• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw it as a Swedish cartoon because I saw it in Sweden. You think I was looking up the facts at four years of age? Besides, the books were originally written in Swedish so I could technically say language wise it was a Swedish cartoon. ;)

But it doesn't matter because it is apparently considered Japanese rather than a BAS outsourced to Japan situation

Well yeah. It was written by Finnish Swedish person (small minority in Finland from the years of Swedish rule) so the books were indeed in swedish originally. Just wanted to correct you as I am a Finn and Moomin is pretty big deal here =D. Damn I watched all those episodes probably at last three times as a kid...

Theonik

Can anyone recommend me some good anime movies? The only one I've seen are Spritied Away, Strong World (and the other OP movies), and Disappearance of Haruhi.
Whisper of the Heart
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Wings of Honneamise
Laws of Eternity
Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro
The first few all have US BD releases.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm enjoying idomaster for what it's worth. there are definitely annoying bits overall it's surprisingly fun.

Shergal

I can't believe they made a movie for k-on. Actually, i believe it. I just don't want to believe it.

And a damn good movie too.

Also, if we're talking movies, Mind Game is a must watch. I liked Space Show too, it feels like a japanese 2D Pixar film.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
All this crossover art...
94zSG0Q.jpg
QvcTKI1.jpg
It's fabulous. And it will get more fabulous once pixiv fully accepts the pony apocalypse.
I don't like the look of the ponies at all. I only got through 3 episodes before I bailed.
You only say this because you haven't been introduced to the concept of human ponies.

Syrinx

I'm enjoying idomaster for what it's worth. there are definitely annoying bits overall it's surprisingly fun.

My biggest problem after idolm@ster 1 is that I really don't know any of their names right now. They introduced them so rapidly, and there's so many of them.

OceanBlue

My biggest problem after idolm@ster 1 is that I really don't know any of their names right now. They introduced them so rapidly, and there's so many of them.
It took me a couple of episodes too, but I didn't find it a big deal and you do learn them eventually. I think I finally memorized all of their names around episode five or six, lol. Then again, having more people to discuss it with probably made it easier for me too.

I'm happy with the way they introduced everyone. To me, gradually introducing each character over a span of episodes would have made them easier to remember, but I don't think it would've been as fun to watch. There are episodes that don't involve the entire cast which help out too.

cajunator

Banned
Can anyone recommend me some good anime movies? The only one I've seen are Spritied Away, Strong World (and the other OP movies), and Disappearance of Haruhi.

Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, RedLine, MindGame, The girl Who Leapt Through Time

Hanazawa Fluttershy!

This is an excellent idea. Maybe a bit too perfect and expected.

I always look for an opportunity to post this video!!

Azumanga Daioh 7

Kimura-sensei being a creeper will never not be hilarious. :lol Love this show.

I'm glad you have finally found enlightenment :D

It's fabulous. And it will get more fabulous once pixiv fully accepts the pony apocalypse.

You only say this because you haven't been introduced to the concept of human ponies.

All of this is amazing and I love every bit.

Whoa, that's a lot of movies! Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I'll try to check them all out if I can. It's not like this season is packed with much anyway!

Syrinx

It took me a couple of episodes too, but I didn't find it a big deal and you do learn them eventually. I think I finally memorized all of their names around episode five or six, lol. Then again, having more people to discuss it with probably made it easier for me too.

I'm happy with the way they introduced everyone. To me, gradually introducing each character over a span of episodes would have made them easier to remember, but I don't think it would've been as fun to watch. There are episodes that don't involve the entire cast which help out too.

I thought about how many characters Fruits Basket had, and that I really wasn't at a loss for any of their names because of the pace at which they were introduced. I'd say now that I would have liked that for this show...but then I guess this show is about following all of them and the interactions between them for the span of the whole show.

I've been told that anime was shown on UK television back in the day but I honestly don't remember it or I assume it was before my time. Just a lot of home grown shows like Postman Pat and Captain Pugwash, the latter predating the animation techniques shown in Inferno Cop by over 30 years.

I suppose the nearest thing I watched was Mumintroll, but I always saw it as a Swedish cartoon animated in Japan much like Batman was an American cartoon animated in Japan, but apparently I wrong on that as well.

You probably don't remember, since (with the notable exception of the Cardcaptors dub that CiTV showed bits of) it was all Saturday morning stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon. And by "morning" I generally mean "during GMTV hours", alongside Power Rangers. (Indeed, CiTV still shows new Pokemon, albeit 11am on weekends)

Oh, and some wise guy tried Naruto head-to-head against Coronation Street on what was then called Jetix, which is always a bad idea.

OceanBlue

I liked K-On and can't recommend this. You'll hate the movie if you didnt like S1.
I agree with this. Plus, I feel like the movie builds on ideas that aren't really focused on until the second season. I personally can't imagine enjoying the movie as much as I did without having watched the second season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You probably don't remember, since (with the notable exception of the Cardcaptors dub that CiTV showed bits of) it was all Saturday morning stuff like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon. And by "morning" I generally mean "during GMTV hours", alongside Power Rangers. (Indeed, CiTV still shows new Pokemon, albeit 11am on weekends)

Oh, and some wise guy tried Naruto head-to-head against Coronation Street on what was then called Jetix, which is always a bad idea.

I was thinking early 80/90s or maybe even 70s. I know of Pokémon on SMTV HA HA

See I only found out about Cardcaptors on CiTV years later because at that point I was coming home at 5pm from secondary school so the only shows I ever caught a glimpse of were My Parents Are Aliens, Blue Peter and Newsround (don't worry, the rest of the thread is used to be rattling off shows they've never heard of).

I only had terrestrial back then (and still do). I was aware of the extra channels like Toonami and Fox Kids (later Jetix) has anime. I mean my friends were going on about Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z all the time.

Nafe

She shares my birthday? Time to reevaluate.

Oh, you just had your birthday on Monday? Well then, here's a belated Happy Birthday!

What next? K-On characters in the style of Nichijou?

Well, Atsushi Nishigori did the character designs for both the Gurren Lagann anime and Panty & Stocking so it's actually not really that strange to see Gurren Lagann figures in the character style of Panty & Stocking.

OceanBlue

Well, Atsushi Nishigori did the character designs for both the Gurren Lagann anime and Panty & Stocking so it's actually not really that strange to see Gurren Lagann figures in the character style of Panty & Stocking.
Didn't Nishigori also do the character designs for the iM@S anime or was he just the director? Sounds like we have been due for iM@S x Gurren Lagann type art!

Kazzy

I was thinking early 80/90s or maybe even 70s. I know of Pokémon on SMTV HA HA

Oh man, that was a thing. A real big thing. How could I forget!?

I only consider myself to be relatively new to watching anime, but other than Pokemon, I also had early exposure to Yu-Gi-Oh too. That was back when waking up at 6am was a common occurrence ( and my bar of entry was still relatively low). I seem to remember that Sky1 (Sky One, whatever!) showed a bunch of different shows, though their names escape me at this point. Other than that, Fox Kids had Digimon, right? But I never watched that, well, not beyond when CITV briefly flirted with the idea of pushing it as the new Pokemon.

On a somewhat related note, Sky are now airing Summer Wars, for those that have the means.

Ultimadrago

Whoa, that's a lot of movies! Thanks for all the recommendations everyone. I'll try to check them all out if I can. It's not like this season is packed with much anyway!

That reminds me that I have anime films still on my list of things to watch. Funnily enough, I seem to have an easier time committing focus on series than films.

So we should expect K-ON! figures based off of the art style from Tamako Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom