• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Saw Otomo's short and also Morita's one last year at the Annecy Anime Film Festival (and chatted with both), on a big screen, and yes, it looks really great. Morita's cel-shading, especially regarding facial animation, is way better than what he delivered with Freedom. Impressive. And the Otomo short is a technical masterpiece.

Can't wait to watch the other shorts.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
[Toradora]

It's not the plot contrivances themselves that I particularly have a problem with; it's more the resulting shifts that they seem to usher in. The characters never really felt well developed, and more often than not, a big set-piece moment usually dictated how everyone would act. It wasn't so much the characters dictating the plot, as it was, the plot dictating the characters. In that respect, they seemingly had no agency over their actions. Maybe that is a little reductive of me, but when the basis of your show is almost exclusively on the close-knit relationships of your core protagonists, I want to believe that they interactions are genuine. I mean, that's what we're here for, right? A suspension of disbelief within our fiction? At almost every turn Toradora was breaking that immersion, and I was viewing the plot developments in simple binary terms.

I think you summed up my issue with ToraDora more eloquently than I ever could.

cajunator

Banned
Our anime club was awesome.
All the original members left though.
Used to watch stuff like Gundam, Harlock, GTO, Cromartie high School, NukuNuku, gunsmith Cats, Cowboy Bebop, Yakitate Japan...

Futari Wa Precure 36

The
guardian of the stones is still in the birdcage
, but he has a plan. He is only guarded by two stupid zakennas,
so he distracts them and escapes from the cage and jumps out the window towards the forest
. The Zakennas go after him and the most powerful of the three villains helps track him down. However, Nagisa and Honoka catch wind of the escape via Porun's future telepathy, and they meet him in the forest. However the villain captures
the guardian
and Porun. the Precure manage to stave off the villain and rescue Porun, but as the enemy retreats
the guardian
is swept away with them. Oh well now they have to start all over again finding him. At least stuff is happening now.

Milamber

You went to a Kino's today also? I picked up another copy of Kaoru Mori and filled my points card for a free Mini Danbo (plain version). A good day.

dqIK2Gd.jpg

Shergal

Hyouka 4 (Rewatch)

Brainstorming time! The premise of this episode sounds like it would be impossible to make it work: Four people go into a house and talk about stuff for 20 minutes.
Fortunately, that's no problem for a show like this, and it even contributes perfectly to what I think they were trying to get at with the series. Props to Animation DO's Eisaku Kawanami and Kayo Hikiyama for helming the episode.
Again, the highlight of little details and the minuteness with which everything in the world of Hyouka is depicted complement the whacky stylish brainstorming parts perfectly. This episode we had some neat cycling sakuga and a nice shot of Chitanda's "Yamato Nadeshiko" side when she is making the rice balls. But I think the prize of this episode goes to the background art.

It looks and feels really dignified for the whole episode, that's something I appreciate since not even most Kyoani shows can consistently deliver such great art (compare with Chuu2 for an example), let alone the majority of TV anime. Here in Hyouka they feel like they belong on a feature film most of the time.

Such good backgrounds are given enough room to shine, and it really establishes a sense of place, especially in Chitanda's house.

The amount of different parts of the house that got focus is really big, and we actually get to see a good part of Chitanda's house which makes the impression that it's fucking big very close. Reminds me of those times when we got to hang out in a really big country house one friend has, they captured that feeling of a gigantic house very well (although my friend's house isn't at all traditional nor Japanese and so that aspect was a bit lost on me).

The nice visual depictions of the brainstorming are back in full force this time. Something I liked about this was that the visuals got progressively less abstract and more human-like (in terms of closeness to the "real-life" design of the anime) as the events were getting more and more clear and concise. From Chitanda's stick figures to Oreki's full humans and backgrounds, it made for a nice progression. Regarding those last "visuals", they were pretty overdramatized, what with the shots of students with the fire as BG, or the back of Sekitani Jun as he was "walking out" of the school.
vJq4VdM.jpg

I really liked this shot for some reason. Would that be a glimpse into the library woman from next episode? Ha.

Hyouka's first arc is around the climax point by this time, and taking into account the three episodes it spans, it's by this point the most "serious" the show has gotten. Most people seem to think it's the worst arc, but personally I preferred it to the film arc when it aired. Let's see if my view changes with this rewatch.

Kambing

Ok, my google skills have failed me...

I know we had that AOTY thread and Fate Zero and Hyouka were in the top 5. I can find Fate Zero on CR, but for the life of me, i can't seem to find where i can watch hyouka. Can you guys tell me where? Its not in the OP's schedule or in the "countdown for shows" link. I really want to watch it >.<

EDIT: Go figure lol, the person above me posts about hyouka

madp

The Light of El Cantare

I know we had that AOTY thread and Fate Zero and Hyouka were in the top 5. I can find Fate Zero on CR, but for the life of me, i can't seem to find where i can watch hyouka. Can you guys tell me where? Its not in the OP's schedule or in the "countdown for shows" link. I really want to watch it >.<

It was never licensed for English-language streaming by anyone. Madness, I know.

Shergal

You'll have to use dirty methods to watch Hyouka. It's the only way.

Shergal

Vividred 8

YES. This is what this show should be about. Completely ridiculous but absolutely badass and cool.

Hope they can bring some good animators again for the finale or something.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Heartcatch PreCure

Episode 1

Just in this first episode alone one could fill up a file folder of all kinds of different reaction shots and faces.(This is also making me want to bump Doremi up my watch list.)
See Hito? There's no reason why people can't enjoy both!
It is kind of interesting how in this shows ending the girls actually start out in their school uniforms, then they are in casual clothes and then finally in their PreCure outfits.
Gotta sell dem clothes man.

Dragoshi1

Master of Epic: The Animation Age

Completed in one sitting, massive parody of RPG and MMO tropes, and it had me in stitches multiple times.

It's based on the MMO of the same name, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have an English release, I saw some gameplay and it looked pretty fun.

Now to catch up on Boku wa Tomodachi NEXT.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 09

These are some very ugly animated and looking townspeople. Which is silly cause they looked fine in earlier shots.

Beginning was meh, but the big grand speech in the middle was nicely done.

Branduil

They're using some kind of line-weighting shaders to make the CGI look more hand-drawn. It reminds me of the CGI in Time of Eve.

The designs look really good in the slower shots, but I think during the quicker action the designs are so busy that it's not going to look as appealing as well-done traditional animation. Simplicity isn't always a sin.

duckroll

They're using some kind of line-weighting shaders to make the CGI look more hand-drawn. It reminds me of the CGI in Time of Eve.

The designs look really good in the slower shots, but I think during the quicker action the designs are so busy that it's not going to look as appealing as well-done traditional animation. Simplicity isn't always a sin.

Simplicity doesn't exist if we're talking about Katoki's visual style though. There's a reason why he's engineering the more complex grade Gundam model kits these days instead of doing mechanical design for animation. The extremely complex and busy look -is- Katoki. It's what fans expect of him, and it's what he likes to portray in mechanical detailing. The look is perfect for him.

Plus, it's clearly not entirely CG. The effects mostly look traditionally animated.

Branduil

Simplicity doesn't exist if we're talking about Katoki's visual style though. There's a reason why he's engineering the more complex grade Gundam model kits these days instead of doing mechanical design for animation. The extremely complex and busy look -is- Katoki. It's what fans expect of him, and it's what he likes to portray in mechanical detailing. The look is perfect for him.

Plus, it's clearly not entirely CG. The effects mostly look traditionally animated.

Yeah, they are, and they look really good.

I'm not saying it looks bad, necessarily, but I think there can be drawbacks to using really detailed designs. The suits look the best in that slow-motion shot near the beginning.

Still, CG mecha would be way more acceptable if they all looked like that.

duckroll

Yeah, they are, and they look really good.

I'm not saying it looks bad, necessarily, but I think there can be drawbacks to using really detailed designs. The suits look the best in that slow-motion shot near the beginning.

Still, CG mecha would be way more acceptable if they all looked like that.

I agree, there are definitely drawbacks. Like I said, there's a reason why he hasn't been very active doing animation designs anymore, because it's just kinda impractical for any sort of budget. But it's kinda cool for a short like this though. It looks like a really dreamy hyper-realistic sci-fi anime filled with detail. If it were any longer, it would probably get really weird.

Even with Gundam Unicorn, where Sunrise tried their hardest to do really nice detailed 2D animated mecha scenes, they have had to use increasingly more and more CG in each installment because their animators were just dying. Lol. :(

That's what Katoki designs do to people. :(

Branduil

I agree, there are definitely drawbacks. Like I said, there's a reason why he hasn't been very active doing animation designs anymore, because it's just kinda impractical for any sort of budget. But it's kinda cool for a short like this though. It looks like a really dreamy hyper-realistic sci-fi anime filled with detail. If it were any longer, it would probably get really weird.

Even with Gundam Unicorn, where Sunrise tried their hardest to do really nice detailed 2D animated mecha scenes, they have had to use increasingly more and more CG in each installment because their animators were just dying. Lol. :(

Well, CGI is definitely a godsend for designers like him, as it's much more suitable for that kind of detail. Hopefully we get more CGI that uses techniques like line-weighting to at least give it more of a hand-drawn feel.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Pussies.

I'm not one to talk at all.

Theonik

Short Peace looks very nice especially from what you can expect from Anime CG usually. The fact there doesn't seem to be a 2D/3D clash most of the time certainly helps also.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha is still a bad adaptation, but the revelation at the end of episode 9 is probably the most interesting and evocative thing I've seen this season. It makes me wish that was the bulk of the show, actually.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
When are the last two episodes of GuP being aired again? It's this month, right?

WAIT WHO CARES A YUKARI DOUJIN JUST GOT SCANED OMG. Oh damn! Take that Yukari!! taaaakeee itttttt!!! &#12541;(&#8807;&#1044;&#8806;)&#12494;

Theonik

When are the last two episodes of GuP being aired again? It's this month, right?

WAIT WHO CARES A YUKARI DOUJIN JUST GOT SCANED OMG. Oh damn! Take that Yukari!! taaaakeee itttttt!!! &#12541;(&#8807;&#1044;&#8806;)&#12494;
I think it's this month. In 2 weeks I think?
Excellent news.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru 8
xqXZDFSl.jpg

Moe.

I will say, as seemingly the lone complainer, this is how I would like the show to be paced - especially if they're not willing to actually take the time/budget to go into the lives of the opponents that they face.

Although, the ending makes no sense since they basically revealed that
the characters don't speak English earlier. Continuity error for the sake of a good ending to the match I suppose. lol
Oh, and I guess related to that, Engrish alart, Engrish alart!

And the actual ending of the episode was hilarious because of all that it implies.
Arata got that swagger, bro.

I'm still waiting for more people to see the second OAV episode. There's a scene that I think a British self-proclaimed comedy aficionado like BGBW would appreciate.
Does a giant foot come down and crush someone? Or do they end up fighting in WW1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom