• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's something kinda neat in episode 8 regarding how he feels towards her. It gets glossed over for a long while after though.

Oh he's totally into her, he's just got too much to do with kicking ass and tanking names. It's a lot to juggle.

CorvoSol

Goes to shit like 10 eps into season 2. This is from the guy that kinda liked Gundam AGE so you know what my tolerance levels are like!

Yeah, I have the feeling I won't watch Season 2, but we'll see. Maybe I'll turn around part way through. I will say that I rather like the OP to this show. And While I think that the "Alleluia vs Hallelujah" part of his character is stupid, Hapishtim is otherwise on the list of likeable characters, along with Lockon, Haro, and Capt. Boobs McGee, who made the list for talkin' smack about the purple haired character of questionable masculinity when he smack talked her.

So I mean, they're not ALL Shinn, and I can survive stupid names. What I need to know is if the Char is good or not.

Domon's just got that much swag. Just talking to a girl makes them think they're his girl.

Domon is King of Swag, not Hearts. Like, seriously, is he Kamina's dad? He must be Kamina's dad. The capes would explain a lot.

I've had a couple friends recommend it to me and it looks really lightweight for no reason I can properly articulate.

It follows the shounen formula to a fault. For someone like me, that's totally fine but obviously not for everyone.

If nothing else, it's fun, but I can admit the major flaws it has like constant asspulls, poor animation, ugly CG fire, and an inconsistent sense of escalation. It does have its moments and there are even a few fights that I would say stand out as some of the better ones the genre has to offer. But for the most part, it's just a generic, poor man's One Piece starring mages.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've just had Minami-ke recommended to me. Is it a pretty good show? What other series does it most parallel?
It's a sitcom-ey slice of life about three girls and their friends. The one that immediately jumps to mind is Class 5-2, but that's not a perfect comparison.

Probably it's most unique feature, given the state of anime today, is that it acknowledges the existence of both genders. lol

Narag

Yeah, I have the feeling I won't watch Season 2, but we'll see. Maybe I'll turn around part way through. I will say that I rather like the OP to this show. And While I think that the "Alleluia vs Hallelujah" part of his character is stupid, Hapishtim is otherwise on the list of likeable characters, along with Lockon, Haro, and Capt. Boobs McGee, who made the list for talkin' smack about the purple haired character of questionable masculinity when he smack talked her.

What I need to know is if the Char is good or not.

Second OP is pretty great and you may find the first season's ending to be acceptable enough you don't feel the need to continue which is a wise choice if you make it.

The show's Char is fuckawful though. The shitheel Darth Vader guy in F91 was better than this one.

cajunator

Banned
Futari Wa Precure 38

Nagisa and honoka have shopping plans but Nagisa's father needs something brought to him. Nagisa's little brother, Ryouta, volunteers. He's a little kid so Honoka and Nagisa follow him from afar.
I love the crazy evil lady's transformation with the hair bounce. Look forward to it every episode. Of course as Ryouta enters a building, the crazy villain attacks and its up to the Precure to save the day again. Which they do. and then Ryouta delivers the package to his dad. Another happy ending thanks to- PRECURE!

As usual, when I'm bored enough and stumble across something like this, avatars are made.

k2tb0X4.png
gW5YlcA.png
BRDF6q0.png
5gRc3Ea.png
Njd4C7O.png

woy00uW.png
htcemMa.png
NNnZ9T7.png
wRCk1Zg.png

I love these things so much. Especially the Kuroneko and Kuroyukihime ones.

Don't get me wrong, I never minded the filler episodes as they were quite fun. I just found it amusing that each and every Slayers TV series put them in episodes 14-17. Each time. Without fail. XD

Oh my gosh I loved Slayers and NEXT. I did love Rezo. Poor guy. Xellos was pretty happy too. Love my old stuff like that. xD

CorvoSol

Second OP is pretty great and you may find the first season's ending to be acceptable enough you don't feel the need to continue which is a wise choice if you make it.

The show's Char is fuckawful though. The shitheel Darth Vader guy in F91 was better than this one.

Awww, man. If both protagonist AND Char suck, I really will be rooting for Lockon the whole time. Here's hoping he doesn't turn out like Ryu.

GTO 2

Awww. This episode we learn Onizuka's inspirational reason for wanting to be a teacher. That's the fun thing about GTO. It's a comedy, and it can be pretty crass at times, but underneath that rough exterior, it's a nice story about a guy who wants to help kids not be the kind of screw ups he was.

Narag

Awww, man. If both protagonist AND Char suck, I really will be rooting for Lockon the whole time. Here's hoping he doesn't turn out like Ryu.

I'm surprised you don't care for Setsuna. Thought you liked Heero Yuy and they're rather similar. Then again it might end up a situation like I encountered with Heero where I didn't really care for him until I understood why he was the way he was.

Solune

You're alive~!
Awakening and Rising~
GTO 2

Awww. This episode we learn Onizuka's inspirational reason for wanting to be a teacher. That's the fun thing about GTO. It's a comedy, and it can be pretty crass at times, but underneath that rough exterior, it's a nice story about a guy who wants to help kids not be the kind of screw ups he was.

GTO is consistently entertaining and the perfect example of taking an ordinary scenario and making it extraordinary.

wonzo

Banned
Chihayafuru S2 8

chihayas28.jpg

Oh boy, I wondered why there was such a notable dip in the animation quality of this episode compared to all the others this season and it wasn't until I saw GONZO listed in the credits that suddenly everything clicked. Oh well, that didn't really stop me from enjoying this episode as it did something I never really expected it to and essentially used "foreigner" students at a school to touch upon racism in Japan and how even those that've grown up there still struggle with trying to fit in in Japans ridiculously conformist society. I hope we see them and the crazy airhead again.

Branduil

I had some similar thoughts of my own, about that being where the emphasis may go, but I guess it just never came through strong enough for me.

I appreciate that the characters actions all portray a certain sense of awkwardness, and it's commendable that they do undergo changes throughout the course of the story. I just had issues with the contrivances that are used to orchestrate those events, which seemed to run contrary to all of that. The misunderstandings or oversights never really felt like their own misguided interpretations of one another, rather the situation itself. It's for those reasons, that I felt like a lot of the developments felt artificial, because almost all of it unfolded before our eyes. Any inherent duplicity was born out of the characters acting rashly during those pivotal moments, rather than some underlying motives. I think that any ambiguity would have been reserved for those around Taiga and Ryuuji, and not the pair themselves.

The chemistry between the leads was certainly there, it was just the resolution that lead to their coming together felt rushed. I had no problem with what ultimately conspired (and it was clear to see the intent from the very beginning), just how it was portrayed.

So what you're basically saying is :Mari Okada.

cajunator

Banned
Milky Holmes II 10

Poor nipples-kun.

That was a weird episode. Well, I guess Milky Holmes weird. So, a good episode.

I guess this is the end game for this season, a lard ending.

That show is so strange. Like stranger than the typical anime. Which makes it super strange.

Nafe

Heartcatch Precure!

Episode 2

It seems then that either all or maybe most of the PreCure shows have the idea of the lead heroine being surprised by the amount of power they have by jumping up really high into the sky in their first battle. Also, since I'm not SDBurton, I didn't really care about the momentary Containment Breach of the Garden or whatever due to the appearance of Tuxedoless Maskless, haha. While the general antics around the fight with Tsubomi running around were amusing at first it was maybe starting to drag on a little.

This episode also answered the question of who Cure Flower was. There really wasn't that much lead up into it so honestly the big surprise, if it was even supposed to be one, sort of fell flat with me. Maybe the shock value was somewhat further mitigated by the fact that I had already seen a similar plot element used in the first PreCure. When Tsubomi is talking to her grandmother after the fight, her character design kind of reminded me of an elderly lady type character you might meet in a Zelda game.

The general faces and antics were again generally very pleasing throughout but at times I felt some of the reactions were maybe a bit overboard for the rather simplistic things they were displaying their shock over. The fight itself was also quite entertaining to watch and well animated. Personally I also always liked the voice echoing type audio effect that happens when the girls are calling out the names of their super moves.

Lastly, I'm not really a fan of how the Heart Seeds are produced or maybe more accurately, where they are coming from, haha. That whole scene could definitely also make some viewers think of the whole "Buy our toys!" idea.

Overall mostly a fun time and I look forward to the next.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watch G Gundam.
re-watch Tengen Toppa
Hmm, I am missing some mecha from my life...
Backlog Season welcomes all refugees.
I've been in Backlog Season mode since Fall. I finished Nadia and got through more than half of Goldfish Warning! in a little over two months. You can't blame me for not trying!
Latch onto this feeling long enough and perhaps you can free yourself from this vile hobby.
And leave you all to your demise? I'm not that egocentric.

Clevinger

Hey, could you guys tell me if this sounds familiar? I'm trying to think of where this scene is from. I think it's from an anime, but I can't remember.

One or two kids are forbidden to go into a cave. They end up going in, there's charms everywhere, and one or both of them encounters a winged demon nailed high up on a wall, or tied up on something. I think it was withered/looks dead. I think, think they end up screwing up the charms there and the demon ends up possessing one of them or something like that.

edit: Wait! I'm pretty sure the demon makes a deal with one of them in exchange for releasing it.

It's driving me nuts. Thanks.

I figured it out! It wasn't from an anime, but a manga/manhwa: Shin Angyo Onshi.

Dresden

70 hours of work a week means you don't need money for anything other than ramen or cigarettes anyways. Living the life.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm honestly shocked that anime isn't being farmed out to Korea or China more often. If it's good enough for The Simpsons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom