• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
The Idolm@ster Episode 14

I found out the dark secret of Idolm@ster's first opening just in time for it to be shooed out, it'd seem. I'm not sure I like it better than the first, music-wise, but it's definitely not bad. Something that I can definitely sit through, at the very least.

Anyways, it looks like this show has finally begun in earnest - with the concert over and done with, all of the idols have found success in their own ways. Expected ways, really. For instance, Yayoi is hosting some... uh, educational cooking show, I guess. And in general, their popularity has grown to the point where they need to conceal their identity when they're out in public. In short, they've come a long way since a concert in some rural town-center. This is a pretty classic underdog tale, really.

...and, of course, every classic underdog tale needs the mean spirited rivals keeping our hero(ines) down. I'm really not altogether sure how I feel about this development. While it's true that I've asked myself where the actual conflict was after more than a few episodes, one has to wonder if a Literal Eighties Cartoon Villain was the answer. Nine out of ten times you ask this question, it's usually a flat no. It doesn't help that the episode itself felt pretty hamstrung introducing Dr. Claw President Kuroi and Jupiter. The more time the episode spent building them up, the less I was enjoying it. The show has enough trouble as it is with balancing characters, adding more and having your existing cast spend at least half of it going in circles over it is not a good step to take.

I dunno, these are pretty premature judgments, in all honesty. Hopefully they go somewhere interesting with Hoggish Greedly Kuroi and Jupiter's dynamic within the show. And hopefully it isn't dragged down by what I can only imagine are their inevitable attempts to 'ruin' the idols. It wouldn't be the first time this show has surprised me.

961 is a pretty clever name, though, I'll give them that.

cajunator

Banned
Episode impressions are different from the "play by play" style ToonamiGAF partakes in. It sounds really distracting to me, but I've never been a multitasker.

True that. It does feel a bit weird.

kotoura-san 4

why am i behind on this. Why is kotoura the most hnnngtastic cute thing ever?

I dunno but I love her. She is up there with Sakura and Tsumiki and Komugi and Yayoi in the god-tier Cute range.

I mean it's okay to hate on Gurren Lagann, but how could that show turn you off GAINAX after years of stinky crap like Mahoromatic?

Mahoromatic was one of my favorite shows when I started watching anime. The character design is very adorable with her little battle maid outfit and large doe eyes. One of my favorite character designs ever.

wrong thread dude

Yeah I think its in that thread that you will get banned, as per Evilore's statements. However general displeasure with a forum change is going to happen. no admin can force everyone to just like something and we do have choices of how we want to view things. You just cant go into a thread talking about the changes and openly spam that you hate it.

yami4ct

Neither Eureka Seven or Eva really have "True" mecha, but they have so many other genre tropes they really fit there despite that. It's more that classification for lack of a better term.

Jintor

Toonami is a little different to me. You are actively choosing to wait to consume media available in other formats that has often been translated into an inferior version. It's one thing to get around to an older anime for the first time on your own terms, and another to adhere to the bizarre schedule of a nearly defunct television station.

It's a group viewing experience in real-time. I suppose you could schedule a livewatch or something but it's not the same, y'know

cajunator

Banned
hyoukamanga_zps806aea7a.png

She's absolutely right.

Who cares, Ideon already killed everyone.

Have you taken the figures out to display them yet? I wanna seeeeee

yami4ct

It's a group viewing experience in real-time. I suppose you could schedule a livewatch or something but it's not the same, y'know

Yeah, totally. There's also a dumb novelty to seeing anime on american TV. Part of it is just the oddness of it, another is the nostalgia for coming home and watching Yu Yu Hakusho and Gundam after school for me.

Smile Precure! 32

Friendship and such gives form to a new power. New power is ok I guess. Not overblown amazing as everyone becoming pegasus knights a few episodes back but I guess becoming pseudo summoners is ok.

Instro

Eh, I think you are arguing semantics here. The EVAs function as giant vehicles for fighting and exploration of the pilots that drive them supercedes whatever silly argument you wanna have regarding whether my mech is more mechanical than your android or whatever.

The essence of pizzaroll.

cajunator

Banned
The lighting in my room is absolute shite. I gotta make some space and change some bulbs if I wanna make dem Precures a good service.

I know that feeling. I wish the lighting in my room wasn't total garbage so I could take decent pics of all the lovely things in it. I try though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Smile Precure! 32

Friendship and such gives form to a new power. New power is ok I guess. Not overblown amazing as everyone becoming pegasus knights a few episodes back but I guess becoming pseudo summoners is ok.
The one big problem with Smile was that it gave the protagonists the ultimate stock footage way too early in the season. :/ I mean, beyond relying on stock footage, obviously.

The one big problem with Smile was that it gave the protagonists the ultimate stock footage way too early in the season. :/ I mean, beyond relying on stock footage, obviously.

Though, I completely expected them to reuse stock footage like no one's business. I was just let down that instead of creating more stock footage, they just edited existing ones and tossed in a new flaming animal.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo 13

This was a surprisingly poor episode, as, though somewhat predictable, it noticeably failed to logically transition from the rather meaningful narrative inferences that were filtered into the last several episodes to the subsequent developments that were found in this one, instead illuminating a disappointing reversion within numerous aspects of the established narrative, as though the conclusion of the first arc was merely an intentional attempt to portray a misdirection from the true nature of the narrative‘s progression. As such, I felt that several of the dramatic complications, aside from the immensely tedious manner with which they were introduced, were illustrated, rather than suitably complex, as a concoction of startlingly rudimentary contrivances. This, of course, wasn’t at all beneficial to the effectiveness of this episode or the foreshadowed progression of the story, as it appears to indicate the possibility that truly meaningful developments will be withheld until the conclusion of the show approaches, which, though rather expected for this particular genre and the romantic elements within, is certainly an approach to storytelling that far too heavily adheres towards the conventional constraints of a quasi-triangular romance.

Sorata’s slightly romantic dream was a nice touch, as it illustrates that
his interest in Mashiro is slowly developing
. However, one of the most disappointing elements within this episode is the stagnancy of
Sorata and Mashiro‘s inevitable romance
. Aside from Sorata’s dream towards the beginning of the episode, their previously natural progression has been partially reverted, as Sorata is
apprehensive of her slowly developing independence
; to the point where he directly
indicates a preference towards Mashiro’s older self
, which, in itself, would be a suitably complex reaction, but, rather than these subtly felt fears remaining subdued, he’s actively attempting to
constrain her ability to display meaningful growth
, which is considerably selfish. At the very least, it was a slightly more nuanced complication in their relationship, so I hope it doesn’t continue to be filtered into the narrative in a similar fashion to many of the excessively overwrought dramatics that have been increasingly strewn into several of the previous episodes.

The most compelling insight within this episode, by far, was the subtle development of Mashiro’s emotions, as she’s gradually displaying a softly-spoken maturation and a particularly satisfying desire for a heightened self-sufficiency, most effectively illustrated by her determined attempts to
cook for Sorata
. This methodical evolution was also alluded to by the thoroughly noticeable contrast in her voice’s intonation between the early portions of this episode and the latter half. I’m hoping that Ryuunosuke and Rita are provided with a slightly more significant focus as the story progresses, since their typically comedic interludes have definitely become the highlight of each episode.

Sorata was quite unlikable throughout this episode, as he’s childishly
deflecting his momentary failure and subsequent anger onto Mashiro
, which, of course, was highly inconsiderate. I did, however, love Mashiro’s closing words, in which she
emotionally reacts by clutching her chest and yelling for him to get out of her
. This moment, once again, illuminated a particularly interesting development of her emotions. As such, though I am usually intrigued by Sorata’s flawed characterization, his thoughtless tendencies were far too prevalent, as his compulsory response to
Mashiro‘s miniscule mistake displayed a distinctly selfish affectation that had seemingly been discarded as his character developed
, which, in turn, induced a sense of pointless tedium within his characterization, as though it was solely illustrated in order to heighten the dramatic nature of the story. This is indicative of rather weak execution within the narrative, and I’m hoping, though it appears somewhat unlikely, that this intermittent flaw will disappear altogether as the story proceeds, since it’s a tiresome contrivance that only serves to temporarily cripple the effectiveness of the show.

Sorata and Aoyama’s
“moment” towards the end
wasn’t effective at all, since, as usual, it was incredibly one-sided, and, above all, it illustrates a certain naivety and nearly deliberate obliviousness from
Aoyama that’s becoming needlessly repetitive and quite intrusive
. Of course, Aoyama’s involvement is highly unnecessary altogether, due especially to the
mutual feelings
between Sorata and Mashiro, but it appears increasingly possible that this exceedingly predictable dynamic will vaguely linger until the conclusion of the story arrives, unfortunately. As such, due to Aoyama’s seeming awareness of
Mashiro and Sorata’s entwined emotions
, her hopeful attempts to essentially
go on a date with him
were quite desperate, illuminating, yet again, a potentially intentional attempt to constantly delude herself into some tenuous dismissal of the thoroughly obvious, as it should have been perfectly clear that
he wasn’t viewing their momentary rendezvous as anything but a friendly obligation

Though I typically find Jin and Misaki’s relationship to be one of the most intriguing aspects of the narrative, their complicated emotions are becoming increasingly tedious and unnecessarily perplexing, particularly Jin’s altruism. I also don’t really understand what Jin is hoping to accomplish in thoughtlessly providing
Aoyama with a pair of tickets to a play
, as it only appears to be an intentional sort of motivation for
Aoyama to invite Sorata on a “date”
. Of course, that would be a considerably understandable gesture under normal circumstances, but, given that he seems to have fully perceived the
subtly flourishing romance between Sorata and Mashiro
, it solely feels as though he’s carelessly
compelling her towards further attempts to intrude on a relationship that will inevitably result in heartbreak for her

The humor, for whatever reason, has been greatly diminished in favor of repetitive and largely unconvincing dramatics, which, as expected, doesn’t exactly complement the typically enjoyable nature of the show. For example,
Sorata’s momentary berating of Mashiro
, though slightly realistic given the context, is a development that only isolates Sorata as a character that hasn’t significantly grown throughout the entire show, despite several elements of maturation that were filtered into his characterization during the latter half of the previous arc.

The stale direction was one of the weaker aspects within the episode, as, for the most part, it failed to properly convey the appropriate emotions during several sequences, save for
Mashiro and Sorata’s conversation at the end, which was impressively handled
. As such, throughout much of the episode, the interactions were poorly framed and visually uninspired. The new OP was quite enjoyable and visually interesting, as well as a slight improvement over the last, especially since it essentially solidifies the foreshadowed perception of
Mashiro and Sorata’s eventual relationship
. The ED, on the other hand, though decent, wasn’t nearly as impressive as the first.

All in all, Sakurasou disappointingly followed one of it’s best episodes with what was easily one of it’s worst. The narrative, hopefully temporarily, has deteriorated in a rather disappointing and significant fashion, due largely to the contrived and wholly unnecessary adherence towards the conventional dynamics that were present at the beginning of the story, displaying a noticeable flaw in narrative execution, wherein a plethora of narrative stagnancies and absurd complications are repetitiously filtered into the story following nearly every single meaningful development within the various relationships, particularly
Mashiro and Sorata’s
. Unfortunately, the continuously stalled nature of several threads within the narrative alludes to the considerable potential for a monotonous arc and a rushed conclusion, in which the inevitable relationship between
Mashiro and Sorata
isn’t even partially established until the very end.

space bros 45

Is it just me, or would this show be way worse if the ost was anything less than as awesome as it is atm?

Great eps though. Not too sure where this telescope lady's story is going.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Though, I completely expected them to reuse stock footage like no one's business. I was just let down that instead of creating more stock footage, they just edited existing ones and tossed in a new flaming animal.

Something odd definitely went down in production as group finishers are usually introduced in the final third of the season instead of the halfway point, not to mention they generally don't receive revisions for no discernible reason. I think that they were just desperate to tie that shitty Royal Clock into the battles in as many ways as they possibly could.

We should be far enough into the season that most people have probably finished adding/dropping shows and by now have a complete schedule (with the exception of DokiDoki, but whatever).

How many shows are you all watching on a weekly basis? If you're participating in a backlog season and watching older shows weekly, count those too.

Tamako Market
Kotoura-san
Sasami-san@Ganbaranai
Mondaijitachi ga Isekai
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Space Brothers
Magi
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Psycho-Pass
Zetsuen no Tempest
Robotics;Notes
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
From the New World
Girls Und Panzer
Bakuman S3
Little Busters

16 shows.

Whenever I catch up with the shows airing this season, I’ll be starting Neon Genesis Evangelion and Honey & Clover.

They're making an anime for Genshiken Nidaime!

As much as I loved early Genshiken, Nidaime isn’t really that similar in quality, since it’s supporting characters are much less complex and engaging than the wonderful cast that was far more involved prior to Nidaime. Still, more Genshiken is rather welcome news.

Well PoeticProse22 is watching From the New World and that Pet Kanojo something show(sorry I'm not watching it.) PoeticProse also posted impressions of the first episode of Tamako Market and seemed to like it enough not to drop it after only watching one episode.

Maybe PoeticProse started to think it was too much work to post impressions when it seemed like maybe no one was reading them? or perhaps he or she has just been too busy to post.

After writing that long-ass stretch of text I have to ask - where's PoetricProse?

I've been exceedingly busy, so i decided to completely refrain from watching anime, since it would have potentially distracted me. I’m hopelessly behind on nearly everything now though. :(

I know I know. Basically the reason I asked is because during the course of my viewing, I saw various comments, etc. on CR and other places hoping/thinking that RyujiXAmi or RyujiXMinori would be a thing. I was just making sure we didn't have any crazy people like that here, y'know? :lol

Truly disturbed individuals. Minori was easily the worst character in Toradora.

YUU > natsume > yamaken > rooster > * > haru

Haru > Natsume > Shizuku > Sasayan > You > rooster > Oshima > Shizuku’s brother > Yamaken

I really enjoy Mashiro's presence in the show. From the beginning I've liked how she acts and how she develops throughout the course of the series. On the other hand, Nanami is annoying.

That’s an understatement.

Pet Girl technically ends after 4 episodes but doesn't even have the grace to tell you that they're going to shit the bed for the next 20.

Unfortunately, this is becoming increasingly clear. The drama was easily at it’s best and most natural during the fantastic fourth episode. Many of the subsequent dramatics have been so damn contrived and tedious.

Yeah I agree. I don't know your tastes, but you may like Johannsson (check out Fordlandia and IBM 1401 - also read up on them as the albums have very interesting ideas behind them). Everyone like Richter. Blue Notebooks and 24 postcards are my favorite. He recently recomposed Vivaldi's Four Seasons and gave it a more cinematic feel (while still retaining a full orchestra). Anyways I've had almost a bottle of wine, so I'm babbling...

Time to finish off Birdy S2!!

Richter’s rendition of Four Seasons really is incredible.

Oh, hey, you are back. I missed you!

Tamako Market 2

Though it wasn’t quite as terrific as the last, this was a really good episode, as it illustrated several essential and highly interesting complexities within Midori’s development, while also touching on an abundance of separate character dynamics in a very effective manner. This episode, in particular, was excellently balanced throughout, as it never excessively lingered on a particular development or interaction, while it also, once again, allowed the supporting characters to provide the most effective and consistent perspective. Dera’s
brief narration towards the end
concluded the episode on a suitably poignant and astute note.

Midori’s characterization throughout this episode was suffused with a plethora of intriguing nuances that strongly allude to the possibility that she does, in fact,
have romantic feelings for Tamako
, which were depicted with an abundance of considerably well-implemented flourishes of emotion and nearly imperceptible expressions. In particular, I thought that the moment Midori attempted to casually, yet somewhat forcefully, compel
Tamako into an acknowledgement of who she’d be giving chocolate to
was rather effective and thoroughly revealing. The subsequent shot, in which a noticeably curious Midori
looms over Tamako
, was nicely framed, conveying several fleeting emotions with a deceptively simplistic bit of imagery. Several other moments and beautifully subtle expressions, such as
Midori’s forlorn gaze towards Tamako while filming
, along with Kanna’s final words to Midori, essentially solidified her
romantic inclinations
into a relative certainty. Though her personality doesn’t necessarily lend itself to an immensely engaging focus, her development was implemented into this episode extremely well, never appearing as unnecessary tedium.

Though indistinct and likely deceptive in nature, I’m hoping that Dera’s mention of the
prince to Tamako and his subsequent bewilderment at where a “princess” could be found
isn’t subtly foreshadowing that
Tamako would eventually be the realized conclusion
to that aspect of the story, since that would be a rather disappointing and needlessly predictable development. If romance is to eventually be filtered into the narrative, which, in itself, could be quite interesting, I’d immensely prefer an approach towards either allowing
Mochizou’s feelings for Tamako to be reciprocated or a further focus on
Midori’s potential love for her
. The
prince
, so far, is simply too tangential to warrant significantly increased involvement towards the conclusion of the story.

The characters, though quite interesting and enjoyable, remain one of the slightly weaker elements, due largely to their lack of properly established characterization. Of course, I don’t yet consider this to be a flaw, since this aspect of the narrative still possesses immense potential, as partially illustrated by the compelling focus on Midori and her individualistic inclinations throughout this episode. As such, it appears nearly inevitable that many of the characters, in time, will receive, at the very least, a heightened insight, which would partially benefit the rather simplistic nature of the story.

Following this episode, though I quite like Midori, Kanna has quickly become of the most enjoyable characters in the show, and, as such, I’m hoping that she’ll be properly developed along with the others, rather than remaining a somewhat ancillary figure within the story. Her personality, similar to Dera’s, allows for the most consistent humor. However, it seems unlikely that she’ll ever be portrayed within the story as anything more than a purely comedic entity, which is still quite satisfying, but I would definitely prefer her to be considerably more prevalent. The character interactions remain thoroughly engaging, as they often elevate mere simplicity into something exceedingly interesting, most notably displayed by the numerous complexities that were comprehensively conveyed by the smallest expressions within the various filming sequences. This aspect of the show is definitely one of it’s most impressive, as it consistently excels at illuminating a rather suitable naturalism. Of course, Dera’s presence really heightens the effectiveness of the interactions, since he’s typically involved in the best moments.

The subdued direction continues to be very effective, as it consistently complements the nature of the show. As such, this deft handling of the material has greatly illuminated the beauty of several sequences, such as the wonderfully stylistic scene in which
Midori blissfully tiptoes along with her arms outstretched
. This nearly inconsequential moment was infused with a seemingly heightened significance, due mostly to the particularly expressionistic framing throughout. Some of the most atmospheric moments throughout this episode and the last are those that involve Tamako traversing through the market, as they illuminate the distinct liveliness that inherently permeates through this relatively unique setting. The particularly similar sequence that appeared towards the beginning of this episode greatly assisted in further establishing the energetic and diverse nature of Tamako’s world.

Visually, this episode, though not quite as impressive as the first, was crafted with an exceptional attention to complementary detail. As such, the meticulous artistry within the backgrounds really accentuated a wonderfully vibrant atmosphere. Musically, this episode was great, particularly the whimsical selection that directly followed the title card, as this accompanying flourish excellently established the distinctly lighthearted and slightly romantic tone that would permeate throughout the rest of the episode. I also loved the selection that accompanied the momentary glimpse of the shopping district commercial, which was really well-directed.

All in all, though not as strong as the introductory episode, Tamako Market skillfully impressed with an episode that continues to illustrate a superb execution, particularly in it’s ability to illustrate the complexities within the setting’s relation to the characters. The approach to storytelling, especially within each isolated episode, has been considerably strong. Though it hasn’t yet proved detrimental, I do, however, hope that some sort of consistent narrative will materialize soon, since an absence of one could eventually detract from the effectiveness of the show.

Dresden

vividred operations - 06

I did drop the show back on ep2, but watched this one due to . . . hype, a certain sort of hype. It was super interesting.

The show still looks pretty good, and with the lack of Alone-related activities there's no CG either. My first impression was that this is really, really fucking dumb, but there's a method to it all, and by the end--with the boobs and the hand-drawn robots and all--I was enjoying it for more than just the super interesting qualities.

I just wish the show wasn't saddled with Takamura's pathological hatred of pants.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Lolita Anime 3

Wow... just fucking wow. This episode was so weird and off the wall, I don't know how many drugs I was supposed to be on. This is some serious LSD floor-melting "what" kind of shit going on.

1416042-WMWG8G4.jpg
1416043-1IEP0YP.jpg

At least this time, our maiden is somewhat pleasing to look at.

So anyways, Johnny Knoxville walks into a bar...

1415963-FYHCCQM.jpg
1415964-L77H301.jpg

The most exciting bar in the world
/sarcasm.
Hey, I see you have zero patrons, uh, whacha reading? Johnny appears to order a whiskey or beer... or both, and then decides to order nothing and to just take a piss instead.

1415969-TZTNPLZ.jpg
1415968-WUJYBV2.jpg

WOW, WHO KNEW!? This cruddy little hotel bar is home to a magical shitter!?

He peers into the toilet water and is transported to a new world - some nebulous, formless and gaseous psychedelic wonderland... deep inside the toilet...

iVFPkNqAFlO1l.gif

Inside he is welcomed to the party of his life where school girls dance around him and show their knickers. For some reason Lum is there. Whatever man I'm fuckin trippin on acid!

A hostess greets him, and asks his sexual preference between a voluptuous blond secret agent (like one of the girls from Dirty Pair), or a toddler in a Donald Duck diaper (don't worry, I won't post anything). He sorta hesitates, and then out of nowhere our lovely heroine Miu appears!! Thank god...

1416014-AARZ0VI.jpg
1416015-O98D6QZ.jpg

Johnny powers up (to do, uh, nothing really), while Miu guides him into the holodeck?? Miu tries to appear attractive against a dirty Brooklyn street corner, but instead of having sex in filth, the two reenact a series of classic movie parodies that include Star Wars and Jaws... among other things.

1416024-XEPN4C3.jpg
1416023-C3L9VBZ.jpg

1416033-E07YZB3.jpg
1416034-2US1OMB.jpg

They switch seamlessly from one setting to the next as if being guided along through a set of dreams. Johnny catches up with Miu (who he has been chasing through each scene), and he is finally able to caresses her albino nipples softly between his thumb and index finger as though he were carefully cracking a safe.

1416084-OB9S9EM.jpg

In the end, their bodies ascend into space, and Johnny fucks Miu into outerspace (nsfw), while this song is played in the background. Please click on both at the same time for the full effect.

Meanwhile I can only assume that Johnny is either passed out in the bathroom stall, or half dead in a dumpster outside.

New Getter Robo end

I don't really have the motivation to write up a big post about this ova series, but I did enjoy it quite a bit. Ryoma is quite the hot blooded bro. Would like to see him in a production with the energy of something like Shin Mazinger or Gurren Lagann.

Great ending too.

Saprol

Jojo's - 19
Fun times, especially
Stroheim's excessive enthusiasm for his German tech.
Shame how quickly things soured between Joseph and Caesar. :(

Kotoura-san - 05
Could use more schadenfreude.
itZHBelTBs9Xz.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom