• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they license the 4kids version or is it the original version?

Yeah, I stand corrected: I quick search on Amazon shows plenty of US imports, but no UK DVDs. Ho hum.

[Edit] Oh you mean Yu-Gi-Oh? Hang on, let me look that up for you: they certainly were promoting a new box set, last time I was on their twitter page.

[Edit2] Welp, that was a short print run. But yeah, it seems that they've only got Bonds Beyond Time in stock direct from Amazon. Incidentally, the initial show is still pretty damn easy to come by on DVD, but the classic 4kids logo is on the box, so I'm going to guess it's censored and probably dub-only.

wonzo

Banned
I'll let you decide for yourself:

bEyhryA.jpg
You can really tell it's from the same studio behind Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan!

duckroll

Personally, I don't see anything worse in that screenshot than what seems to be standard for many/most of the shows running currently.

It's not about how the screen actually looks (it's pretty bad, but yeah lots of anime are bad), but it's also about how fucking inconsistent the same guy's face looks in the same episode:

Lol.

Zetsuen no Tempest 17

Four great minds.

Gotta say, this worked a lot better than what happened in the manga. Putting the two scenes running in parallel was good and finally solved the silly question of who is girlfriend. Finally, next week looks like it is hitting stuff that I haven't read yet, so oh boy!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Neon Genesis Evangelion] - 14

Oh, so that’s what they recovered down in the South Pole, "The Lance of Longinus". No, I still don’t know the significance yet! And “Adam”, “Dead Sea Scrolls”, all that symbolism posturing!
Anno is no Ikuhara. He's not even a Mari Okada.

Jex

[Tamako Market] - 5

TamakoMarket-2_zpsefd132e1.jpg

I shall have to join the chorus of others who feel that this week's episode of Tamako Market (hereafter refereed to as TM) was rather disappointing compared to previous outings. As other's have pointed out, Tamako is a rather boring, vapid character and there's nothing substantial about her at all. Which isn't to say that the rest of the cast is particularly interesting and engaging but they are considerably more robust than the eponymous fair maiden.

Tamako's blandness certainly saps the strength out of any storyline that attempts to revolve around her I think this episode has some fairly weak writing and direction. Despite KyoAni's lush colours and high quality animation I still found this episode to be relatively flat on the visuals front, which is kind of disappointing considering that that's what they're known for. Just in case you think I'm being overly picky, consider the scene where Midori confronts Mochizō. Just when their conversation is getting particularly heated we get a number of close-up shots of characters bodies that simply focus in on say, their arms or their legs. These shots are used to show how Midori and Mochizo are mirrors of each other, both in terms of their body language and in terms of their feelings for Tamako however that doesn't really help sell the scene because we could have picked up the same idea from a distance. In addition, bringing the camera in so close means that you completely miss the characters faces and all the facial expressions they should be displaying while having this heated conversation.

TM5_zpsc1b0045e.jpg

If this was a lesser studio I'd say they're doing that deliberately to avoid animating the face however I know that the folks of KyoAni have no trouble doing that, which means that this choice was simply a bad one.

As I mentioned above, I thought the writing was problematic too. If we leave aside the idea that Tamako is a dull girl then we can have a look at what this story was trying to be about e.g. communicating one's feelings to another. Now, Mochizō spends some amount of time looking for an outlet to communicate how he feels. Now, he finds the prefect way do that via the Bird. He goes as far as to prepare his note and have it transmitted, however this fails. The problem is really what happens next. Rather than either conquering his feelings and confronting Tamako directly or solving the problem in some other method he instead resolves to maintain the status quo. For no reason. Midori even confronts him about this and he refused to disclose his reasoning. Then Midori decides she likes Mochizō again, even though they had fought before.

The problem with all this is there's no good reason for reason why Mochizō gives up his quest for Tamako or why Midori starts to like him at the end of the episodes. It just kinds of happens because they felt like it should, but it doesn't fee authentic. The net result of this episode is: nothing.

Caesnd

It's not about how the screen actually looks (it's pretty bad, but yeah lots of anime are bad), but it's also about how fucking inconsistent the same guy's face looks in the same episode:

Lol.

Oh, ok then. Well, I haven't been following the show, but it just seems par for the course that there's a dip in quality now and then for most series. Taking it being Production I.G into context though, I guess it is a bit of a shame.

Although, thinking back about that promo art for Arise, it also really doesn't surprise me at all...

cajunator

Banned
Ha, just kidding ;). Never saw Ano Natsu. Worth watching?

Yes, it certainly is!

Spice and Wolf 1

She's naked.

Same VA as maoyuu?

The ending is cute.

Yup same VA. Theres a reason why people were jokingly calling MMY Spice and Wolf 3 (even though it turned out to be wrong) but you can still see and hear similarities.

Happy birthday trebro, you da man. I couldn't find a good cake so here's a bento:

1wLtDfp.jpg

This is fantastic!

This is the internet you know.

Don't remind me. There is THAT KIND of stuff about Haibane Renmei and Kino's journey. I thought those shows were too pure to be dirtied in such a way but...nope!
Humanity 1
My expectations 0

Cool...will add to my watch list. Bummed that it looks like it only is getting a DVD release in NA.

I know and it makes me sad. I have it sitting in my check out cart but I will not purchase it until I know for CERTAIN that its not getting a re-release. I got burned several times already by bluray re-releases and I'm getting fucking tired of it.
The only problem is that if you wait TOO long the boxset goes out of print and its too late to get it. The consumer is pretty much fucked in this situation and the companies know it.

It's the MC of Shokugeki no Soma aka Food Smut published in the Shonen Jump.
People have orgasms when they eat.

Cant they come up with an original idea?

cajunator

Banned
Shit I just realized Mitsuho's comment that got him banned was in response to me. I wasnt offended by what he said. I knew it was a joke. Although I guess Its not my fault he tried to walk that tightrope and fell off.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zetsuen no Tempest 17

What the fuck? That was pretty stupid. Still I'm glad they got the revelation out of the way. Next week should be exciting.

Galaxy Angel 1-2

1RkROC2.jpg

Pretty funny stuff, these uguu as fuck character designs are adorable AND there's Miyukichi and Yukari Tamura. This gon' be good.

Enjoy your ride
Galaxy angel is pretty good as a comedy ( except last season ) .
I'm still totally puzzled on why we got this instead of a epic sci-fi space adventure for the various transball wars ( the games plots )

madp

The Light of El Cantare
There should be a favorite mecha list for my MAL profile.

There's always the "about" section on the profile page if you want to create an informal one.

Might be a good idea to have a few extra "favorites" by genre.

Shergal

[Tamako Market] - 5
Just in case you think I'm being overly picky, consider the scene where Midori confronts Mochizō. Just when their conversation is getting particularly heated we get a number of close-up shots of characters bodies that simply focus in on say, their arms or their legs. These shots are used to show how Midori and Mochizo are mirrors of each other, both in terms of their body language and in terms of their feelings for Tamako however that doesn't really help sell the scene because we could have picked up the same idea from a distance. In addition, bringing the camera in so close means that you completely miss the characters faces and all the facial expressions they should be displaying while having this heated conversation.

I thought the problem with that scene was weak animation more than the storyboard. The director is young and new, so I agree that she's still a bit rough when it comes to things like the flow of action and the rhythm of the storyboard, but even if a bit overdone the storyboard was mostly okay for me.

I don't see the close-ups as only having the purpose you said, as they're also a way of demonstrating the characters' expressions through body language. When they focus on Mochizou's feet for example, as the sudden tension he got from Midori's pushing fades away, his standing gets progressively more relaxed. That didn't come across too well because they were barely animated, with little of the soft touch that makes Horiguchi episodes so nice to look at. Same for the hand parts, it's hard to make that storyboard work with what are almost stills.

What I did think was kind of overkill was putting a shot of the fire in the middle of the conversation. It just seemed pointless and overboard, as did some of the camera angles.

The close-ups by themselves aren't too bad, when Yamada or Takemoto do it (just picking examples from the same studio) they work wonders, obviously because they're more experienced and know to place them just right, and they also probably assign them to the right animators, since they know everybody on the place.

Tamanon

Banned
So, it seems that Gundam series in general have disappeared from most streaming services. I know Crunchyroll used to have English Gundam 00 as recently as last month and Japanese Gundam Wing.

Wonder what that's all about.

So, it seems that Gundam series in general have disappeared from most streaming services. I know Crunchyroll used to have English Gundam 00 as recently as last month and Japanese Gundam Wing.

Wonder what that's all about.

Bandai Entertainment in America left the business in 2012. Since they were the license holders guess everyone had to stop streaming via their official youtube channel and crunchyroll by dec 31 2012.

Now I guess its up to Sentai or whoever to reacquire the licenses to put them onto streaming services.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not one who usually can recognize cuts by specific animators, but some do and that has been a faithful form of knowing (credits can also help, because habitually the first on the 'key animators' list is the one with a bigger contribution made on the episode, and it goes successively from there). Trusty image-boards users, sometimes specialized magazine's articles, and lately comments made on social networks by people involved on the project, or simply colleagues that say it, have been even more accessible ways to catch that information.

Sometimes, an animator can have a so fairly distinctive trait it seems easier to place his work on; for example, on the second '.GIF' you have included on your previous post about the series in question, that kind of 'cubic' effects animation on the exploding soil/snow can practically give away those were cuts handled by YUTAPON (and, if I remember correctly, part of the character animation on that scene was worked on by Sushio).

Thanks for the info.

Psycho-Pass - Episode 16

As far as the plot goes, we're going to have to wait and see where all this leads to, but
I have to say I'm really disappointed that they decided to drag on the "what is the Sibyl System nonsense by not showing us what they were seeing even though they were both in the fucking room. Bright white light? Really? Lame! I lol'd fucking hard at Terminator-bitch though. That was.... lolz.

Yea I was not a fan of how they handled that scene either. I also think I know where this is going and if so then
the Minority Report comparison stuff might be more accurate then people would think. I can really only see two possibilities from the ending. One is that the whole system is a fraud, well that's a given anyway as the system can be changed at will. The second is that they're using humans for the Sybil system.

Tamanon

Banned
Bandai Entertainment in America left the business in 2012. Since they were the license holders guess everyone had to stop streaming via their official youtube channel and crunchyroll by dec 31 2012.

Now I guess its up to Sentai or whoever to reacquire the licenses to put them onto streaming services.

Ah, that's a shame. Hopefully Sentai picks them up, I like me a good Mecha fight now and again. Only have Wing on DVD from the series. Other than that, just Nadesico, Code Geass and Patlabor for my giant robot needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom