• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
That reminds me, is there a large contingent of people here who have seen Zeta Gundam? That's the next show on my Gundam-watching experience. My understanding is that it's supposed to be the best that Gundam has to offer but just checking.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Puchimas 30

ibwvRNX0147UjS.gif

Moral of the story: No one listens to flat chested girls.

I noticed a small mistake in yestedays Puchi gif. If you're saving them, replace is with this one.

Dresden

That reminds me, is there a large contingent of people here who have seen Zeta Gundam? That's the next show on my Gundam-watching experience. My understanding is that it's supposed to be the best that Gundam has to offer but just checking.

Turn A Gundam is the best tv gundam.

War in the Pocket is the 'best that Gundam has to offer.'

I've never seen Zeta but I've seen people shit talk it.

Narag

Turn A Gundam is the best tv gundam.

War in the Pocket is the 'best that Gundam has to offer.'

I've never seen Zeta but I've seen people shit talk it.

I think Zeta's great but has some hiccups. The later UC OVAs like 0080 as Dresden mentioned or 08th MS Team are pretty amazing though. As it stands, I prefer Turn A to everything else in the franchise.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
08th MS Team > 0080.

Hot springs > burgers.

Branduil

Humanity has Declined

Thanks for the warning. I appreciate it, however there will be a tiny irrational part of my brain that will make you responsible for any perceived disappointment.

If anything our warning will lower your expectations and thus increase your enjoyment of the following six episodes.

Theonik

@The Mitsuho incident: I have a honest to god 4chan impression in my post history. I am glad duckroll showed mercy on me or more likely didn't read it.
Seems I really dodged a bullet there.
You are lucky duckroll isn't Jexhius.

Mine is basically that.
i1TtDxvT1gVf0.png

It looks like it! Though that's still just a quarter Mecha. Gotta make it your goal to watch everything in this video. For starters!

It's kind of limiting since it only allows for five entries.
Eh, 5 is enough! I guess if you want more though the "About me" section would be good then.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kotoura-san 5

Finally an episode without any depressing stuff. The
MORI! MORI! MORI!
stuff was funny as hell, as was the gag with Kotoura and the boxes. :lol Love this show, can't wait for next week (beach episode, yesssssss).

Zeta is amazing. From what I've seen, it's the best Gundam, although that doesn't include everything. Its reputation is well deserved.

08th MS Team > 0080.

No. Absolutely not.

I like 08th MS Team, but it's no War in the Pocket.

Narag

Aura Battler Dunbine 1

2GM8OX7l.png

all dat casual racism

What in the hell? This opening episode is the kind where you wonder if the director was on drugs. Bern's voice drove me crazy until I realized he was Maximillian Jenius in Macross.

Spice & Wolf 1 -2: That looks interesting so far. Horo is aorable. As for Lawrence, he looks like a very sympathetic person. Can't wait to see bad stuff happening to them.

Horo is definetly a cat, it's pretty obvious from her way of behaving, only she has a fox tail. I don't want to hear a thing about her being a wolf. The only wolf anime is Wolf Rain

A co-worker talked to me about anime today. I pretended not to know anything about the subject.

I know that feel too. Smart move.

Spice & Wolf 1 -2: That looks interesting so far. Horo is aorable. As for Lawrence, he looks like a very sympathetic person. Can't wait to see bad stuff happening to them.

Horo is definetly a cat, it's pretty obvious from her way of behaving, only she has a fox tail. I don't want to hear a thing about her being a wolf. The only wolf anime is Wolf Rain

hum you're doing it un purpose ?..Anyway you won't be able to keep that argument the more episodes you'll watch

Mr.Jeff

Zeta is amazing. From what I've seen, it's the best Gundam, although that doesn't include everything. Its reputation is well deserved.
Does it really get better? I tried watching it after finishing the original series but I stopped less than five minutes into the first episode because the lead guy was intensely irritating me for some reason.

It might have just been down to my low attention span though...

Edit: Man, the last post. Chance of response is now negligible.

wonzo

Banned
Puchimas 29

puchimasu29.jpg

owned

No, she's a fox.

Jarmel

Banned
One thing I have to say that has been handled actually semi-well so far in Psycho-Pass has been Akane surprisingly. She has actually started to warm up to me and is starting to become a badass hopefully. The recent episode actually had some good facial animation on her.

Narag

Does it really get better? I tried watching it after finishing the original series but I stopped less than five minutes into the first episode because the lead guy was intensely irritating me for some reason.

It might have just been down to my low attention span though...

It gets way better. Kamille's just a pain in the ass early on.

Psycho Pass 16
tumblr_mhvkt6ifJW1qkchyzo1_250.gif
tumblr_mhvkt6ifJW1qkchyzo2_250.gif

Really amazing episode, sure had two things I disliked but otherwise was so worth the journey and not even what I expected. Kogami and Shogo were awesome in that whole scene sharing quotes and philosophies with one another and then hashing out their differences. Quite well done.
Though didnt expect Shogo to overwhelm Kogami that much dominating him like that, really impressive. If only weaknumori hadnt rushed in and knocked him out, gah, and even after having herself shot depressingly earlier, what even. Just because she is a main character doesn't mean she needs to steal the win. Though understandable and ultimately a minor complaint

Kagari was amazing but that whole thing left me so stunned and shocked.
To think the lady was an android all the time and will now have to put some type of enforcement on Kagari so that he keeps his mouth sealed to keep the secret hidden, assuming that he wasn't offed somehow (I hope he isn't that would totally bite) But the secret of the vault just what is it? What would make people riot, I thought it'd be a computer but now it seems like its something controversial, androids (she was one), kids? I hate not knowing

Music was really well done in this and I liked their random shots of the cityscape in one of the conversations.

Syrinx

Weekend time. Thinking of starting Spice & Wolf as well. Too tired to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena right now. Maybe later tonight when I'm done watching hockey. Anything else happy and lighthearted (is S&W even happy and lighthearted, now that I think about it?) that I should consider?

Jarmel

Banned
Psycho Pass 16
To think the lady was an adroid all the time and will now have to put some type of enforcement on Kagari so that he keeps his mouth sealed the secret hidden, assuming that he wasn't offed somehow (I hope he isn't that would totally bite)

lololol

You must not be familiar with the author.

Jarmel

Banned
Overman King Gainer- fin

iBMV053XQ5x9x.jpg

Well that's that I suppose. The best word I can use to describe the show is mediocre. It's not bad but it's certainly not good either. The major problem with the show is the monster-of-the-week format in the middle that really doesn't add much to the story and isn't interesting in any manner either. It just becomes somewhat boring after awhile when new Overmans are just randomly brought into the fray at random. Then we have the characters who really aren't developed that well especially on a backstory level. It feels at the end that the audience has a rather superficial understanding of the characters. It's somewhat annoying as you can see that a few of the characters such as Black Southern Cross probably due have some depth to them, but it's never explored in appropriate lengths. The character relationships though aren't bad, especially the ones surrounding Gainer. They're handled in a somewhat appropriate, although misleading, manner and the show is never bogged down in relationship drama. It was interesting though seeing the Anemone prototype in Cynthia. Even disregarding the physical similarities, the behavioral ones are dead similar too.

iboAoad6aJyTbf.gif

As for the soundtrack, I can't remember a single damn piece from the show except for the one they used in ep.26 at the end. It's such an utterly forgettable show. I somewhat expected this going on however I wanted to see Yoshida's work on the show and I'm also somewhat fond of Eiji Nakada. The animation itself wasn't bad and episode 14 was flat out sakuga for a good chunk of the episode. I really do love Yoshida's character designs as it brings something unique to the table and probably helped to elevate the art at times. I did find the Overman designs though to be rather uninspiring, Kawamori this is not. However ep.14 was by far the highlight of the show and kinda ruined the climax for me as nothing really lived up to it. BONES delivered the goods for once. There were some good hand-to-hand fight sequences but they're relatively short. That said, the show did rekindle my love for 2D mecha. Duckroll, you will never get me fully onboard the CG mecha train.

ibmULZ6dWxEQfh.gif

The directing and writing are by far the weak links in the chain. While the show did utilize the comedic timing appropriately, it however failed to properly capture the dramatic moments as well. There are scenes which should, and were trying to, have more of an impact and they by and large fell flat. The writing in regards to the main narrative in particular was bad as they didn't really take the time to explain a good chunk of the terminology. There's also some plot threads that the moment you hear them, you know that Tomino came up with that. One in particular that I'm thinking of, Oversense, is ripped straight out of Gundam with the Newtypes. The plot in particular was very predictable and there weren't any real surprises. The ending though was so stupid that I couldn't take it seriously. It was like watching a C-rate version of Jack Frost, which was already a B-rate horror film but a damn good one though, in kid format. There's really never any tension to the show. I do have to applaud Tomino though for actually creating a likable kid in the form of Princess Ana. The directing though is what really held this show back. It was never going to be great, but if the show had hit certain notes then it could atleast been a decent dramedy.

iea7wabLBvsGy.jpg

P.S.

I also want to quickly note how fucking awful some of the clothing designs are. Adette's clothes look like that of a stripper or a hooker. Cynthia is almost as bad with the see-through crotch and ass. She's probably underage too. Like what the fuck. Kinu Nishimura needs to be called out for this.

cajunator

Banned
Mint is is my favorite because she has those ears of mysterious origin and is voiced by Miyukichi. Too cute.

Yup.
Definitely my favorite.
Her ears even squeak!

I find it difficult to believe such bad '90s uguu designs could work well in motion even if Mitsuo Iso animated them.

I find it difficult to belive someone likes Mayaka.
We are both filthy nonbelievers!

A co-worker talked to me about anime today. I pretended not to know anything about the subject.

Hmm.
In the rare event that happens I just start gushing about it! They know anyway.

Theonik

If only. It does remind me I need to get to Ideon
I need to get to that after watching Turn A. Sorta came across it over Christmas by accident and it looks like it would be a fun thing to watch.

Hot damn, Baxinger looks fabulous.
Go to hell too, Theonik, as I can't stop watching this.
I guess it's even worse when you know you will end up seeing most of the shows in it! I blame 7th for showing it to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom