is top-notch and she's really touching. There's also my man Eita, which is slowly becoming my favorite male actor. Dude's got so much talent.
Nishikido Ryo as the jealous and violent boyfriend is scary as hell, he's nuts, he doesn't give a shit about anybody you never know what he's going to do! The guy grabbed a chair and was about to hit his girlfriend with it. WHAAAAAT!?
I'm loving it so far.

With all that red string, is it even a metaphor anymore? lol

Haly

Something something broad vs niche appeal

I don't know why a show about fishing wouldn't be the most popular thing of all time.

I really don't.
Okay, here are the quick-and-dirty top ten results adjusted to exclude AnimeGAF.

3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171

You were beaten pretty badly.

Dynedom

3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171

So basically: AnimeGAF saved the top 10

edit: Just saw Branduil's extrapolation. Nvm.

Soul Eater 34

Bringing a crossbow to a infinite sword fight.

Really nice action in this episode from just about everyone expect the main characters. The whole crossbow fight was cool but who cares about the other classmates that you barely are introduced to.

3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171

SAO tying with Space Bros...
iF9Uy4aveXFSr.gif

Haly

Should have been about lightsabers and the show would be up there on the all time list.

Perhaps we could have a compromise where they fish with lightsaber fishing poles.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I don't know why a show about fishing wouldn't be the most popular thing of all time.

I really don't.

You were beaten pretty badly.

I don't think that Branduil took things that received the vast majority of their votes from non-animegaf into account. His list just reorders our top ten based on the order in which non-animegaf ranked those ten.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171

So basically AnimeGAF saved kayos from eating a hat. I wonder if he will be grateful for this.

Code:
3. Fate/Zero S2 - 175
4. Hyouka - 171
5. Space Brothers - 125
7. Tsuritama - 100
8. Shinsekai Yori - 96
10. K-On Movie - 73

That's a much better list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom