• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

GaoGaiGar 8

Guy is like the kind of hero I would come up with as a kid. Cyborg whose only human part is his head. Man, that's gotta suck, going through life without, you know, a dick. Or the ability to feel anything you touch. The most nonsensical part of this all is that Guy was completely intact when he landed, even if he was banged up. His dad is just a mad scientist who looks like Dr. Wily.

And I guess Guy was in love with Mikoto before his horrible transformation into a dickless robot?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nobody likes the first episode--between this and Dusk Maiden, you have to wonder if Oonuma Shin makes convoluted first episodes that poorly represent what shows are going to be like as some kind of intentional and twisted stylistic choice. Starting with the next episode you'll probably see more of what fans of the show find endearing; the first episode is a gimmick episode and does a bad job of introducing the protagonist or indicating that the show is actually a magical realism slice-of-life/comedy with a surprising amount of emotional range.

The QUALITY never gets better, though, so make your peace with that! It's SHAFT's lowest-budget show ever to the point that it feels more like a stage play than an animation sometimes.

I guess I am the only true fan in this room. smh, smh. :p

Vivired Operation 6
What kind of beach episode has girls picking up trash?
Did you play Persona 4?!

Hey, could you guys tell me if this sounds familiar? I'm trying to think of where this scene is from. I think it's from an anime, but I can't remember.

One or two kids are forbidden to go into a cave. They end up going in, there's charms everywhere, and one or both of them encounters a winged demon nailed high up on a wall, or tied up on something. I think it was withered/looks dead. I think, think they end up screwing up the charms there and the demon ends up possessing one of them or something like that.

edit: Wait! I'm pretty sure the demon makes a deal with one of them in exchange for releasing it.

It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

Hmm, only a few with similar tropes come to mind but nothing that really fits exactly. Mind giving some more context? When or where did ya see it? Was it dubbed? Did it air on TV? How old did it look? things like that.

Clevinger

Hmm, only a few with similar tropes come to mind but nothing that really fits exactly. Mind giving some more context? When or where did ya see it? Was it dubbed? Did it air on TV? How old did it look? things like that.

Heh. I'm not even sure it was an anime. I just know it wasn't a live action TV show or a movie. So either an anime or a game, but I don't think it's a game either. It's entirely possible that it's some dream I had that I'm just now remembering.

Articalys

Bizarrely enough, it seems that the BD of the Revolutionary Girl Utena: Adolescence Apocalypse movie that was in the new box set does have English subtitles, even if the rest of the series in the BD sets doesn't.

Vivired Operation 6

What kind of beach episode has girls picking up trash? In any how, (most links nsfw) plenty of shots for the whole family. There's lso more irrefutable evidence that the grandfather is an unapologetic sick old man! Bless his
now frozen
heart. Momo can only hopelessly spectate as his blood (and butt)-thirsty madness continues! So yeah, bikinis everywhere! Again, I love how the professor is doing the whole "Let's make them stronger friends" typical nonsense, but with a sadistic grin on his face the entire time. It makes the type of episode much better to watch than a loving, soft approach to it.

This episode was silly, fun, "hawt" and silly. I hope another one in similar vein shows up before all is said and done.

These file names, I see them.

cajunator

Banned
Everyone has such bad experiences with anime clubs, lol. I enjoy hanging out with the people in mine, and we're watching Nodame Cantabile and Tsuritama.

I had good experiences, but thats because I was there around 2000-2006 and most of what was shown was old school stuff as well as the new stuff as it came out.

http://www.majocco.jp/

Majocco Shimai no Yoyo to Nene

Staff
Original Work: Hirarin
Director: Takayuki Hirao
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Yuka Shibata
Assistant Director: Takuro Takahashi
Theme Song Artist: Mikako Komatsu

Cast
Yoyo: Sumire Morohoshi
Nene: Ai Kakuma

Ufotable putting Hirao's skills to good use again. <3

It wasn't... a review. :(

Can't wait for this.

Futari wa Pretty Cure 3

Note to Zakenna: when you have your enemy saying "I can't breathe!", you don't fucking stop. You've got them by the (metaphorical) balls. Chucking them into a wall is pointless. Pretty Cure would be dead and you would have all seven stones if you hadn't gotten stupid. Nice job.

Pretty meh episode overall. How the hell did what's-his-face just come in and present himself as a student teacher? Nobody seemed to be husks when he first showed up. And why did people think he was cute? He's as pale as a cocaine-addicted ghost, for crying out loud.

Scene with Honoka's grandmother was pretty cute though.

Honoka's grandma is greatness. She seems to know a bit more than she lets on about...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/videos/anime/genres/action

So is there anything in this category between 13 and 26 episodes worth watching? Feel like I need something action-y to counterbalance iM@S.

Harlock, Catblue Dynamite, Dog Days, Galaxy Express, Moribito, and Precure

everybody in the early 2000's was trying new eye/iris styles.

Truth. I loved that era because of how adventurous it got with art styles.
One of my favorites is the Kiddy Grade/Uta Kata style.
Sk1TXgX.jpg

Not really a troll though is it.

Not at this point, and I say that as a nintendo fan and WiiU owner.

Why not draw your own avatar month?

I would love to give this a shot. Would need a bit of help cropping it down into an avatar though.

Brilliant ways to make money #123,126: have a character who changes hair color and sell two of the exact same figure of her, one for each color, and each at full price.

OH MY GOD. OH MYGFGHJGFJGFJTyfgjdfghfgjklfkgyy7457657680607890fhh$^%&^&^YERgfgdfy%6hdff
fhgfjgj
hgfh
HGJ
gfF

*%^^@

One Piece 585
tumblr_miuw81U6L91s57tgdo1_500.gif

Just wish Traffy would come out and say Lets Play Up or something, really does sound like Freecell from Phi Brain. Anyway really good moments, I honestly dont remember reading anything of this episode beyond the people in ice (are they the prisoners that escaped a previous arc) and just Law's epic presence.

Theonik

Vividchet Oshiration 06
Beach episode? Beach episode! So much :Chet. Backstory was very interesting as well this time too. SD Burton probably approved that hime carry too. The characters of this show seem to not understand the meaning of not pushing correctly labelled buttons. Rei is so tsun "It's not like I wanted to help you or anything!" Hmm new ED. I guess it makes sense since we have all the characters now.

Why not draw your own avatar month?
But I can't draw.

Ultimadrago

Any one here ordered from Amiami.com before? Was wondering if the place is legit and how their shipping works.

It's legit. You place an order and you are charged when it is available and stocked when it is a preorder.

You can have yourself charged through credit card for straight charge once available or PayPal, in which they'll give you an email invoice when it's time to pay and a week's time from its sending to respond and pay before cancelling the order.

They usually have the best prices for the items they offer (new, off the shelves ones at least). However, be careful when ordering, since AmiAmi does not allow simple one-click cancellations. They say that they don't allow them at all, but I've heard stories where they have with a lot of loops involved. As long as you don't plan to cancel, they're one of the best.

(The Mondaiji one is really bad...as much as I like Iori Nomizu, she, uh...just kinda comes off as looking a bit silly in the PV. The Kotoura-san one is much, much better. Megumi Nakajima is adorable. :3)

I'm pretty surprised that I tolerated the whole Kotoura-san one given how much I hate the cheap looking OP in the anime but then again I guess everything is improved with giant props.

Clevinger said:
Heh. I'm not even sure it was an anime. I just know it wasn't a live action TV show or a movie. So either an anime or a game, but I don't think it's a game either. It's entirely possible that it's some dream I had that I'm just now remembering.

Oh that's not fair, now it's gonna drive ME nuts.

chitandacurious.gif

Ultimadrago

Did you play Persona 4?!

The beach event is in P4G, right? I don't have a Vita!

These file names, I see them.

Ha! I was hoping you would catch them.

I've been looking around, but can't find anything fitting the description.
It might be more obscure or maybe I'm not searching hard enough...

SLAYERS NEXT ( rewatch )
Thanks to someone in animegaf talking ..in had this urge to rewatch slayers .
Now the best season is obviously Next so i thought "hey why not rewatch this ?"

And that's what i did.

Slayers Next is a excellent mix between fantasy and comedy , backed up by a very good animation and an excellent soundtrack .

For the "next" season i realised the sheer amount of good moments i had while watching this season again . 13 eps a day and at no moment i had the feelign i was wasting my time.

On a visual aspect Slayers in spot-on .. It was great at the time of release and i'm glad to see that despite the fact that the show is not in Hd it has aged quite well .... each spell , each explosion has enough pyrotechnics to ensure that you know it's purpose and power and for the rares case you wouldn't know , someone will explain. This serie abuse of the "cut in frame" technique but despite that every scenes flow well into the other and the big fights across the series are so damn well animated.

slayers_next_-_19.jpg

Those moments where the show just make fun of itself are frequent in slayers Next
I can't show enough praise to the slayers soundtrack from goofy moments ( lot of trumpets ) to the serious moments ( still trumpets but with keyboards ) it's excellent . I joking about trumpets but with a wide range of themes used the good music made the really important moments , the moments with the most impact ( like ep 12 or 25 ) even more relevant since it tied to the scenes perfectly.
The "danger" & "battle" song are fantastic.

In terms of plot slayers is almost stand alone , but you need to see the first season first in order to trully enjoy the greatness of this serie.
For those who don't know , we follow the adventures of lina inverse a genius magician that love treasures, beating bandits for fun and adventures. She is accompanied by a quite diverse cast , composed of "gourry" a very very talented swordman , "zelgadis" , a magical swordman that is also a human chimera and "amelia" a white magic sorceress that desires to uphold the ideas of justice to the whole world.
New to the slayers series, we get introduced to "xellos" a mysterious priest that follow the gang across several countries.
slayers_next_-_20.jpg

Also in the cast is martina , her goal is simple, her actions aren't ...yet she is brave enough to persevere despite the numerous trials in front of her.
It's a shame that this season is not stand alone because many characters , setups and settings won't be reintroduced much in this season , so a watch of season 1 is necessary. Still if you haven't watched slayers Yet, just do it in term of fantasy and comedy , it's at the top of his game.

Slayers NEXT is a legendary season for me , a perfect mix of tension,comedy, badassery and such an epic finale.
If you haven't seen it yet , just watch it !
I am a darkness beyond blackest pitch
Deeper than the deepest night

My mind is my power
My power is my mind
When uncorrupted by other elements, my mind is my pure power.

Only my mind exist in this place.
You, who desperatly seeks destruction
As you wish , you shall be destroyed !

Dammit ..watching this season just made me realise how slayers revolution & evolution-R were bad

Xamdou

It's legit. You place an order and you are charged when it is available and stocked when it is a preorder.

You can have yourself charged through credit card for straight charge once available or PayPal, in which they'll give you an email invoice when it's time to pay and a week's time from its sending to respond and pay before cancelling the order.

They usually have the best prices for the items they offer (new, off the shelves ones at least). However, be careful when ordering, since AmiAmi does not allow simple one-click cancellations. They say that they don't allow them at all, but I've heard stories where they have with a lot of loops involved. As long as you don't plan to cancel, they're one of the best.

I see, any idea how much their shipping cost in U.S dollars?

Ultimadrago

I see, any idea how much their shipping cost in U.S dollars?

It mainly depends on the weight. You can use a converter online to get an idea of the USD amount. As for methods, most people I speak with go with SAL Unregistered, as it's the cheapest (and I've heard of very few issues with items making it to their destination). But I prefer a little peace of mind, so I almost always go Air Small Packet. It comes quicker with tracking but isn't the very high price of EMS.

CorvoSol

Oh man, I so have to go back and watch Slayers again. I always crap out around TRY.

The 08th MS Team 5

So I don't much like Ainoa as a character. I mean, I don't HATE her, but she kinda rubs me the wrong way with her "I hate this war" stuff. I mean, yeah girl, who doesn't? But the rank and file guys don't get to sleep in nice beds and wear nice clothes and eat nice food so hush up.

Anyway, this episode was about Elidor and how he kinda needed to get over himself. Which he sort of did, just in time to be put on a bus. SORRY KIDS WHO ELIDOR WAS YOUR FAVORITE CHARACTER. Mikhail was along just so he could try and develop his character a bit. Both of these nerds get upstaged by Ol' Man Jenkins, who is a-courtin' the young miss Maria, a spritely lass of a mere 50 years.

cajunator

Banned
On second though, maybe I can wait for Alter, Kotobukiya, and Good smile co to show their versions of Kurousagi. No doubt those will all be exquisite. But do I really need 3 versions of her?
Of course I do

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
SLAYERS NEXT ( rewatch )

One of my all-time favorite shows, and the origin of my real-world nickname "Zel". :D

There are so many things about Slayers I love. I love the tongue in cheek humor, the chemistry of the cast, the humorous musical cues, the artwork and style. But NEXT is by far the best of the bunch. It follows the same pattern as the first series, but adds in the growing bonds between characters, Lina and Gourry in particular. Xellos also added in a wonderful spice of unpredictability as you'd never know when and where he'd show up next or when he'd disappear. Even the most worthless character from the first series, Sylpheel, gets some growth as well.

NEXT also employs better pacing than the original, despite also having 4 filler episodes like the first and third and.... well let's just say that in any Slayers show episodes 14-17 are always filler. It's some kind of law. But it's precisely because of the exploration of the characters that the pacing improves. Fast paced action/comedy needs the occasional breather; a quiet moment here and there to let us see a little bit more into the hearts of our heroes. NEXT does it beautifully. ^^

Xamdou

It mainly depends on the weight. You can use a converter online to get an idea of the USD amount. As for methods, most people I speak with go with SAL Unregistered, as it's the cheapest (and I've heard of very few issues with items making it to their destination). But I prefer a little peace of mind, so I almost always go Air Small Packet. It comes quicker with tracking but isn't the very high price of EMS.

I see thanks!

Depends on if you get it shipped by SAL or EMS.

So which is the fastest and comes with tracking?

cajunator

Banned
EMS is the fastest and comes with tracking, but the price margin is the highest. SAL Registered is the lowest price that comes with tracking, but it's still under the slowest arrival estimate. Air Small Packet is the middle man for international orders.

Unfortunately I usually order large figures so EMS almost has to be the option.

One of my all-time favorite shows, and the origin of my real-world nickname "Zel". :D

There are so many things about Slayers I love. I love the tongue in cheek humor, the chemistry of the cast, the humorous musical cues, the artwork and style. But NEXT is by far the best of the bunch. It follows the same pattern as the first series, but adds in the growing bonds between characters, Lina and Gourry in particular. Xellos also added in a wonderful spice of unpredictability as you'd never know when and where he'd show up next or when he'd disappear. Even the most worthless character from the first series, Sylpheel, gets some growth as well.
it's impressive how improved from the first serie "next" is ..Copy rezo was a great vilain , but next give you so many dangerous foes , so many dangerous situations... having a cast that think by itself is really something rare these days.
NEXT also employs better pacing than the original, despite also having 4 filler episodes like the first and third and.... well let's just say that in any Slayers show episodes 14-17 are always filler. It's some kind of law. But it's precisely because of the exploration of the characters that the pacing improves. Fast paced action/comedy needs the occasional breather; a quiet moment here and there to let us see a little bit more into the hearts of our heroes. NEXT does it beautifully. ^^

Felinne , the country of maidens .. hard to top this filler even if i have to admit that the assassin ship in slayers REVOLUTION was quite good.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
it's impressive how improved from the first serie "next" is ..Copy rezo was a great vilain , but next give you so many dangerous foes , so many dangerous situations... having a cast that think by itself is really something rare these days.

Felinne , the country of maidens .. hard to top this filler even if i have to admit that the assassin ship in slayers REVOLUTION was quite good.

Don't get me wrong, I never minded the filler episodes as they were quite fun. I just found it amusing that each and every Slayers TV series put them in episodes 14-17. Each time. Without fail. XD

Articalys

And another long-running shonen bites the dust -- apparently the Fairy Tail anime will be ending for now on March 30.

I guess it might be a timeslot change or a hiatus before coming back later or something though, who knows.

CorvoSol

SWEET JESUS, is this character's name really REVIVE REVIVAL?

And where did these A-LAWS people come from? I don't remember them in the last episode, which was about America playing the Gundams to their favor.

EDIT: Oh, that's the wrong season.

But seriously, REVIVE REVIVAL?

Oh God, there's still SOME chance this show doesn't suck, right?

Xamdou

EMS, but its much more expensive.
It has a very good tracking system though. I think SAL might be trackable too and is much cheaper but can take several weeks.

Most welcome!

EMS is the fastest and comes with tracking, but the price margin is the highest. SAL Registered is the lowest price that comes with tracking, but it's still under the slowest arrival estimate. Air Small Packet is the middle man for international orders.

Thanks for the quick replies! I think I will go for Air small packet since it will arrive in 1-2 weeks and has up to 6,000 yen coverage.

Also these are the two items I want to pre-order:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-IPN-5598

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-8186

The Kirito figma releases in May while the Asuna is released in June. Since they will ship separately I assume the shipping will cost even more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom