• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

People have said the
Lancelot
reveal has a lot more to it in the novels, which is exactly why everyone is so upset that they added nothing for the blu-rays.

Yeah, I am really am kind of shocked they didn't really do anything with that. It kind of does a disservice to both the character of Berserker and Saber. It's definitely my biggest problem with the ending.

Branduil

Urge to pick it back up rising...

iZmhuliBMcqkH.jpg

ibFSfDO1QPlGp.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
One of these years GAF will get it right.

This is on par with Panty and Stocking winning AOTY. In the words of one of the greatest footballers of all time - it's a disgrace, it's a fucking disgrace.

Jex

Okay, pretty good year this year. Nothing disgusting in the top 10.

I'm kind of shocked that From the New World is so high.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Like the animegaf list, the only thing I find questionable is Kids on the Slope. I can see why someone would vote for the other ones.

Also, KyoAni sandwich with #1 and #10. Whee.

(I think I do hate GAF for not watching Polar Bear Cafe though. :p)

Branduil

Okay, pretty good year this year. Nothing disgusting in the top 10.

I'm kind of shocked that From the New World is so high.

#8 is high?

I think a lot of people voted for it this year because even if it has a great ending it's going to have a hard time making the list next year as most people will have forgotten it by then.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
#8 is high?

I think a lot of people voted for it this year because even if it has a great ending it's going to have a hard time making the list next year as most people will have forgotten it by then.

Why? If it's good then it won't be forgotten. Do you see what the #2 anime is on that list? Fate/Zero.

Quite frankly I'm actually surprised as to why F/Z didn't blow out everyone. It's far and away probably the most popular show this year in America.

I blame GAF users that didn't vote.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is this the first year that AnimeGAF and NeoGAF have had the same top ten? I guess we're finally the majority now.

Chooney got shut out, which is all that matters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Quite frankly I'm actually surprised as to why F/Z didn't blow out everyone. It's far and away probably the most popular show this year in America.

Hyouka is much broader and more accessible.

Is this the first year that AnimeGAF and NeoGAF have had the same top ten? I guess we're finally the majority now.

Chooney got shut out, which is all that matters.
The order is different, I think?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just wanna publicly thank cajunator for giving me an awesome gift. :) Dude you are incredible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go back to tsun tsun mode.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

America as a whole has bad taste in anime. Many of them still watch Naruto/Bleach/One Piece.
Hyouka is much broader and more accessible.

I would argue it's less accessible, since it goes against our (the West's) definition of a "mystery" story.

It only won because enough of us have good taste to drown out those with bad taste.

Jex

#8 is high?

I doubt people are voting that strategically, they probably just enjoyed it. I'd consider 8 out of 126 titles to be quite high, yes.

Branduil

Like the animegaf list, the only thing I find questionable is Kids on the Slope. I can see why someone would vote for the other ones.

Also, KyoAni sandwich with #1 and #10. Whee.

(I think I do hate GAF for not watching Polar Bear Cafe though. :p)

What do you have against Jazz?

Haly

We aren't talking about taste.

And we aren't a microcosm of the American population, a lot of us here actually have taste.

It's the same reason why dudebro shooters don't win GOTY's when they are some of the most popular games being played.

kayos90

Here you go. Look at this.

AnimeGAF
Code:
1. Hyouka - 448
2. Fate/Zero S2 - 395
3. Tsuritama - 317
4. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 276

NeoGAF
Code:
1. Hyouka	- 619
2. Fate/Zero 2nd Season - 570
3. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure	- 567
4. Tsuritama - 417

Jarmel

Banned
And we aren't a microcosm of the American population, a lot of us here actually have taste.

It's the same reason why dudebro shooters don't win GOTY's when they are some of the most popular games being played.

Are we actually getting into a taste argument?

MGS4 won GOTY on GAF and there are plenty of questionable picks on the gaming side. Popularity does make a huge difference when it comes to polls.

Steroyd

Why? If it's good then it won't be forgotten. Do you see what the #2 anime is on that list? Fate/Zero.

Fate Zero had a 1 season break during the winter season, because the second half was in Spring it was "easier" to consider it a 2012 title because of this.

Not that that's an out and out excuse, but it does happen to shows in winter now and again that had started in the year prior.

Nafe

Smile PreCure!

Episode 48

gSq0Ndi.png

It's the last episode... :(

For the finale I have to admit that the actual battle was really disappointing as nothing much really happens there. A lot of the actual artwork in the episode I thought was well done though. While the crying probably went on a bit longer than it should have I did get caught up in the drama a bit as I think it reflected my feelings towards the show as a whole. I really enjoyed the show and the characters and it was a sad realization that it was all coming to an end. Maybe not the best ending but I think I'm happy with it overall as it conveyed the sort of feelings I thought it might.

Regarding Candy
I personally figured there was a good chance that she would return given the more lighthearted nature of the show and that it was aimed more for children.

It's also true that in the end
maybe not that much technically happened or seemed to have changed. The girls got over their despair and saved Marchenland but there really wasn't any big fanfare shown over that. It seemed to focus more on the girls and their friendship along with the mascots.

Smile PreCure!

I wound up really really liking this show personally. It was one of the shows that I knew I could look forward to every week and have a good time and it would lighten up my spirits. Even some of the episodes that aren't as high quality I still had a good time with. Watching the last episode I sort of felt right there with the girls in that I didn't want to say goodbye and I didn't want the show to end. I liked all the girls and pop and even candy wasn't too bad and kind of cute most of the time. All the baddies were okay but I preferred Joker and Wolfrun the best. Even silly little things like rock paper scissors with Yayoi most weeks I'm going to miss. I suppose there is the home release of the movie to watch or the girls will get cameos in those PreCure crossover type movies and I can see them again there. I'm going to really miss the show though.

Like Miyuki says though, even with tears in your eyes you should say goodbye with a smile. Goodbye for now girls, goodbye Smile PreCure!

Owutitn.png

---

I also like how you wouldn't even know that there was a final costume upgrade in the episode because the Princess Forms are already so fucking garish and busy that it would be impossible to spot the differences at first glance, especially with Smile's obsession with pouring buckets of bloom on everything any time someone powers up.

Yeah, I noticed that. I also don't know how much people payed attention to the end cards of the show but I mentioned in my impressions of Reika's character focused episode near the end that they looked different. Near the end of my write up under the spoilers or you can look at Yayoi's end card here.

I like how nobody laments the fact that we won't have any more of Reika being perfect or whatever.

I will!! Bunch of Reika haters here...

At least I think Instro liked her as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would argue it's less accessible, since it goes against our (the West's) definition of a "mystery" story.
It reaffirms it though. It calls out all the western mystery novels that the author of the series has obviously read.

How so? I can see people making a case for Hyouka being better and see myself concede. However, I can't see Hyoukra being much broader and accessible honestly.
Even forgetting all the Fate franchise stuff that I don't know anything about, that first episode is seared into my mind as one of the most interminable episodes of television that I've ever seen.

What do you have against Jazz?
Nothing. By all accounts, it's a shit adaptation since people seem to agree that the source material is better than this version of the story.

I said it then and I'll say it now, when your throwaway secondary love triangle is more interesting than your main characters, there's a bit of a problem.

jgminto

I bet Duckroll has something to do with this travesty against Jojo. Him and his hatred of democracy! I bet he put his own quote on Fate/Zero just to mock me!

kayos90

Fate Zero had a 1 season break during the winter season, because the second half was in Spring it was "easier" to consider it a 2012 title because of this.

Not that that's an out and out excuse, but it does happen to shows in winter now and again that had started in the year prior.

No. I'm saying that Branduil made the point that SSY wouldn't be what it got had it been counted for a 2013 voting. I'm saying that if it's a good show, regardless of when it finished/started airing, it'll get placed relatively high. Example? Fate/Zero. Finished airing earlier part of the year yet got #2. That's all.

Articalys

In other news, animated bunny girls make for good novel sales.
Japanese publisher Kadokawa Shoten has revealed that weekly sales of Tarō Tatsunoko and Amanoyū's Mondaiji tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru soudesuyo? light novel series have increased four-fold since the anime adaptation premiered in Japan this month. According to the publisher, sales in the first week of the show's airing more than doubled the previous week's sales. In the following week, the series had more than quadrupled the sales volume it had in the week before the anime began airing. The fourth episode of the anime will premiere in Japan on Friday.

The first six volumes now have 850,000 copies in circulation, and Kadokawa Shoten has ordered more printings.

Haly

It reaffirms it though. It calls out all the western mystery novels that the author of the series has obviously read.

But you won't get to that episode until you're already invested in it. I would imagine the average anime viewer (even limiting to GAF) would be put off by Hyouka in the first episode. I know I was. It wasn't until after it finished and the accolades started rolling in that I decided to plow through it.

kayos90

Even forgetting all the Fate franchise stuff that I don't know anything about, that first episode is seared into my mind as one of the most interminable episodes of television that I've ever seen.

Does the first episode of F/Z detract from the amazing quality that follows? Episode 1 is only ONE episode. It's not like Hyouka didn't have a crap episode. I still gave Hyouka #2 on my list because I recognized what great stuff it did despite some of the crap.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile PreCure!

I wound up really really liking this show personally. It was one of the shows that I knew I could look forward to every week and have a good time and it would lighten up my spirits. Even some of the episodes that aren't as high quality I still had a good time with. Watching the last episode I sort of felt right there with the girls in that I didn't want to say goodbye and I didn't want the show to end. I liked all the girls and pop and even candy wasn't too bad and kind of cute most of the time. All the baddies were okay but I preferred Joker and Wolfrun the best. Even silly little things like rock paper scissors with Yayoi most weeks I'm going to miss. I suppose there is the home release of the movie to watch or the girls will get cameos in those PreCure crossover type movies and I can see them again there. I'm going to really miss the show though.

Like Miyuki says though, even with tears in your eyes you should say goodbye with a smile. Goodbye for now girls, goodbye Smile PreCure!
Remember, the best thing to do when saying goodbye is to smile. ;____;

Branduil

Nothing. By all accounts, it's a shit adaptation since people seem to agree that the source material is better than this version of the story.

I said it then and I'll say it now, when your throwaway secondary love triangle is more interesting than your main characters, there's a bit of a problem.

I didn't really find them interesting at all. I would have prefer they had just been cut from the adaptation.

The anime does have one thing over the manga, at least, which is musical performances. Anyways, I don't feel not being as good as its source material should disqualify something from the list.

Jex

The original doesn't have any audio. That makes the anime adaptation better by default. Even Daryl, who really didn't care for the series, knows this to be true. In the most recent episode of the Anime World Order podcast he gives it a fairly even handed review, or at least the most even handed review that he can as a robot: http://www.awopodcast.com/2013/01/a...-weathers-did-not-beat-up-any-vietnamese.html

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It's poor taste to point out my own joke, but I like that my F/Z quote got paired with duckroll's when mine has a subtle jab against the CG.

Does the first episode of F/Z detract from the amazing quality that follows? Episode 1 is only ONE episode. It's not like Hyouka didn't have a crap episode. I still gave Hyouka #2 on my list because I recognized what great stuff it did despite some of the crap.

Yes. It does. It was also the length of two episodes.

At least Hyouka's 'bad' episode wasn't at the very start or dragged itself out any further than one episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom