• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Space bros ep 45

NGfgw0c.png

I'm beginning to suspect it's not a typo error but A1 actually thinks it's NAMBA not Nanba.

Smile Precure! 30

This episode we learn all about different places around the world.

I did find it funny that to signal the sounds of NYC, it had to be police sirens even if they were at the Statue of Liberty that's on an island which from what I remember, should be somewhat far away from the mainland to not actually hear sirens. Oh well.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Smile Precure! 30

This episode we learn all about different places around the world.

I did find it funny that to signal the sounds of NYC, it had to be police sirens even if they were at the Statue of Liberty that's on an island which from what I remember, should be somewhat far away from the mainland to not actually hear sirens. Oh well.

You're just breezing through this.

sonicmj1

Space bros ep 45

NGfgw0c.png

I'm beginning to suspect it's not a typo error but A1 actually thinks it's NAMBA not Nanba.

Namba is a valid way of writing that name. ん can be read as 'n' or 'm'.

20691958_ece76320c1.jpg

You can also see this in the names of major Japanese newspapers, like Yomiuri Shimbun.

cajunator

Banned
Space bros ep 45

NGfgw0c.png

That logo is so boss. It looks very similar to what NASA uses and fits well with the space agency it represents. Whoever designed that logo did a marvelous job!

edit: Ok its an official logo for the real agency. Well its still a really well designed logo XD

Dresden

jojo - 20

Mmm, that classic ED transition.

The next episode is going to be something special, in all its unmoving motion comic glory.

yami4ct

Soul Eater 01

Caught this on Toonami, so thought I'd give it a shot. Love catching anime on TV. I really, really like it. Lots of great style. It's a nice mix of great action and humor. Characters are all really fun. It takes a lot of good ideas from a show like Bleach and merges them with some personality to actually make it interesting. English dub was top notch as well. I look forward to keeping up with this.

wonzo

Banned
Space Bros 45

spacebros45.jpg

It was nice to see Sharon again and I'm certainly looking forward to
the new characters being introduced in the next episode.

Jintor

Soul Eater 01

Caught this on Toonami, so thought I'd give it a shot. Love catching anime on TV. I really, really like it. Lots of great style. It's a nice mix of great action and humor. Characters are all really fun. It takes a lot of good ideas from a show like Bleach and merges them with some personality to actually make it interesting. English dub was top notch as well. I look forward to keeping up with this.

Join us in TonamiGAF for your weekly fix!

Geneijin

This episode stood out to me even as a kid due to how different from the rest of the show it was. I was too young to appreciate the things it was attempting back then; I remember being disappointed by the lack of Digimen fighting until very late into the episode, and even then it was very brief. I should give it another try soon now that I'm less singled-minded.
The best kind of nostalgia. The only episode I remembered as a kid.

Jex

This episode doesn't just suffer from animation difficulties. Last week's episode had a much "easier" setup - it's a horror film, in a single episode form. This episode, like the weaker ones at the start of the series, covers so many different things that the team behind it have a much trickier challenge from a tonal and pacing perspective. That's not to say that the episode couldn't have been done better - it's just a tricky one to get right.

I don't disagree with your points in general, but I think it's worth noting that although some sequences didn't work, I thought there were several that did, including one of the ones that you've screencapped!

I don't wholly disagree with you. Parts of this episode worked just fine but it was hugely uneven. Yes, this episode is far more complex than last weeks episode in terms of tone, location and developments but that doesn't excuse the sloppy pacing, awkward editing and occasionally confusing direction. I didn't even mention the fact that a couple of sequences were nothing but a still shot or a brief loop of animation followed by 30 seconds of exposition - it's like they really didn't know what they wanted to do with that scene.

I didn't even mention the CG boulders being placed right next to great effects animation - what?

Compare and contrast with another series, Shigurui, which miraculously manages to maintain the same great atmosphere throughout the entire series.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Some things are best watched with a livechat. Deadman Wonderland. I'd enjoy Soul Eater by itself most likely, but it's far more fun to watch with ToonamiGAF
It's kind of like reading a sports thread in here while a match is live, except you already know the outcome. I'd be totally on board if Toonami showed something trolltastic!

yami4ct

I will join ToonamiGAF the moment F/Z or Gurren Lagann shows up. Just to join in on the fun.

I might rewatch F/Z but there's no quicker way to make me not watch toonami than to put Gurren Lagann on. I remember watching it on G4. Don't like that show, hated catching it week to week. Feels like a show that would watch better in a marathon. Still, didn't leave me with enough interest to try that and see if it was better.

Dresden

I might rewatch F/Z but there's no quicker way to make me not watch toonami than to put Gurren Lagann on. I remember watching it on G4. Don't like that show, hated catching it week to week. Feels like a show that would watch better in a marathon. Still, didn't leave me with enough interest to try that and see if it was better.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's just one of the best shows of the 00's.

Dresden is from the future, confirmed.

Oh, the things I've seen.

cajunator

Banned
Quote highlighting is disabled until later today because Evilore has to iron out some kinks or something.

Really fucking weird to read live impressions of stuff most of us already checked out years ago.

Then again, some of us are watching Sailor Moon and giving impressions of it too :D
and Im watching the original Precure which is over a decade old now (wow)

yami4ct

Some things are best watched with a livechat. Deadman Wonderland. I'd enjoy Soul Eater by itself most likely, but it's far more fun to watch with ToonamiGAF

I wouldn't have watched past the first episode of DW if not for the livechat. That show offended me on almost every level. Still, making fun of it on livechat was great.

That's because Gurren Lagann is terrible. Shockingly bad, in fact.

Also, the moment I realized the Gainax I loved was dead.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Then again, some of us are watching Sailor Moon and giving impressions of it too :D
and Im watching the original Precure which is over a decade old now (wow)
Episode impressions are different from the "play by play" style ToonamiGAF partakes in. It sounds really distracting to me, but I've never been a multitasker.

Jex

Gundam AGE 16

• Flit looks suitably troubled and distant.
  • Asemu looks like he won't be taking shit from anyone.
  • Woolf is all fucking man with those sideburns if the OP is anything to go by.
  • :lol @ Flit indoctrinating his son into this role

Looking good!
Serious question: don't you ever think your sliding down the ice towards a ravine and there's nothing that you can do to stop it?

yami4ct

Serious question: don't you ever think your sliding down the ice towards a ravine and there's nothing that you can do to stop it?

Well, he's on an upswing right now. Part 2 of Gundam age is almost good. After that, it jumps off a giant cliff. Let him enjoy the good while it lasts.

Jex

Well, he's on an upswing right now. Part 2 of Gundam age is almost good. After that, it jumps off a giant cliff. Let him enjoy the good while it lasts.

Even while it's fun for now what's the point if the by the end of the show he's left a battered and broken human being?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's because Gurren Lagann is terrible. Shockingly bad, in fact.

Also, the moment I realized the Gainax I loved was dead.
How can we agree on so many things but disagree on this type of fundamentals? I both hate you and love you, Kuwabara.
P.S. You were kinda right about Moffat and Who.

Jex

From the New World:20

Not sure how to feel about this episode. I think I liked it more than last week's, but it was far more inconsistent. The odd directing and bad editing reared it's ugly head again. You can really tell this is based on a book. Lots of things that would work better on the page than on the screen. It's quite obvious they're squeezing a ton a content into a small space. The story is going to fascinating places. Just really loving this week to week.

Biggest problem with episode 20? The CG rocks. Ick.

With all due respect, you're completely nuts! Wacky. Bananas. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom