• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh, SAO ost is out.

Most important is this song. Kirito is gonna fuck shit up song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODYVEt-Cbcc&list=PLzOXI8rKJX1SCcDJnRTH6vIkg9_uG6UzL&index=1

Thanks Kayos!
There was a UFO in the show the whole time and no one told me!?

OreImouto 13

Best Imouto here hands down.

This show would 100% better if she was the Imouto instead of the trash that we got instead.
So I'm not the only one who has her as their favourite and not just because of the :chet.

This thread is a lot like K-ON, with the main club being 10 pages of posts about stuff, and then the Azu-nyans who post reviews of episodes they watched.
And this is why Azu-nyan is the worst K-On.

there is no good when the dudebros are underattack from government, femiism, social gaming and lack of any thing close to dudebro heaven dragonball z like games.
Preach on brothe....

i ment it as sarcasm. dont take it seriously.
It was sarcasm!? Novid is suddenly throwing curve balls! Now I don't know what to believe!

She shares my birthday? Time to reevaluate.
So you just had your birthday? Happy belated Birthday in that case!

This is pretty old news but w/e

Polar Bear's Café Anime to End This Spring

BEST OLD NEWS
Sad to see that it is ending, but great to see there will be more of it.

I actually love this season, but it's clear most of you do not.
Well we took that for granted as this is the season of lewd.

Use this extra time to start watching Polar Bear Cafe if you haven't already (same goes for everyone else btw)!
If a rapping polar bear gif didn't convince them there is no hope left for them.

I recall my Japanese teacher suggesting this to everybody in the class. Not sure how much on the merit of it using familiar grammar and/or because it looked cute. I'll try it... sometime.
He likes the terrible Japanese puns.

Shergal

What a terrible list. Why does this list not have the legit most popular kids anime in Sazae-san or even Chibi Maruko or Doraemon?

None of them are ever coming to the West because of a) money; and b) culture.

It's funny, here in Latin America we had the chance to experience Doraemon, Shin-Chan, Conan and Dr. Slump at mornings, on kids' channels. Considering the differences in culture, I still think all those are extremely accessible shows, my generation grew up watching them (among others).

But then again, we also hadthis obscure SHAFT anime, so I'd say the choices made were somewhat strange. The dub for this was glorious though, totally made the series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34JqFNCtd_Y

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The first episode bored me. But I watched that back when I still had taste.
The first two episodes (or any of the two-parters for that matter) are veritably dull. The show's strengths are not the epic narratives it tries to tell every once in a while. I suggest you at least give the episode Swarm of the Century a try, since that's more in-line with the aspects of the show that people irrevocably like (aka the character traits at their most extremes).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've been told that anime was shown on UK television back in the day but I honestly don't remember it or I assume it was before my time. Just a lot of home grown shows like Postman Pat and Captain Pugwash, the latter predating the animation techniques shown in Inferno Cop by over 30 years.

I suppose the nearest thing I watched was Mumintroll, but I always saw it as a Swedish cartoon animated in Japan much like Batman was an American cartoon animated in Japan, but apparently I wrong on that as well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first two episodes (or any of the two-parters for that matter) are veritably dull. The show's strengths are not the epic narratives it tries to tell every once in a while. I suggest you at least give the episode Swarm of the Century a try, since that's more in-line with the aspects of the show that people irrevocably like (aka the character traits at their most extremes).
Bronies vs BroCures. Fight!

Just a little message to that I'll still be there but won't be posting much during the next few weeks. :(

I'll still share my views and ask for advices though ^^

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I wish I had your conviction Flots. Good luck!
Bronies vs BroCures. Fight!
smile_precure_by_nice123456-d4xxz78.jpg
I like how everyone came to the same conclusion as I regarding which pony is which Cure. Rarity got shafted though.

Shergal

I suppose the nearest thing I watched was Mumintroll, but I always saw it as a Swedish cartoon animated in Japan much like Batman was an American cartoon animated in Japan, but apparently I wrong on that as well.

The 1990 series or the 1969 one?

Moomin seems like a pretty nice laid-back show, I am interested in seeing the 1969 version, though I don't think I will ever be able to unless I learn japanese though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Anime had a good run. Also, this means I'm totally justified in reviewing ponies again!
What needs to happen is fansubs of the japanese dub.

Your mileage may vary. I liked the s1 open and s2 close myself. It's true through that the show spends the vast majority of its time in episodic silliness.

jgminto

Perhaps, but once I drop a show I really find it difficult to pick it back up. I did the same thing with K-On! and I'll probably never return to that even though I'm watching shows similar in tone and style right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The 1990 series or the 1969 one?

Moomin seems like a pretty nice laid-back show, I am interested in seeing the 1969 version, though I don't think I will ever be able to unless I learn japanese though.

No idea as I was very young and only watched them when I was visiting family in Sweden. Probably the 90s one, but since Sweden got both versions it could have been a mix as I wouldn't be surprised if there were some old video lying around.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Perhaps, but once I drop a show I really find it difficult to pick it back up. I did the same thing with K-On! and I'll probably never return to that even though I'm watching shows similar in tone and style right now.
I've picked shows back up on multiple occasions and have been vindicated in doing so, like Futari wa Precure.

Which is still ass at first, but becomes watchable.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I picked up Lucky Stars years later after dropping it after episode one. Actually feel I benefitted from waiting since I was able to enjoy more of the humour since I got the jokes. Back in 2006 they would have flown over my head.

wonzo

Banned
Love Live! 1-3

lovelive1.jpg

This is one of those things where it's so corny and over-the-top you can't help but laugh. Add some wahjah as fuck CG to the mix and you've got easily one of the most entertaining shows of the season. Let it be known that this show owns.

sonicmj1

I'm being serious in asking this (and its a question for anyone who'd like to weigh in on an answer) but...
  1. Why was this show allowed to be made?
  2. Are the people who made it embarrassed are proud of their work?
  3. Do they realize that others think its terrible?
  4. Why is it so terrible?

Terrible? What are you talking about?

Kingdom 32

Wow this was really good, definitely going to have this on my 2013 list.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That reminds me, darkside said he's watch Love Live because of my impressions of the final episode. Hope he enjoyed it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Mouryou no Hako 3

Nope. Still not making any sense whatsoever.

When it seemed that the main girl had stopped being cray cray, the episode ends on that note and brings everything back. I guess I should be thankful for having a character like Kiba, who at the very least doesn't seem to be batshit insane yet, around.

Narag

So, they're officially bringing MLP:FiM to Japan. What makes this worth posting in the anime thread, besides the fact that half of you watch the show anyway? The fact that four of the main characters are being voiced by the four main Milky Holmes seiyuu.

Suzuko Mimori (Sherlock) -- Pinkie Pie
Sora Tokui (Nero) -- Applejack
Mikoi Sasaki (Elly) -- Rarity
Izumi Kitta (Cordelia) -- Rainbow Dash

the flutter shy thing

You're all right, googletranslate.

Terrible? What are you talking about?

I should have prefaced my original post with only making it through the first episode on my second attempt after I fell asleep on my first time do to abject boredom. It was only on my attempt to watch episode two that I realized I actually really never watch episode one. I couldn't make it through episode two because my eyes started bleeding. I wasn't sure if my retina was being damaged or if I was crying tears of blood. It just didn't seem normal. So I can't even begin to argue why DTL enjoys it because maybe it got better. Maybe the definition of the positive expression was changed and no one sent me the memo. Maybe the show is God's gift to man and I'm no longer human. Maybe it's what all the cool kids are into and I just can't relate as an old man time's left behind. To each his own ONE MILLION TIMES OVER but....

ijustcantdealwithit.gif

They answered my wish thank goodness. Hopefully funimation picks it up, been watching on their site to ensure it gets a disc release here.

Wonder if Li Mu will get some action?

I'm not asking you to defend your tastes. Please consider me a layman seeking enlightenment from a well-informed source as I ask this: Why did this happen and how is it good? Do you agree with me that the beginning of the series may have been poorly executed? Did it get dramatically better on its way to 33 or do you feel its been strong from the beginning? How do you think the makers feel about the show overall presentation? Are you satisfied with your experience thus far?

Soul Eater 01

This is a good adaptation so far. Good mix of action and a nice change in style when it calls for it. It's very stylish which makes it enjoyable to watch, Omigawa doesn't sound like a chipmunk and the music isn't bad.

It is going to be a long ride, but hopefully it'll be enjoyable.
i thought soul eater had a good dub, never tried the sub, always odd to forgo it when playing my blu rays. psychadelic soul jam best song on the ost,

/XX/

The Revolutionary Girl Utena returns:

... 同じく届いてた。めっちゃかっこいい - 少女革命ウテナ - りぶ野(id:rivfi) - Hatena Haiku
http://h.hatena.ne.jp/rivfi/243612618887823103

I like that combination of grey-scale and gold color with the reflective imprints on the outer cardboard box! Picture quality impressions can wait (not)...

One Piece - Amazon Lily +
Impel Down
+ Marineford Arcs (406-489)

Well, alright. I have a whole bunch of different feelings to share with y'all.

(...)

H0Bx9Z4.jpg

I don't have any strong feeling towards Amazon Lily (AKA the "Stop Sexualizing Luffy Arc"). While I can't say I had a blast with it, I can't say I hated it either. It was stupid and ok. I often caught myself laughing at all the Luffy's Balls antics, and it did introduce me to the awesomeness that is
Hancock. (I already knew about the character's existance and the fact that she fell for Luffy somehow, but my mind was kind of blown by her Shichibukai status.)
Still, the effects of the increasingly terrible pacing started to show up, with a couple of episodes ending up being voids of emptiness, and the excitement from Sabaody quickly quieted down.

In summary:

- Marguerite = the hawtness.
- I'm really thankful for Luffy's nakama, because
without them, only an EXTREME ADRENALINE RUSH-mode arc like Marineford is bearable with Luffy as the only Straw Hat getting on-screen time. I absolutely love everything about the way the crew was separated and the consequences of such event, but watching Amazon Lily's initial episodes (the ones before the battle, in which Luffy would only run around avoiding arrows) was an experience that I wouldn't recommend to anyone.
- Bath scene = the hawtness.
- I just love the
Willpower thing. I've said it before: it's completely stupid, but at the same time it's so awesome. So Luffy's got this... Haoshoku Haki, is it? That's awesome. So ominous.

As for the rest
of the crew and their whereabouts... I can easily separate those storylines in the "good" and "bad" groups. Although I'm sure everyone will get out of their respective new homes properly powered-up for the New World, some characters ended up in really boring situations. Nami, for example. Another Sky Island, eh? Cool. But that's that. Hm... I love a good list!

The Good:

- Zoro
getting stuck with Perona is the hottest thing ever. Fuck Kuina's clone, this is the OTP right here.
- Robin
ended up in the shittiest place possible, and one with an opressive regime, obviously. Otherwise, how would Toei fit in all the mandatory Robin rape imagery? Still, the setting is pretty interesting, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what'll happen there.
- Franky
is funny as hell, so naturally his unique setting is too. I'm more interested in seeing how Vegapunk fits into all of this than in the kid and the old man.
- Sanji
HAHAHAHAHA

The Bad:

- Nami
ended up in a mindboggingly boring place. It fits her character, though!
- Chopper
is so much stronger than Oda likes to portray him for some reason. Hopefully he'll learn to kick some ass now that's he's stuck in this hell-jungle with the bully birds.
- Usopp
got stuck with an idiot. Great.
- Brook
just wants some goddamn panties, you creeps. Could be cool, but it's just boring. At least he has battle in store, I guess.
hancock is seriously awesome dat atitude
But you're right this was a bold attempt to be done. I mean i'm actually glad oda shared the ideas he couldn't do in the manga to the anime team for them to animate those side character arcs.
Robin ended in the best place ever .. and yes nami ended in a very boring place but at least you know that she would just kick-ass even more now. i do agree with sanji and brook however. but the biggest minfuck is without a doubt zoro. can you imagine dat pairing ?

And so...

onXXwZj.jpg

Impel Down
Arc! AKA the "Oh My God Toei Just Kill Me Now Arc"! What a load of toxic waste.

(...)
One last complaint:
Magellan is a shit villain.

As for the positive points...
Everyone ditching Magellan behind without even bothering to defeat him! That was delicious. But even more delicious than that... Mr. 2. Fuuuuuuuuuck, man. I don't even know what to say. I need a moment :'(

I honestly thought Luffy would somehow manage to go in and do all his stuff by himself, but was pleasantly surprised by the old faces showing up. Hell, I even like Buggy (when he doesn't get more than 1 minute of on-screen time per episode, that is). The whole secret okama society in the middle of Impel Down was surprising and kind of a relief (at that point I was getting a bit tired of Luffy's hopelessness), and Iva being Dragon's nakama... Is something that'll probably be the cause of some interesting events down the line.

But, yeah. I believe in Oda, so I trust that I'll have fun reading through this arc in the manga.
I liked this arc . i think you've over hyped this place a little much . i mean it was every bit as dangerous and difficult than it was explained before and luffy got through it thank to some sacrifices and plenty of luck. Seeing some old faces really brought the whole arc to be more than awesome because in most cases they needed more expositions and where fitting compagnions given their attitude.
Magellan is indeed not good. A good hability but no charisma.

In the end, though, all that matters is:

enMvP3T.jpg

Marineford Arc, AKA the "Everyone is Insanely Overpowered Arc". Oda goes "You think Enel was a pain in the ass? Oh, little child, c'mere a second and I'll show you something amazing."

Goddamn.

(...)

It was awesome. It's not my favorite arc - Enies Lobby still holds that title -, but it probably would be had I started it without knowing its biggest twist beforehand. I'm guessing things will slow down a lot until the final final arc now, because holy shit, but I'm still looking forward to what comes next.
Especially Luffy's and Ace's detailed backstory and the time skip stuff. I love time skips.

Also, I haven't forgotten, Oda. The WTF lingers on.

It was an arc we clearly needed.Some arcs made it hard to show properly what levels they were and this one was the perfect escuse. i remember the excitment every week during this arc looking at what the heck would happen during the next chapter.
it was suposed to be a clash and we got it ..so in that aspect everything was delivered perfectly.

Did you see just what firepower they put on the table ? dat is incredible indeed.
Ps: nobody forgot and seeing what oda did with laboon , but bet you'll get your answer when you 'll least expect it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I once was told it looked like I wasn't doing any work and just browsing the web. Apparently they didn't realise I was on my lunchbreak, which is an hour long whereas the consumption of food only takes a fraction of that. Since then nothing.

sonicmj1

Mouryou no Hako 3

I thought I'd have to pay attention to box metaphors, but I guess I can just assume now that everything is a box. This show is going to end Men In Black style by zooming out until the entire universe is a box.

isSxv0yBe06f5.jpg

I mean, sure, this is a big-ass box. That's obvious enough.

The cast continues to expand gradually. More mysteries appear, overlapping themselves with the ones we're already familiar with. The man from the very beginning appears again, as mysterious as he was before. There's the sense that somehow, everything is proceeding according to a plan, but it's hard to tell to what end.

i5bvKiVdG60lG.jpg

But the house is also a box! Even a man can become a box! It's boxes all the way down!

I wish I could speculate about things, but I'm so deep in the dark that I don't know where to begin. But it still feels like one or two firm answers to the questions posed so far could start to unravel everything else, which is good.

The way flashbacks were handled in this episode was bizarre. Considering so much happens in and around the hospital at different times, and that there are flashbacks nestled inside other flashbacks, I found myself rather disoriented.

So the ransom note came before Kanako disappeared? Why?

It's still a very interesting show, I just wish some leads started appearing.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Dude got one-shotted in the manga. Him being a legit nuisance in the anime was jarring as hell.

Anyway, love reading your impressions. And yeah, you should probably just read the manga at this point.

That already sounds like a huge improvement over anime
Impel Down.

but the biggest minfuck is without a doubt zoro. can you imagine dat pairing ?

It's perfect.

I liked this arc . i think you've over hyped this place a little much . i mean it was every bit as dangerous and difficult than it was explained before and luffy got through it thank to some sacrifices and plenty of luck. Seeing some old faces really brought the whole arc to be more than awesome because in most cases they needed more expositions and where fitting compagnions given their attitude.
Magellan is indeed not good. A good hability but no charisma.

I think I did. My biggest problem with it wasn't related to what Luffy got through, but mostly with how much stupid filler crap no one cares about they managed to cram in those episodes. I mean,
did they really need to spend 5 episodes running and defeating random soldiers on their way back? Did they really need to spread the Iva x sadomasochistic girl conflict over 3 episodes?
At one point I actually started thinking they were doing a 1 episode = 0.5 chapter adaptation.

Ps: nobody forgot and seeing what oda did with laboon , but bet you'll get your answer when you 'll least expect it.

That's lot
Laboon I'm talking about, though. Those are the things that show up randomly in the final scene of the episode they leave Thriller Bark, vaguely mentioned ominously by the narrator... Unless they are somehow related to Laboon and that's what you're talking about. Huh.

Mouryou no Hako 3

So the ransom note came before Kanako disappeared? Why?

To me it seemed like
her sister or whatever was the one preparing the letter to be sent, as if she was the kidnapper. Otherwise, she would already be in shock, and not react when Kiba showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom